Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft Xbla charging for skin pack.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SexyToad

Most people Know that in about ten days will be the first major update for the minecraft port. In the 1.7.3 pistons will be added, shears will be added, and so on. That's not the point of this post. The first dlc for minecraft xbla will also be coming out. That awesome but you'll have to pay. I don't want to pay for some skins. I'm thinking that these skins should be free with the update. You never had to pay to change the skin on the pc version. The price isnt set yet. I'm assuming it's going to be 400 Microsoft points. But still... Are you guys going to pay for this skin pack?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Minecraft skins are so easy to make that literally anyone could do it. Really pathetic that they would charge money for this.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaglis

If you bought the xbox version of minecraft, you fucking deserve it.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aishan

@zaglis said:

What if I got it for free?

As for the skin-packs being paid-for.. well, I find it hard to care. Just don't buy them, it's not like they're important to the game.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

It sucks yeah but I'm not surprised. If you get the game on 360 you pretty much have to expect some of that.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

So what? Minecraft is not the first game to have vanity items and customization packs as DLC. They are just fucking skins, don't buy them if you don't want them. Or buy the PC version and put the skin you want for free.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By deathbyyeti

@zaglis said:

oh you

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @JoeyRavn said:

So what? Minecraft is not the first game to have vanity items and customization packs as DLC. They are just fucking skins, don't buy them if you don't want them. Or buy the PC version and put the skin you want for free.

This really, the XBLA version is balls compared to the PC version.
    Its your own risk if you go for a lesser version that you end up paying for more stuff or waiting for futures that should have been implented already.
    audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By audiosnow

Kind of silly to charge for them, but hey, weighing the revenue from purchasers against the goodwill earned from giving it away lands pretty solidly in the revenue category.

@zaglis said:

Oh, snap, we just got served!

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Purpz

I haven't really got a problem with the skins, they're entirely cosmetic and don't add any item. But if it's Microsoft, they will nickel and dime you to the best of their ability. I'll guess 240msp per pack and they'll release about 3 at a time. There is the problem. They're going to try to milk Xbox Minecraft as much as the can, for as long as they can.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By grilledcheez

It's on the xbox, just about everything dlc related costs money on there...even if they wanted to do it for free, MS would probably give them a hard time about it.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By inkerman

Yeah, I got a feeling that Microsoft would simply not allow Mojang to give the pack away for free, or if they did, they would charge Mojang simply for the pleasure.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By louiedog

@Purpz said:

I haven't really got a problem with the skins, they're entirely cosmetic and don't add any item. But if it's Microsoft, they will nickel and dime you to the best of their ability. I'll guess 240msp per pack and they'll release about 3 at a time. There is the problem. They're going to try to milk Xbox Minecraft as much as the can, for as long as they can.

You may want to adjust your prediction. They already announced that the pack, singular, was going to have more than 40 skins in it.

So far they've announced the following:

• Jack of Blades
    • Clayton Carmine
    • Banjo
    • Ms ‘Splosion
    • Prisoner
    • Creeper Man
    • ‘Splosion Man
    • Trials Man
    • Covenant Grunt
    • King

Judging by the way avatar clothing sells for $3-5 and the popularity of the game, I think people will eat up these skins for $5. People love stuff related to their favorite characters, and if they're including Banjo and Carmine you know Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and Cortana can't be far behind.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@JoeyRavn said:

This really, the XBLA version is balls compared to the PC version. Its your own risk if you go for a lesser version that you end up paying for more stuff or waiting for futures that should have been implented already.

...wow I've never seen so much ******

1.they released the game in a version that was the most stable for the platform.

2.they've updated it once within a month of its release and a new update is already ready to go.

3.they are vanity items don't buy them.

4.Technically since characters like the trial's hd guy are in their its likely other non microsoft owned characters are in there it would seem licensing has to be paid to use them.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@WilliamRLBaker: I suggest you look around the internet more if that post bothered you.

