Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo Announces The New 2DS XL out of nowhere

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That seems nice. I don't need a 3rd 3DS though. If they ever release a special edition design for a franchise I like then maybe I'll get it since $150 isn't too bad.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm good. My 2DS suits me just fine ^_^ cool for those who have yet to get one though. If you're one of those, what are you waiting for??

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I have is an original 3DS, I think this might finally be the point that I upgrade. I don't care about the 3D and I think I'd use it more if it had a bigger screen. Plus, Xenoblade. Also that's a pretty good price.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zeik

I'll probably end buying this when it drops below $100. I've been debating upgrading from my standard 3DS and I don't ever use the 3D anymore. This also fixes the one huge design flaw of the original 2DS that stopped me from ever realistically considering it: the lack of the folding clamshell design.

I wonder if the top screen looks any better compared to the 3DS. The low quality top screen when 3D is disabled has always been my least favorite thing about the console.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By forteexe21

Looks so good.

No Caption Provided

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the fuck is Nintendo doing?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

"A Nintendo-like solution" if ever I saw one.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@zeik said:

I'll probably end buying this when it drops below $100. I've been debating upgrading from my standard 3DS and I don't ever use the 3D anymore. This also fixes the one huge design flaw of the original 2DS that stopped me from ever realistically considering it: the lack of the folding clamshell design.

It's been bizarre to watch Nintendo flip flop on what features to include in the iterations of the 3DS.

• "Here's the 3DS: it has the same clamshell design that you like from the DS, but now it has glasses-free 3D!"
    • "Here's the 2DS: fuck 3D, fuck the clamshell design, we know little kids break the hinge all the time anyway, so we're making this one super cheaply!"
    • "Here's the 2DS XL: aww, we were just kidding earlier, the clamshell design is awesome! But still fuck 3D."

Honestly have no idea where they will go next.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell is going on over there?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ok, this is fucking hilarious.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LeStephan

Man wtf is with people wanting these xl units, 3ds games already dont look to hot imo, especially with the 3d off and stretched bigger. I rarely used my xl because of how much worse the games usually looked on that thing(And thats coming from someone who still regularly plays ps1 games and whatnot). I have a small new 3ds since launch and the only feature from the new 3ds that gets any use from me is the enhanced 3d which for me finally made the 3d aspect work perfectly (I never turn it off anymore) but there are practically no games that make use of the extra gpu or buttons.....

That said, I do find the design of this thing pretty good looking. Lets hope this is the last push for the 3ds before they kill it off and focus on the switch though. They did the same with the gba, releasing the micro while the ds was already out so no reason to worry yet.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the speakers are any better on these later models. I've been fine with my old XL for all these years except the speakers sound bad lately.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: selling something people may still want? and it's better for kids than a switch. i would prefer they go all in on switch too, but at least they're staying true to their word.

i like thelook, but can't rationalize it (unless it's got like 20hrs battery life and remains on standby for 2 weeks or more, maaaaybe)

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit does that thing look slick.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo Baffles me sometimes but I'd be lying if I didn't say that thing is sexy!

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, it looks kind of cool, the price is ok if you don't own a 3ds or 2ds already.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm pretty stoked for the 2019 announcement of the Switch U-VR.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, I quite like that. Might grab it, assuming it isn't a limited time thing and the stock isn't garbage, don't have a 3ds so this seems good.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: i know it goes against the inherent design of it but i feel i would quite fancy a smaller switch that doesn't have detachable joycons (one solid unit, hur hur hur) also better battery life and maybe a bump in processing power??

i mean i guess it'd be another PR nightmare nintendo draws to them so often with confused parents wondering why they can't remove the "joycons" to play local multiplayer. but meh, i'd be happy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Humanity

The ship is steering itself

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

That's kinda cool I guess. I have a friend who was looking for a 2DS recently (and couldn't find it), now he'll probably get this one instead.

I own a regular 2DS and like it a lot, mostly because of the form factor.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks so good.

No Caption Provided

Oh god, orange Creamsicle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I like how the intial reaction of the first person to hold one is "wjat is this thing?" before making happy commercial face.

I have 2 thoughts on this: I hope this doesn't mean they aren't putting all mobile development behind the Switch. Does this thing play games that say "New 3ds only" on them, cuz that would make this way more appealing.

I never owned any iteration of 3ds so there is a huge library of games I would like to play, but if it won't play Xenoblade and other games with the "new 3ds" branding on them it's not worth it.

