Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Destructoid won't even finish it.

• 103 results
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By AndrewB

It might be abnormal and unprofessional, but then, Destructoid is a blog created by a random bunch of people. They definitely aren't professional. I'm not saying that's a terrible thing; they're doing what they love and getting paid for it. 

If a game is bad enough the person didn't feel like finishing it, that's pretty much all you need to know from them. Consider the assigned review score a 1 if you absolutely must have some number attached to a game.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By DoctorWelch

That is one of the dumbest thing I have ever seen. He starts off by saying he isn't going to write a review, and then proceeds to write one. The only difference is he was too much of a lazy bitch to finish it and ended up not giving it a score because he felt guilty about being a pussy. 

Edit: The guy who wrote that "review" should be immediately fired and banned from ever working in the games industry ever again.

Kratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Kratch

I'm really liking the game too.  The only problem I've had so far is that I was stuck in one section of the game, dying over and over, for almost two hours before I figured out that there was another path that let you sneak around all of the enemies.  The fact that I was incredibly pissed off about this, but continued playing says something about the quality of the rest of the game. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Linkyshinks

Destructoid are a bunch of tards.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Supermarius

Here are a couple videos to show what anthony burch is about. Here's a video of him complaining that games shouldnt just be fun, but that they need to artistic and about issues. He got in a big argument with jaffe about this.

And heres a video he did yelling at gamers for not buying indie games

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By SteveVice
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @SteveVice said:
    " Destructoid has kinda fallen apart lately. Seems the community over there are getting fed up with the bullshit articles they write, and the constant "defense-posts". "
    Kind of like how people rage on this site every other day because the crew says something they don't agree with?  Welcome to the internet.  You're not on the outside looking in.  You're just spying from across a pond. "
    Difference being Destructoid deliberatly "trolls" by taking jabs at fanboy groups left and right to the point where you feel you can't actually say you like Sony/Nintendo/Wii/PC or Mac without being stampled as a complete moron whose opinions are completely invalid, they breed a hate towards the fanboyism which is just blowing it completely out of purportions and treats every "fanboy" as the lowest of the low, there are no degrees, just complete effin waste as soon as you mention preference. And then they write reviews totally hammering a game, the community presents valid counterpoints to the review, and of course the usual fanboy rage, and then they usually post rebuttals on the frontpage treating everybody who posted as complete jackasses and utter fanboy waste. Jim in particular does a splendid job of completely alienating his audience, the only way to get on his not so bad side is to completely suck  his nads. 

How is this like Giantbomb? Does GB thrive on controversy and alienating their community? The editorial and community aspect of Destructoid are two vastly different beasts.
    I don't always agree with the editor here, but they don't present their opinions as if everyone that thinks anything else should be disregarded. We don't have much to nerdrage about, and the nerdrage over at Destructoid is more based on how they feel treated by the editorial side.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By hinderk
    @Supermarius: Just watched the first video, and he never said that video games shouldn't be fun only that they shouldn't always be about fun.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Destructoid is retarded. "
    All I see is you and CowMuffins making yourselves look like complete jackasses.  "
    That's because everyone on Destructoid likes to be butt buddies with the staff even though in all cases they're wrong >:(

There is no challenge towards them.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By thatfrood
    @Supermarius said:

" Here are a couple videos to show what anthony burch is about. Here's a video of him complaining that games shouldnt just be fun, but that they need to artistic and about issues. He got in a big argument with jaffe about this.

"
    I'm okay with these. This is just him expressing an opinion, and it's fairly well worded! I agree that games don't have to purely be fun. This is okay.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Destructoid are a bunch of tards. "
    I agree with this, there's a reason I don't click links to their site.

Also the game's pretty good, nothing incredible, but it's far from unfinish-able.
    The main complaint I've seen is that the shooting is a weak, and it is in comparison to everything out there, but it's still not far off being decent. It's the worst of a good bunch. (If that makes sense)
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Supermarius
    @hinderk:  i never said that he said videogames shouldn't be fun. That would really be an indefensible position anyways. I said that he said videogames shouldn't just be fun. There's a big difference. He's saying that making games which are simply fun points to a gradual degeneration of the medium, which is silly if you ask me. 
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62  Edited By metal_mills
    @hinderk said:

" @Metal_Mills: I see a 6.5. "

I was sure they gave it a 9...100% sure...weird.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By raiz265
    @Allprox: still, they pretty much say "russian crapgame is crap" with that comment
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By damswedon
    @Bane said:
    " Never been to Destructoid before reading this "not review" so their opinion ranks who cares/10.  It's good to know I haven't been missing anything though. "
    We work on a 5 Star rating here boy. *Loads shotgun*

Destructoid is just Destructoid ignore them and they will one day go away, or kill us all.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Fallen189

