Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Reviews are coming today

• 176 results
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@corevi said:
    @alexandersheen said:

I found it hilarious how people on the first page shat on the game before it came out and then it turns out it's pretty good.

Unrelenting skepticism allows for pleasant surprises. Unrelenting optimism only allows for disappointments.

Unrelenting skepticism will also eat your soul from within. Give "healthy doses" of skepticism a shot!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By bybeach

I've been following the staff twitter comments on the main page. Any individual reviewer can rate up or down, but to me it is no surprise. You catch on to the drift, obtuse as it might be.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still getting this game and glad that it has positive reviews.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I went against my general rule of no pre-ordering it, and I picked it up for $33 CAD from Nuuvem. Deal's off now, but It's seems like a very good buy for that price, considering the reviews it's getting especially.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@impartialgecko said:

@sirfork said:

@hunkulese: But its cool being a cynic

Better to be a cynic than get suckered. I was optimistic for Destiny and that landed me $60 out of pocket that I ended up not enjoying. Caveat emptor shouldn't be necessary in an industry where the media should be policing the message put out by publishers, but it's still something everyone with limited funds should exercise.

Are you high? The "media" does exactly what you're asking it to do. Destiny got very mediocre scores and there was an Alpha and Beta that weren't that hard to get into. What else could they have done? The amount of coverage they've given the game was warranted and deserved. If you have limited funds you don't need to prehate every game that's coming out so you don't get burned. Just wait for reviews.

I do. Imagine if everyone was just as cynical. Maybe you wouldn't have about 50 comments on every review calling for the writer's resignation.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fredchuckdave: Assassins Creed 1 seems to suffer from an inverse case of rose tinted glasses as people tend to think more poorly of it as time goes on. I'd hardly say it was a TERRIBLE game. It introduced some amazing gameplay but got a little repetitive halfway through. Even so it stayed true to the original design a lot more than any of the subsequent entries in the series. You gathered information, stalked your target and went in for the kill. I also liked the story arch for the protagonist way more than Ezio's "eyyyy I'm a playboy, eyyy I'm a master assassin now!"

Not to digress, I just wanted to say it wasn't a terrible game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#157  Edited By TheHT

@humanity: Unity is supposed to be a return to form with that sort of gameplay isn't it? Actually planning your assassinations and all that. I remember in the E3 demo there was some proper sneaking around with cover too, which is great because the line of sight bush hopping wasn't particularly engaging stealth gameplay.

But yeah, that first game kinda had whole Hitman thing where you learned the environment, assessed potential routes and opportunities, and struck when everything lined up according to your plan. Except in AC you booked it afterwards instead of calmly walking away undetected. Still, a lot more satisfying than most of the stuff you do in the later games (the most notable exception being naval combat).

Man, I'm gettin way more interested in Unity now.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@humanity: The problem though is it is super janky by today's standards. Just the way everything works is very reminiscent of a PS2 game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: I sure hope so. Some of their recent videos got me a little worried. The co-op they showed didn't look very sophisticated. It would be a dream if they reeled it all back a bit, went back to actual stealth, made it about assassinating key targets rather than boring busywork and convoluted intrigue. If anything this will mark the first Assassins Creed game where everyone having an awkward french accent won't seem incredibly out of place. I know that people from France say the french spoken by Canadians is weird although I don't know in what way - I assume it's a dialect thing like someone from Texas compared to someone from New York?

I'm also really interested in seeing where they take the modern day stuff. I hope this won't drag those same characters from Ezio's story arch into this. With the new generation in console I'm really hoping they make a clean break from that entire storyline.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Phew, it's a 33 gig download on PC. Thank god for preloading.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By Corevi
    @humanity said:

@theht: I know that people from France say the french spoken by Canadians is weird although I don't know in what way - I assume it's a dialect thing like someone from Texas compared to someone from New York?

Quebecois and French are actually slightly different languages, as well as the usual accent difference.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @humanity said:

@theht: I know that people from France say the french spoken by Canadians is weird although I don't know in what way - I assume it's a dialect thing like someone from Texas compared to someone from New York?

Quebecois and French are actually slightly different languages, as well as the usual accent difference.

Yah thats what I heard as well. I did take French in high school but can't really make any claims in being able to use it effectively. So it will be fun to play a game where I might catch every 5th or 7th word here and there. If anyone is french here and has heard Quebecois, or vice versa, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Pleasantly surprised by these reviews. I honestly expected a decent to middling game, so to hear it's actually quite good is refreshing. I'll still likely wait to buy it though as between Destiny, Assassin's Creed Unity and NBA 2K15, I really doubt I'll have any time to play it in the near future.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This definitely look like a game you'd want to play with a controller, or does anyone know if the mouse and keyboard controls would be doable?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@ravelle said:

Destructoid 6.

