Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

MOORTAAL KOOOMBAAAT! I got it, any questions?

• 69 results
    Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

So, against all reason and sense, I managed to get my paws on the Special Edition of MKX early this morning.

Said edition includes the "kollective kold-war" scorpion skin, which becomes considerably more enjoyable once you don't have to type it out anymore. I'm unsure whether it features it's own Fatality as some of the skins in the past have. I'll update if that is in fact the case. It also features Goro. Someone cares about that, I'm sure.

The Special Edition features a very nice steelbook case, and they aren't kidding around when they claim it's 3D embossed. It's startlingly prolific. Beneath is the entire pack of content.

No Caption Provided

Now, I am not in a position where I need to observe an embargo, (life decisions without consequences, wohoo!) And so I can hopefully answer any potential questions you guys and girls have.

It seems online is only partially implemented at this point, so you can't join any rooms, but quick-searching for games does seem to work. When you first boot up the game, they prompt you to join a faction after showing a tutorial video featuring some of the unique faction-based fatalities, and they tease "invasion bosses". I've also not been able to redeem Goro as of yet (there's a bad joke to be made here), though I am able to use the new scorpion skin.

As a whole, my impression of the game is very, very positive so far. It plays really damn well, maintaining a high frame rate and the animations feel smooth in a way that's quite unlike previous MK games.

By now, there are official videos online show-casing the first 30 minutes of the story, as well as twitch users who have streamed the entire damn thing and then some, so if you guys are interested in details of said story, you have yourself a platform to find them. All I'll say about it is that I'm genuinely enjoying the damn thing. It's dumb in that lovably way you'd expect, but considerably larger in scope than I'd anticipated, spending more time on the characters and dialogue rather than just ushering you from one fight into the next.

I've spent quite a lot of time with MK9 and Injustice, so take this with a grain of salt, but so far, I've found it a bit easier to string combos together than it was in the previous games. That said, there does seem to be more of a damage reduction than in MK9, so I doubt we'll see any 56 % combos a la Cyrax. Now, perhaps I've just gotten better at this type of game, or the windows might be a little bit more forgiving. The greatly improved practice mode, which might be the best I've ever seen in a fighting game, goes a long way to help either way.

I'll also go out of my way to say that the new characters feel unique. They play differently, and they have their own identity. It's obvious Netherrealm has put a lot of time into this next generation of characters, and I'm getting to the point where I really want to experiment with each and every one of them. My one concern with this game had been that it'd simply be more of MK9, but that isn't the case between the variations, the greatly improved story mode and the terrific new kharacters.

If you guys have any more specific questions, feel free to toss 'em my way.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

@do_the_manta_ray: I was having the same problem trying to post your original images. Saving your images to my desktop and then taking screenshots of them seemed to do the trick.

edit...and now the stock image you put in there has disappeared, as well as the other two of yours I had edited in. Hm.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Who is your favorite new character so far?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Do you think people will just favour a particular variation of each character, or will people choose different variations depending on the matchup (sort of like how SF4 lets you pick different ultras and some are better against certain characters than others)?

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By theacidskull

How long is the story?

How are the variations working out?

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@mb: Oh, I didn't realize you had edited them in. My bad, I deleted them to maintain some consistency as I didn't want only a couple of my shots in there. Thanks for the help, though.

@theacidskull: I haven't finished the story yet, so I can't say. My impression right now is that it's fairly lengthy as the few chapters I've done have been considerably longer than in the previous games.

@bisonhero: I think that will very much be a case of differing levels of player skill. Less experienced players will likely settle for a single variation at first, and then branch out past that once they improve. The variations do seem to be very well implemented, giving each character a chance against another even if the kharacter match-up isn't favourable. I've been doing some very hard bot matches (the AI in this is considerably meaner than MK9), and found that switching up the variations did a lot for my odds against different foes. There's a lot of depth there, as well, with some variations forcing you to play very differently, both in terms of the kind of attacks you can utilize, and the safe distance to do so from.

@i_stay_puft: So far, Erron Black. He's a mix-up/zoner combination, which isn't something you tend to see a lot. He's able to deal a lot of damage from a safe range, and has multiple attacks that punish enemies for trying to get in too close, and allow him to put some distance between them. Or he can close the gap himself, and juggle like few others. Also, his X-Ray is the best thing ever.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@do_the_manta_ray: Awesome! How is Kotal Khan? Or have you reached his chapter yet?
    The reason I ask is because he is one of the more well-developed characters in the MKX comic book so I am wondering if that carries over to the game.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the challenge tower from MK9 make a return in this one? I really liked that mode a lot.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Is the krypt of secrets as extensive? That's assuming there is one.

