Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

(SPOILERS) Prerelease MGSV: TPP Spoiler Discussion

• 98 results
    Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

Currently this thread is being made before the actual release of TPP, but due to seemingly real leaks of strategy guides and even copies of the game(?) I feel it necessary for us to have a safe space for discussion. Now we can be dirty little spoiler knowing twerps without ruining anyone's fun.

These are some of the things that I have gathered from reading the MGS Reddit.

• The new Metal Gear ST 84 is like a humanoid mech during later portions of the game and is even a usable vehicle. (Really cool images in the strategy guide.)
    • The player character is Ishmael who's actual identity is still kind of a mystery, but you use a character creator to make his appearance.
    • There is a vocal cord virus that is a major story driving factor. Skullface's ace up his sleeve I'd guess.
    • The long rumored Psycho Mantis character has some weird gynecological connection to Big Boss or Ishmael or something, (I know this is super vague but ¯\(°_o)/¯.
    • 50 main missions with 150 optional.
    • The guide keeps referring to Ishmael and Ahab as two different characters and I gather that one is the real Big Boss and another is not. (also some weirdness with this and the Venom Snake and Punished Snake personas.)

All of this might be bullshit and speculation, but none of it seems too out there for Kojima and Metal Gear.

Also here's a bonus one that I think is nonsense:

• Quiet isn't male or female, but an early Skullface experiment and her(?) breasts are actually tumors from the weird infection that Skullface is using. Yeah, I'm hesitant to believe that.

Join in on the fun and just know that as of now this all may be real or this all may be nonsense.

(I know I have skipped over a ton of the spoilers but these are the things that have stuck with me.)

EDIT: Reddit user thabtoUK has done a good job collecting everything and making a easy to read list, all credit goes to thabtoUK linked here:

Just to refresh, the official Italian version of the The Phantom Pain guide printed by Piggyback states the following points.

This information is taken from these pictures:

http://batmariafg.imgur.com

Videos proving the validity of the these pictures can also be seen here, where information has additionally been taken from:

http://a.pomf.cat/vmqfmv.mp4

http://a.pomf.cat/qzeauc.mp4

I am semi-fluent in Italian and have personally translated these points myself from the pictures in the link.

Other native Italian speakers have also verified the below points.

Thanks to Crossing Eden, Sickboy007, DevilFox over on NeoGaf and Sangivstheworld and Damnfiddles on here for further translating, organising and bullet pointing some of this information.

GENERAL

• Avatar creation is for the online elements only.

• The are 50 main missions.

• There are 157 side missions.

• The alternate name of the ST-84 Metal Gear is confirmed to be the Sahelathropus.

• The ST-84 Metal Gear has 6 body parts. Every part has its own life bar and destroying each part gives different advantages.

• Zero orders Dr. Strangelove, who now works for DARPA, to develop The Patriots' AI to keep his control over the world.

• In the penultimate mission of the main story, you must make contact with and recover Code Talker. Code Talker is being guarded by The Skulls.

• The final mission of the main story is against the Metal Gear controlled by "The Third Child".

• The "Man on Fire" is Volgin. You have to get recover his body in Chapter 2.

• The guide says it's safe to assume that Eli is Liquid Snake.

SKULLFACE

• The guide states that Skullface is main antagonist of Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain and that he was born in Hungary, where his parents worked in a secret weapons factory.

• During the bombing of the weapons factory he was knocked down and trampled dalta terrified crowds fleeing in search of safety, causing serious injuries.

• Abandoned in critical condition and without any possibility of cure with conventional means, he survived thanks to the innovative therapy with parasites. However, this therapy also it caused his deformation and damage to his nervous system, meaning he can no longer feel pain.

• He was then recruited in secret by Major Zero and his mandate with the XOF unit was to watch over Big Boss and make sure that the important missions didn't fail. This includes Operation Snake Eater from Metal Gear Solid 3.

• Working for Zero and watching over Big Boss for many years lead to him resenting the two of them, particularly Zero.

• Skullface Mother Base in 1975 during the events of Ground Zeroes and tries to kill Big Boss by implanting bombs inside Paz

• When Skullface discovers that Zero and Strangelove are developing The Partriot AI, he develops a parasite that infects peoples' voice box. This parasite is developed by Code Talker, who has the cure, but does want to share it.

