Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

In Preparation: What's the best way to play Peace Walker?

stune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are a bunch of different versions and I have the consoles to play all of them. Is the multiplayer absolutely clutch? Is the Vita version good? Should I dig out my PSP?

Is it necessary to even play Peace Walker? Is it any good? I wasn't really in and around this series when it came out so I have little frame of reference to it.

Thanks!

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thepullquotes

I really enjoyed it on the 360, but I had nobody to play it with. It would probably be smart to have a GB group playing online.

It's totally viable as a single player game, it's probably more fun with others.

You get to meet Otacon's Dad and possibly his mum

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kasaioni

I think this thread will answer most of your questions. http://www.giantbomb.com/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/3030-26817/forums/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-worth-playing-1779196/#26

If you really want to play the game, find someone to co-op with who has everything unlocked already. The story missions are ridiculously easy with all the right equipment. (Pupa dies in just two shots from the M47 rocket launcher).

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#4  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

The best way to play would be the PS3 version due to its larger playerbase, followed by the 360 version. There is no native Vita version, you can play the PSP version with a digital second analog stick but that version is stuck at 20fps instead of the consoles' 60 and I don't think it has online Co-op. Co-op isn't mandatory for finishing the game but it helps a lot if you're going for 100% completion, which isn't necessary if you're just prepping yourself for Phantom Pain. We don't know yet how crucial it will be to understanding PP, but some Peace Walker stuff shows up in the latest trailer so it's probably a safe bet. Also imagine trying to play MGS4 without having played one of the earlier games and still being able to make sense of everything. Also as a tip, there are two endings to the game so don't just stop playing once you see the credits, which a lot of people did.

Peace Walker is pretty polarizing, some people love it and some people hate it. I'm personally in the love it camp, I really enjoyed the mission based structure and found the stealth a lot more rewarding than MGS4, in that it stays a stealth game for the duration instead of turning into a bunch of set-pieces. The mechanics were a bit dumbed down to accommodate the PSP, which especially makes the console versions a cakewalk, but it's still an enjoyable game.

If you end up hating the game you could always just watch this video to get all the story. From what I've seen it's really well done, cutting in bits of gameplay where its necessary context for the cutscenes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@stune: Multiplayer is extremely helpful for boss battles as I always assumed the game is meant to be played like Monster Hunter since they have huge lifebars.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been forcing my way through PW and damn, all the bosses are bland as hell, just bullet sponges with zero personality but the gameplay is relly nice and enjoyable

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.