Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Anyone else think the two map packs should just...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

...come with the game? Seems like we're getting ripped off for having to pay for more maps when the game is released. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Lots and lots of games are doing this, why complain about Call of Duty 5? Call of Duty 4 did the exact same, although they were much better maps than the successor.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Nah I don't mind, so long as the game doesn't suck - which I highly doubt it will.  What angers me is that they will be released on the Xbox first, then later the PS3.  That's utter bullshit in my opinion. It's not fair to their customers when they show favoritism for the all-mighty dollar.  But to stay on topic, no I don't mind waiting.  I'm assuming there will be plenty of maps to learn at release, and the new ones will most likely come out right when the others start to get stale.

SolidestChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SolidestChimp

most of the time i buy them since cod 4`s maps took ages to come out as for cod waw i never bought any. Also why do people call world at war cod 5? did people call vice city gta 4 >.>

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akeldama
    @SolidestChimp said:
    " most of the time i buy them since cod 4`s maps took ages to come out as for cod waw i never bought any. Also why do people call world at war cod 5? did people call vice city gta 4 >.> "
    i know. Waw sucked ass too. It doesnt deserve the title of COD 5 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187
    @Baillie said:
    " Lots and lots of games are doing this, why complain about Call of Duty 5? Call of Duty 4 did the exact same, although they were much better maps than the successor. "
    1.  It's not CoD5.  It's Modern Warfare 2.  There is no CoD5, as nothing has been labeled CoD5.

2.  I think it's bullshit that map packs are coming out alongside the game.  You look at Gears of War 2, they did the same thing...although they offered them for free if you bought a retail copy of the game.  If you are going to be able to release DLC the DAY YOU LAUNCH YOUR GAME...then it should be content included on the disc.  Enough said.
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By T0mF5

I don't mind as long as it doesn't cost anything, but l would be pissed off if I didn't have a hard drive like some people I know.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
    @T0mF5 said:
    "

I don't mind as long as it doesn't cost anything, but l would be pissed off if I didn't have a hard drive like some people I know.

"
    It's unlikely the packs will be free.
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By T0mF5
    @natetodamax:
    Why do you say that?
    also if its not free i hope the maps come in the collectors edition.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By natetodamax
    @T0mF5: I just can't see a developer throwing out two entire map packs without getting anything from it.
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By T0mF5
    @natetodamax:
    They are getting money from microsoft to put out the games on the Xbox first that would otherwise be on the disk.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @T0mF5: I just don't see it happening.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Zereta

Packs will definitely be at least 800 points.

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't do free.
    DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeadMan
    @Akeldama:

Must of sucked ass considering the two map packs sold over one million each,  must have sucked ass alright.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

WaW sucks. Treyarch sucks.

CoD is amazing. IW is amazing.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Ineedaname

It's just a way to get money, I remember watching an interview over at Gamespot and they were interviewing people who were developers on Marvel ultimate alliance 2, and they said on the day the game is released you'll be able to download extra characters, now if they're putting them up for release why not just put them on the disk?
    It's just a way to grab money, and an annoying way, I'd love to see the download size for those maps, they're probably on the disk already.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24

There's nothing new with this. Halo, COD4, even games like Turok do this and, from all accounts, the WaW map pack is pretty good. I went to a friend's house and played Nazi Zombies on the newest map and it was fun, more varied than the last.

Still, I am not going to pay for it because I really don't play WaW online that much. But the effort that they put into this probably does warrant another purchase.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By meteora

Map packs are basically a stripped down version of an expansion pack, featuring normally just new maps. It gets annoying, but it's not like you're forced to pay for the map pack. It's completely optional. Sure it divides up the population and you have to fork over some cash for it, but I think it's nothing as bad as servers on the PCs being incompatible due to the fact some people play different versions/patches of a game.

That being said, a lot of developers should follow Burnout: Paradise's direction with tons of free updates for the better.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kmdrkul

Infinity Ward ripped us off with the Variety Pack for CoD4.  Seems like they spent all their time on Creek and Chinatown and then threw in Broadcast and that other shit map as afterthoughts.  For all the hate World at War gets, Treyarch has done a good job with their DLC maps. 