• Because of the information supplied by Paz at the end of Ground Zeroes, Skullface finds Zero and infects him with the parasite This causes Zero to slowly go into a vegetive state.

• Skullface plans to spread the parasite using the ST-84 Metal Gear.

• Skullface nearly completes his plan, but his overthrown by "The Third Child" after Mantis becomes enraged by Eli's presence in the XOF helicopter.

• Skullface is crushed by the ST-84 Metal Gear and Miller and Big Boss decide to leave him to die, so he can suffer.

• However, Huey ignores this idea and finally kills Skullface.

BIG BOSS/AHAB

• The guide strongly suggests through clues that the Medic from Ground Zeroes is the version of Big Boss who awakens from the coma in the hospital. This version of Big Boss is know as Ahab.

• The guide notes that Big Boss and the Medic have similar voices, so he is a strong candidate for being the version of Big Boss/Ahab that awakens from the coma in hospital.

• The guide also says that the Big Boss we see on the operating table in the "Don't you die on me dammit!" scene from the trailers does not have shrapnel in his head. The guide suggests that the Medic is the person to mostly have the shrapnel in his head, while also being the same hospital room, as he protected Big Boss from the Paz's bomb blast in the chopper in Ground Zeroes.

• The guide says that the version of Big Boss/Ahab that awakens for the coma in hospital has a DNA test done with Eli. Their DNA does not match. The guide goes on to state that Eli is a clone of the real Big Boss, their DNA should match, which again gives a glue to Ahab's identity.

• The guide notes that when Eli asks Ocelot where his father is, Ocelot replies that "Your father isn't here". This is despite the fact that Ahab is watching their conversation behind a two-way mirror.

ISHMAEL

• The guide doesn't say who Ishmael definitely say who Ishmeal is. Konami and Kojima Production asked Piggyback, the creators of the guide, not ti reveal it. Ishmael identity is revealed in an optional mission after the main story has ended.

• Huey is not sure of the version of Big Boss/Ahab's identity when he first meets him.

• It does however, go over some fan theories and gives clues towards the true identity of Ishmael.

• The guide discusses the theory that Ishmael is imaginary. It says that this can't be the case as Quiet sees Ishmael when she comes to assassinate the version of Big Boss/Venom Snake/Ahab that awakens for the coma in hospital.

• The guide says that the fact that there are "The Star of Bethlehem" lilies in the Ishmael's and the version of Big Boss/Ahab that awakens for the coma's room is a strong clue to the real identity of Ishmael. The states that these were The Boss' were hold a significance to The Boss.

• When Ahab sees the ghost of Paz the first time at Mother Base, he has an hallucination where there are clearly two versions of Big Boss on the chopper.

QUIET

• Quiet's hearing is ten times more sensitive than normal soldiers.

• Her vision is unaffected by time of day, so there is no difference in her sight between night and day.

• Quiet leaves you after mission 43 and to finish her story you will have to find her after the main one is over.

• Quiet goes to the hospital to kill Big Boss at the start of the game and speaks while doing so. She specifically says "Not yet. The patient in the next bed saw my face" in regards to if she has assassinated the version of Big Boss/Ahab that awaken's from a coma the hospital.

• Water has a negative affect of Quiet's powers.

• If you spray Quiet with water she will "writhe", because the parasites inside her are absorbing the water. She also reacts to rain.

THE SKULLS

• The are three versions of The Skulls; A fog Version, an armoured version and a camouflage version.

• All versions of The Skulls have health that slowly regenerate over time.

• Like Quiet, they also have a negative reaction water and rain.

• You can fulton every type of Skull, leading to different rewards.

• Like Quiet they have perfect vision during the night time and you can you can hear them breathing if you listen aiming with using one of thier sniper rifles.

• Destroying the "fog version"'s body parts to rapidly reduce their health and resistance.

• Fultoning the "armoured version" will reward with parasite enhanced armour.

• Fultoning the "camouflage version" leads to the creation of items that grant the player 30 seconds on invisibility.
      • The "camouflage version"'s body parts can't be destroyed, so headshots are the most useful way to defeat these skulls.

