Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Would you pay for Online Multiplayer?

• 100 results
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By leebmx

Just noticed this  http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106732p1.html and can't say i'm suprised - I don't really play this game online much (if at all) but where this area of gaming is heading interests me. For the regular players out there, who would play a monthly sub to play MW2 online and would you expect anything additions for you fee? Would anyone stop playing altogether if Activision found a way for charging for multiplayer?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

No

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By newt

Why would I start paying for a service that doesn't cost them anything?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

0$

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By webby

No. I would if they paid me though :P

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

No.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Ugh... wow. Call of Duty 4 is my longest played PS3 game, (I think...) and MW2 is my longest played Xbox 360 game (I think at least... for now... I play it a lot, that's the point.) I don't know what I'd play without them! But still no, because I'd be able to by NEW games to play instead of paying a subscription.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

No, thats idiotic.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RankRabbit

Michael Patcher can eat a turd sandvich and I will just stick to my single player and multiplayer on steam if anus faces decided to start charging.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By zyn

No.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bicycleham

I barely wanted to play for the game.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By leebmx

See this is what you hear all over the internet when there is an article on this topic or it is discussed generally but you figure if people who have been quite succesful in the past at making money are going to try something of this nature it will probably work.  
     I suppose the sort of people who will pay for MW2 online either have their internet paid for by their parents or are too stupid or uninterested to offer any comments or debate.    

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

Yearly subscription to Xbox Live / PSN - $50 

Monthly Subscription to Modern Warfare 3 - $15 

Map Packs - $15 

Seeing the look on your face after you still get your ass kicked by hackers - Priceless 

Use Mastercard to pay for your subscriptions and win a trip to Bobby Koticks house so he can laugh in your face.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By tranquilchaos

I don't want to play it for free...

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By TheDoubleJ

no way it's not that good
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By leebmx

Maybe if I went to Gamespot and asked the same question i'd get some positive answers. Its not that I want Activision to succeed, on the contrary I would like them to crash and burn on this one. However, 'ol Bobby isn't where he is cos he can't spot a money-earner and as much as want  his customers to depart disgusted at his overbearing greed I think there must be some people who will pony up to continue getting sworn at by 12 year olds online - BUT WHO ARE THEY???

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aetos

Nope.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TotalEklypse

i got world at war and mw2 free.  i still wouldnt pay for that garbage online

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous
    @newt said:

" Why would I start paying for a service that doesn't cost them anything? "

/thread

Also, the only thing I can think of when I think of Michael Pachter is "Nobody has a PC faster than the PS3."
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Warfare

Nope.

Stupot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stupot

Well i do enjoy lining Activisions pockets with money.....

But seriously no, unless they supported it like any other MMO, with regular content and fixing the game when aspects are clearly broken....danger close - one man army noob tubes.
    If it was paying for their current MW2 service of not giving a shit about it then i would just move to halo reach.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Laharl

Having to pay 65 bucks for a brand new game along with the 15 bucks for dlc is too much as is, let alone this crap. Activision really is the Apple of video games, they are greedy bastards that just want your money and they dont care if you know it, cause a shit ton of people buy their product anyway, regardless of whether its broken or not.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By time allen

charging for a game you've already bought is such a shit system that has already been proven to work. i wouldn't be surprised if activision tried to usher it in, but i would never opt for it. you've already paid for the product, so being allowed to play every aspect of that product without an extra charge on top of that is a right, not a privilege.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I really like how half the internet seems to exist in an alternate universe where Modern Warfare 2 isn't one of the best online shooters out there.  Charging a subscription for the existing game or something similar is a rip-off, but that's not an indication of the quality of the game.  It's just that there aren't much in the way of server-side costs for them to justify it, unless they are planning on really going nuts with adding crazy awesome features.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RobotHamster

No

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360

NO FUCK NO.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nail1080

Nope I'd just play other xbox live games that do not require a subscription, Battlefield, Gears, Halo, FIFA etc... I could easily go withut cod especially now that there is no more IW to make groundbreaking games in the series...

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andorski

There are way too many other online shooters that I can play for me to pay for MW online multiplayer.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane

Michael Pacther is an idiot.  He is always wrong with his predictions.  I have no idea why people still listen to his thoughts on the video game industry.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pweidman

No in short, to the topic.  

But what I find mostly disingenuous about Pachter's take on the industry is that online gaming is stealing new title purchases.  First, the economy is bad and the videogame industry is suffering like any other segment.  Secondly, Activision wants to make virtually pure profit from their mp fans, not support new titles( to wit:Singularities lack of any serious promo support).  And how much did Activision make off the 10 million plus copies of MW2 they sold?  And how much from the hundreds of thousands of map pack dlc?  And how much did MS pay them for map pack temp exclusivity?  How about generate earnings(literally,lol)the old fashioned way: make and support good new ips???  Activision, with Kotick's shortsighted leadership, are apparently not about that, but milking the yearly stuff and the loyal customers they already have.  It will lead their demise or restructure, despite any desperate investment in Bungie of late.

