Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Nintendo Fan Scorned

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By mrangryface

Won't work with my extended battery so I'm proll back to a few hours of gaming lol nintendo

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By MrKlorox

@csoup said:

Vita, here I come.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Blubba said:

I've lost faith in Nintendo. Everything about the 3DS has been handled poorly. The Wii was terrible for enthusiasts. Hell, man I LOVED my GameCube, but this shit is bad.

I wouldn't say they lost their way – they just gave up for our audience and decided to feed the very casual and non-gamers variety.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By prestonhedges
    Weird. I was pretty sure there was lots of talk before the 3DS launched that it would be overpriced and only bought by crazy people who want it because it's new technology, and that games would get released for it way later. I'm pretty sure Giant Bomb and Michael Pachter made those exact points during the Duke Nukem TNT and when the system was being announced. It's why I still haven't bought one.

The second complaint is pure speculation. For right now, this thing is only announced, only as an add-on for Monster Hunter, and only for Japan. It's quite possible this thing will never even come out. If Nintendo announces a hardware revision, that would be pretty fucked up, but they haven't yet. How long did it take before they revised the Wii? Three years?
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By RE_Player1

@MrKlorox said:

@csoup said:

Vita, here I come.

I really hope the Vita does well, and the 3DS as well. I want Sony to learn from Nintendo's mistakes and have a kick ass launch for the Vita so that we can finally stop the whole dedicated handhelds are dying debate. They aren't going anywhere Nintendo is just doing an extremely poor job with theirs. I love my iPad but the games on the thing aren't real games...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#156  Edited By Brendan

I get that this is a big deal, but this article seems Navarro-ish in the worst way possible. The "pissed-off user blog" style of editorial journalism could really use a large dose of impartiality on this site.

Cday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Cday

I'm furious about this totally optional thing that I never have to even acknowledge the existence of. Yep, gonna go rip all the Iwata posters off of my walls right now.

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158  Edited By ThePilgrums

@TiE23 said:

What's weird... I dislike most Japanese games. IMO: Dragon Quest is a pile of crap, Final Fantasy is goofy as hell, Mario is sorta blown out of proportion, I don't get Smash Bros., Kirby is dumb, Zelda hasn't progressed since 1998 ... I love Team Ico, though.

You're making me angry... You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

But in earnest here, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and Epic Yarn are great games. It kinda bums me out to see them called overrated or "dumb". Dumb? Not to get overly serious/critical of an "IMO" statement, but that's not exactly the fairest assessment of a franchise I've ever heard. Haha.

(But Team ICO is pretty great, I'll agree there.)

Anyway, the article. I'm not mad at Nintendo, but I can't say I get their marketing strategy for their new hardware. Between the Wii U at E3 and this, I can't help but think "what are they DOING?" They don't divulge enough information to wash away the understandable doubts that come up. We still have zero clue how many controllers the Wii U supports, how its online system will work, and now it's "do I buy a 3DS? Will it get a revision in 8 months?" I don't see what they gain by being this secretive about things that, in my opinion, should be common knowledge.

Avatar image for squidlauncherohyeahh
    squidlauncherOHYEAHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Haters get up real early in the morning. And they drink a shit load of Haterade too. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Brendan

@Whizbang said:

Nintendo is a dying company. Won't be surprised if Wii HD is their last console.

This is probably the same guy that said the PS3 was going to fail back in 2006. Seriously, companies get back up from this shit. After one of the most profitable generations ever in gaming, Nintendo isn't just going to lay down in die after making a few mistakes.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#161  Edited By Hector

I was on board the 3DS ship at launch but after two months of no good games I jumped shipped and I'm glad I did and made it to safety before it sank to the depths of the Laurentian Abyss.

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By krabboss

Honestly, I just don't see the problem. It's just an optional accessory for those who want a greater level of control on a limited number of games that desperately need it (like the fucking Wii Motion Plus). 

Monster Hunter is an incredible game series and I'm glad Nintendo have taken the steps to get it onto their platform. It's pretty much guaranteed this will make 3DS sales skyrocket in Japan. It's unfortunate the series isn't as popular in other regions, though maybe Nintendo will put a bit more marketing behind the series this time to get people okay with the idea of needing a second stick.

Sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Sinful

All I  heard from this "News" is "Blog..blog..blog...blah..blah...blog."

