Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Infinity Ward's Behemoth Beset by "Disease"

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

Just read this article on Destructoid that tells of a strange virus that's spreading amongst the XBOX 360 Modern Warfare 2 community. The virus, which started as a mod for the PC version of MW2, constitutes of the player obtaining infinite grenades and ammunition (alongside weapons that never require reloading) and appears to infect its victims via "carrier" players who have caught it from another player (which has earned it some delightful comparisons to STDs).

As of now there is no cure for the bug, but Microsoft and Infinity Ward have both released assurances of their speedy progress on a solution as well as threatening those spreading the virus with permanent XBOX Live bans. Destructoid alludes to this being some kind of uprising by disgruntled MW2 PC players due to the decision by IW to axe dedicated servers, but I think this is simply a case of people on the internet being assholes. Again.

While the symptoms of this glitch may initially seem appealing to some, try to remember that a game isn't fun if it has no rules, especially if that game revolves around competition on a level playing field. With that in mind, you might want to steer clear of MW2's competitive online offering for the next few days while the issue is resolved. Hell, there's always Spec Ops with friends, right? 

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Just read this article on Destructoid that tells of a strange virus that's spreading amongst the XBOX 360 Modern Warfare 2 community. The virus, which started as a mod for the PC version of MW2, constitutes of the player obtaining infinite grenades and ammunition (alongside weapons that never require reloading) and appears to infect its victims via "carrier" players who have caught it from another player (which has earned it some delightful comparisons to STDs).

As of now there is no cure for the bug, but Microsoft and Infinity Ward have both released assurances of their speedy progress on a solution as well as threatening those spreading the virus with permanent XBOX Live bans. Destructoid alludes to this being some kind of uprising by disgruntled MW2 PC players due to the decision by IW to axe dedicated servers, but I think this is simply a case of people on the internet being assholes. Again.

While the symptoms of this glitch may initially seem appealing to some, try to remember that a game isn't fun if it has no rules, especially if that game revolves around competition on a level playing field. With that in mind, you might want to steer clear of MW2's competitive online offering for the next few days while the issue is resolved. Hell, there's always Spec Ops with friends, right? 

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

sounds sexually attractive.. and well, very painful to say the least. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

That's funny because today when participating in a messed up 9 v 9 FFA match on Rust I completed a challenge called STD. The description was "Transmission complete"

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss
    @natetodamax said:
    " That's funny because today when participating in a messed up 9 v 9 FFA match on Rust I completed a challenge called STD. The description was "Transmission complete" "
    How fucked would it be if this was all some massive troll by IW? Let the conspiracy theories commence.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

SO THAT IS WHAT THE FUCK HAS BEEN GOING ON!!! 

It's weird.  The minute that the Javelin glitch was fixed, this shit started popping up where queuing me and my buddies up as a party in TDM, Domination, or Ground War was somehow popping us into Private Matches for an FFA on Rust...or outright disconnecting us...or all kinds of shit.  Now I know what this is.  Appreciate you looking out for it. 

Lately, Modern Warfare 2 has turned into nothing but an annoying and broken piece of shit with all this IWNet bullshit.  Can they SERIOUSLY just drop it already?  I mean, it's not like the matchmaking even works well.  How is it balanced when one team has P3 level 60s and the other team has non-P level 30s and 40s?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jakob187 said:
    " SO THAT IS WHAT THE FUCK HAS BEEN GOING ON!!!  It's weird.  The minute that the Javelin glitch was fixed, this shit started popping up where queuing me and my buddies up as a party in TDM, Domination, or Ground War was somehow popping us into Private Matches for an FFA on Rust...or outright disconnecting us...or all kinds of shit.  Now I know what this is.  Appreciate you looking out for it.  Lately, Modern Warfare 2 has turned into nothing but an annoying and broken piece of shit with all this IWNet bullshit.  Can they SERIOUSLY just drop it already?  I mean, it's not like the matchmaking even works well.  How is it balanced when one team has P3 level 60s and the other team has non-P level 30s and 40s? "
    Basically my thought. There's more cursing in my version, though.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @jakob187 said:
    " Lately, Modern Warfare 2 has turned into nothing but an annoying and broken piece of shit with all this IWNet bullshit.  Can they SERIOUSLY just drop it already?  I mean, it's not like the matchmaking even works well.  How is it balanced when one team has P3 level 60s and the other team has non-P level 30s and 40s? "
    Yeah, tell me about it. On multiple occasions I've been put against teams with scores like 1900,1700,1500,1400 on one side and under 1200 on my side... Yes IW, that's totally balanced.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

I was watching some of those glitch videos on Youtube for the heck of it, and some people said your 360's HDD cache might be the carrier for these 'infectious' mods.  Who knows, but you might try clearing your cache if you care to.

