Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Looking For a JRPG for My 8 Year Old Daughter (3DS)

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My 8 year old daughter just got a New 3DS XL for her birthday.

I'd like to get her a JRPG but I am not sure if there are any out there for a younger audience. Any suggestions? (I would prefer to get her a turned based game since she tends to get easily upset when dealing with quick moving games).

Thanks.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

You can start where I (and many people around my age) started: Pokemon. Those games are relatively simple, use turn-based combat, and have enough color and flair to be enticing. I can't think of a better first JRPG.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

do you know if any of her friends are into jrpgs? i tried to get my little bro into pokemon when he was young like i did back in the day but he didn't really get into it cause he didn't know anyone else that played it. i find it really hard to get kids into things, they naturally just gravitate towards things.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can start where I (and many people around my age) started: Pokemon. Those games are relatively simple, use turn-based combat, and have enough color and flair to be enticing. I can't think of a better first JRPG.

Thank you. I suggested Pokemon to her the other day and she didn't bite. . . I think she thinks it's a boy's game. I'll try to change my tactics of persuasion. :)

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pokemon is an excellent starting point.

Golden Sun is a phenomenal game but some of the puzzle mechanics might be a bit rough for an 8 year old, not sure.

Bravely Default is a really strong 3DS showing, but the multi class mechanic might take a bit of work to comprehend as well.

Pokemon really is the perfect entry point to turn based rpgs and rock/paper/scissor weaknesses.

Now as to which pokemon game you should start her with? Can't help you there. I think the newest one lets you play as a girl if that helps her at all.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do you know if any of her friends are into jrpgs? i tried to get my little bro into pokemon when he was young like i did back in the day but he didn't really get into it cause he didn't know anyone else that played it. i find it really hard to get kids into things, they naturally just gravitate towards things.

I doubt any of her friends are into them, especially her close friends (I don't think any of them have gaming consoles).

I am hoping that I might create a spark if I find the right game (if such game exists), but like you said it's hard to get kids into things. We'll see.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Chrono Trigger DS is great as well. She will probably need some help from pops though. Lucky you!

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon is an excellent starting point.

Golden Sun is a phenomenal game but some of the puzzle mechanics might be a bit rough for an 8 year old, not sure.

Bravely Default is a really strong 3DS showing, but the multi class mechanic might take a bit of work to comprehend as well.

Pokemon really is the perfect entry point to turn based rpgs and rock/paper/scissor weaknesses.

Now as to which pokemon game you should start her with? Can't help you there. I think the newest one lets you play as a girl if that helps her at all.

Playing as a girl could be a big selling point. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Like others have said, Pokemon is perfect. I started out on them as a kid and never looked back.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

The DS port of Chrono Trigger is pretty great and will work on the 3DS.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By liquiddragon

@skadave: although i would've been over the moon to get a nintendo handheld as an 8 year old, kids these days would much prefer an ipod touch. they can surf the web, download w/e popular apps atm, and do super causal gaming. my little sister, who's not a "gamer" play random throwaway games all the time cause it's not much of an investment. honestly, i think it's hard to expect any little kid to get into rpgs right off the bat. i really got obsessed with pokemon but even then, i had a good 3 year (non rpg) gaming experience before hand. rpgs are pretty heady stuff if you think about it. i would start her off with more approachable and immediate games that's also not super demanding right off the bat and hope she eventually get deeper into games. good thing is, nintendo games are very good with that.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have any harvest moon games on 3DS? I know of a couple girls who when they were little got into that series and became lifelong fans. Also the newer ones are much more beginner friendly than they used to be.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you can find it, there is Atelier Annie for the DS. It may be a little bit too complicated for you daughter right now given its task based nature but you probably would have a good idea about that. There is a 3DS version of Atelier Rorona that was just released in Japan that might make its way here but that could be a a way off.

Fantasy Life has simple action combat I think, you may also want to check that out.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Legend of the River King 2. Originally a GBC game but you can get it on the eShop.

It's like Pokemon Red/Blue, except instead of the Pokemon it has hardcore fishing action. It also teaches kids to respect their elders, probably. It's very idyllic-rural-Japan.

roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Quest 4-6 or 9 for the DS. It is a proven fact that kids love puns.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Calmgamer

My 11 year old daughter currently loves Animal Crossing and Fantasy Life. She started Animal Crossing games at about 8.

If you want to play a console game with your daughter - I recommend FF10. Yuna is a pretty positive role model for a little girl (trying to be brave and responsible, but willing to accept help, etc). Really enjoyed playing that with my daughter. (Obviously a Sony System title - but thought it worth mentioning)

D0rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon is a great entry to RPGs and super simple. the dragon quest games are also very mechanically simple and there 3ds versions of 7 and 8 coming here eventually.

or throw her in the deep end with smt strange journey.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly recommend Rhapsody for DS, and also just peruse the offerings in the VC on the 3DS store with your daughter, if any attract her interest go for it.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Style Savvy is the realest JRPG on the 3DS. You have to defeat your customers' wallets with fashion.

Seriously though, it's not bad.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Bravely Default looks OK at first but sometimes that dialog can be a wee bit saucy and also there are a lot of numbers to crunch in that game. If she can play it, great, but I think it might be a little much for an 8 year old.

Give her SMT IV instead! (Don't do that)

Outside of Pokemon, I don't know.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How about one of the Mario and Luigi games?

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rune Factory 4

Pokemon X

Dragon Quest

Bowers Inside Story

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Dixavd

I'm going to concur with others on Pokémon. Specifically, if her hang-up has been it seeming too much of a boyish (masculine) game then I highly suggest Pokémon X and Y (though let her pick which legendary on the front looks more appealing - my guess is Xerneas from Pokémon X, the legendary Stag who is the bringer of eternal life). They added Fairy Pokémon specifically to counter the very strong Dragon Pokémon. They added a very big focus on character customisation/clothing (even more if you pick a girl over a boy - they just have more varied styles of clothing). They even included a new Pokémon based on a poodle purely for the game mechanic of changing its hair style.

The player's rivals are focused much more on friends helping each other aim for their own goals (rather than the very competitive stance from the older games). The champion for the region (the supposed best Pokémon trainer - and one of the most important role models), Diantha, is also a renowned and beautiful actress (reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn).

The Pokémon series has always had a larger female audience (being in he 20-30% from the start) but has been steadily catering more and more towards them (starting with the addition of the female player option in Crystal back in 2000) such that now they are almost equally split in Japan. X and Y are the most female friendly yet, bar none. Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby are also good jumping in points, but there aren't many strong female characters in those (though Alpha Sapphire has Shelly in it)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.