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrGetBonus

As long as they are free whenever they come out on the PC like the CoD4 pack, I'm fine with it.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By hexogen
    @T0mF5 said:
    " Why does everyone think the maps won't be free? "
    Because (at least on consoles) Call of Duty 4's weren't free, and World At War's aren't free, so why would this be any different?
    zidane33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By zidane33

yes definitely we're being ripped off, they are making the maps  with the original game and just delaying putting  them up for the sake of more money, see how much the waw map pack made

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hexogen

Is everyone just assuming that these maps are going to be coming out alongside the game, or did I miss the news where they said this was happening?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akeldama
    @DeadMan said:
    " @Akeldama: Must of sucked ass considering the two map packs sold over one million each,  must have sucked ass alright. "
    hannah montana sells millions. The jonas brothers sell millions. They suck ass but they are still popular. Just because it sells does not mean its good. 
    DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeadMan
    @Akeldama:

If it sells it must be doing something right, to you they might suck but face it COD: WOW and all the other things you mention sell. So what you are saying is that everything else that sells millions of copies sucks. By the way, COD: WOW is a very fun game and it will keep me entertained until Modern Warfare 2 comes out.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akeldama
    @DeadMan said:
    " @Akeldama: If it sells it must be doing something right, to you they might suck but face it COD: WOW and all the other things you mention sell. So what you are saying is that everything else that sells millions of copies sucks. By the way, COD: WOW is a very fun game and it will keep me entertained until Modern Warfare 2 comes out. "
    WaW sucked in comparison to modern warfare. Thats my opinion. You dont like it, tough shit. 
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kmdrkul said:
    " Infinity Ward ripped us off with the Variety Pack for CoD4.  Seems like they spent all their time on Creek and Chinatown and then threw in Broadcast and that other shit map as afterthoughts.  For all the hate World at War gets, Treyarch has done a good job with their DLC maps.  "
    O.o Broadcast is my favorite map
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kmdrkul said:
    " Infinity Ward ripped us off with the Variety Pack for CoD4.  Seems like they spent all their time on Creek and Chinatown and then threw in Broadcast and that other shit map as afterthoughts.  For all the hate World at War gets, Treyarch has done a good job with their DLC maps.  "
    O.o Broadcast is my favorite map
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kmdrkul
    @xobballox said:
    " @kmdrkul said:
    O.o Broadcast is my favorite map "
    It's not a bad map, but I mean, they just ripped it from the single player basically. 
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kmdrkul: Ah, ok, yeah, it was basically ripped from single player.
    DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeadMan
    @Akeldama:

That is your opinion, but to say that game sucked and it sold millions just because it sucked is insane.
    I just noticed that I put COD: WOW....lol
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Akeldama

no retard. I didnt say it sold because it sucked. I said it sold AND it sucked compared to MW