And how many battles for a single arcade mode? Just in case I decide to unlock every ending again

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Kotal Kahn gets his chapter fairly early on, and yeah, absolutely. He isn't just an interesting character in his own right, but his position as Emperor puts him in some really cool scenarios. They do a lot with him, and it extends beyond his own chapter. I also want to point out that Netherrealm's done great job with the facial expressions and the body language in this game. I find myself warming to people I'd genuinely disliked previously, such as Kano.

@hippie_genocide: You betcha it does. This time they've got traditional towers as the ones you know, and "living" towers which they're going to continue to add to over the months past the game's release. There's also "tower challenges" that allow you to challenge your friends to randomly generated towers, see who manages what.

@csl316: The krypt is fucking crazy. You walk around a-la Grimrock, and you have a map and a god damn inventory. I actually don't think that there is a traditional arcade more this time around, it looks to have been replaced by a tower that's similar in make-up. Not sure if there are endings for each character once you finish 'em, though with the way they present them, I'd almost think there has to be.

@l1ghtn1n: Cooking with Scorpion was incredible. I haven't gotten too deep into the krypt yet, but it is extensive and weird in it's own right as I mentioned to the user above. I bet there'll be some crazy stuff in there. Brutalities are triggered by ending matches with different special abilities under different circumstances. They're basically meant to be secrets that you either unlock in the crypt, or find out for yourself. I've found a couple, but this ain't the place to spoil 'em, I don't think.
    Right now, the chat servers are down for the online, so I can't access much of it. Thus, I'm unable to tell you just how much there is to it. You do get all the traditional options for rooms, modes, quick-search and ranked play, and they've made it very easy to challenge a friend of yours, or to invite someone to a practice session. There's also the faction war to be considered. I do believe there is tournament modes in there, but I've yet to see any clan support.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds like a new version of mk9

consider me stoked

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@csl316: The krypt is fucking crazy. You walk around a-la Grimrock, and you have a map and a god damn inventory.

Oh lawd. I hope the krypt monster doesn't make a return. I HATED that guy. That's mostly because I'm a wuss when it comes to jump scares. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game so far!

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Does the game seem like it would be enjoyable to someone who has barely played any fighting games? I love the art style and characters, and would really love to play the story mode but is there enough there for someone like me?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MakoTitan

@do_the_manta_ray: My only question is what did they NOT tell us. What's the most hidden thing they didn't say in a stream that people would find appealing, be it a fatality or something else. Btw, put a spoiler block on it for people who don't want to see it. :)

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@vegetashonor:

SECRET KHARACTERS! Rain is in it, and I've heard, but cannot yet confirm that Smoke, Kabal, Cyrax and Stryker are as well. And by that, I mean as playable, not just in cutscenes or what have you.

@j_unit2008: Hah! I'm a horror game enthusiast, and that thing's nearly made me jump out of my chair a few times, just so damn unexpected. Ain't seen him yet, but you know what? I fucking bet he is in there, and worse.

@shortbreadtom: I would say yes, but that'll come down to whether you think you might warm to the genre. The story mode seems lengthy and flexible as you can play it with different difficulty settings, and there is a ton of really crazy optional challenges to be done in the towers that I think anyone could appreciate, fighting game enthusiast or no. The entire thing is a spectacle, be it the story mode or just a versus match, making it fun to watch. The game also sports a terrific tutorial and what I think might be the best practice mode in any fighting game I've seen, period. There's also online rooms specific for newcomers, letting you match up against people who are in the same place as you. The thing is, no matter how you twist it, it is a fighting game. Not having played a lot of 'em won't be a problem at all, but not enjoying them will be. If that's the case I'd say wait for a sale or a price-drop.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only the one question: Have you noticed the glaring eyebeams of jealousy that I've been aiming at you since I saw this thread? *glares with jealousy*

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice had the option to do a single match against an AI opponent. Does that feature return in Mortal Kombat X?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegetashonor:

SECRET KHARACTERS! Rain is in it, and I've heard, but cannot yet confirm that Smoke, Kabal, Cyrax and Stryker are as well. And by that, I mean as playable, not just in cutscenes or what have you.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By matatat

This will be, more or less, the first Mortal Kombat that I will play. I played a bit of MK2 on the SNES back in the day but I never really had much interest in it. This has pretty much persisted up until and through my adult life. This one for some reason is the one that caught my interest. I think part of it is Jeff's seemingly revived interest from what he's seen so far.