THE ENDING

NOTE: The excerpt of the guide that this translation is taken from does not clearly state which "Big Boss" is being referred to.

• The guide states that at the end of The Phantom Pain, the parasite that mutates peoples' vocal chords infects Mother Base. This forces Big Boss to exterminate his soldiers to prevent a global catastrophe.

• He continues by saying that although he takes on this responsibility without any apparent remorse, it's impossible from him to ignore the that he has contributed to these events. This causes him to unleash his "inner demon".

• The guide states Big Boss becomes the antagonist gradually, slowly consumed by what happens to him until all that is left is his obsession.

• After these events, Big Boss is more determined than ever to reinforce his troops, with the aim of forming a nation free from the governments' hegemony, a dream he will be on the verge of realising in the 1990's.

BOSS FIGHTS

• The Skulls

Fog Version - Missions 1 and 6.

Armoured Version - Missions 16, 29 and (And 37, 42 on Extreme Difficulty Only).

Camouflage Version - Missions 28 and 46.

• Quiet

Mission 11 (And 40 on Extreme Difficulty Only)

• The "Man on Fire"

Prologue and Mission 20

• Eli

Mission 23 (and Optional Mission 113).

• Sahelanthropous(Metal Gear ST-84)

Missions 12 and 31 (And Mission 50 on Extreme Difficulty Only)

MUSIC TAPES

The map from the guide also confirms that these are some of the music tapes that are collectable from different locations.

These are additional to some of the other music tapes that have already been confirmed:

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Thanks for going out of your way to double mark spoilers for people who are especially sensitive to them. Which, I'm normally one of those people, I just don't really care about Metal Gear. I guess I'm lucky in that respect, because I have a feeling the next few weeks on the internet are going to be pretty rough for people trying to avoid learning too much about Phantom Pain.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So we don't really know much. Half of that stuff is back of the box kind of stuff.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

These spoilers are super dumb and incredible. I want that Quiet one to be true so badly

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

What I've seen has said that the "vocal cord virus" as you refer to it is actually a parasite - essentially this game's nanomachines - and can effect the behavior of its host.

All of the stuff about the identity of Ishmael/Ahab/Big Boss/Venom Snake is super hazy at this point, but it seems like there has to be some sort of swerve there just based on the amount of confusion around it. Same goes for the speculation about Quiet - some of that stuff about her being Chico actually could potentially be true based on some of the stuff I've seen. She is a carrier of that vocal cord parasite and there are some parasites out there that legitimately can effect the gender of their host (not in humans but this is Metal Gear).

Also, the new Metal Gear design looks dumb as hell in my opinion. It's basically just a humanoid with MG Rex's head and just doesn't mesh with the design of most of the other tech in Metal Gear, particularly the MGS3/PW stuff.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope we get to play as the real BB because that is the story I wanted to see unfold. Not some random dude we have no connection with. The final game pulling a switcheroo would be kind of disappointing, but who knows, they could make it work.

Big Spoiler:

Also Skullface was apparently hired by Zero to make sure that Big Bosses missions were successful (This includes MGS3 Snake Eater). This kind of makes BB seem less bad ass if this ends up being true.

Tanum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I shouldn't read this. I know I will be upset with myself if I read this. I read this, all of it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@tanum said:

I shouldn't read this. I know I will be upset with myself if I read this. I read this, all of it.

Shhhhhhhhh. It's okay. I read it too. I hate myself.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I read all of this. I hope this everything is true because this all sounds so dumb.

Tanum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: Is there a support group for our Metal Gear based self-loathing?

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate myself

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@devil240z: Yeah. All of the info out there right now is pretty sketchy since it's largely just based on translations from a few glimpses of an Italian guide. I'm sure things will pick up once people are starting to get their hands on early copies. There's supposed to be reviews hitting Sunday, but I'm sure Konami probably has some very specific guidelines in place on what can be mentioned.

IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really just seems like all of YongYea's analysis is pretty damn close to true.

The thing that seems to be really exciting is the even in the "leaked" guide there is a QR code (apparently) that points to a site that's not up yet. That seems like a pretty clever way for them to control some of the leaks. (Crossing fingers for the Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 remake stuff people were speculating on in the late game.)