1) Sure they did, but its mighty inferior to the pc version in terms of functions and content.
    Not a problem, but its true nonetheless.
    2) Oh hey sure, but its still old stuff compared to the PC version (most of it anyway), just feels silly to play a lesser version and wait for stuff to become available slowly while its already available on another platform.
    3) I won't, and no one with half a mind should, lest they urge the market to continue such scams.
    4) Valid point, but its still pretty lackluster for DLC.
    Skins, sure but these are freaking pixels, you can paint a decent skin yourself for the pc version, not to mention the downloables types.

I get your point but it feels really unjustified to pay more for lesser versions.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

Microsoft's business model seems the antithesis of everything Mojang has done so far. It seems weird that Notch would whore Minecraft out on XBL but declined to deal with Valve regarding distribution.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Isn't there some rule about no free stuff (or at least free DLC) for XBLA stuffs? That definitely sounds like something Microsoft would do.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eh, if you bought Minecraft for the 360 you're doing it wrong anyway, that game belongs on a PC.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Video_Game_King: Tell that to the several multiplayer packs and the new ending for Mass Effect 3. All that stuff has been free thus far.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@Ravenlight said:

Microsoft's business model seems the antithesis of everything Mojang has done so far. It seems weird that Notch would whore Minecraft out on XBL but declined to deal with Valve regarding distribution.

Mojang are pretty savvy money-makers. Most of their decisions seems to have been motivated by profitability. Raising the price on the PC arbitrarily as they went from alpha into beta isn't the action of a purely beneficent, customer focused company. When compared to other indie devs they are a lot more commercial. I wouldn't expect to see a Minecraft Humble Bundle for example (I'm aware they did offer temporary access in 2011 for purchases of the HIB3).

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @zaglis
    That's adorable.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

Buy them or don't. I honestly dont get why this is worth discussing. Same goes with all DLC really.

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Purpz

@louiedog said:

@Purpz said:

You may want to adjust your prediction. They already announced that the pack, singular, was going to have more than 40 skins in it.

So far they've announced the following:

• Jack of Blades
    • Clayton Carmine
    • Banjo
    • Ms ‘Splosion
    • Prisoner
    • Creeper Man
    • ‘Splosion Man
    • Trials Man
    • Covenant Grunt
    • King

Judging by the way avatar clothing sells for $3-5 and the popularity of the game, I think people will eat up these skins for $5. People love stuff related to their favorite characters, and if they're including Banjo and Carmine you know Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and Cortana can't be far behind.

Ah, really? That's a huge surprise. I'm actually a little bit proud.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By louiedog
    Check out the amazing preview screenshots for today’s Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition skin themes! I’ve also posted a thumbnail gallery of all the skins announced this below today’s preview! I can’t give a date for when the skin themes will be available, but I can confirm the the cost will be only 140 MSP! Stay tuned for more Minecraft announcements posting soon!

http://playxbla.com/minecraft-masterchief-skins-revealed/

New skins announced:

• Master Chief
    • Wizard
    • 'Splosion Man Scientist
    • Old School Trials Evolution
    • Squidman

140 msp is surprisingly low, although $1.75 seems weird instead of $2 which is 160 msp. Hopefully they didn't change their minds about putting all 40+ skins in one package. Of course I still have no interest in paying for skins, so I guess it doesn't matter for me.

edit: That playxbla.com post has been updated to 160 msp.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JoeyRavn

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@JoeyRavn said:

This really, the XBLA version is balls compared to the PC version. Its your own risk if you go for a lesser version that you end up paying for more stuff or waiting for futures that should have been implented already.

...wow I've never seen so much ******

You're new to the Internet? And just for the record, I never said Minecraft XBLA was an inferior version, so you may want to quote just the text or person you want to answer to.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#26  Edited By vigorousjammer

It doesn't matter, really. It's all simply cosmetic. It's kind of hard to get upset about that.

Now, if they charged for the entire update, I could definitely see why someone would be upset if that was the only version they owned.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.