Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NFL Blitz

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 04, 2012

EA Tiburon's take on the NFL Blitz franchise attempts to bring back the hard-hitting, over-the-top, on-fire action of the original Midway arcade games to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

So this is almost out

wa27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wa27

I'm pumped. NFL Blitz (specifically 2000 and 2001 on the 64) is my favorite multiplayer game of all time, and one of my favorite games of any classification. That's saying a lot because those versions have... some issues. I still play NFL Blitz regularly with friends, as I have for the past ten years. I was initially skeptical of this game because the "Blitz" moniker has lost pretty much all value since they lost the NFL license. As I read and watched more stuff about it, though, it looked like they're staying surprisingly faithful to the originals. Jeff's positive reactions to playing it on a recent bombcast got me even more excited, since he's probably the only journalist out there that can react to this game as someone who's played a shitload of the original game.

My big concern is that this is getting very little attention, even compared to the new NBA Jam games. That means online multiplayer will be dead within a few weeks, which sucks because playing NFL Blitz online has been a dream since I was 12. If this game is good, I think it can find an audience of devout players. It's similar to NBA Jam in that it really shines when playing local multiplayer, but I get the feeling that people would be more inclined to play Blitz online than Jam. Hopefully the backlash from people who think that NFL Blitz is only worth playing when late hits are included won't be enough to deter people from buying this.

So, is anybody else picking this up?

malnourish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By malnourish

I'm picking it up, got both the PSN and XBLA version pre-ordered. I don't have too much Blitz experience but I played plenty of 2000 with friends, and occasionally still do.

Send me a friend request on Live around the time of release (or else I'll forget) and I'll play some Live games with you when I have the chance. My gamertag is Steak Venison

I can't wait to hear Jeff talk about it when it comes out.

XanderCrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XanderCrews

Definite buy for me. Probably on both PSN and XBLA. Me and my friends played the hell out of the old N64 version.

Avatar image for smallmanoncampus
    smallmanoncampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By smallmanoncampus

Definitely a buy for me also. Just trying to figure out if I should buy XBLA or PSN.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

I'll probably get it.

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Disengage

@malnourish said:

I'm picking it up, got both the PSN and XBLA version pre-ordered. I don't have too much Blitz experience but I played plenty of 2000 with friends, and occasionally still do.

Send me a friend request on Live around the time of release (or else I'll forget) and I'll play some Live games with you when I have the chance. My gamertag is Steak Venison

I can't wait to hear Jeff talk about it when it comes out.

How do you preorder a digital download release?

malnourish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By malnourish

@Disengage:

A friend bought it at Gamestop, and they're sending him codes via email on release day.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'll wait for it to go on sale.

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Disengage

@malnourish said:

@Disengage:

A friend bought it at Gamestop, and they're sending him codes via email on release day.

Face, meet palm.

malnourish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By malnourish

@rebgav: It's the thought that counts, right? Right?

WhyBeAre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WhyBeAre

Although his usage is illogical the idea works good if you want to gift the game to someone, I've used it once on a preorder of something and once as a random gift.

Anyhow I will definitely try out the new blitz but am still not sure if I will bother buying it, a lot in the game has changed since Blitz 2000, and even I myself have changed in this time period.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By bretthancock

Day 1, so Stoked. Played blitz 2000 for an entire summer when it came out.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By EightBitShik

I'll be picking this up on Day 1 for Xbox Live "Eight Bit Shik" I loved the hell out of the N64/Arcade version and I hope to have a lot of fun with this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.