This whole issue stirred up by Pachter, upon Kotick's complaints of not getting any of the pie that MS gets from XBL subscriptions, is about squeezing the consumer and maximizing profits.  Not about the poor videogame publishing powers that be, feeling it from lousy new title sales.  The whole thing also wreaks of insider business.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Laharl said:
    " Having to pay 65 bucks for a brand new game along with the 15 bucks for dlc is too much as is, let alone this crap. Activision really is the Apple of video games, they are greedy bastards that just want your money and they dont care if you know it, cause a shit ton of people buy their product anyway, regardless of whether its broken or not. "
    Aw. Somebody wishes they could afford a Mac. Maybe one day...
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust

If they include 5 new maps every month, I think Activision could sell the idea, but that's the only way it would work.  And can you imagine the quality of these new maps cranked out month after month?  Yeah, I personally will pass on paying extra for online multiplayer.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ColMirage

The only game I've payed for, and would ever pay for, has to be PlanetSide related. Needs to offer me something I like that can't get anywhere else.

Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blur_Fan

I actually just wrote a short article on the subject that points out the upsides and downsides to this whole idea. 

Shameless plug: You can read about it here

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ryax

there wont be a single yes. and if there is they are trolling. so no

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Laharl
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Laharl said:
    " Having to pay 65 bucks for a brand new game along with the 15 bucks for dlc is too much as is, let alone this crap. Activision really is the Apple of video games, they are greedy bastards that just want your money and they dont care if you know it, cause a shit ton of people buy their product anyway, regardless of whether its broken or not. "
    Aw. Somebody wishes they could afford a Mac. Maybe one day... "
    Actually no, no i dont.
     Have fun with your brand new faulty iphone by the way, so nice of Steve Jobs to sell the fix for it on launch day for 30 bucks.

This is gonna turn into a mac vs pc battle isnt it?
    JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By JessicaBoo

You loosing money because every other year is the same freaking game coming out. And you simply dont understand that, people get bored of Call of Duty every year. Battlefield BC  is way better!!!!  Even then i wouldn't pay for it.

1.- Xbox already charges you 40 pounds a year for Xbox Live Gold, for that reason alone big N O ! 

2.- Why? Why? You pay for clothes for avatars, for gamerpictures, for themes, for arcade games, game add-ons, for holding your controller, for buying the game, for having a poop while playing the game. Other games do perfectly fine without the charge.... why start this??? oh i want to become EVEN filthier rich. What is in it for us? The lag will remain the same, the kiddos online will be the same annoying little kiddos...  People in your team will still be able to kill you for no reason what so ever.

Is like when PS3 announced, hey we give you this for free, but if you want this this this this and that you have to pay $$$$$$$ for it.... Really?  

Rant over :)  

I do not pay for online multiplayer, because i already paid for the game :)

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sadisticham

I don't get why there under the impression they should get money. I payed what you asked for the product and then some for map packs.

...Ok so i personally didn't because i think there asking to much already. But everybody else did. You can't add a monthly charge on top when it's costing you nothing anyway.

..Oh wait it's call of duty. Yeah sure do it everyone will accept it anyway. 

The thing i see is them releasing content monthly for a monthly fee. Problem is there games come out yearly..so all the content i buy is useless come next year when support stops and they move onto the next game. Whats the point?

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blueman

I would, probably for the 6 months after release that i would play Modern Warfare 3.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Laharl said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Laharl said:
    Actually no, no i dont.  Have fun with your brand new faulty iphone by the way, so nice of Steve Jobs to sell the fix for it on launch day for 30 bucks.    This is gonna turn into a mac vs pc battle isnt it? "
    You mean the faulty iPhone you secretly desire ;)
    Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Laharl
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Laharl said:
    " @Laharl said:
    Actually no, no i dont.  Have fun with your brand new faulty iphone by the way, so nice of Steve Jobs to sell the fix for it on launch day for 30 bucks.    This is gonna turn into a mac vs pc battle isnt it? "
    You mean the faulty iPhone you secretly desire ;) "
    Man you advertisers are stooping low these days :P
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Laharl said:
    " @Laharl said:
    " @Laharl said:
    You mean the faulty iPhone you secretly desire ;) "
    Man you advertisers are stooping low these days :P "
    I have no idea what you are talking about

No Caption Provided
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Karl_Boss

Hell no

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrKlorox

no subscription. however i would buy the multiplayer separately from the singleplayer if I had the chance for AAA shooters.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bones8677

For Call of Duty? Hell no.

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HODGEY3000

NEVER
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By blair
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " No "
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Burns098356GX

I'd love to see them try to charge for this.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Not if it's just plain old Call of Duty, no.  If they make it more like an MMO (which they would have to do) and update it every week or month with new weapons, maps, perks, game types and kill streaks, sure, I'd think about it. 

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Joshakazam

It's called $100 a year for Xbox live gold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.