This is a terrible thread.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By hinderk
    @Supermarius:  Sorry about that, guess I misread your post.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I have Destructoid in my bookmark toolbar on Chrome and use it everyday. I only go to them and Kotaku for on the spot daily news, but when it comes to reviews I only read Giantbomb's ones. I can't really rust anyone else for games, as some part of me knows Jeff and the team as if they were "the guys down the street" and told me yah or neigh about a game.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68  Edited By Geno

They're just trolling. I've read like a dozen metro reviews and countless user impressions already and Destructoid is the only place that complains about difficulty to any extent whatsoever, most probably because they're a bunch of noobs. Also, they're getting Anthony to review the game? LOLOLOLOL. That guy's a pretentious nitwit who thinks any game which doesn't offer procedural AI responding to his every little move is a failure (which is not possible in any game at the moment). Destuctoid's only value is in its podcast (which is worth it for Jim Sterling's hilarious tirades) and HAWP, but that's about it. 

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @nanikore said:
    "Who cares? Destructoid sucks. "
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Systech

Wow, guy's kind of a pussy.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Supermarius said:
    "Here are a couple videos to show what anthony burch is about. Here's a video of him complaining that games shouldnt just be fun, but that they need to artistic and about issues. He got in a big argument with jaffe about this.

"

its funny cause if he actually finished metro and got the good ending it would work with his first rant.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Milkman
    @Supermarius:  Eh, in the first video, he does make some very good points. I think there is definitely room for pure fun games and arty games. He gets a little extreme at points but I don't think his points there are completely out of the question.

The second video is horrible. Completely idealist fantasy and just screams whiny hippie trying to change the world. For the record, Assassin's Creed is not "shit".
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By Brendan
    @Milkman said:
    " @Supermarius:  Eh, in the first video, he does make some very good points. I think there is definitely room for pure fun games and arty games. He gets a little extreme at points but I don't think his points there are completely out of the question.  The second video is horrible. Completely idealist fantasy and just screams whiny hippie trying to change the world. For the record, Assassin's Creed is not "shit". "

I agree with this post.  Also, I play videogames to have fun.  I had fun playing AC2.  I also had fun playing ME2.  Sorry for being a bad person Destructoid.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By calidan777
    @Supermarius said:

" Here are a couple videos to show what anthony burch is about. Here's a video of him complaining that games shouldnt just be fun, but that they need to artistic and about issues. He got in a big argument with jaffe about this.

"
    Have you seen David Jaffe's response video to the first one? It's hilarious, Jaffe basically tells him to shut the fuck up, lol. Good shit.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Jim Sterling.  Once you read those two words in association with an opinion all becomes crystal clear. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76  Edited By trophyhunter

well you do know that included the words 
     Jim Sterling right?

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Noodlearms said:
    " Really liked the game. Shooting felt fine, maybe a little slow but it seemed to pack weight to it...makes it feel like every shot counts. "
    When your saying a little slow, kind of like KZ2?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ryanwho

The GT review made the game look pretty awfully broken, but hipsters will apologize for any game they've already decided is a sleeper hit before playing.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By hinderk
    @trophyhunter said:

" well you do know that included the words   Jim Sterling right? "

@SeriouslyNow said:

" Jim Sterling.  Once you read those two words in association with an opinion all becomes crystal clear.  "

You guys do realize that Jim Sterling had nothing to do with the article right?

Edit: At least he tried to play it, GB didn't even attempt to review Demon's Soul. 
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By Red

Review is written by Anthony Burch, who has made enough awesome stuff via Rev Rants and Hey Ash Whatcha Playin' to garner my trust. His complaints seem legitimate, and not finishing a game isn't a huge problem, especially for a small-ish site like Destructoid. 

Hey guys: I don't think Giant Bomb's going to finish Metro 2033.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Supermarius said:

"
    my only problem with the first one was the end, where he basically told all the people who want games to only be fun that they aren't "real gamers" because they're frowning at games' potential. I think this is crap, because if gamers only want to play fun games, there's nothing wrong with that. To use his movie analogy, it would be like hating moviegoers who only enjoy watching romantic comedies. Could they potentially be missing stuff? Yes, but that doesn't mean that they're doing it wrong. 

The second one is ridiculous. First of all, a lot of people liked AC1. It was one of the best selling new IPs of that year, and perhaps the decade. He shouldn't use that video to hate on one game that he happens to think no one likes (although a lot of people do) Also, the whole "pay for stuff if i like it" won't work. It could be done with movies or books or yes, games, but there's a reason why not- people are inherently greedy. If they don't have to pay for something they won't. If they play Passage, a game that takes 5 minutes, I'm not going to pay for it no matter how good it is because it doesn't have value. People pay using the system we have because it works, and so far it's the only way to get games I know I want, like Halo, Uncharted, etc. I also don't understand how paying companies for games is "soulless bullshit". Why? because they want money for the goods they produce? Fucking retarded. 