Destructoid 2nd opinion:

Loading Video...

halfashandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearing the comparisons of the controls with Ass creed concerned me a bit. I have always struggled with the controls for those games, always found myself running in the wrong direction or either running too fast or walking too slowly! However after giving this a go at EGX I was surprised how well it complements the Asscreed and maybe a bit of Batman style of controls. As you jump off a cliff for example you can press the x button to give yourself a boost in speed allowing yourself to get around very quickly. Big open landscapes made it satisfying to traverse the environment and get too objectives quickly.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

Destructoid 6.

Destructoid 2nd opinion:

Fuck. I may actually pay $50 for this game now. I can't tell you when the last time I paid full price for a game was.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#169  Edited By mike

@belegorm said:

This definitely look like a game you'd want to play with a controller, or does anyone know if the mouse and keyboard controls would be doable?

I definitely would not want to do mouse & keyboard for this game...I mean I have a nice mouse and a Ducky Shine mechanical that I try to use as much as possible, but for essentially any third person action game, I never feel comfortable with anything except a controller. It'll be interesting to see how they handled the m+k control scheme, though. But let's not kid ourselves, this game seems like it was designed around a controller from the very beginning and seems like the clear choice as far as I'm concerned.

VintageKrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this a bit at EGX in London this weekend having largely avoided much about the game. I was pretty curious given the pre-release buzz and having put my hands on it I ended up pre-ordering it.

It seems pretty forgiving (we were given access to a buffed up build) so it can be played more like hack & slash rather than Creed stealth style at some point later in the game.

The key thing I took away is that it is far more complicated than I had initially assumed (thought it was just straight up beat'em up). There are tons of icons, missions, and the nemesis "chess board" is really dense with information. We all had someone next to us explaining to us what to do and how to set up targets, etc. Quite frankly I would have been lost otherwise having jumped in cold.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fuck. I may actually pay $50 for this game now. I can't tell you when the last time I paid full price for a game was.

Same boat here :)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word on how it runs on pc? That 50$ price tag is looking pretty good, but it may be another shitty console port plus i can't max it out anyway (6gb of vram for ultra :-0 )

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I played this a bit at EGX in London this weekend having largely avoided much about the game. I was pretty curious given the pre-release buzz and having put my hands on it I ended up pre-ordering it.

It seems pretty forgiving (we were given access to a buffed up build) so it can be played more like hack & slash rather than Creed stealth style at some point later in the game.

The key thing I took away is that it is far more complicated than I had initially assumed (thought it was just straight up beat'em up). There are tons of icons, missions, and the nemesis "chess board" is really dense with information. We all had someone next to us explaining to us what to do and how to set up targets, etc. Quite frankly I would have been lost otherwise having jumped in cold.

I was watching other people play this at EGX and have to agree that it looked quite dense and complex game play-wise... but the combat looked solid and the reviews are suggesting that I ought to pay some serious attention to it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @gunslingerpanda said:

Any word on the PC version?

Judging from this it seems pretty good
    Judging from this it seems pretty good

Nice.

Looked up some videos when I realized all I knew about this was things I'd heard about the nemesis system, and fucking hell it looks like the Assassin's Creed game I've wanted since the assassinations got extremely linear after AC1. I'm gonna allow myself to get hyped, I think.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#175  Edited By TheHT

@mb said:

@belegorm said:

I definitely would not want to do mouse & keyboard for this game...I mean I have a nice mouse and a Ducky Shine mechanical that I try to use as much as possible, but for essentially any third person action game, I never feel comfortable with anything except a controller. It'll be interesting to see how they handled the m+k control scheme, though. But let's not kid ourselves, this game seems like it was designed around a controller from the very beginning and seems like the clear choice as far as I'm concerned.

On the flipside to this, I've played every main Assassin's Creed game with a keyboard and mouse (as well as the two Arkham Games I played), and would in all likelihood have a less enjoyable time with this if I used a controller. I like being able to quickly and precisely change my direction, especially in these sorts of third-person action games, which is something I can't get with thumbsticks.

When running around on rooftops and such, instead of having to correct my direction from overshooting my aim or having to move the sticks more slowly for accuracy and missing my timing, I want to be able to turn 90 degrees on a dime to exactly where I wanted to go. It's all usually a smoother experience for me with a mouse and keyboard.

But I'm sure both will be supported.

VintageKrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@james_hayward: That was kind of my point. I tend to like more complex / deep games.

I didn't have much interest before but I was pleasantly surprised by the complexity I saw at EGX, and the positive reviews only made me more confident that this is something far more interesting than I had initially assumed.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

Destructoid 6.

Destructoid 2nd opinion:

Loading Video...

I like Max, but those were five pretty stupid points.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l33t_haxor said:

@ravelle said:

Destructoid 6.

Destructoid 2nd opinion:

Loading Video...

I like Max, but those were five pretty stupid points.

I am pretty sure he is just being a dork. Max is rarely ever serious in his videos.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the environment have any variation at all?

That's the only thing putting me off of the game. Every video I see looks like a big open, brown environment with a couple of brick walls here and there. Is there anything else? Like nice looking set piece areas (buildings... something)?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.