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By krabboss
    @YukoAsho

Well, that and the fans will stop buying if there's nothing but the name, something Nintendo fans don't do.

I don't understand. Call of Duty/Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk pretty much are/were the same game over and over. You honestly think those series have more variety within them than Nintendo's? 

I honestly don't know why I read the comments on Giant Bomb.
    jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#165  Edited By jasondesante

I'm shocked by the recent announcements, but I can't say I don't understand it.

I think it is fair and completely understandable for Nintendo to do something like this, I just pray they keep the 3d functionality because it is currently underrated, its mawfuckin glassesless 3d, and my first experience of a screen with 3d without glasses was a 3ds. 

Street Pass is also underrated.   Nintendo offers new features for people to use (like wii) and no one uses it to its potential except Nintendo (Suda 51 makes one of the best wii games and the controls are a total joke, one of the best games on the system with revolutionary controls ironically has horrible controls).

matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#166  Edited By matrix_hiei

Firstly, this things looks stupid. I don't think there's any doubt about that. 

However, I don't really see why the reaction has been so passionately negative. All we know right now is that it's an add-on for Monster Hunter, a game that few people in the U.S. will buy anyway. It seems to me like a pretty big jump to assume that a new 3DS with two sticks will be coming in the near future. Unless something like that is announced, the second stick only really affects Monster Hunter fans.

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#167  Edited By NickyDubz

when will the cd add on used to play night trap 3d be realeased?

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By arch4non

No more articles like this, please.

If I wanted sensationalized tabloid pieces I'd go to Kotaku.

MadMagyar92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By MadMagyar92

I am so glad I waited and did not get a 3DS... This is getting messier by the month. I'll wait for the 3DS 'lite' version. Seriously though, what's with Nintendo having a REALLY great generation to a REALLY, out the door, shitty one? Consistency people! Enough of this bad to good and back non-sense!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#170  Edited By toowalrus
    @lizzard2
    @Atramentous: cool ..hey you want to buy my dualshock 3 with no start button and in 6 months i'll sell you a sweet start button to you for a great price ok? im not ripping you off i promise. :P
    That's just about EXACTLY what Sony did with rumble.
    bornagain888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By bornagain888

I think this will just be a speed bump on the road to gaming handheld death. Smartphones, itouch, tablets, and most important of all, 99 cent games have FOREVER changed the marketplace.

JoWill1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By JoWill1986

I don't understand why everyone is so mad over this topic. If the second analog stick makes games better and brings in more games and 3rd party support then its a win-win for everybody. If the analog stick sucks Nintendo will drop support of the second analog stick. And no one says that 1st party and 3rd party games will lose it's innovation because of a second analog stick.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#173  Edited By Jensonb

If this plays out the way it seems, who is going to buy the WiiU? NOBODY. Nintendo, doing this would be a colossal mistake: if you don't have faith in your products, why should I?

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Laksa

its an add on for the monster hunter game. maybe the author should post such emotion laced articles on his own blog instead of on gb.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By laserbolts

The 3DS seems more like a joke everyday.

Avatar image for internetdetective
    InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own a 3ds (ambassador!) and I am not mad about this. Especially since my 3ds just sits in a charging base all day gathering dust.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By thejke

Amazon is offering $115 for 3DS trade ins. I might just send mine in and wait a couple years before I buy anything Nintendo again. I have been a devoted Nintendo fan since the SNES, but I just don't like the direction they are going in right now. I use my PSP that I got on launch day, March 24, 2005, more than my 3ds.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By ChrisInCali
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
    goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

@Laksa said:

its an add on for the monster hunter game. maybe the author should post such emotion laced articles on his own blog instead of on gb.

Maybe this poster should go read IGN because he clearly doesn't understand what this site is about.

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By moondogg

I don't see the problem, its a single game peripheral, it seems to me to be exactly the same thing as a guitar controller for rock band or guitar hero. If you don't want to play monster hunter, don't buy it. Maybe if its succesful more games will utilise it, or ninty will redesign the system to incorporate another analog stick, its not like a redesign or four weren't coming anyway. But again if this gets your goat don't buy it.
    kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By kosayn

Sony will be like.. 4 sticks, now what! Smoothest shave in town!

