Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Evidence that the name "Modern Warfare 2" is a bad idea.

• 65 results
    TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By TonicBH

Remember World at War? Yeah, before its announcement everybody called it COD5. Even when the game was announced sans a number, people still called it COD5. WHEN IT CAME OUT, SOME PEOPLE STILL CALLED IT COD5. Playfire has it labeled as "Call of Duty 5: World at War."

And most people I know who play COD4 called it that, not "Modern Warfare." It's such a generic name that it even got Andrew Pfister confusing it with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for previews and reviews of WAW.

I'm not saying that the game's gonna suck because of that, but you're gonna confuse a big chunk of your audience because people knew it as "Call of Duty." Modern Warfare is such a generic term that it could mean anything. It'd be like EA calling the next Battlefield game simply "Bad Company 2."

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TonicBH

Remember World at War? Yeah, before its announcement everybody called it COD5. Even when the game was announced sans a number, people still called it COD5. WHEN IT CAME OUT, SOME PEOPLE STILL CALLED IT COD5. Playfire has it labeled as "Call of Duty 5: World at War."

And most people I know who play COD4 called it that, not "Modern Warfare." It's such a generic name that it even got Andrew Pfister confusing it with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for previews and reviews of WAW.

I'm not saying that the game's gonna suck because of that, but you're gonna confuse a big chunk of your audience because people knew it as "Call of Duty." Modern Warfare is such a generic term that it could mean anything. It'd be like EA calling the next Battlefield game simply "Bad Company 2."

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

My thoughts exactly. Who do you know that called COD4 just Modern Warfare? Nobody that's who. No need to ditch the COD name just because Treyarch didn't bring justice to the name...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

I actually like the idea of splitting the CoD games into seperate franchulettes.

Crypto136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Crypto136
    Jayge said:
    "I actually like the idea of splitting the CoD games into seperate franchulettes."

Me 2
    Its a great idea because Call of Duty is in its 6th game.......I personally have gotten tired of the call of duty name
    and for the sales point of this....It's going 2 be extremely hyped...there are going to be advertisements everywhere...people are gonna be talking about it alot.....TonicBH said:
    And most people I know who play COD4 called it that, not "Modern Warfare."
    Really? Me and my friends say Modern Warfare and World At War
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NinjaHunter

I personally think that COD4: Modern Warfare is popular enough that they can get away with just "Modern Warfare 2". But is it confirmed that the box is just going to say that? We don't know yet. I mean the first trailers for spider-man 3 just ended with "3" and that wasn't the name of the movie.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive

i like modern warfare 2. because other wise people will call it cod6 which it totally isn't, or what?? cod4.2? call of duty four point two!?!! LOL

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stephengotlost

It seems that most people referred to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare just as COD4. I think the abbreviation has become synonymous with Call of Duty, so I believe the abbreviation should make it into the game title.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Kiemoe

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Mission Accomplished.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bjorno

Call of Duty 6: yes it's still good.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

It seems to me that Infinity Ward deserve to use the name Call of Duty.  They created the series and they are the reason for people still buying Call of Duty games.  If Call of Duty 4 hadn't been released I would honestly have given up on the CoD franchise right now, CoD3 and then CoDWaW were pretty bad when compared to even Call of Duty 1 and 2.  The battles just don't feel the same, they feel very contrived and static.

Then again if it were me in charge I think I'd like to find some way of distinguishing between a Treyarch Call of Duty and an Infinty Ward Call of Duty.  I'm not saying force Treyarch to drop the Call of Duty name but maybe having Infinity Ward drop the name and create a new franchise i.e. "Modern Warfare" isn't a terrible idea.  If you made the boxart similar to Call of Duty 4's and put a "by the studio that brought you" sticker on it then maybe it wouldn't suffer at retail.  That also means that Infinity Ward's games stand out from Treyarch's.

TwoOneFive said:
    "i like modern warfare 2. because other wise people will call it cod6 which it totally isn't, or what?? cod4.2? call of duty four point two!?!! LOL"
    That's actually a pretty good point and it could be another reason for moving away from the Call of Duty name.  COD42 or COD6 are pretty dumb names and also inaccurate.  MW2 is a good abreviation and people know exactly what you're talking about.  Do you Robert Bowling thought of this problem years ago?  It would certainly explain his Gamertag "FourZeroTwo" as in CoD4.2
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs

It will use the Call of Duty name, end of discussion.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By ishotmrburns
    NinjaSquirrel said:
    "nobody says world at war. Nobody."
    I do.
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Will1Lucky

In my opinion, it's really as if though Infinity just handed over the name to Treyarch.

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RyanJW

I think it's quite clear that they're trying to position Call of Duty as two separate series, and may even go for three in the future if they decide to explore a futuristic setting, or some other historical period.

