Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Release Date

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By norton123

Metro 2033 was given a release date of March 16. What  do you guys think of this game? Does it look enticing to you. Article here.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bionicicide

Wow, that's like a year earlier than I expected.

New trailer too.

Bacbi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bacbi

I think the game is gonna have a hard time going up against FFXIII and God of War 3.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Binman88

I think it looks pretty good. As long as the shooting and inventory is more palatable than the STALKER games, I'll definitely pick it up. I'll probably wait for some reviews to hit first though.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bionicicide

This German preview from December has me excited.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

That soon? I'm surprised, it was announced in December or something, if I remember correctly.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Binman88
    @Snail: They've been talking about it for a while, they had a trailer out as early as 2006.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

Sweet, this game looks awesome. Not sure if I should get this or FFXIII, I guess I'll see about the reviews.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Snail: They've been talking about it for a while, they had a trailer out as early as 2006. "
    Really? I had no idea, this might be even better than what I thought.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Binman88
    @Snail: Keep in mind, I was looking forward to STALKER at least three years before they finally released it, and it turned out to be a very divisive game. Of course, if you liked that game, I don't doubt this will be similarly enjoyable experience.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Cerza

I am interested in it, but March is a jam packed month. With God of War III, Bad Company 2, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Final Fantasy XIII, and Dragon Age Origins: Awakening all coming out then there is no way in hell I am getting it when it comes out.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dustpan

I was expecting this game to come out later in the year.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By bacongames

As a person who has played both Stalker and Cryostasis, it really bums me out how strikingly similar Metro 2033 is to both of those games. That it's also Ukranian takes some of the wind out of its sails for me. I get the impression they just looked at what STALKER did and decided to do it but with THQ's bigger budget. I'm not questioning the quality of the game but damn is my interest deflated.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Rayfield

Saw this 'Combat Trailer' last night which made me hella interested in the game. Then the release date came up and I was like HOLY FUCK MARCH? 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By handlas

I can't wait.  Loved STALKER and Cryostasis and this game gives me a familiar vibe that I got from those 2.

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LincoIn

I'm hearing the gameplay suffers but if the story is solid enough I'll take a chance on it (ex: Breakdown).

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Redsox44

Definite rent for me but if it becomes a hit I'll probably buy it down the road when it's cheaper. Right now though Bad company 2 is taking my gaming money for march.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Driadon

Prepurchased on Steam already :) Cannot wait for March, going to be living in Shooter heaven.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

I'm really looking forward to playing this game.

dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dunc12

oh man, me too. I love the gritty style and  sort of hopelessness  that it looks like they're heading for

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By v

i think that it looks promising... Probably will get shitty reviews though as people say how fantastic GoW III and FFXIII are...

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meltac

I've already placed my pre-order on Amazon.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Tuffgong said:
    " As a person who has played both Stalker and Cryostasis, it really bums me out how strikingly similar Metro 2033 is to both of those games. That it's also Ukranian takes some of the wind out of its sails for me. I get the impression they just looked at what STALKER did and decided to do it but with THQ's bigger budget. I'm not questioning the quality of the game but damn is my interest deflated. "
    That would make sense if part of the Stalker team hadn't worked on Metro 2033 or if the game didn't use a really beefed up version of Stalker's X Ray engine.  Luckily both are true and Metro 2033 is likely going the bigger and brassier balled Ukrainian post apocalyptic FPS which Stalker's RPG style and wayward dev process never let it become.  I'm more excited for this than I have been for almost every other game in the last two years.  It looks visceral, gritty and lovingly designed.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DCFGS3

Honestly, I just want an English translation of the book. But I might wait for reviews of this one...

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By Kibblez

Yeah looks cool. Hopefully it won't get crushed by other games coming out then, like God of War 3.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By bacongames
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    " As a person who has played both Stalker and Cryostasis, it really bums me out how strikingly similar Metro 2033 is to both of those games. That it's also Ukranian takes some of the wind out of its sails for me. I get the impression they just looked at what STALKER did and decided to do it but with THQ's bigger budget. I'm not questioning the quality of the game but damn is my interest deflated. "
    That would make sense if part of the Stalker team hadn't worked on Metro 2033 or if the game didn't use a really beefed up version of Stalker's X Ray engine.  Luckily both are true and Metro 2033 is likely going the bigger and brassier balled Ukrainian post apocalyptic FPS which Stalker's RPG style and wayward dev process never let it become.  I'm more excited for this than I have been for almost every other game in the last two years.  It looks visceral, gritty and lovingly designed. "

Outside of the little line on the front page, I would have no way of knowing that.  Hmm...I have upgraded to a "let's wait and see" attitude.  I'm still particularly skeptical because it could still end up being too similar for its own good.  I'm not saying it will be but it still has that possibility.  It's like if Torchlight did nothing new with the formula established by its predecessor, that is Fate.  Luckily it did in ways that made Fate obsolete.  Will Metro 2033 do the same?  I'm willing to wait and see before I'm excited.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.