Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Microtransaction

Concept »

Small payments made with actual money which result in an in-game bonus, such as an extra item, character, etc...

Microtransactions is a much bigger issue than always-online.

• 67 results
    Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Michael Transactions is a bad, bad man.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Hunkulese
    @hh said:

@hunkulese said:

@hh said:

@metal_mills said:

Now how long is it going to be before RPG's have 1 or 2 classes unlocked and another 2 or 3 locked behind a pay wall? Wanna play a mage? Well fuck you, either finish the game on ultra hard to unlock it...or pay us $5!

i like to think developers like bethesda will know better, i mean 'freedom' is their thing, so it'd go against everything they stand for, but i know it's going to turn up sooner or later in a franchise i like, maybe even dragon age 3, which would be tragic, although maybe, hopefully, bioware can put their foot down, but is that even possible when EA owns your ass?

That's just an asinine thing to say. There's no indication of a movement in that direction and you saying it's going to turn up sooner or later is just you thinking, "That would suck, everyone hates me and doesn't want me to have fun, it must be happening."

We've already seen the direction Bioware and EA are going in with Mass Effect 3 and the monatization attempt it didn't affect the core game at all.

huh? i said maybe DA3 will do it, because they're owned by EA. i don't appreciate micro-transactions and i don't play SWTOR or the multiplayer in ME3 because of them, and you seem to think that the core game of dragon age will be safe from harm because nobody's announced anything to the contrary, fair enough, but no-one can deny that this is a movement, gaining strength, and with EA at the forefront. so how is it asinine to anticipate further developments along those lines?

and don't presume to misinterpret what i said into some bizarre quote like that thing up there.

You said I know it's going to happen sooner or later. I'm not making it up. It's in your post.

It's not a movement that's gaining strength. It's a movement that arrived at the beginning of the generation and is now entrenched. There's no reason to think that they're going to lock a character class behind a paywall. Yes there will probably be a DLC party member with a quest or two that may or may not be interesting but nothing that's going to affect the actual game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Jimbo

@atlas: The scenario you suggest wouldn't be too much of a problem though, because for every one person letting themselves be ripped off, you would have 5-10 waiting to spend their money on traditional model games and so they would still get produced.

The really bad -and far more likely- scenario is that everybody falls for the "They're entirely optional! You can just buy the game and ignore the microtransactions if you want, they won't affect the rest of the game!" lie and developers are left with no reason at all to produce games unpolluted by microtransactions.

The only thing anybody can do if they don't want game design crippled by the MT business model is to not support games which use it. Merely ignoring the microtransactions themselves isn't enough, as it does nothing to dissuade them from harming the 'core' part of the game in service of pushing the MTs.

I for one will have nothing to do with any game which believes it's ok to sell my own time back to me. The customer having more money than free time is absolutely no excuse for them to try and 'save' that customer's time by selling it back to them (via faster unlocks etc.). That's just a disgusting practice in principle, and if 'letting' the customer AVOID the process of playing the game is considered to have monetary value then they have fundamentally failed at game design. Anybody who agrees to take them up on that offer has fundamentally failed at not being an idiot.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

so does this mean I have to wait till every game is game of the year? Is the game of the year edition like "the fruits of what Micropayments" brought? so then all that junk is in there and they are off making another sequel which will have more micropayment stuff?

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By HH

@hunkulese said:

@hh said:

but i know it's going to turn up sooner or later in a franchise i like, maybe even dragon age 3,

You said I know it's going to happen sooner or later. I'm not making it up. It's in your post.

It's not a movement that's gaining strength. It's a movement that arrived at the beginning of the generation and is now entrenched. There's no reason to think that they're going to lock a character class behind a paywall. Yes there will probably be a DLC party member with a quest or two that may or may not be interesting but nothing that's going to affect the actual game.

the direct quote is right there dude.

and how can you say it's not a movement gaining strength when Microsoft and Sony are only now starting to employ it in their first party titles? And did you even listen to the interview with John Riccitiello provided in the OP?

you seem so sure that you know what's going to happen, and yet all you've done is make unfounded accusations and a preposterous claim that the prevalence of micro-transactions hasn't gained any momentum since the beginning of last gen.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

How long until Halo or Killzone or God of War has levels so insanely hard that it forces you to buy extra health or weapons?

But people enjoy the crazy hard levels in God of War. If anything the dick move would be charging for the harder difficulty. I wouldn't mind extra health being thrown in for the weenies but weapons should all be unlockable in game.

Now how long is it going to be before RPG's have 1 or 2 classes unlocked and another 2 or 3 locked behind a pay wall? Wanna play a mage? Well fuck you, either finish the game on ultra hard to unlock it...or pay us $5!

Didn't Boarderlands 2 put some classes behind a pay wall?

@darji said:

@metal_mills: I totally agree with Fora. It is bad because it was build around these microtransactions but with GT& it is different.

