Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

possibly getting a 3DS. worth it?

rnr1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rnr1224

to make a long story short, my friend may be selling me a 3DS and OOT for $200. based on this, does this sound like a reasonable price when  looking at current and future games for the system?

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I'd say so, but it depends on your taste in games, really. I mean, there are some great looking games lined up, and Ocarina of Time is excellent, but there aren't many other games out there for it though.. 

If you do pick it up, however, I would recommend getting Super Street Fighter IV 3D and Pilotwings Resort too.. 

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Julmust

Do you like Nintendo games? Because if you do, you should get one.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Samaritan

Does the prospect of playing a new Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros., Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus excite you? If you answered yes to all these questions, then yes!

rnr1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rnr1224
    @MancombSeepgood said:
    I'd say so, but it depends on your taste in games, really. I mean, there are some great looking games lined up, and Ocarina of Time is excellent, but there aren't many other games out there for it though..  If you do pick it up, however, I would recommend getting Super Street Fighter IV 3D and Pilotwings Resort too.. 
    well after looking at some of the upcoming games it does look promising. mario kart, kid icarus, super mario, resident evil, MGS, starfox 64, and animal crossing all (at the time of this writing) scheduled before the end of the year? looks like an awesome lineup!
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

$200 for both?  Totally worth it.  You are saving $90 by going that way.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VirtuaXav
    @Progn0sticator

Does the prospect of playing a new Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros., Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus excite you? If you answered yes to all these questions, then yes!

This. Plus you can put money on them releasing more games within their key franchises.
    Maybe stick with Ocarina for now but they'll probably release an original Zelda for the 3DS too.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By landon

There aren't that many good games out for it right now. The battery life totally sucks. You'll most likely end up buying whatever 2nd version they come out with. I'd wait.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @Landon said:
    There aren't that many good games out for it right now. The battery life totally sucks. You'll most likely end up buying whatever 2nd version they come out with. I'd wait.
    I don't get the battery life complaint.  I have literally never run the battery down to nothing.  When it's in sleep mode, it barely makes a noticeable dent, and I'm never in a position where I'm playing the 3DS for multiple hours at a time without access to a charger.  Seriously, people made way too much of an issue out of the battery life.  It'd be nice if it were longer, but then that would describe the battery lives of literally every electronic device on the planet.  I get less battery life out of my cell phone.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By zero_

Depends on your tastes in game like everyone's said. I got for 3 reasons on launch:

a) I could switch a new DSiXL I just got for $200 off and get the 3DS for $100. Might as well.

b) Megaman Legends 3 was coming out on it, and that's a game I'm not going to miss for anything after waiting 10+ years.

c) MGS3 Snake Eater was being ported, that's one of my favourite games of all time (But now this point is void because it's coming out on the PS3!)

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By landon
    @Hailinel said:
    @Landon said:
    I don't get the battery life complaint.  I have literally never run the battery down to nothing.  When it's in sleep mode, it barely makes a noticeable dent, and I'm never in a position where I'm playing the 3DS for multiple hours at a time without access to a charger.  Seriously, people made way too much of an issue out of the battery life.  It'd be nice if it were longer, but then that would describe the battery lives of literally every electronic device on the planet.  I get less battery life out of my cell phone.
    If you were to sit there and tell me that the 3DS is more of a smaller console you play at your desk, plugged into the wall, then yeah I wouldn't really care much about the battery life either. But considering they're selling this as a portable system, the battery life is unacceptable. It's bad enough I have to keep my iPod in the computer while I'm playing Infinity Blade, I don't want to do that with my DS.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Landon said:
    @Hailinel said:
    @Landon said:
    If you were to sit there and tell me that the 3DS is more of a smaller console you play at your desk, plugged into the wall, then yeah I wouldn't really care much about the battery life either. But considering they're selling this as a portable system, the battery life is unacceptable. It's bad enough I have to keep my iPod in the computer while I'm playing Infinity Blade, I don't want to do that with my DS.
    I take my 3DS with me to work most days without the charger.  I get maybe in a few rounds of Street Fighter or DOA at most during lunch, and by the time I get home, the battery indicator still says that there's a healthy charge left.  And even when I'm just sitting at home, if I'm just playing for a couple of hours, the charge is still healthy afterward, and I just drop it on the cradle to let it charge back up.  I have no problems with its battery life.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you don't take that deal, I'll cut you.  I want a 3DS and Zelda right now so bad but have no money.

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theQman121

I told myself I'd hold out for vita, but when I saw the Ocarina of Time 3D Quick Look I was sold.

I ended up losing my original DS, buying a DS Lite, and then finding my old DS again, so I'm selling both of those to friends, and then hoping to sell my PSP as well. With those 3 I should be close to what I need to buy me a 3DS. 

I would go for it, though. That's a heck of a deal for a 3DS and Zelda.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Hector

I'd say wait for the redesigned model (we all know one is coming) and bigger library of games.

pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pochunki

@xobballox said:

If you don't take that deal, I'll cut you. I want a 3DS and Zelda right now so bad but have no money.

exact same position. buy that 3DS, bro.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Enigma777

Hell no.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

I'm personally going to wait for an updated model before even considering a purchase, just my two cents.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hzaife

I wanna buy one, but i wanna wait for the Lite, but the only thing i want on it is RE Revelations, Ocarina and MAYBE Mansion and Super Mario..

Mainly for RE though

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat

That's a good price, since i paid £200 for Zelda + 3DS which is about $320!

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By theQman121

Nintendo says they're in with this model for the long haul, but how true can that be? I'm ready to buy a 3DS, but I'm considering seeing if the price drops around holiday to stiffen competition against the Vita.

How does scaling look on DS games?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MideonNViscera

It's not even remotely worth it right now. Wait a year until the price drops and there's actually games for it. I have one, and I bought SSF4 for the second time, and OOT for the second time, and I don't play either of them. The only way it's possibly worth it is if you never had a DS. 

EDIT: Also, I'm eBaying my gay Zelda soundtrack and poster to pay for the game haha

Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Tophat666

DO IT DUDER, $200 flat is better then $300+TAX.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By christ0phe

no

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.