IW is probably wishing they had a nice beta period like they had with COD4 at this point.  Doesn't help that there are so many disgruntled people out to try to ruin the experience for others.

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hannibal

I couldn't find a normal game last night, now I can't find an infinite ammo one.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dylabaloo

I didn't know something like this could be done, a multiplayer virus guess we'll be needing anti virus and pop up blockers on our 360 soon. Wonder how its spread because if i get banned for spreading it just because i got put into one of these glitched games by the match making i'll be pretty pissed. Note to infinity ward don't piss off pc gamers or they'll do some hardcore shit. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax

So wait, someone could be a carrier without even knowing it?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By End_Boss
    @natetodamax said:

" So wait, someone could be a carrier without even knowing it? "

As I understand it, you'll know if you're "infected" if you can shoot forever.

P.S. If you find that you can shoot forever, I would steer way clear of MW2 until a patch is released. Also me. I don't want your filthy filthy diseases.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @Dylabaloo said:
    I didn't know something like this could be done, a multiplayer virus guess we'll be needing anti virus and pop up blockers on our 360 soon. Wonder how its spread because if i get banned for spreading it just because i got put into one of these glitched games by the match making i'll be pretty pissed. Note to infinity ward don't piss off pc gamers or they'll do some hardcore shit.
    Ehh, you're not going to need antivirus for 360.  The problem is, no matter what, IW was sloppy in their coding at some level.  They weren't checking that these hosting / client variables were set to valid values.  The PC version existing and people having found the console probably helped locate these values.

It's really not going to help PC gamers, because if they do find PC gamers caused this they're even less likely to develop for the platform in the future.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cstrang

Wow.  I'm kind of glad I haven't played MW2 online since launch week with all of this stuff going on with the online community.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @End_Boss said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    As I understand it, you'll know if you're "infected" if you can shoot forever.  P.S. If you find that you can shoot forever, I would steer way clear of MW2 until a patch is released. "
    My dad has encountered unlimited ammo a few times and I've encountered it once. Does this mean we are in danger of being banned?
    Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hannibal
    @End_Boss said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    As I understand it, you'll know if you're "infected" if you can shoot forever.  P.S. If you find that you can shoot forever, I would steer way clear of MW2 until a patch is released. "
    As I just said, I can't even find an infinite ammo game after being unable to avoid them last night. The whole virus thing is wrong.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By End_Boss
    @natetodamax said:
    " @End_Boss said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    My dad has encountered unlimited ammo a few times and I've encountered it once. Does this mean we are in danger of being banned? "
    Possibly? I'm not Microsoft, so I can't say for sure. I would be cautious.

@Hannibal: Totally a possibility. The more I read on this thing, the weirder it gets.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond

Was doing a bit more research.

Sounds like the glitch is related to a glitch enabling exp earning in private matches, the glitch can then spread.  Turning off the 360 should clear the glitch from your own console.

Basically if they fix the private match counting as ranked, they should fix the unlimited ammo glitch in the process.

Supposedly nothing to do with modding of any kind.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By End_Boss
    @Diamond said:
    " Was doing a bit more research.  Sounds like the glitch is related to a glitch enabling exp earning in private matches, the glitch can then spread.  Turning off the 360 should clear the glitch from your own console.  Basically if they fix the private match counting as ranked, they should fix the unlimited ammo glitch in the process. "
    So it originated from people gaming the system for extra prestige? People on the internet being assholes confirmed.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
    " @End_Boss said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    My dad has encountered unlimited ammo a few times and I've encountered it once. Does this mean we are in danger of being banned? "
    Nah. I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing. I've been in probably fifty matches involving the glitches in the last two days, and not by choice. This sort of thing is too widespread for Microsoft to dish out that sort of punishment. Besides, it's wrapping up a lot of innocent players. The best solution is just to exorcise the glitches and move on.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By apathylad

