Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monkey Island

Franchise »

Monkey Island is a series of classic adventure games that follow Guybrush Threepwood in his attempts to become the mightiest pirate in the Caribbean.

Yarr, what be ye favourite Monkey Island game?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Yar, Ahoy me hearties! What be ye favourite Monkey Island games? Which would you swashbucklin pirates spend all your pieces o' eight, and all ye booty on? Have some grog and chat it up with ya mateys. To all he who want a "none" option - BE GONE HA SCURVY DOGS, BEFORE I LOCK YA IN DAVEY JONES LOCKER AND MAKE YE WALK THE PLANK.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The original is still a very special game, but I think Telltales Work on the Tales game went above and beyond what anyone could have expected.

Curse is really good too, a lot of the charm there comes from the hand drawn art style, something I doubt we'll see again for a very long time. Plus it has the greatest sequence in videogame history:

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SamStrife

Monkey Island 4 is the worst in the series but still pretty good.

Telltale did a far better job than you could have ever expected.

The original is obviously a very special game.

Curse was pretty darn fantastic and I can see that winning the poll handily.

Monkey Island 2 however is pretty much the perfect old school point and click adventure game. It blends everything together so perfectly, with great puzzles and a fantastic story with amazing characters and a fantastic sense of humor.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

On a side note, they should totally put 3 and 4 out in Steam.

arjybarjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By arjybarjy

Arr, I be votin' fer Curse of Monkey Island as that be the first one I played on me own and holds a dear place in me 'art. I be stoppin speakin pirate now before I turn west country ooo-arr... too late.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GiroMindTricks

Monkey 2 is by far my favourite. Bought it for the Amiga with some money I got for xmas. It came on 11 discs! Plus the first thing they tell you to do is copy the discs and use the copies. Like eleven year old me had 11 spare discs! I've since bought it again on PC and the Special Edition on PC and 360. Still play through it every couple of months.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By damodar

So hard to pick! Revenge Of LeChuck might be the best in terms of the writing etc, but I voted for Curse. Easily some of my favourite art direction ever in a game. It's just so, so good and it has the fondest place in my heart of them all.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

The Secret of Monkey Island, because it's the only one I've touched.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SamStrife

@Video_Game_King said:

The Secret of Monkey Island, because it's the only one I've touched.

And you call yourself the King. PAH!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By BBAlpert

1 and 2 are classics, but I've got to go with my heart on this one and pick 3. It's real good.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maajin

When I was younger my favorite was Curse, mostly for the awesome graphics, animation and voice acting. Recently though, I've started to really appreciate the weirdness and dark humor of LeChuck's Revenge.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meltac

Wow, that's actually a pretty hard answer.. I'll just play through them, and then I'll come back to this thread.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Only played one, dunno which, for 5 minutes, then got fed up of the clickity clicking and uninstalled it.. Please dont make me walk the plank

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By g6065

Curse is an absolute masterpiece.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sodacat

My vote will always be for LeChuck's Revenge. It has the most amazing art, the best music design of any game ever (No one has even attempted to match the iMuse integration that MI2 has), and a wonderful narrative. The wanted poster on Phatt island is still one of the most subversive video game elements that I wish other developers would copy. Curse has a few bright spots, but it's still where Elaine underwent her complete character derailment, and for that I can never look upon it favorably.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I have a lot of love for all the Monkey Islands (except Escape from Monkey Island) so this is really hard.

I might have to go with Curse because of the "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be" song.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Cincaid

One is a classic, but I have more fond memories of two. Me and my friends played it on my friend's Amiga, but there was no save function, so we had to restart the game every time his mom told us to do something else.

Moms can be so mean. :(

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

The first one because of nostalgia. That's the only one I played as a kid and I played it on the Sega-CD. The Sega-CD!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The only one I've actually played is Escape from Monkey Island. It fell into a lot of the traps old point-and-click adventure games usually do, but there was something quite charming about it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @JeanLuc

I have a lot of love for all the Monkey Islands (except Escape from Monkey Island) so this is really hard.

