Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Would you watch a Dan and Drew MGS series?

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Absolutely!

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wait, they might actually be going for it? OH SHI-

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yes, in the same way I'd watch anything with any of the Giant Bomb crew.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the entire Metal Gear series, and would totally watch Dan and Drew play them. Seriously those guys are great together.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mythdark said:

@bwheeeler said:

So, if I've got a PS4, a Vita, and a 360, is there any way for me to play the original MGS?

You can buy the original MGS on PSN and play it on your Vita since it's a PS1 classic.

If you have a Gamecube I highly recommend getting the Twin Snakes remake for that instead.

Not really recommending this but just saying that the MGS collection is available on PS NOW. Don't do that though, seriously.

HeliumSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES YES YES YES

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@graboids said:

yes. yes, I would.

No Caption Provided

Hahaha that is fucking great.

I adore the Metal Gear series. Probably my favorite. Would love to see this.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Idk if I'd want to watch a full endurance run of those games (mostly because I want to play them at some point!) but I wouldn't mind an hour or two with each game. Or maybe playing them in chronological order as Dan explains the bat shit insane story to Drew.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh God, is it really happening?!

El_Funko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

Metal Gear Scanlon

I would really enjoy watching this series.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I... I would watch it but I'm not sure they should do it. I'd almost rather watch the Metal Gear story unfold without commentary, Drew & Dan are great but I'd like to focus on the story in this particular case. Plus Dan knowing what's up going in would spoil a lot for people who haven't played it before.

I for one am really excited for this series, because I want to get MGS5 and have never played an MGS game before. Really don't want to go back and play a PS1 stealth game right now, so being able to watch it and absorb the (supposedly absurd) lore excites me!

Symbyosys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I'm surprised Drew never really played them, he would really enjoy the series, I know he has at least an interest in military hardware and procedure, and MGS is meticulous even with the fantastical stuff.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

This is a supremely good idea for content. Can't wait to watch it.

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe just to watch their comedic value. MGS is garbage after the first one.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmmm, let me think.......

YES!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#220  Edited By Cirdain

@redroach: I would get a premium subscription again for that shit.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would watch the hell out of a series like that. I love MGS

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shirogane: Does the MGS Collection actually include MGS? I thought it was a product code.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS endurance run kinda seems like the opposite of Deadly Premonition, with good (or at least decent) gameplay, but a bonkers story, that's not bad in a good way. At least from what I've gathered by watching the series from aside.

With that said, I'd naturally give it a shot and watch at least the first episode. DP's a fine example of a terribad game being entertaining as heck to watch when you've got the right fellows commenting on it.

Dirty_Deacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Dirty_Deacon

I think Dan is one of the most refreshing things to happen to Giantbomb in a long time. I was excited to find out that Dan was such a huge MGS lore fan. I too am a huge fan of the MGS story, I think it's brilliant and very entertaining. The fact that Kojima takes it sooo seriously is thing that makes it so fun. I would really enjoy seeing Dan and drew play MGS but more so to hear Dan gush about the story and history because it was very obvious in the Demo derby episode that Dan is very excited to share his passion with anyone that will listen.

RandyFIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By koobz

I just restarted my subscription on Friday and got around to seeing the Demo Derby y'all are talking about. Maybe I'm late to the party, but I'm PRETTY ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT THIS.

No Caption Provided

Edit: Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and the front page bump from @marino! I decided to make a dedicated MGScanlon fanart thread, so go there to check out errbody's fun stuff.

THEBIGZED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have them spend the time elsewhere. I might check out the first Solid game but I've played through the rest rather recently and have no interest. Honestly it would be a huge time sink, surely there's something a bit more varied they could do with that time.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koobz: That is some amazing artwork my friend, kudos! Throw up a blog with some more art, I'd love to see more.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koobz: That is awesome. You should be gifted a year subscription just for that artwork.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#230 Marino  Staff

@koobz: I went ahead and bumped this to the front page of this here website. Nice work!

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By sravankb

@koobz: Goddamn. Fantastic work there, dude.