Think of it this way: with this new approach, a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and a Call of Duty: World at War 2 could theoretically come out at the same time, although this is unlikely for marketing reasons. How can you define which is Call of Duty 7 and which is 8? You have to just stop thinking of it as a single ongoing series, because it no longer is. It's kind of just becoming Activision Blizzard's label for a certain type of war game, seeing as multiple developers handle the games.

Think of it like Crime Scene Investigation and its various spin-offs. Modern Warfare is the modern take on the series, and World at War (an existing term for WW2) is for the WW2 take.

Avatar image for darkenzanarikado
    DarkEnzanArikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DarkEnzanArikado

Well blame Activision really, they made some decisions to the CoD franchise letting Treyarch make 3 and WaW and now IW was to gfto out of that name.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cheapoz

They're transitioning the brand.

Mountain Dew recently became Mtn Dew....
    • It still looks like Mountain Dew
    • It still tastes like Mountain Dew
    • IT'S FRIGGIN MOUNTAIN DEW

Modern Warfare 2 will be just fine, Acti have the marketing clout to make sure everyone is aware.
    hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By hexogen

Maybe this is what Robert Bowling meant when he said their new contract with Activision gave them the possibility of a creating new IP that they'll have complete control over.  Come to think of it, pretty much every time he's mentioned the game in his blog, he refers to it as just Modern Warfare 2. I don't think he's included Call of Duty in the name even once. Then again, it may just be a working title. It's completely understandable why Infinity Ward would want this, though. If Infinity Ward is the sole developer of their own franchise, then everyone can expect every entry in the franchise to be of high quality. But Call of Duty has many companies developing games of varying quality with the name on it (Treyarch, Spark Unlimited, etc.), which is probably confusing for your average gamer who doesn't really know (or care) about who's making what games. They just see the name Call of Duty on the box and think, 'Oh, Call of Duty 4 was awesome. I should totally get this!'

In the end though, I don't really care what it winds up being called, as long as they get it in my hands ASAP.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
    Basically their hiding up the actual quantity of rehashes, although this has been happening for some time within the cod series

1)Call of duty

2)Call of duty united offensive

3)Call of duty finest hour

4)Call of duty 2

5)Call of duty 2 the big red one

6)call of duty 3

7)call of duty 4

8)World at war

9)call od duty "modern warfare 2"

They're not going to go call it call of duty 9 are they? depsite that it;'s the actual sequel number.

Oh and there is call of duty psp as well.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

Considering how shit World at War was, distancing themselves from that inferior product can only be a good thing.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By damswedon

there has only been 3 call of duty game 1,2 & MW

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AuthenticM

I call it Modern Warfare.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By damswedon

also i never called Call of Duty, Cod and 4 was just Modern Warfare to me.

ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ip007

I hate it when people call World at War COD 5!! I try calling it WaW but then again I don't need to say it that often because I don't own WaW..

I'm happy with COD 4 and I look forward to Modern Warfare 2, or what ever it will be called..

Again - I hate the "COD 5" name!!
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By iamjohn
    PercyChuggs said:
    "It will use the Call of Duty name, end of discussion."
    Obviously.  They're hyping it as Modern Warfare 2 in the same way that Rockstar, in the first GTA trailer, just called it IV.  You know what it is, they just wanna get you hyped because they have returned.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26  Edited By dsplayer1010

I think it'll do fine.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TonicBH
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Considering how shit World at War was, distancing themselves from that inferior product can only be a good thing."

You and I must've played different games, then. I liked it.
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By fillmoejoe

It's funny to see what will happen now, on XBox live for example, the game is being called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Either way it's interesting to see how the game will be promoted. If IW will in fact branch off and sell it as Modern Warfare the series. I can see how they think people are tired of seeing Call of Duty on a yearly basis. Then again how can IW not include Call of Duty in the gamebox itself that would be pretty dumb. Call of Duty is established and i'm sure they want the world at war crowd to migrate back.

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RyanJW

Maybe it'll be positioned like the 'Tom Clancy' brand (who pretty much has nothing to do with the games nowadays, nor their stories).

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Red

It's just like Halo 3: ODST; no one knows what the title entails.

CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CursaKuma
    NinjaSquirrel said:
    "I agree. When I first saw that I was like, "Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare?" And also, nobody says world at war. Nobody."

I like how you say nobody twice.. making your opinion "fact"  also, making me feel like an fucking retard because I called it World at War... thanks <3
    Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

activision could just keep infinity ward doing the numbered releases and treyarch doing the subtitled, but not numbered releases. sort of like how rockstar made gta3, then vice city and san andreas, then gta 4. when you think about it, cod:w@w didn't even have a number in the title, so  the next game could theoretically just be called cod5: mw.

CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CursaKuma
    spilledmilkfactory said:
    "

activision could just keep infinity ward doing the numbered releases and treyarch doing the subtitled, but not numbered releases. sort of like how rockstar made gta3, then vice city and san andreas, then gta 4. when you think about it, cod:w@w didn't even have a number in the title, so  the next game could theoretically just be called cod5: mw.

"
    I like your way of thinking, i wouldn't mind calling this CoD5 at all because it is a real game.. not a rehash like that offensive game or big red one. Its a real from the ground up (using the same engine?) sequel.. im just afraid they will come back with another CoD in the future and call it just CoD5. Then I'd be like.. damn x(!!!
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kmdrkul

I'm really not quite sure why they don't just stick with non-numerical suffixes after the series' name.  Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 makes sense and apparently- from reading this sort of topic on several forums- will please both sides of the argument.  To drop the series name to me seems like they would alienate a lot of CoD fans.  Since the series has already adopted such loose guidelines for what their games are with the addition of modern warfare it would not make sense to ditch the name after the first "Modern Warfare" already had the Call of Duty prefix...

YoConraaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YoConraaa
    @NinjaSquirrel:

I call it World at War, so what? 

It's always like : ''Hey guys, what do you  wanna play: Call 4 or World at War ?''

Actually, I don't know why the f I ask this... the answer is always the same.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wolverine
    @TonicBH: Agreed, that is like calling Halo 2 "Combat Evolved 2".
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PowerSerj
    @YoConraaa: Call 4? Really?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i agree with both sides : its true that the Call of Duty name is fading out and the new turn in the COD franchise requires new badass names like Modern Warfare and World At War ..

STILL, its Call of Duty.. thats the name of the game.. they should never lose it..

i like to call this game Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Red said:
    " It's just like Halo 3: ODST; no one knows what the title entails. "
    I don't know what you mean but; Orbital Drop Shock Trooper.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lemon360

seriously who cares as long as the gameplay's good

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i agree with both sides : its true that the Call of Duty name is fading out and the new turn in the COD franchise requires new badass names like Modern Warfare and World At War ..

STILL, its Call of Duty.. thats the name of the game.. they should never lose it..

i like to call this game Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2"
    Yeah, I'm sure that's what most people will call it, and internally, it's still known as both I don't think they're actually sure which direction they're trying to go in.
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PowerSerj
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i agree with both sides : its true that the Call of Duty name is fading out and the new turn in the COD franchise requires new badass names like Modern Warfare and World At War ..

i like to call this game Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2"
    Yeah, I'm sure that's what most people will call it, and internally, it's still known as both I don't think they're actually sure which direction they're trying to go in. "
    I really really really hope Call of Duty is somewhere in the title when it's released. And this has nothing to do with what to call the game when it's out or any of that crap either. It will just feel really weird to see the latest iteration of arguably the most famous FPS series to lose its historied moniker, and I'm sure some people on the IW team feel the same way. Screw all that distancing from Treyarch bullshit. The CoD name deserves better.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Red said:
    " It's just like Halo 3: ODST; no one knows what the title entails. "
    At least in Halo 3: ODST they left in the Halo.
    They named Modern Warfare 2 the name almost no one called the first game and it might hurt their sales if only a little.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

Ah, another thread for people to hate on W@W...

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By Brundage
    @ishotmrburns said:
    " NinjaSquirrel said:
    "nobody says world at war. Nobody."
    I do. "
    so do i.
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Oriental_Jams

It's not a problem, every ordinary person is just going to call this COD 6.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Akeldama
    @Red: ODST? try Reach. Wtf is Halo Reach? 
    Arsenal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Arsenal86

I rarely called call of duty 4 cod4 or world at war cod 5 i both called them cod and I think I will call MW2 Warfare or again cod

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JDM006
    @lemon360 said:
    " seriously who cares as long as the gameplay's good "
    Exactly.  But I think it's a smart move by Infinity Ward to separate the Modern Warfare franchise from the Call of Duty series since they have become 2 separate franchises thanks to the superb COD4.  Treyarch didn't make a bad game with COD: World at War, but it was a copycat game of Modern Warfare placed in a WW2 setting.  By separating the two titles Infinity Ward's reputation will not be tarnished if Treyarch makes a bad Call of Duty game in 2010.  By having one franchise named Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward) and the other Call of Duty (Treyarch) it will be more clear to consumers which developer the games are produced by.  Also, it just make more sense for them to drop the Call of Duty name.  Modern Warfare 2 is a continuation of the story from COD4.  It wouldn't make sense to call this one COD 6: Modern Warfare 2.  People would then be asking what happened to COD 5: Modern Warfare?  Why did Modern Warfare jump from COD 4 to COD 6?  I think by dropping the COD name Infinity Ward eliminated a lot confusion around the names for both franchises since both will see a lot of sequels released in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.