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guide implies pretty heavily that you aren't playing as Big Boss, but as the medic from Ground Zeroes with Big Boss' face and memories somehow.

Seems kind of odd to me, in a game series that has clones up the wazoo, to just have some random dude play lookalike. But apparently there's a DNA test between your character and baby Liquid and it comes back negative, implying he isn't Big Boss or a clone.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of that sounds really dumb, and not in the usual "crazy hilarious" way.

Weatherking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Weatherking

@fawkes: I read the whole translated section on that stuff and it reads more like internet theorizing than anything. I mean, who knows until we've played the thing, but regardless of the context of that text as an "official" guide it just seems like the writers speculation. You know, taking it with a grain of salt and all that.

I also went back and listened to the medics two or whatever lines in the ending of GZ, because one of the points the text made was that he sounded like BB, and yeah I could see how he sounds kind of like a pitch shifted Kiefer Sutherland but it's still not definitely similar enough to be reasonably claimed as proof of this theory.

To be honest it feels like people fetishize and overblow the mgs2 bait-and-switch way to much and see that stuff where it might not exist everywhere in Kojima's work. Even though he only did something like that that one time...

Edit: This is the translated bit I'm refering to http://imgur.com/a/kgbpE. Actually I also just watched the TPP reveal trailer again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaA1YP9XNko, because of two points made in the guide. This is regarding the scene in the beginning with Miller and BB in some sort of emergency medical thing, presumably right after the ending of GZ. 1: we get a very brief glimpse at the right side of BB's head, where you should supposedly be seeing the horn-shrapnel thing. The guide claims there is nothing there, I am skeptical of that assertion for a few reasons. the area is covered in blood, the camera is out of focus and lastly (and more weird rationalizing speculation from me :P) the horn seems to "grow" over the course of Phantom Pain, it would stand to reason it "grew" while BB was in a coma meaning it could have started out smaller and less noticeable right after he got it lodged in his skull.

Side note: Jesus christ, this is fictional why do I care so much about these tiny speculative details. Whatever let's go for it.

2. this I think is interesting and not something to refute except for the logical leap the writer seems to make. Miller asks how BB is doing after the doctors revive him, after they answer that he's in a coma, Miller looks at the camera and says, "What about him?". Who is this other person he asks about, also are we seeing this from this third characters perspective? That is a strange little mystery, I am not entirely clear on why this is a part of the writers reasoning of the player not being BB as the text isn't clear itself, could be the translation or just the way it is written but it seems kind of stretching.

Anyway, the biggest problems I have with this piece of text is the mentions of parts of these speculations as "undeniable fact" and "decisive", when the writer just says that without providing adequate reasoning to back it up.

I am insane to go so deep on this nonsense.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to this leaked Xbox achievement. Notice how Big Boss doesn't have the shrapnel in his head? Also note that people were already speculating that the presence of "The Man Who Sold The World" tape in the E3 trailer was implying that we might not be playing as the real Big Boss. My money is on Mission 46 (the one that is not present in the guide, hidden behind a QR code) being the meeting/confrontation between Venom Snake (who I believe is a doppelgänger) and the real Big Boss (Ishmael perhaps?). What this mission entails, and if we continue to play as Venom Snake after it, is still a mystery.

One thing I'm a little confused on is Punished Snake. Remember the line in the marketing, "From FOX, Two Phantoms Were Born"? I remember everyone assuming that was to do with Snake and Liquid, but knowing what we do, I almost wonder if there's two doppelgängers. It's probably more likely that Punished Snake is just another name for Venom Snake, and perhaps that is the moniker he takes up after being forced to kill his troops at motherbase. Who knows.

Supa_Kappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Supa_Kappa

I'm only allowing myself to see little bits of spoiler, just enough to get my mind speculating. It's great, I can't fucking wait to see if I'm guessing right.

I went back and watched the E3 2015 trailer and they seem to make a big deal out of Snake's eyes (eye?), which appear green (and sparkly). They are certainly not supposed to be green, Volgin remarked about them being blue in MGS3. I'm not 100% sure what this means and I'm not prepared to read anything else, but if what I'm thinking is right, this game is crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
    deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this on Kojima's twitter, and thought it was really bizarre considering the lengths he will go to, in order to stop spoilers.