I'm wondering if I'll like it at all. So naturally I bought the ultimate edition.

Actually part of it also was I'd never played a NetherRealm game then I played Injustice and enjoyed it decently.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolare said:

@do_the_manta_ray said:

@vegetashonor:

WAIT WAIT WAIT. YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT?

Spoiler Question:

Is Rain actually playable? As far as I've seen online, you fight him throughout the course of the story mode, but his attacks are simply copied-and-pasted from his MK9 moveset, and he doesn't have any actual variations. Like the other characters.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Undeadpool

@do_the_manta_ray: Is the Krypt "jump-scare" still in effect if you leave the screen idling there?

Edit: Nevermind! I see it's been asked and answered. I'll go back to ALSO directing intense beams of jealousy at you.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MakoTitan

@do_the_manta_ray: Whoah! No way! So what gives you the indication that it's an actual thing and not a rumor?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@l1ghtn1n: @vegetashonor: @historyinrust: @xolare: Alright, first of all, let me clarify something in regards to that secret. Spoiler blocks as follows.

I haven't unlocked Rain as a playable kharacter (I can't stop typing that with a K, send help), but have only fought against him inside of the story mode. In there, he had a similar, but not identical moveset to his MK9 variant. I played a lot of him back then, and the shit he was pulling was not the same. A while back, there was a leak from an "inside source" that show-cased alternate costumes for Rain, and Smoke both, for which there isn't a reason in the story itself, thus making me believe that they will both be playable. It's also worth noting that Rain's effects were fucking gorgeous and not just reusing old materials, adding to that theory. Finally, Boon has been teasing some, as Boon does. As for Cabal, Cyrax and Stryker, some folks have been digging in the files for the game and come up with indicators that their signature moves are in it. Smoke bomb, smoke teleport, etc.

So ultimately, this can mean one of three things. A, you'll just fight 'em in the story or the towers, and really piss over some fans. B, they'll be available in a limited format for now, and then made available later on via DLC or some such (the most likely option in my opinion). C, they're in the damn Krypt as secret kharacters. (Wouldn't surprise me if they were.)

@shagge:@undeadpool: I thought those were just Kano's eyelasers. See, that's what I get for playing the game so damn much!

@historyinrust: Yes, you can single match against the AI.

@freezyfrog: Another user was asking that a bit earlier, you can find my full response in my previous post in this thread. To summarize it for you, very. But boy, there is also more depth in this game than any other in the series, that's for sure.

cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

when does the embargo lift?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will I get it?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam

Is this a pimple or a boil?

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it good?

Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the story campaign changes from one character to the next (I'm assuming it works like MK9 here), do you get a chance to practice with the new character or are you just thrown into it like in MK9?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@csl316: The krypt is fucking crazy. You walk around a-la Grimrock, and you have a map and a god damn inventory. I actually don't think that there is a traditional arcade more this time around, it looks to have been replaced by a tower that's similar in make-up. Not sure if there are endings for each character once you finish 'em, though with the way they present them, I'd almost think there has to be.

That is a game changer!

So awesome to hear this game has way more cool stuff than expected

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@l1ghtn1n:

You may very well be right about the Test Your Luck/Kustom Kombat argument, I could really see that. As for the alternate costumes, however, I'm referring to ones that aren't show-cased in the story from what I've heard, which is what leads me to believe that at least Rain and Smoke will in fact be playable. We'll see how it plays out, though.

@ripelivejam: It's a mole, don't play with that. God, don't you know your own body?

@mikew1980uk: Veeeery good so far. Loving every moment. Just so much more depth to it than I'd anticipated going in from MK9, which is a game I played to death.

@lemonhead: Unfortunately, they throw you right in. It's probably my only complaint with the game so far. The pause screen does have a "essential move-list" component to it, though, so you don't necessarily need to start digging in the move-lists proper for all the combos if you're playing on lower difficulties.

@slag: They just went all out. I feel like there's a surprise around every corner, and I'm barely scratching the surface here.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Is the classic MK theme somewhere in the game?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Scorpion or Sub Zero?