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Drebin_893
    @DeadMan said:
    "@Akeldama: If it sells it must be doing something right, to you they might suck but face it COD: WOW and all the other things you mention sell. So what you are saying is that everything else that sells millions of copies sucks. By the way, COD: WOW is a very fun game and it will keep me entertained until Modern Warfare 2 comes out. "
    I really want this "Call of Duty: World of Warcraft" that you speak of.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shadows_kill
    @T0mF5 said:
    " @natetodamax: They are getting money from microsoft to put out the games on the Xbox first that would otherwise be on the disk. "
    im not sure ms paid for the map packs and it would have most likely came out on 360 first anyway just because live updates on wedensday (im 90% sure anyway..) and psn is on thursday so it could just be 1 day exclusive thing >_>
    hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hexogen
    @shadows_kill said:
    " @T0mF5 said:
    " @natetodamax: They are getting money from microsoft to put out the games on the Xbox first that would otherwise be on the disk. "
    im not sure ms paid for the map packs and it would have most likely came out on 360 first anyway just because live updates on wedensday (im 90% sure anyway..) and psn is on thursday so it could just be 1 day exclusive thing >_> "
    Microsoft wouldn't have bothered making it a part of their press conference if it was going to be a one day exclusive. If I had to guess, I would say around a month, though I can't be sure.
    hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hexogen
    @T0mF5 said:
    " @Hexogen said:
    "@T0mF5 said:
    " Why does everyone think the maps won't be free? "
    Because (at least on consoles) Call of Duty 4's weren't free, and World At War's aren't free, so why would this be any different?"
    The other map packs came out months after the game while these map packs are going to come out right away. "
    Do you have a link to to the story where they said the map packs were coming out right away?
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By T0mF5
    @Hexogen:
    I have no idea why I thought the map packs would come out right away, but now that I think about you are probably right about them not coming out right away meaning that I am going to have to pay for them. They should really just release these maps with the game if they already have them planned before the game comes out.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wolverine
    @natetodamax: I think it is a bit of a rip off. I'm guessing the reason they are doing this is because they already finished the game and have free time to make maps. I just don't understand why this maps don't come with the game. I'm fine with there being add ons that cost money for games right when they come out as long as the game is less then $60. If a game is $40 and only comes with three maps and all of the downloadable content costs $30 then you would be spending $10 more for the whole game. That would be fine with me because you would have more of a choice.
    DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DeadMan
    @Drebin_893:

lol yeah I noticed that after I posted it, would it not be fun to have a Call of Duty: World of Warcraft., never played WOW but for some reason I guess I was thinking of it when I posted it.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's too bad that it happens but there's not much we can do about it.

DeeJayP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DeeJayP

They wouldn't just give us two map packs with the game... because then well, they wouldn't be map packs, they would just be maps with the game. I think that if they were going to do that though, they should include it in atleast the hardened or the prestige additions for the game, just so consumers get more bang for there buck.

Sarge117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sarge117

Who says the maps would be released the day the game comes out? Infinity Ward said that the next 2 map packs for MW2 would be released for Xbox Live before PSN. Not once did I hear them say that the maps would be released the day the game comes out. You guys aren't looking at this from a developer's point of view. If after a month the game comes out they say a map pack is going to come out people ask why wasn't it included in the game. I'll tell you why: it's because the maps in that map pack were not made yet nor were they made when the game finished development. Meaning the game entered the phase where the developers have nothing to do but test it, mass produce it, and then ship it. When they hit the mass production stage, they cannot go in and put new strands of code in and rewrite parts or the whole of a game. It's the point of no return.

Also, regarding Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Gears of War 2's DLC on the day it's released, it's either a pre-order promotion or Special Edition promotion or just something where you have the option to do just in case you don't want them or maybe they did not have enough room in the 8.54 GBs of data in there?

DeeJayP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DeeJayP

I agree completly with what Sarge117 said, some people might not know that there pretty much done the game now, all they have to do is test it from head to toe, single and multi player, for any bugs at all that may ruin the gameplay, or that could be abused by players. Also mass producing millions of copies dosn't happen in a night, neither does shipping it across the world and to different states and countries. So for them to say, wait, lets add some more maps into the game, would just delay it possibly till early next year, because it would have to make them redo the whole process, and all the copies they already made would be garbage.

And to the people who says Brodcast was ripped straight from the story, that is true, but so is Bog and Crossfire, and theres other maps, but I forget the name of them now. The only difference is that Brodcast is DLC, but we should just be happy that it was a kickass map, along with China Town, and the medicore Creek which was good for sniping. And we should ALL be happy that atleast the situation isn't like Halo 3, where if you don't buy the DLC, you can't play alot of game modes.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crunchUK
    @natetodamax said:
    " ...come with the game? Seems like we're getting ripped off for having to pay for more maps when the game is released. Doesn't make much sense to me. "
    Sure it makes sense, you have to pay more and lets face it idiots will.
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By matthew
    @jakob187 said:   
    2.  I think it's bullshit that map packs are coming out alongside the game.  You look at Gears of War 2, they did the same thing...although they offered them for free if you bought a retail copy of the game.  If you are going to be able to release DLC the DAY YOU LAUNCH YOUR GAME...then it should be content included on the disc.  Enough said.
    "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.