Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

David Hayter in MGSV:TPP? (Theory)

• 67 results
    marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By marc

@darson: keep in mind Solid never knew who liquid was until mgs1. Would make zero sense for them to be anywhere near each other in mgs5.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvippy said:

So is Hayter in the game after all?

spoiler? he isnt

avenged22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People just need to get over it at this point.Hayter had a good run but I also thought he sounded pretty bad in Peace Walker. Like he did the gravelly voice in MGS4 and forgot how to go back.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/08/01/interview-with-david-hayter-on-devils-mile-wolves-black-widow-and-metal-gear-solid-v/

Nerd Reactor:You’ve recently tweeted about Metal Gear – your involvement or non-involvement, and there are fans that still believe that you’re in it, because they think Hideo Kojima is trolling them. Or maybe you signed an NDA?

David Hayter:No, no. I never signed any NDA. When you’re not in a game, it’s very difficult for them to get you to sign anything pertaining to it. It’s disappointing that fans still believe I’m gonna be in it, because I think that reduces the pressure that should be put on Konami and Kojima to bring me back. So I’ll say it again, I’m not in the game. In any way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Let me remind people that: Hayter is voicing a character in Igarashi's Bloodstained. I didn't do any legwork to check if they're contracting Formosa for VO, but THAT'S the actual likely scenario, in my mind. He probably also has VO work that he hasn't mentioned.

Yes, I believe Hayter was the signature voice.

Yes, I think Sutherland was jarring replacement to a differentiating point I fail to see.

Yes, I think I'll get used to not hearing Hayter.

Yes, I think we can move on and accept the fact that Hayter probably played his last Snake in Peacewalker.

Yes, ALL of this has been bizarre.

Yes, I believe we will play it, have memories of it, move on, and look back at this saga with a chuckle.

Chin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Chin
    @jensonb said:
    @csl316 said:

I assume Hayter wanted a ton of money for one last hurrah, and Kojima wanted to pay him but Konami said "No, here's Keifer for cheaper."

And then Kojima secretly hired Hayter anyway for a post-credits scene. Which then led to PT being delisted, among other things.

You think David Hayter is more expensive than Kiefer Sutherland? That seems unlikely.

@kiryu said:

No way Hayter is more expensive than Kiefer.

if i recall hayter took a paycut for the twin snakes remake to help bring back the original voices for that game so i dont think this would be the reason and i think he stated (tweeted?) he was never asked or contacted about being snake in MGSV so...

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why keep theorizing? Million of reviews are out already, millions are already playing and many have finished.

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc: So if Hayter really isn't in MGS5, then I'm infinitely sad, but not because I liove Hayter so much, but because it means Kojima is just a simple asshole, who doesn't care about people, his friends. He didn't have the courtesy to even just call Hayter about the whole issue. Kojima sucks. =(((((

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@marc: He can still be in the game though of course.

@onimonkii: True but timeline wise Snake was 40 in MGS4 but he obviously didn't look it.

But since Eli is obviously Liquid it seems if Solid shows up at all he'd be a similar age and won't be voiced by gruffly Hayter.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By marc

@darson said:

@marc: He can still be in the game though of course.

@onimonkii: True but timeline wise Snake was 40 in MGS4 but he obviously didn't look it.

But since Eli is obviously Liquid it seems if Solid shows up at all he'd be a similar age and won't be voiced by gruffly Hayter.

I know the answer to this, but of course I will not say. But for anyone who does want to know...

SPOILER:

He isn't

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvippy said:

@marc: So if Hayter really isn't in MGS5, then I'm infinitely sad, but not because I liove Hayter so much, but because it means Kojima is just a simple asshole, who doesn't care about people, his friends. He didn't have the courtesy to even just call Hayter about the whole issue. Kojima sucks. =(((((

I don't agree with this. It's not like they had a lifetime contract with Hayter. He was contracted on a game by game basis. He wasn't needed, he wasn't contacted. They never owed him anything. IMO it would have been shittier to arrange a meeting with him just to say no, we're replacing you. Yes, he was told that in the end. But remember that he actively sought out to find that out himself. His embarrassing performance in Peace Walker was enough of a reason for KP to go a different route really. His VO in that game was cringeworthy. I was glad to see Kiefer casted for the role. With Snakes tone in TPP, Hayter's VO would have been baaaaaaaaaaad.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc said:
    @tvippy said:

I don't agree with this. It's not like they had a lifetime contract with Hayter. He was contracted on a game by game basis. He wasn't needed, he wasn't contacted. They never owed him anything. IMO it would have been shittier to arrange a meeting with him just to say no, we're replacing you. Yes, he was told that in the end. But remember that he actively sought out to find that out himself. His embarrassing performance in Peace Walker was enough of a reason for KP to go a different route really. His VO in that game was cringeworthy. I was glad to see Kiefer casted for the role. With Snakes tone in TPP, Hayter's VO would have been baaaaaaaaaaad.

Honestly from watching Drew and Dan watch PW I thought Hayters voice work was way better in that game than anything he had done since MGS. I agree on all your other points though.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: I thought it was the absolute worst. He straight up cannot yell in that voice without it sounding foolish. He was great in MGS. Perfectly fine in MGS2, but I felt he kept getting worse after that. Kiefer's work is a lot more subtle and natural. When he has to yell in TPP, it just sounds oh so right. Something Hayter's Snake voice cannot touch. Also, have you ever seen Hayter's face while doing the Snake voice? You can forget about Mo-capping it lol. I felt by the time PW came, Hayter's Snake voice started to sound like more of a parody of it than it actually being good.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc said:

@tothenines: I thought it was the absolute worst. He straight up cannot yell in that voice without it sounding foolish. He was great in MGS. Perfectly fine in MGS2, but I felt he kept getting worse after that. Kiefer's work is a lot more subtle and natural. When he has to yell in TPP, it just sounds oh so right. Something Hayter's Snake voice cannot touch. Also, have you ever seen Hayter's face while doing the Snake voice? You can forget about Mo-capping it lol. I felt by the time PW came, Hayter's Snake voice started to sound like more of a parody of it than it actually being good.

Loading Video...

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: Now, just imagine Hayter's face being mo-capped while doing that.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: They both sound fucking ridiculous.

Galileo711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you guys gotta remember that they are both super old at the time, Hayter even said in an interview that he made his voice even scruffier for the incarnation of solid snake.

also i kinda have a theory... what if ground zeroes was all a vr mission? and they have a fake snake/clone repeating those missions over and over again until he actually believes he is the big boss, then they wake him up and tell him he was in a 9 year coma, it wouldnt be the first time a elaborate vr mission would be used to make someone think he was snake, *cough* Raiden *cough* the real snake is actually safely recuperating in another hospital to keep is body and genes safe. that would explain the sudden change of voice actors, and also why at the end of mgs4, we dont see big boss with a robot arm or shrapnel in his head, its not like you can just pull that shit out and be ok afterwards... anybody care to elaborate on this with me?

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc said:
    @tvippy said:

It's a different problem altogether. Hayter truly thought he was FRIENDS with Kojima (Hayter lived in Japan for 4 years and can also speak Japanese), they were buddies, so he had all the reasons to expect a call from his friend, politely explaining the reasons he was not being cast. That's what it's all about!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.