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Super jealous!

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who did you play in previous NR games and so far who are you enjoying playing as the most in this one (+favourite variation/s)?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@do_the_manta_ray: Hold on, isn't that sticker designed for an Xbox One controller despite you having a PS4 copy of the game?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Once online opens up I'd love to hear how the latency turns out. Injustice's latency wasn't all too great..

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Holy crap, good eye. And then he never responded...huh...Damn good catch!

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@vegetashonor: What could it mean? How high up does this go? .. Get out while you can. @isomeri: I hadn't even noticed it myself, mainly because I didn't give a rat's ass about the sticker, but now I feel kinda' bummed out. That's entitlement for you. Seriously, though, good eye. Worth noting that the sticker came outside of the box, so probably just a packaging mishap.

@geraltitude: Not that I've seen so far, but I'd be REALLY surprised if it wasn't.

@arbitrarywater: Scorpion as a kharacter in the lore, Sub-Zero as an actual playable son of a gun.

@overnow: I've always tried to main a number of characters, for match-up purposes as well as because folks who pick the same kharacter over and over again are as boring as it gets. In MK9, I played a LOT of Sub-Zero, Cyber Sub-Zero, Kenshi, Smoke, Noob Saibot, and to a lesser extent Reptile and Cyrax. I could also play Scorpion really well, but didn't because everyone else picked him all the time.

So far, I've gotten the most enjoyment out of playing as Sub-Zero and Erron Black, though I've been weirdly impressed with Cassie Cage, Ferra/Torr and Scorpion as well. Sub-Zero has two really great variations, Unbreakable and Grandmaster. The former lets you pressure like nobody has ever pressured before and allows you to completely shut people down. Grandmaster is more of trap-based variation that has you using your ice-clones to great effect. His final one, Cryomancer, has the best combos by far, but I ain't too crazy about the special moves yet compared to the other two. As for Erron Black, gunslinger variation all the damn way. All the damn way. His other ones are actually really interesting, too, but that variation in particular just speaks to me as it allows you to be so damn aggressive with a character that functions best from range, and so turning him into a kind of mix-up/rushdown/zoner. It's really pretty great.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: I don't really have anything to say about Mortal Kombat, but I wanted to remark on how much I enjoy your writing style!

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any sort of implication of microtransactions and the like?

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would you recommend playing with a fight stick? I got the game this morning and I'm having a bit of trouble with the tutorial, I'm doing the correct inputs but for some reason it doesn't count or then I manage to do what it wants and don't understand what I did differently.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: When you say "dumb", for the story mode, you mean that in a good way right?

another question would be have you spent any time in the krypt yet? i watched some of the leaked vids out there and it looks awesome now.

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldone: I was having those exact issues in the beginning, but once I got accustomed to the controls I was able to pull all the techniques off without a hitch. Keep playing for a couple of hours, and you'll probably get the hang of it. If not, then yeah, go for a fight stick. Or a flight stick, be as special as you can be.

@mub: I haven't seen a single trace that points towards there being anything of the like. That said, they haven't yet made available any of the DLC for the game, so it's impossible for me to be certain. I really doubt it, though.

@mrfluke: I believe my exact phrasing was lovably dumb. So yes, absolutely. The game is very self-aware, and very charming when it wants to be. That said, it also features surprisingly good character moments, so don't write it off as a one-key ordeal. I've already commented on the Krypt earlier on in this here thread, but yeah, I've been running around whenever I've accrued enough koins to do something with, exploring and generally pissing myself at the notion of the krypt monster's return. It's pretty great.

@gregorygold: As someone who styles himself as a writer, I really appreciate that. Thank you, man.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: oh never, i love the Mk storyline, so to hear that they did great is fantastic, its just when i hear people describe an aspect of a game as "dumb" it kinda throws me for a loop, because i wonder if the person means that in a good way or a bad way.

One other question, in the story mode, have you encountered or heard of Reiko or Havik yet? they are sort of Major characters in the comics so im curious if they made the jump to the proper game's story mode.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: Yeah, thought so. You write with wit, and no little warmth! Keep at it!

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: If I'm having trouble with the regular ps4 controller I think a flight stick would be a bit too advanced. I'll take it into consideration though, maybe get something to track my head movements too so it can see me jump while in the krypt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.