What is exactly bad about Escape from Monkey Island? I'm going through all the games right now (finished the original for the second time and am halfway through my first play through of the Revenge of LeChuck) so I'm curious as to what flaws it has.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaggE

Curse is by far my favorite of the original four, and Tales of Monkey Island is right alongside it.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamStrife

@NekuSakuraba: It retcons a load of story, has poor controls, and has maybe the worst closing act of any game ever.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Maajin

@NekuSakuraba said:

@JeanLuc

What is exactly bad about Escape from Monkey Island? I'm going through all the games right now (finished the original for the second time and am halfway through my first play through of the Revenge of LeChuck) so I'm curious as to what flaws it has.

It's mostly fine. It goes a little heavy handed on the anachronistic jokes and controling Guybrush on the keyboard is not ideal, but the game has a bunch of really cool moments, and it's pretty awesome to revisit characters and locations from the first game.

It does have a pretty awful part though: Monkey Kombat. Fucking Monkey Kombat.

No Caption Provided
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

It's kinda crazy, but I think I have to go with Tales. Telltale could have played it safe, but they took some risks with the story and actually triggered some genuine emotions. And I feel like it's the only Monkey Island game that didn't stumble a bit at the end.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mysterysheep

Revenge remains my favourite. I'm still incredibly disappointed that the series has continued to ignore that games ending. Though the likelihood of Gilbert's MI3 seems nonexistent.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spacetrogg

Escape will always be my favourite (mostly due to nostalgia tinted glasses as it was my first) but even I admit that it was a tad clunkier than the first three. Puzzles seemed less polished overall, like stopping the fiery sushi boat at the EXACT moment was an exercise in frustration, as was the seemingly random customer reference machine in the prosthetic shop. I remember the jokes amusing my 10-12 year old self and I still chuckle at a couple but the rapier wit of the first three had undoubtedly been blunted somewhat by this game.

Despite the problems I still love the game most of all and feel its well worth playing through!

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@Mysterysheep said:

Revenge remains my favourite. I'm still incredibly disappointed that the series has continued to ignore that games ending. Though the likelihood of Gilbert's MI3 seems nonexistent.

Yeah, only played through MI2 when the remake came out (I played them in the order 4,3,1,2,Tales). Based on ME3, that was NOT the ending I expected. Though I don't know how you'd do a proper follow-up.

Anyway, Curse is my favourite. I love the artstyle and the jokes. And Murray is amazing.

I didn't care much for Tales. Episode 3 was amazing, but the rest where kind of "meh". The story was really cool though.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptBedlam

@SamStrife said:

@NekuSakuraba: It retcons a load of story, has poor controls, and has maybe the worst closing act of any game ever.

Plus, the 3D graphics are pretty terrible. Big part of why it isn't even nearly as charming as MI 1-3.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrcraggle

@NekuSakuraba: Everything about Escape is an absolute dog pile of shit. It felt very forced in a lot of cases. They knew that the sword fighting segments from the previous games were very well received especially in 3 but they put their own twist on it towards the end of the game and it just ruined any and all pace. It wasn't funny and it was just boring trying to remember patterns rather than well written, funny dialogue. They also brought back Murray for the sake that he was a funny character but they do almost next to nothing with him. Another major downside to playing it at the time was that it was one of the first games that required a dedicated graphics card. The problem with that was it came out 2 years after Grim Fandango which didn't need one and Escaped looked worst. The MI series is one of my favourite game series and it holds up a lot better without. One of the defining aspects of the series is its humour and Escape really fails pretty hard. It tries to hard to go back on the previous games with references and winks and nods rather than stand up as its own game like MI3 did which would be the more likely candidate to be a lazy sequel but they came out and just nailed it with the voice acting, art direction, music, writing and introduced a bunch of new characters who were fantastic.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#31  Edited By bobafettjm

I think I would have to go with Curse, but LeChuck's Revenge was a close second. I love all these games to death, even Escape. I actually found Escape more fun playing the PS2 version than the PC version.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@NekuSakuraba said:

@JeanLuc

Sorry I should have clarified. I've never played Escape from Monkey Island, so I have no past love for it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @mrcraggle@SamStrife@Maajin@CptBedlam Disappointed to hear that about Escape, I didn't know it was so.... mediocre compared to the others. I guess it's better to know now, because otherwise my expectations would be too high, thinking it was just as good as the others.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.