Modern Warfare 2 has been really buggy lately, which has already been said with the whole Public/Private match glitch. Still, on twitter @fourzerotwo said that they were even going to patch the overpowered 1887 shotguns.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel
    @Apathylad said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 has been really buggy lately, which has already been said with the whole Public/Private match glitch. Still, on twitter @fourzerotwo said that they were even going to patch the overpowered 1887 shotguns. "
    I wonder if that will be in time to bring back players that this massive glitching has already alienated.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Afroman269

Hmm sounds like herpes but the side effects don't suck.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By Zereta

I got that yesterday and stayed with the party. 

Only time I ever used the grenade launcher. Shit's fun. But broken and sad.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25  Edited By Symphony

So i'm still not finding these matches. Is Mercenary Team Deathmatch immune or something?

NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks

Im really considering selling this game , have I lost faith , or am I seeing sense ? Need advice lol :p

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By itsmadness
    @NinjaCupCaiks: I would just wait. It sucks that this is happening, but IW will eventually clear up a lot of these problems. and you might regret selling it at some point.
    NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks

Yeah , I'll give it time but if it still has flaws by the time Bad Company 2 hits , its getting traded . At least I have some Faith in Dice :p Thanks for the advice <3

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pause422

Everyone knows this is going on...its just a matter of when its going to be fixed. Destructoid also have no idea how it started, so I like how they make it sound like they have it all figured out and the blamed pointed at "mad PC players" instead of IW themselves in releasing a game in good shape, when its proven to be the glitchest high profile game probably of all time so far.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Yo End_Boss, wanna go play some spec-ops, maybe bro out?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @jakob187 said:
    "  Lately, Modern Warfare 2 has turned into nothing but an annoying and broken piece of shit with all this IWNet bullshit.  "
    made me laugh :P
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nanikore

This is bad? I want to get this "disease". Seems like a ton of fun.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @nanikore said:
    " This is bad? I want to get this "disease". Seems like a ton of fun. "
    ANARCHY BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YEEEAH!
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#34  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Thanks for the heads-up, End Boss.  Now, why can't anyone invent the Hot Shots Part Deux mod, with snipers firing chickens?
    Avatar image for ihaxedallreconcodez
    iHaxedAllReconCodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diamond said:
    " I was watching some of those glitch videos on Youtube for the heck of it, and some people said your 360's HDD cache might be the carrier for these 'infectious' mods.  Who knows, but you might try clearing your cache if you care to.  IW is probably wishing they had a nice beta period like they had with COD4 at this point.  Doesn't help that there are so many disgruntled people out to try to ruin the experience for others. "
    It would have probably been a good idea to have a beta period for InfinityWard. They're probably looking back no saying why the fuck didn't we have a beta!?!?! And why did we have to be stupid and keep everything to ourselves until a week before the release where someone accidentally "leaked" some info. 

I think most games should do a beta testing for online of some sort. This gives time for people go go crazy and spread some infectious mods to people.  If you do remember this was happening at one point with CoD4 and CoD: WaW. In both games people were having infinite ammo and could UFO. But InfinityWard took some time to fix it while Treyarch jumped right in. Personally I like InfinityWards games better but who knows maybe Treyarch could help a little here, or maybe they're the ones spreading the virus.  
    RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By RisingRaiden

Yeah, MW2 is more broken than W@W...  I'm selling it for Borderlands or something that I'll actually enjoy...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By jakob187

There was an update today.  Don't know if that was the fix for it or not, but I know that fourzerotwo's Twitter said they were working on an update to not only fix this issue, but also to balance the 1887s out. 

And I've gotta say...if they balanced the 1887s out...then they merely balanced them out to be goddamn sniper rifles, because I had assholes killing me from WAAAAAAAAY further away today than they were last night. 

Oh WHY do I torture myself with this game's multiplayer?

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
     And I've gotta say...if they balanced the 1887s out...then they merely balanced them out to be goddamn sniper rifles, because I had assholes killing me from WAAAAAAAAY further away today than they were last night.  Oh WHY do I torture myself with this game's multiplayer? "
    Seems to me like they are having fun copy/pasting other guns on those  

Also, if this is possible, then someone could actually makes something that kills 360's,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.