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By pandashake

@JoWill1986: Not everyone wants the stick because they may think it's ugly and huge (defeats the purpose of portability). Because of that, there may be a split in the player base. Some games might require them, some not, screwing people who don't want the monstrosity.

If you read the article, some early adopters may feel shafted again if they incorporated a 2nd analog to a sleek 3ds slim.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#183  Edited By patrick

@Laksa said:

If you're implying that it's only to be used with Monster Hunter, that's not the case. Either way, the fact that Nintendo took it upon themselves to produce this instead of the developers contracting a third party to do it is telling enough. The practicality of it aside, it still highlights the fact that they are basically conceding that the 3DS inputs weren't sufficient to the point that it warranted such an addon.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#184  Edited By HydraHam

@ChrisInCali said:

@Styl3s said:

People will bitch about everything.

I like how you tried to pass this off as a non-issue. Cute. Nintendo got greedy and burned a lot of fans by way over-pricing this hardware at $250 then dropping it in 5 months by $80. If this add-on turns out to be something that a lot of games use in the future, or incorporated into a redesign, that's another huge slap in the face to early adopters. So yeah, it's worth "bitching" about. If nobody "bitched" about anything in life corporate greedy would run rampant.

I like how you try to pass it off AS an issue.

1. You knew what you were buying from the get go, no one forced you to buy it on launch at $250, was it overpriced? yes, but it's not nintendos fault you were willing to shell out $250

2. Everyone knew it was going to drop price, i like most smart consumers WAITED and i am still waiting for the price drop, again the whole pricing thing is your own fault.

3. It's an add-on, add-ons are inevitable, you were an early adopter which means you got the rough version of the 3DS, a better version will be out next year just like the lite/DSI

You overpaid so you have a right to bitch, i didn't say you couldn't but i stand by my people will bitch about everything but this is trivial, it's a fucking addon, the system doesn't require it, if you don't like it simply do not buy it, you spend $250 then complain about the price? NO ONE FORCED YOU to spend $250

I didn't spend $250 and i didn't buy it when it dropped, i was smart and i am waiting for the inevitable upgraded version next year, something you should of done and you wouldn't be here bitching on a video game site. All people do bitch bitch bitch.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By prestonhedges
    @Kosayn said:

Sony will be like.. 4 sticks, now what! Smoothest shave in town!

This is the best post on this article.
    Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Laksa
    @Bummey
    ok, i will go see if they have any angry blog like articles masquerading as news.
    LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By LetsRockBaby

I'm not too hot and bothered about this cause I'm not too big on Monster Hunter, so I won't need this piece of garbage.

Nintendo just better make sure no games I'll want will utilize it, cause I will cry.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#188  Edited By Levio

Consumers beware. With today's games/hardware, you get only exactly what you paid for.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#189  Edited By LegalBagel

Well now I have even more of a reason to wait for the first redesign.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#190  Edited By vasta_narada
    @JoWill1986 said:
    I don't understand why everyone is so mad over this topic. If the second analog stick makes games better and brings in more games and 3rd party support then its a win-win for everybody. If the analog stick sucks Nintendo will drop support of the second analog stick. And no one says that 1st party and 3rd party games will lose it's innovation because of a second analog stick.
    I agree with you, except for the part where people who already own a 3DS get burned hard if the analog stick takes off. If it does, more and more games will use it, forcing people to end up buying either it, or an eventual redesign of the system.  

That said, I'm an early adopter, and though I'm a bit miffed, I will welcome the second analog stick...provided it doesn't look like ass when it comes out.
    vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#191  Edited By vasta_narada

Oh, also, I don't see why the analog stick attachment couldn't curl over the handheld, and be positioned under the face buttons. When you close the DS, it could pivot, raise slightly, and then rest on the top of the system.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By coakroach

I want to buy a Vita more than this.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#193  Edited By LegalBagel

@Styl3s said:

I like how you try to pass it off AS an issue.

1. You knew what you were buying from the get go, no one forced you to buy it on launch at $250, was it overpriced? yes, but it's not nintendos fault you were willing to shell out $250

2. Everyone knew it was going to drop price, i like most smart consumers WAITED and i am still waiting for the price drop, again the whole pricing thing is your own fault.