A. You can not even buy credits in the game itself but only in the PSN store

B. You have the same or some say even better progression system than it was in GT5 which means you can earn easily 2 million for later races.

C: You still win a lot of cars through cups, events and so on.

Microtransactions in GT6 are an option but it was not build around them and this is the big difference.

lol

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@metal_mills said:

If you're asking if they charged for the DLC they put out 3 weeks / 8 months after the game came out, yeah they did. Although the first DLC character was free for all preorders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Microtransactions are no longer micro but macro

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The biggest issue now is full priced games having microtransactions. These aren't even a few bucks either. Forza 5 and Gran Turismo 6 have $100 and $200 cars you can buy. Oh but, you can ignore it right? Just play the game and unlock them? Well people estimate Forza 5 takes over 560 hours to earn enough to buy all cars without paying. Now lets compare this to Forza 4 which has more tracks and more cars, to complete EVERYTHING including all cars and all races it only takes 340 hours. Still a long time but that's over 200 hours less to unlock more things.

Why would you need to buy every car in the entire game?

And what are you going to do, go to the shop and buy them all one by one? (when there are, like, over a thousand cars?)

baysidejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By baysidejr

I am glad you brought this topic up and we are having a discussion about it. I really don't know what to think on the issue. It's like I want someone to tell me how to feel about it. I completely understand the rising costs of games is a real factor and games have been 60 bucks for how long now? Shouldn't inflation atleast moved prices up for these big budget games? So I don't fault them for doing this however it does feel dirty doesn't it? A little like double dipping.

Also it is a fact that putting in this model effects gameplay decisions and the feel of the game. We have seen it with countless other games. Things become more grindy and so you feel like making a purchase is more cost effective from a time/benefit scenario.

I may not be the best person to even discuss this topic because I think Steam has colored my opinion on game prices. I am in my 30's to give you some perspective on where I am coming from as our opinions are formed by experiences. I hate all Micro-Transactions and even hate DLC. There is something about buying something extra that I have a mental block over. I would rather they finish a story fully in 1 game and then release a full expansion or sequel. I do not like these mini DLC add ons. I also am a bigger PC gamer nowadays. I am used to having access to trainers/hacks to unlock items, models, cheats etc... I have access to other peoples save files if I wanted for example every car in a racing game available to me. User made mods that expand games beyond what the designers even thought of. And as mentioned above with Steam ridiculously low prices on lots of great games. I go into the Wii U store and cringe at the prices and just can't make a purchase.

I think i got sidetracked in my thoughts there. This micro-transaction issue on full priced games is a tricky situation. I honestly think I would rather see them raise prices on big budget games to $70 then effect game-play decisions to nickel and dime you after. I think really the bottom line is this, if game-play wasn't effected and they just gave you a faster way to unlock something that would be ok with me. I mean i prefer a cheat code like the good old days to just unlock what you wanted but It is what it is. So the question using Forza as an example. Does it take longer to unlock things in Forza 5 then it does in Forza 4. Or GranTurismo 5 vs 6. Then we will have our answer if these microtansactions have effected game-play decisions.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange said:

@metal_mills said:

If you're asking if they charged for the DLC they put out 3 weeks / 8 months after the game came out, yeah they did. Although the first DLC character was free for all preorders.

Still kinda seems kinda icky to charge people for a character because fuck you for not preordering. The other stuff seems fine I guess (haven't played it).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@starvinggamer said:

@darthorange said:

@metal_mills said:

Still kinda seems kinda icky to charge people for a character because fuck you for not preordering. The other stuff seems fine I guess (haven't played it).

Really? I think it seems nice to give people paid DLC for free because thank you for preordering.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metal_mills: It's not inherently a shitty game design choice any more than creating an expansion pack is a shitty game choice. You might say that expansion packs are for games that are already complete, but there was nothing forcing developers in the age of expansion packs to make them anything more than added features that "should" have already been in the original game. I'm sure there are some examples of this, though they aren't coming to mind. It's beside the point, either way.

I've never minded the way The Sims does expansion packs.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT6 has the same earnings grind as GT5, it offers you to pay real money for credits to skip past that very, very reasonable grind (after it got patched up from the original terribad GT5). Is that really just as bad as Forza 5 which is designed to constantly beg for you to open your wallet?

If your answer is yes then I'm sorry for the shame that your parents feel.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange said:

@starvinggamer said:

@darthorange said:

@metal_mills said:

Really? I think it seems nice to give people paid DLC for free because thank you for preordering.

You are looking at it backwards bizarro duder.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@starvinggamer said:

@darthorange said:

@starvinggamer said:

@darthorange said:

@metal_mills said:

You are looking at it backwards bizarro duder.

No, I think he has it right.

Anyway, this sort of stuff is absolutely disgusting. Forza 5 and GT6 are both gross games for doing it so I don't want to hear any fanboy nonsense about one being worse than the other. It's a disgusting practice.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By spraynardtatum

People that like microtransactions are bad people. Or selling a bill of goods.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.