No Caption Provided

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not sure why exactly I read this but that sounds cool. I kind of wish I hadn't read it though. I barely understand the story in Metal Gear so I thought I would be okay, but that reveal would have been nice to not know about.

IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

@sunbrozak said:

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to this leaked Xbox achievement. Notice how Big Boss doesn't have the shrapnel in his head? Also note that people were already speculating that the presence of "The Man Who Sold The World" tape in the E3 trailer was implying that we might not be playing as the real Big Boss. My money is on Mission 46 (the one that is not present in the guide, hidden behind a QR code) being the meeting/confrontation between Venom Snake (who I believe is a doppelgänger) and the real Big Boss (Ishmael perhaps?). What this mission entails, and if we continue to play as Venom Snake after it, is still a mystery.

One thing I'm a little confused on is Punished Snake. Remember the line in the marketing, "From FOX, Two Phantoms Were Born"? I remember everyone assuming that was to do with Snake and Liquid, but knowing what we do, I almost wonder if there's two doppelgängers. It's probably more likely that Punished Snake is just another name for Venom Snake, and perhaps that is the moniker he takes up after being forced to kill his troops at motherbase. Who knows.

This must be true.

If this is true does that open the door for Hayter?

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I really hope we get to play as the real BB because that is the story I wanted to see unfold. Not some random dude we have no connection with. The final game pulling a switcheroo would be kind of disappointing, but who knows, they could make it work.

Big Spoiler:

Also Skullface was apparently hired by Zero to make sure that Big Bosses missions were successful (This includes MGS3 Snake Eater). This kind of makes BB seem less bad ass if this ends up being true.

Yeah, I really hope that second bit isn't true. That is lame as all hell. It cuts the legs right out from under the coolest game in the series.

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Edraii

@jensonb: Seems like a fair point to me, as the whole game seems to be about dispelling BB being a good or heroic guy.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edraii said:

@jensonb: Seems like a fair point to me, as the whole game seems to be about dispelling BB being a good or heroic guy.

I dunno man, it super cheapens the point of his fall if his most notable victory was fake. It also retroactively cheapens our experiences as players.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emfromthesea

Watching the speculation run wild over on GAF and Reddit is pretty entertaining. One of the more interesting points I gleamed from reading the threads is this:

Note the vignetting, signifying that we're looking through Big Boss's functional, left eye.
    Note the vignetting, signifying that we're looking through Big Boss's functional, left eye.

Note the similar vignetting in this scene featuring Kaz, Ocelot, Venom Snake, of which we're seeing from the perspective of a 4th character.
    Note the similar vignetting in this scene featuring Kaz, Ocelot, Venom Snake, of which we're seeing from the perspective of a 4th character.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just scrolled to the bottom of this thread without actually looking at anything.

As someone who is trying to avoid spoilers for this game and is actively worried about opening Youtube and seeing a video title spoiling the game for me, I feel like this is some sort of Ghost in the Network situation. A spook in my haven, if you will. Just looking at the title of this thread was enough to fill me with dread. Must have been how Avdol felt when he first laid eyes on Dio.

"The thread's presence was... Like the Devil itself!"

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By marc

Gray Fox sums up my desire to 'not have anything spoiled paired with a weakness that forces me to cave and read all of them' best:

Hurt me more!

IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like the BB with the scars is Ishmael (makes sense with the bandages) and the BB on the motorcycle in the "man who saved the world" achievement is Ahab. So so pumped by this idea. I'm excited to find out who the real one is. I'm betting that Ishmael really fucks shit up and is the real "bad" Big Boss and Ahab is the real one.

finnith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only comment is that this series gets more fucked up with every installment

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If nothing else, I'm really looking forward to dicking around to the tune of those music tapes.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaser324  Moderator

It seems like the BB with the scars is Ishmael (makes sense with the bandages) and the BB on the motorcycle in the "man who saved the world" achievement is Ahab. So so pumped by this idea. I'm excited to find out who the real one is. I'm betting that Ishmael really fucks shit up and is the real "bad" Big Boss and Ahab is the real one.