As for the series, I'm really loving it. Drew has really come into his own, especially compared to just an year back, when he was primarily the quiet guy with some jokes here and there ("I'm dressed as a speed bump!" comes to mind).

And compared to how cynical the rest of the team can get, Dan and Drew are a fantastic team. Even when they don't like stuff, they find ways to have fun with it.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#232  Edited By Tom_omb

@koobz: Fantastic work! You captured Dan's unchained enthusiasm and Drew's willingness to go along, but he may be in over his head.

I did a little drawing of my own while watching the first episode.

No Caption Provided

The only MGS game I've played to completion is Twin Snakes. I'm thinking it might be worth while to play MGS 2 before they complete the first game and follow along. This is a feature I've wanted to see from Drew with the Zelda series ever since he stated A Link Between Worlds was his first in the series.

Someone should tell @danryckert Drew don't know Zelda.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

an echoey resounding YES

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shirogane: Does the MGS Collection actually include MGS? I thought it was a product code.

It is a code actually, so i'm not sure how the NOW thing would handle that. That's...interesting.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

goggilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@toowalrus said:

I... I would watch it but I'm not sure they should do it. I'd almost rather watch the Metal Gear story unfold without commentary, Drew & Dan are great but I'd like to focus on the story in this particular case. Plus Dan knowing what's up going in would spoil a lot for people who haven't played it before.

I for one am really excited for this series, because I want to get MGS5 and have never played an MGS game before. Really don't want to go back and play a PS1 stealth game right now, so being able to watch it and absorb the (supposedly absurd) lore excites me!

I am all for that! I'm in the same position, watching this to be able to follow along in MGS5!

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Did Dan make Drew to go trough the VR gauntlet like a good military instructor would?

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By CByrne

This might force me to open and play...

No Caption Provided

WarheadNOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a set schedule for this? Cant wait for part 3!

WINGMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been a member since this website came to existence and it wasn't until this series that I decided to become a paid member. It's been well worth it!!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I've been playing the MSX Metal Gear games because of this series (the re-release of them on the legacy collection version of MGS3).

They're actually pretty good- starting to feel like they're under rated what with everyone saying "Oh you can skip those."

I mean, you can, but they're just as good as any MGS game after they went polygonal. It explains the story a bit more, too. Although, that makes MGS3 a bit more confusing for me. I don't know, I'll figure it out as I play all of them.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#242  Edited By GS_Dan
    No Caption Provided

Fave new video feature :) Hope @drewbert gets to MGS2, would love to see his reaction to that amazing nonsense.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I've been playing the MSX Metal Gear games because of this series (the re-release of them on the legacy collection version of MGS3).

They're actually pretty good- starting to feel like they're under rated what with everyone saying "Oh you can skip those."

I mean, you can, but they're just as good as any MGS game after they went polygonal. It explains the story a bit more, too. Although, that makes MGS3 a bit more confusing for me. I don't know, I'll figure it out as I play all of them.

Oh god.. temptation.. D-don't Tempt me!

Got back to Peace Walker after this series started and decided to finally get through it all.

I tried playing the original Metal Gear but ... uh... :S was kinda hard (EMBARRASSED).

MG2 seems *way* more modern and playable but, again.. kinda got stuck fast. I wish I had a Dan Ryckert to play along with me.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@geraltitude: Ya, I was originally just going to play the MSX ones because I've never played those, but playing them- the mechanics are strangely, basically, the same only in 2d form. It's reminded that I actually really like MGS a lot (yes, I actually forgot how much I like this series). I may actually play all of them again now (and 4 which I haven't played before... and I may actually get 5 now which I wasn't even considering before)- so my back log is gonna have to suffer for a little while longer.

Totally worth it so far. I finished the first one a couple days ago. Going to start on MG2 probably tomorrow.

So... thanks Dan, haha. I have more games I feel the need to play.

That also makes me randomly think of: I don't know if anyone remembers this, but there was a short period of time when MGS and Splinter Cell were in pseudo competition with each other. I don't remember which, but one of them references the other in a playful sort of derision. God it's been a long time since that. I may end up playing the first 3 Splinter Cell games again, too.

I've fallen into a nostalgia hole! AAAAAHHHHH!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.