Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Reccomendations for new DS owner.

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, I'm a new owner of a DS and would love some recommendations. I got my DS yesterday and with it Zelda PH, Pokemon Diamond and New Super Mario Bros. I'm looking for good games in general but lean toward some games that use the touch screen a good bit and over all fun action that I can just pick up and play.

I'm looking at gettting "The world ends with you" already, so scratch that :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space Invaders Extreme and Elite Beat Agents are must haves

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

Kirby: Canvas Curse is still one of the best DS games that uses the touch screen...I would also recommend Elite Beat Agents.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By atejas

Order of Ecclesia.
    Etrian Odyssey for a challenging RPG.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike is a must-have, unless you really don't think you could ever enjoy strategy games.

If you're interested in real time strategy, there's only one choice: 1701 AD: Dawn of Discovery. Easily beats Advance Wars if you ask me.

Chrono Trigger DS is the most awesome RPG on the console to date, if you haven't already played it - Get it.

Prof. Layton and Hotel Dusk are both better than you think they are. Both awesome games.

Mario Kart DS is a given.

Metroid Prime Hunters and CoD World at War are the only good FPS on the system.

Meteos and Tetris DS are great puzzle games.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By lebkin

Another vote for both Canvas Curse and Elite Beat Agents.

In addition, I recommend the three Castlevania games (2D action rpgs), Hotel Dusk (adventure), Professor Layton (puzzles), Ninja Town (tower defense), and finally Puzzle Quest (Bejeweled RPG).

Avatar image for altered_confusion
    Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

#7  Edited By Altered_Confusion

All I can say is Puzzle Quest.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Megalon
    Meowayne said:
    "Advance Wars: Dual Strike is a must-have, unless you really don't think you could ever enjoy strategy games.

If you're interested in real time strategy, there's only one choice: 1701 AD: Dawn of Discovery. Easily beats Advance Wars if you ask me.

Chrono Trigger DS is the most awesome RPG on the console to date, if you haven't already played it - Get it.

Prof. Layton and Hotel Dusk are both better than you think they are. Both awesome games.

Mario Kart DS is a given.

Metroid Prime Hunters and CoD World at War are the only good FPS on the system.

Meteos and Tetris DS are great puzzle games.

"
    Kush said:
    "Kirby: Canvas Curse is still one of the best DS games that uses the touch screen...I would also recommend Elite Beat Agents."
    All of these (well, except the CoD game are exactly what I was thinking. I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger, and it's freaking fantastic. All of these are must-owns for a DS owner imo.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I recommend Mario Kart, Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy III-IV (and Crystal Chronicles), any of the Castlevania games, Mario Kart, Worms 2, and Chrono Trigger.  You can't go wrong with any of those.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually can't stand strategy games - especially those who do the whole turn based, grid thing! Ick, (actually give me some starcraft anyday - I dig the real time stuff somewhat) thus advanced wars and so on aren't for me.

Chrono Trigger is more or less the reason I got a DS :P Will get it once I beat some of the ones I have now - as I've played in on both the SNES and PS before hand.

Prof layton is a reccomendation I keep seeing but cant figure out what its really about... even after reading GS's review.

Mario Kart is another I had in mind.

Prime & COD eh? What about BIA?

What is Elite Beat Agents?

Hotel Dusk looks kewl.

Will look at canvas curse.

What do you all think of Mario64, Yoshi's Island, N+ and Dragonball Origins?
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PercyChuggs

I recommend not buying a system until you have about 5-8 games in mind that you want.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Black_Rose

Hotel Dusk is a must

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Picross

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weltal
    Etrian Odyssey-Great 'Classic' rpg dungeon crawl, it's also pretty damn difficult.
    Brain Age 2- Pretty obvious choice but they Brain Ages are fun.
    Puzzle Quest- I guess you might have this on another platform but this is my preferred portable platform.
    Final Fantasy III- Awesome remake and really that's all that needs said.

Also, Korg DS-10, a choice that really very much depends on what you like mostly because it's not really a game. Its a fucking blast to play with though.
    macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By macandcheese

I would recommend Ninjatown, its like a tower defense game for the DS with a good plot and really fun gameplay, good if you intendto play for chunks of time and dont want to have to invest tons of time at once

KiddSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By KiddSushi
    Weltal said:
    "Etrian Odyssey-Great 'Classic' rpg dungeon crawl, it's also pretty damn difficult.
    Brain Age 2- Pretty obvious choice but they Brain Ages are fun.
    Puzzle Quest- I guess you might have this on another platform but this is my preferred portable platform.
    Final Fantasy III- Awesome remake and really that's all that needs said.

Also, Korg DS-10, a choice that really very much depends on what you like mostly because it's not really a game. Its a fucking blast to play with though."
    Did you buy Korg DS-10 at a store or online? I've been to every store around where I live and no one even knows what it is. Even GameStop nerds look at me like I'm stupid when I ask about it.
    klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By klinkcow

PROFESSOR LAYTON! Best use of the system

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By weltal
    KiddSushi said:
    Did you buy Korg DS-10 at a store or online? I've been to every store around where I live and no one even knows what it is. Even GameStop nerds look at me like I'm stupid when I ask about it."
    Yeah, I had the same issue. Only way I could get it was online, picked it up from Amazon.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThomasP

Mario Kart DS

Chrono Trigger

Professor Layton IV

Metroid Prime Hunters

Final Fantasy IV

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

...and any of the three Castlevania games... many more.

The DS has so many great games.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThomasP
    hush404 said:
    " I actually can't stand strategy games - especially those who do the whole turn based, grid thing! Ick, (actually give me some starcraft anyday - I dig the real time stuff somewhat) thus advanced wars and so on aren't for me.

Chrono Trigger is more or less the reason I got a DS :P Will get it once I beat some of the ones I have now - as I've played in on both the SNES and PS before hand.

Prof layton is a reccomendation I keep seeing but cant figure out what its really about... even after reading GS's review.

Hotel Dusk looks kewl.

What do you all think of Mario64, Yoshi's Island, N+ and Dragonball Origins?"
    Yoshi's Island is cool. You can get Super Mario 64 on the VC if you have a Wii.

Check out Jeff's review on Professor Layton. It's one of my favorite reviews of his. Great puzzles, great story, great game.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Red

Professor Layton and Chrono Trigger, Plus, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 isn't bad, great, portable strategy game if you don't like Advance Wars.

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HiroSeven

I would say any Castlevania game, Fire Emblem that will be coming out next month and Dragon Quest IV just to name a few. =)

Oh whoever said Puzzle Quest, I second that too. Great game.

-hiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThomasP said:
    "hush404 said:
    " I actually can't stand strategy games - especially those who do the whole turn based, grid thing! Ick, (actually give me some starcraft anyday - I dig the real time stuff somewhat) thus advanced wars and so on aren't for me.

Hotel Dusk looks kewl.

Check out Jeff's review on Professor Layton. It's one of my favorite reviews of his. Great puzzles, great story, great game."
    Ok thanks, I'll read that. - I dun have a Wii tho.
    klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By klinkcow
    ThomasP said:
    "hush404 said:

Hotel Dusk looks kewl.

Check out Jeff's review on Professor Layton. It's one of my favorite reviews of his. Great puzzles, great story, great game."
    look at us...agreeing!
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Gmanall

Chess Master: Art of Learning (Why are you looking at me funny?)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.