That doesn't sound right. The guy with the bandages is definitely referred to as Ishmael, so you have to be playing as Ahab, the guy with the shrapnel in his head. If the reveal in mission 46 is that you're not the real Big Boss (i.e. Ahab isn't Big Boss), that means it's likely it's Ishmael that is the "man who sold the world" and is the true Big Boss.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Slaker117

As someone who has no real investment in this franchise, I kind of love watching parts of the fandom turn themselves into insane people trying to find intent in every detail about anything, twisting it to fit the few concrete spoilers that are out there and blending it with wild speculation to proclaim as fact. That some of it will inevitably turn out to be true only adds to the wonderful chaotic mess.

IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Yeah you play as Ahab in the hospital sequence and the rest of (most of) the game you play as Ishmael. I'm just not sure which is the real BB.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of this sounds completely nuts, and awesome. Really curious to see how it pans out, and to see what happens in mission 46.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@indeedcodybrown said:

@chaser324: Yeah you play as Ahab in the hospital sequence and the rest of (most of) the game you play as Ishmael. I'm just not sure which is the real BB.

Everything I've seen seems to suggest you're playing as Ahab (aka Venom Snake) for the entire game. Totally possible I've misinterpreted something, but changing your perspective after that opening scene seems like it would too quickly hint to the player that there's something up with the identity of the character they're playing as.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#36  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ok, yep. The Ahab/Ishmael stuff seems like it could be totally bonkers.

IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

Ahab (Notice the scars, 3 straps on eye patch):

No Caption Provided

Ishmael (No scars, no "horn", 2 straps on eye patch):

No Caption Provided

(In the version of the motorcycle scene in the trailers I know "Ahab" has the shrapnel horn, I think that was just a simple case of changing the character model for the marketing to avoid spoilers.)

If you want to subscribe to the medic as being Ishmael theory, he is the one that took the most of the shrapnel head on protecting BB at the end of GZ, hence the horn.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank-you for the 'double' spoiler tagging in this thread, made it possible for me to navigate to the bottom without reading anything major.
    I have just one question, and if someone could please give me a simple yes/no/we don't know answer, that would be great.
    Are there more companions than the 4 we have seen so far?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaser324  Moderator
    emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indeedcodybrown said:

Everything I've seen seems to suggest you're playing as Ahab (aka Venom Snake) for the entire game. Totally possible I've misinterpreted something, but changing your perspective after that opening scene seems like it would too quickly hint to the player that there's something up with the identity of the character they're playing as.

Now that I think about it yeah Ahab character you play and Ishmael is the other guy.

TragicFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cool

WE CAN UNLOCK RAIDEN :)

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quiet's breasts are actually tumours from the parasite that gives her special powers.

... ? ? ? GOTY ? ? ?

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jensonb

Guys, I've figured it out. Based on everything that's coming out right now, this is where I'm at:

Big Boss isBen Reilly, and he always was. He got switched with the real Peter Parker Snake way back after the Virtuous Mission by Norman Osborn Zero. In MGSV There's a third Snake running around in a black get up...But that's actually Venom, and he's not a clone it's just some virusmanufactured by Miles Warren (AKA Madnar) that was able to make him look exactly like someone else and cloning is impossible. Oh, but also there are totally clones anyway.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

At 4:50 in this video from Greg Miller, he pretty clearly lends credence to the Big Boss doppelganger speculation being thrown around.

Specifically what is said if you don't want to click through:

• Greg: "Then of course, am I Big Boss?"
    • Konami PR Guy: "Of course, he's calling you Big Boss. Why would you think otherwise?"
    • Greg: "Uh huh. Uh huh. A lot of shenanigans are happening in this game."
    • Konami PR Guy: "I don't know what you're talking about."

At about 9:00 in he again hints at it as a reason why Venom Snake doesn't understand Russian.

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jensonb: That'd probably be the point, and a very Kojima like point at that.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edraii said:

@jensonb: That'd probably be the point, and a very Kojima like point at that.

Oh I don't for a minute imagine he wouldn't do it, it would just bum me out.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ahab is just the Medic from the Chopper

Loading Video...

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By emfromthesea

@bocam said:

Ahab is just the Medic from the Chopper

Edit: Okay, you were right. Someone over at GAF has confirmed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.