3. It's an add-on, add-ons are inevitable, you were an early adopter which means you got the rough version of the 3DS, a better version will be out next year just like the lite/DSI

You overpaid so you have a right to bitch, i didn't say you couldn't but i stand by my people will bitch about everything but this is trivial, it's a fucking addon, the system doesn't require it, if you don't like it simply do not buy it, you spend $250 then complain about the price? NO ONE FORCED YOU to spend $250

I didn't spend $250 and i didn't buy it when it dropped, i was smart and i am waiting for the inevitable upgraded version next year, something you should of done and you wouldn't be here bitching on a video game site. All people do bitch bitch bitch.

I'm not even a 3DS owner and I can see why people are upset.

1/2. A fairly rapid price drop, before even any good software was released, is a pretty big screwjob to early adopters. Moreso than normal. Nintendo as much as acknowledged this, so I don't see why you're disputing it.

3. An add-on that renders something obsolete or incompatible with many games is different than an incremental hardware improvement. It'd be like announcing the Wii Motion Plus less than a year after the Wii came out.

Early adopters expect to pay a premium for hardware that will be improved upon in later generations. They don't expect to see a price drop before they've gotten much value AND an add-on which will potentially make their system obsolete within a year. That's an exceptional level of screwing and Nintendo is likely to get burned by it next time they release a system. Which could in turn doom the system before people like you who wait even got their hands on it.

Early adopters are somewhat suckers, and even they would admit it, but they serve a purpose. Without them a system likely never gets off the ground. Just screaming buyer beware isn't really a good argument and I don't imagine Nintendo PR will be doing that. There are certain norms and risks you buy into when buying first generation hardware, but they usually don't come back to bite you this bad.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#194  Edited By godzilla_sushi

@JoWill1986 said:

I think it has more to do with the now running joke that Nintendo will always inevitably release attachments for everything that nobody cares about and doesn't get supported. The Game Boy Color camera, the Game Boy Advance player for Gamecube. The disk drive for the N64. The cable attachments for Four Swords. The Gamecube modem. The eShop. Wii steering wheel shells. Motion Plus. The N64 expansion pack. Just on and on and on.

Nobody asked for 3D. But having a second stick on the damn thing would have made sense from the beginning. Even I feel like I'm ranting right now! Japan doesn't exactly develop games that set the world on fire, and Nintendo doesn't exactly leave the 1994 comfort zone.

I totally understand why fans are upset. Nobody is forcing them to buy the attachment. But couple it with the games currently available and the recent past.....hard not to see why that pattern of iteration is frustratingly cyclical.

AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By AgileNate

Uhh, the 3DS should have had a second anolog to begin with. Because of Nintendo's consistent habit of revisions they now have cautious buyers. No hardware sale = no software sales along with now software collection.  That's why I don't own one. If a remodeled 3DS looks good, I might buy one but as of now, I have no interest, especially after the announcement of Mega Man Legends 3 being canceled. 

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By MrAristocrates
    @Styl3s: You're antagonizing someone because of events that they could not foresee. You're also acting elitist when they complain about them, insulting them and basically spitting in their face. He's complaining about the price because there was a freakishly short amount of time before the price drop, not because he thinks he was "forced" to pay $250. Plus, part of the point is that Nintendo shouldn'tbe allowed to release several different versions of their handhelds, something that they are notorious for doing and that YOU are buying into. 

Also, you do realize Nintendo is probably going to make the version that you buy obsolete within the next two years, right?
    freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By freakin9

It's interesting, even though the touchscreen has been used as a second analog stick in a lot of games. The 3ds is actually selling well now since the price drop, but even if there is a revision I'm sure no games will require it, but a lot of games will have the option. This specific thing seems more of a reaction to the Vita than anything else. Monster Hunter is a big get for them, at the end of the day this attachment will make more people happy than pissed off. I think this is more a case of the early adopters feeling twice scorned, or thrice if you count the lack of games.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#198  Edited By Devoid

And THIS is why I don't buy launch consoles/handhelds.

mr48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By mr48

Watching Nintendo continue to rerelease the same old product in ever more inane revisions is a bit like watching that scene in American Psycho with the characters one uppping each other with their practically identical business cards.

Grambyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#200  Edited By Grambyte

Nintendo has been trying to shove peripherals down our throats since the beginning, it just never got ground. Now since the Wii has been released they've realized their time of endless release of peripherals and new models has finally come and they'll be damned if they didn't abuse that fact.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.