Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Just Started

JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JaxDaxter

Hi, I've just started playing COD online after finally getting my Xbox Live working and have got to around level 25 in the past 2 or 3 days. I was just wondering if there are any particularly good or bad guns or perks I should either pick or stay away from.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Alphawolfy

The guns should be fine as long as you're comfortable with them. I would say make a class for every primary weapon type (maybe 2 for ARs?), to try them out. Experiment with different guns and see which ones you like. 
    I do have one suggestion for machine-pistols though. The PP-2000, from my experience, is a great gun. 
    As for perks, pick the ones that suit the class you're using. At your level you probably haven't unlocked all of them yet, so I'm not really sure what to suggest :( 

Oh, and if you ever play FFA and notice one guy is getting tons of kills without a death, and another guy is getting tons of deaths without a kill, hunt those boosters down! :D

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xMP44x

I'll be more than happy to give you an idea of some good stuff to use. 

Weapons

Sorry that these aren't very well organised. I just made a list of guns and realised they weren't well laid out later. So, I hope you'll bare with me and read through it.

UMP .45: The UMP .45 is a very good gun to use, due to the incredibly high damage it deals despite being an SMG. The downside to the UMP is that it has fairly bad recoil. It's not bad by, say, Battlefield: Bad Company standards, but it's bad in comparison to other guns.

FAMAS: This is a favorite of mine when it comes to the Assault Rifles. It fires three shots when you pull the trigger, and it leaves a nice impression on a target. If you're against an M16 user, you'll potentially win, due to the fact the FAMAS fires more quickly.

M16A4: Yes, you unlock this at Rank 40. But when you do unlock it, you'd do well to know this is an extremely good assault rifle to have on you. It fires three shots, like the FAMAS. And if you use them both consistently, you'll likely get very good with them.

SCAR-H: High powered assault rifle. It has a fairly low fire rate, which makes it easy to control. Plus, the irons are nice on it. The other problem is the small magazine - only 20 rounds in it, so you could be reloading frequently.

TAR-21: The TAR-21 is similar to the SCAR-H above, but it has a higher fire rate and a larger magazine. What's not to love?

Intervention: The Intervention is a good sniper rifle, but it has only five shots in the magazine, so don't miss. Also, it's a bolt action, and all the other sniper rifles are semi-automatic. All adds up to: don't miss.

Barrett .50 Cal: Say hello to the other good sniper rifle. The Barrett fires more quickly than the Intervention and reloads more quickly. If you're confident you'll miss, use this beast. 

SPAS-12: The SPAS is a secondary weapon, but it is a very, very good one to use. It's a pump action shotgun, and not only does it make you look pimp, it also works well.

Ranger: Sawn off shotguns, which can be dual wielded. No complaints here, apart from the small magazine. When dual wielded you only get two shots per shotgun. So make sure and keep them lethal shots. 

M93 Raffica: My personal favorite pistol. It works like an M16 or FAMAS, but it can be Akimbo'd. Not only that, it's also highly accurate.

PP-2000: Another very powerful sidearm. It's accurate, easy to control and blessed with superb ironsights. I recommend you try this thing out sometime.

Perks

Yeah, these aren't laid out in any particular order either. My bad dude, but I hope it's still gonna be of help to you!

St opping Power: The staple second perk of the majority of players, Stopping Power increases the power of any gun you use. Very helpful with the majority of the guns. Also, the Pro version of Stopping Power is dead easy to get. The Pro upgrade makes every bullet more damaging against vehicles.

Steady Aim: When hip firing, your bullet placement all depends on the size of the crosshairs. If they're huge, you're gonna have difficulty hitting anything. Steady Aim makes them a lot smaller. The Pro version of Stopping Power is also easy to get. The Pro upgrade is a longer hold breath, and that is very useful for a sniper.

Sleight of Hand: A very commonly encountered Perk One. Sleight of Hand halves the reload time of your gun, and that can be very useful. The Pro version again, is easy to get, and lets you look down your sights much, much faster.

Scavenger: If you're using a weapon with a small amount of ammo, I highly recommend Scavenger. Whenever you kill someone, they drop a blue bag. Grab it and you will get a resupply of ammo. Pro version is easy to get, again. The Pro upgrade gives you more ammo to begin with.

Marathon: Infinite sprint. This is an awesome perk to use if you keep moving. If you can outrun the other guy, you can get ready to ambush him. The Pro version is easy to get, but it's time consuming. The Pro upgrade allows you to climb obstacles faster.

That is just a small pick of the content available to you. I can only recommend so much. It's up to you to try everything and see how you like it. The most important thing to remember is to not get frustrated. If you're angry you'll play worse, and you'll get angrier from that. Just take it as it comes to you, is my advice. Good luck, have fun, and maybe I'll see you on the battlefield!
    Lolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Lolo

Once you unlock it at 48, many many many players use the ACR.  It has absolutely no recoil whatsoever and a pretty large clip.  It's a little on the weak side, but with Stopping Power it's not bad.  It works great with the ACOG, unlike many assault rifles.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

m16, don't use the duel shotguns, we'll all hate you for that.

Lolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lolo

Also, when using an assault rifle, try to pick one with iron sights you can easily use.  That allows you to use FMJ or a Grenade Launcher rather than using your attachment slot on a sight.  

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGodPoet

Weapons 

Vector- A very good gun with less recoil than the other submachine guns. It has the highest fire rate and kills enemies quickly. Good thing about this gun is that u don't need Stopping Power due to the high fire rate. The down side is u will run out of ammo a lot.  

ACR-This is like the M4 but much better. Don't really need stopping power with this either. It has no recoil at all so u can gun down people from across the map. Great for stealth classes. 

UMP45-I used to hate the UMP due to the horrible recoil but now I like it. For me the only way to use this gun is with Marathon and Lightweight. Just rush your enemies and spray and pray. 

Spas 12-This gun has good range on it and it's powerful. The only downside is the pump action so make that 1 shot count.  

FAL- This gun is great. You have some room with your 2nd perk slot as the FAL kills in the same amount of shots with or without stopping power. U don't really have to be accurate with it but it is single shot so spraying and praying won't work here. Little recoil and it can take out far away targets. 

Intervention-Now from what I've read the Barret is a much better gun due to semi........actually it's only a tad bit better. The Intervention gives you a much better feel when you shoot. The only real downsides to the Intervention are that it's Bolt-Action, when your out of breath the reticule jumps all over the place, and that....well that's it. 

TAR-21- I prefer the TAR to the Scar due to bigger magazine and higher fire rate. I always seem to run out of ammo when using the Scar. 

M93 Rafficka- When you unlock this pistol you will love it. It's basically a MI6 or FAMAS in pistol form. They are highly accurate even when akimbo and kill pretty damn fast. 

Perks

Stopping Power- The perk everyone uses. It's a useful perk that increases the damage of your bullets. Very useful when in a  firefight. 

Sleight of Hand- Decreases reload time. Very useful. You'll still have a chance to kill the enemy even if they catch you reloading. You'll love the pro version since that decreases the ADS or Aim Down Sight time. Useful when in a firefight. 

Marathon-If you ever want to knife or are just tired of moving slow this is your perk. Unlimited sprint. Can be used for knifing people or running around with a shotgun. 

Cold Blooded- This perk will be useful. That fucker with the thermal scope call in a UAV, Harrier, AC-130, or Chopper Gunner? Your probably fucked but u can take them out without much worry using Cold Blooded. Your invisible to those killstreaks and thermal vision. U WILL WANT THE PRO VERSION OF THIS. When a enemy looks at you your name won't appear. U might be wondering how is that useful well say your playing domination and a enemy is looking at you. If you constantly switch ur weapon you look dead and they go away. Easy way to get the pro version is to shoot at a destroyed helicopter spinning out of control.

Hardline- This perk makes killstreaks cost 1 less kill. Useful it seems like you always need that 1 kill. The pro version is okay I guess. It makes deathstreaks cost 1 less death. 

Steady Aim-To me there aren't many useful Slot 3 perks so why not go with Steady Aim. It makes your hip firing reticule smaller and the pro version gives u a longer hold breath duration. U might wanna use that with that Intervention I was telling you about. 
    Lolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lolo

Steady Aim is nice for sniping, but you should never be hip firing.  Ninja is underrated in my opinion.  It completely negates heartbeat sensors, and the pro version makes your movement totally silent.  Very nice for taking out snipers.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @Lolo said:
    " Steady Aim is nice for sniping, but you should never be hip firing.  Ninja is underrated in my opinion.  It completely negates heartbeat sensors, and the pro version makes your movement totally silent.  Very nice for taking out snipers. "
    I use to love ninja but hate it now due to the pro version of it. Why? Well whenever I die it's usually because someone rushes me and I can't hear them. They never have on ninja and their footsteps are so quiet. Negating heartbeat sensors is nice but I can usually kill them when they come after me so yeah.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay away from scrambler. Unless you know how to manuever like spider man and dodge bullets like Neo that perk is absolutely worthless.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Qorious

Scar-H  + Scavenger + Stopping Power + Commando FTW!!!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Commando!!!!!!!!!!

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Tuggah

I really like the M4A1 but I love the M4 as a gun. I suggest you play with all the weapons and get most the unlocks (I usually exclude the FMJ and Extended Mags) with the first leveling experience, then rock shit in your second one with your prefered guns.

JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JaxDaxter

After playing for what is probably too long a time i'm now around level 42. My current set up is that level 40 gun m1a64 something, with Stopping Power Pro, Ninja Pro and Sleight Of Hand Pro. 

Thanks for all the help. 

dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dropbearGSH

If you are going to use marathon and run around with a shotgun or smg, I highly recommend using lightweight as well: at pro it lets you go from sprint to aiming faster.  It's a great set up for sabotage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.