He also seems to make the assumption that all company/publisher made games are shit, and that we just buy it because they're what's there. No, i buy games because I like them. I'm not going to donate money to random people because i'm human, and i'm not going to voluntarily pay for stuff. Anthony Burch, you are a moron.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DystopiaX
    @hinderk: they don't review a lot of games. Since they want to keep the crew small (and pretty much everyone here likes it that way) they're going to have to make decisions about which games to quick look/video review/review.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#83  Edited By Ace829

I find Jim Sterling to be a very entertaining read. He gives an honest opinion and doesn't give a shit if he gets flamed left and right. Besides he's just a dude who talks about video games, no need to rage over one man's opinion. I don't care much for the rest of Destructoid though.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By buzz_clik

Still, both games touch on a much beloved theme of postapocalyptic fiction: the hero's need to survive on disturbingly limited resources. In Metro 2033, you've only got one form of currency: bullets.

I don't know if I can trust a (kinda) review where two consecutive sentences use colons. It's not that it's wrong, it just seems inelegant.

Well, that's as far as I got into the article. I haven't made it past the third paragraph, and I doubt I'll ever make it any further.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @Metal_Mills said:
    "They gave AvP a 9/10 and that game had borderline broken controls and melee combat. "

I was about to go find out what they gave AvP I thought I remembered them rating it highly. That is insane. I wont touch that unless i can get it for 10 bucks. Metro 2033 however I think I am willing to spend 20-25 bucks on it, it looks much much better than avp.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Milkman
    @Red said:

"Hey guys: I don't think Giant Bomb's going to finish Metro 2033. "

They already did.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#87  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @nanikore said:
    " Who cares? Destructoid sucks. "
    I used to like them, but this has pretty much become my own stance on the matter as of late.  Especially if Jim Sterling is involved.  But, hey, if I could be a Professional Piece of Shit, I guess I probably would be.
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By jNerd

Probably because the game is AWFUL. Destructoid is a good site.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#89  Edited By Red
    @Milkman: Noticed that shortly after writing that post.  

Still, not finishing one lesser-known game because you simply weren't good enough every once in a while isn't too bad. 
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Whisperkill
    @gike987 said:
     or is it just Destructoid trolling again? "
    Yes...
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91  Edited By CenturionCajun

I have to say that I'm boggled by his reason for stopping play. When he was saying he met a horrible situation I thought he was referring to some game breaking bug or especially egregious design decision. It is an Eastern European game so stability and design are still something they're getting straightened out. However, when he revealed it was simply because he didn't like the weapon balance I balked. That seems like something you can power through if his enjoyment of the atmosphere and setting were as strong as he pointed out. You simply take it into account for the final score instead of simply throwing the game in the corner and refusing to review it.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @ryanwho said:
    "The GT review made the game look pretty awfully broken, but hipsters will apologize for any game they've already decided is a sleeper hit before playing. "

i've played it and it was great you seem to be a big douche on the forums alot
    Capt_Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Capt_Pudge
    @Cirdain said:
    " BS the reviewer is just awful at playing the game I'm playing on hardcore and it's not that hard. "
    dude your good at video games, good for you. hope that brings some happiness to your sad ass life
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By Cirdain
    @Capt_Pudge said:
    " @Cirdain said:
    " BS the reviewer is just awful at playing the game I'm playing on hardcore and it's not that hard. "
    dude your good at video games, good for you. hope that brings some happiness to your sad ass life "
    wow I did not remember writing that... seriously. Sorry guys, that was extremely trollish of me.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By FirePrince

I don't understand all the hate for Metro 2033.It's a competent shooter with great athmosphere(Pretty sure I've spelled it wrong) and a decent story.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jack268
    @Capt_Pudge said:
    " @Cirdain said:
    dude your good at video games, good for you. hope that brings some happiness to your sad ass life "
    Dude you're good at bumping video game threads, good for you. Why so mad though?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CL60
    @FirePrince said:
    "

I don't understand all the hate for Metro 2033.It's a competent shooter with great athmosphere(Pretty sure I've spelled it wrong) and a decent story.

"
    Indeed.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#98  Edited By zidd

If you are going to review a game you should finish it. If you cant even finish the game then you aren't qualified to review it.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#99  Edited By Rasgueado

I used to like checking out Destructoid for awhile... there was at least a time when there was content of some value that was going up. I finally just stopped going as the page was often flooded with useless bits of editorial, and a lot of the "news" segments were often poorly written and dipping into editorializing as well. I also really have a distaste for Jim Sterling... he reeks of having been brought up reading British tabloids.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.