Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

This is not a Need for Speed game.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mikewrestler5

It's a Burnout game.

I hope that one day the series gets handed to a developer that knows how to make a proper NFS game. If I wanted a racing game with powers and what not, I'd play Blur. Free roam mode is boring and pointless. Autolog is fun for about 5 minutes. Who cares if my "friend" beat my time? I don't. Crashing should have been left in the Burnout series. Oh wait, this is that game, isn't it? As you can clearly  tell, I didn't like the game. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care.  

What do you think of this game?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I like the game, other than the rubber band A.I. that makes some races seem near impossible. But I dunno, I guess I like it because it's a Burnout game, and I don't like Need For Speed games. 

My two favorite Need for Speed games are this one and Shift. Which are nothing at all like the previous Need for Speed games. Which means most of them pretty much suck.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Mikewrestler5: I loved this game with a passion. It's crazy fast and I think they made a good NFS game even though I kind of felt weird when I saw the words Takedown appear on screen
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marcsman

Then what the hell is it? 
    Churnout for Burnout?
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jozzy

I don't really care if it is NFS or not, I just care that it is my favorite racing AND my favorite multiplayer game since forever.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

I just don't see how its possible for anybody who would visit a game website to hate Burnout. I can appreciate wanting something different out of a NFS game, but dude...Burnout is fucking awesome. What exactly did you not like about it?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The style of races seemed like Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted races.  I don't see the problem.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

It's Road Rash with cars, but it's pretty rad online.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

If it were a Need for Speed game it would be shitty. If being not shitty makes it Burnout, I'll take it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @ryanwho said:
    " If it were a Need for Speed game it would be shitty. If being not shitty makes it Burnout, I'll take it. "
    Best answer ever.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamjohn

Right, because Need For Speed has never dealt in sometimes ridiculous arcade racing.  What's your next act - telling us that Hot Pursuit 2 and Most Wanted aren't Need For Speed games either. 

Also, it's a pretty different game from the last couple Burnouts.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By FreakAche

Considering Burnout games are consistently better than Need for Speed games, you seem to be giving it quite high praise.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sameeeeam

If turning it into Burnout makes it better (as I feel it did in this case), I'll be a happy customer.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ViciousReiven

No way, Burnout is horrible and this isn't.

Fishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fishstick

Oh noes.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Exactly, which is why I loved it. 
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By ApolloJ85

Agreed. The game has its merits, but its relation to the need for speed franchise is in name only. 

That's not a bad thing considering the amount of terrible games in the nfs franchise, but it was also disappointing considering it takes nothing from the few great games. It is basically burnout with licensed cars and cops. 

I hate it and love it equally.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The Need for Speed name doesn't mean anything. It never did. NFS has gone through so many different styles of gameplay. It's just a brand that EA slaps on car games to make them sell better. A lot of people associate Need For Speed with games like Underground or Hot Pursuit because they are the good NFS games in recent memory, but that franchise has gone through so many different variations, all "Need for Speed" actually means is "cars".

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By ApolloJ85
    @MattyFTM: Then perhaps the problem here is that Burnout has an identity, and so much of that is present in the current nfs title. I've never really enjoyed a burnout game, and finding elements of burnout in my only arcade racing fix was kind of a bummer. 

Need for Speed may not have had much of an identity beyond illegal street racing, but it never was a burnout game.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By animateria

It's feel is very similar to NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 aside from the car weapons (Cops still called in copters, road blocks etc in HP2). 

Which was my favorite NFS by the way. The others that came after that just aren't that great. 

The Criterion version feels like it is HP3 (although it is confusingly just called HP), it has time-trials, pursuit time-trials, regular races and pursuit races.    

I just wish they had an Autumn area that I loved from HP2 though the Snow area makes it up.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

As someone who started playing NFS with 2... this feels like an NFS game. Just not any of the shitty Underground, Undercover, Carbon junk you might be used to, it's a return to the classic NFS style. The game feels a lot like the other Hot Pursuit entries, and is very consistant with their style and feel. Even with the world map being exactly like Burnout 3's, the crashes being entirely awesome, and the addition of boost, the game is entirely an NFS game, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By blueaniman93

i like the game but that is because i love burnout and have never really liked a need for speed game 
    but i agree 
    let criterion make burnout  and let whoever makes need for speed nowadays make that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.