Idk how much weight to put behind my first thought because with Nintendo who the fuck knows what they're doing.

People more knowledgable about the 3ds ecosystem, are there games the 2ds can't play that the New 3ds can? I assume it can't play Xenoblade but I don't actually know.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

GODDAMN IT NINTENDO! Stop putting "new" in product names because eventually they won't be new anymore... And trailer, you cannot put "new clamshell design" in there and not expect us to call bullshit on that. It's only a feature that's been in Nintendo handhelds since the GBA SP.

Anyway, looks nice, I'm sure it'll sell fine to people who don't want/need 3D in their handheld device (which would include me if I didn't already own a 3DS XL... though it isn't "new," cutting me out of literally 21 3DS titles), it's just a very Nintendo-ass Nintendo move. Glad they announced this mere days after killing the NES Classic. Why make a product everyone wants when you can make a product everyone goes "huh? well I guess..." at. Nintendo, making bizarre decisions for over a century.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard from parents that they don't won't to get their kid a switch because for small kids, holding the system like a hand held and trying to take it on the go is a bit difficult due to it's size. I guess this is for that group of folks and collectors? Honestly it doesn't look to bad to me. I won't be getting one, but I could see the appeal. I also get why they stuck with the 'new' name for it. If they changed it after calling there most recent 3ds hardware upgrade the 'new 3ds' but gave this one a totally different naming convention it would be even MORE confusing. And it's already so confusing its ridiculous. I honestly hope this is the last major version of a 'new' named system Nintendo makes.

Heck i don't even care if they make another 3ds. Just...the name has got to be changed from 3ds or any variation there of. Its way to confusing to consumers who don't keep up with games.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous

I think it's a fine product for them to put out and I would probably get one if I didn't already have a 3DS XL, but holy shit, they need to revoke the rights for whoever it is at this company that is in charge of naming products. Stop putting New in the title of everything.

Also, Nintendo is basically a parody of themselves at this point

Game Boy Advance (2001)
    Game Boy Advance SP (2003)
    Game Boy Micro (2005)

Nintendo DS (2004)
    Nintendo DS Lite (2006)
    Nintendo DSi (2008)
    Nintendo DSi XL (2009)

Nintendo 3DS (2011)
    Nintendo 3DS XL (2012)
    Nintendo 2DS (2013)
    New Nintendo 3DS (2014)
    New Nintendo 3DS XL (2014)
    New Nintendo 2DS XL (2017)

I guess if anything it shows that we were overdue for a revision

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hahaha, no thank you.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never use the 3D on my New 3DS XL. So cheaper, lighter, better battery life, sounds good.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the 'Home' button? Does this not have network features?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

It looks so slick, I just wish I had an excuse to get one.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: Down and to the right a little from the dpad.

Anyway, put me in the "this thing looks slick as hell" camp.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By TheWildCard

Well of course they are, Nintendo do love their handheld revisions. It actually looks pretty nice though.

@zeik said:

I wonder if the top screen looks any better compared to the 3DS. The low quality top screen when 3D is disabled has always been my least favorite thing about the console.

That's about how I feel. Never felt the need to upgrade my xl, but if this was a little cheaper I could justify getting one of these.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well of course they are, Nintendo does love their handheld revisions. It actually looks pretty nice though.

@zeik said:

That's about how I feel. Never felt the need to upgrade my xl, but if this was a little cheaper I could justify getting one of these.

Same. I jailbroke and turned my 2ds into a really nice emulation machine. The upgraded parts would help with certain stuff, but I'd rather just pay $300 for a switch instead of upgrading for $150.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa...$150 is, in my opinion, too high a price for this thing. As mentioned earlier, if you look hard enough you can get new 3DS for about $20 more. No thank you. When I saw the original promotional video, I thought to myself, man this will be a great $99 system. $150 is way too high.

Avatar image for deraespieterjan
    DeraesPieterjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DeraesPieterjan

I remember when this launched and I loathed it.

Now, 2 years later, I'm thinking of getting one. They look good, are cheaper, come with MK7, and when I used the N3DSXL, I didn't really use the 3D.

Now, whether to get the black&blue or lavender&silver one, is a whole other issue.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was wondering why this got bumped, but I got some laughs out of the "What the fuck is Nintendo doing?" salt, so, worth it.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For real, if they could add DS/3DS BC to a new version of the Switch, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.