Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

Nintendo to Sell Tiny Nintendos This November

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By InternetDotCom

Just in terms of what games people I talk to that would buy this thing might want, Ice Hockey seems like a weird omission

DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm down with this thing. My immediate thought was of my son, who is almost two, and what a great introduction to video games this would be. I mean, it was good enough for his dad at least. :)

I do think the lack of Dragon Warrior is a gaping hole in the lineup. Same for River City Ransom. But overall it's a fairly solid list of games to boot.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Desperately want Dragon Warrior 1-4 on that thing. I'm still going to buy it though, because I hope it leads to other mini nintendo consoles.

Would kill for a mini N64.

I'm surprised they got as many third-party games as they did, honestly. The licensing arguments must've been a nightmare. I mean, how'd they get Castlevania from the pachinko company? And thankfully they got the good Mega Man.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Day one, for me.

I don't have a working Nintendo anymore, but I played Mega Man 2 on one last year and there was just something special about playing on an NES. This is the closest, most convenient way to do that.

With a heck of a lineup, to boot. Thankfully, I got Vinny's Castlevania video guy to get me through!

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Umm, kinda dumb, but... fuck, who am I kidding? I gotta have this.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still shocked that this thing is only $60. For perspective. You could have bought Evolve with no DLC, or you could have bought a console with 30 Nintendo games on it. Also in 2016, they are selling a controller for $10. $10!!!! Someone forgot to tell them you're supposed to get $120 for the console, and at least $30 for the extra controller, and I love them for it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Official legal emulation is totally something I can get behind, and I'd love to see them do this with other consoles.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's my tiny R.O.B. the Robot?

Aretaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Aretaic

Zanac! Someone mentioned Zanac, and it's Jeff Gerstmann!

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like the first Nintendo console I buy since the N64 is going to be the NES. Who would have guessed.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am of the mindset that they should be able to be updated with more games, but then we just have another nintendo console architecture and then i wonder why we don't just get a buttload bigger selection of VC games on the established consoles. (*cough* final fantasy tactics advance and secret of mana *cough*)

i probably will buy one though being a nintendo fanboy and it may be a neat collectible, plus i'm bad with money.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd much rather wait for the SNES Classic Edition. Although most of the games I would want to play on it I already own the 3DS, so that would still be unnecessary. But it's neat that Nintendo is going to release a physical box like this.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By steveurkel

I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo game since before I got a super nintendo and then all I did was play street fighter 2, fzero, rented a million games and then got Mortal Kombat 2 before I never needed to own another SNES game. I eventually got a Playstation but already had a PC and it just collected dust. My mom eventually sold it for me to get a ski pass but never told me. It didn't matter I had a computer and never looked back. Since then I have owned a PS 2, PS 3, Xbox 360, PS 4 but always had a top of the line gaming PC. Now a days I wouldn't even dream of playing a Nintendo game and I kind of think its like "whats the point?" there are way better games. If you want nostalgia play Quake. It is still the best game ever made and NES games are not any good in 2016. I guess some people will enjoy the subpar emulator in a box though since there is a market for nintendo fanboys.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people are asking for a mini-SNES, but I think it'd be super rad if they made a mini-GameCube that had GameCube games upscaled to 1080.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

@machinerebel said:

Desperately want Dragon Warrior 1-4 on that thing. I'm still going to buy it though, because I hope it leads to other mini nintendo consoles.

Would kill for a mini N64.

I'm surprised they got as many third-party games as they did, honestly. The licensing arguments must've been a nightmare. I mean, how'd they get Castlevania from the pachinko company? And thankfully they got the good Mega Man.

Wait, they got Mega Man 3?

...no, I only see 2. ;)

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By BSw

Interesting. Other than the original Gameboy I never owned any Nintendo consoles, and my girlfriend has asked repeatedly if there are any Mario-like games on the consoles I own. For this price I might buy one of these for her depending on how it performs.

Edit: Any reason to buy a second controller with it? Which of these games support multiplayer?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Chances this doesn't sell out everywhere?

FelixAndrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By FelixAndrews

Buying one of those things is considerably cheaper than buying those 30 games on Virtual Console, at least over here.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That's a huge discount for all of those games. Neat.

snaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! Let's pay $60 for the shittiest emulator ever!

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just lays bare how overpriced this stuff is on the Virtual Console.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@bsw said:

Any reason to buy a second controller with it? Which of these games support multiplayer?

Quite a few of them have multiplayer, maybe a third of these or so? Off the top of my head, Balloon Fight, Bubble Bobble, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon II, Dr. Mario, Ghosts n Goblins, Tecmo Bowl. Some of the other games have pass and play multiplayer.

Salbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Salbert

So, the NX is revealed...

In all seriousness, seems like a pretty clear and clever attempt at getting the "Nintendo" name in the minds of the general public before the NX launch.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It is sorely missing Summer Carnival '92 - Recca. Look at this fucking thing! Hell, it's on 3DS virtual console so it's not even that outlandish. I can see them start to sell these with different games if this does well, and I can almost see it being part of some "Forgotten gems" package.

Chocobomoshpit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me a Wii U that looks exactly like an NES (same size and everything). Replace the cartridge slot with the disc drive and SD card slot. Pre-install 30 NES games. Give the Gamepad an NES color treatment like they did with the GBA SP. I'm sold.

Obviously not at $60. That's silly.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

What a great thing to have lying around for when friends come over and you want to relive your childhood over a few drinks.

wolfskind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this us-only or will I be able to buy one over here in Europe?

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worth 60 for Bubble Bobble by itself. Extra controller and you have the perfect couch co-op game. Love that game and its music.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Great, thanks for letting me know. It will be interesting to see how this thing turns out to be.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#131  Edited By xymox

Is Nintendo testing the waters and checking to see if there's any interest in this? Because even though it's not as well realized as I'd hoped (... doesn't hook up to the virtual console, can't play your old physical games, no way to get more games on it...) I'm still really excited about it. I'd put it on a shelf and hook it up when I want to play any of those games.

Hope it sells well for them. Wouldn't mind a mini SNES, mini N64 and mini gamecube, as I never owned any of those.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

And maybe the NX isn't going to bother with Virtual Console at this point, whereas this mini NES is an inexpensive solution that can get out there on toy store shelves.

There would be no sense in leaving the virtual console out of any future product (unless it had no online functionality). They've already invested in the technology, and including it doesn't cost anything. A box like this, on the other hand, expands the market to those who are into the nostalgia, but aren't interested in a 3DS or Wii U.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@graf1k said:

If they would have just made it connect to the VC store and let you download to a MicroSD card or something, I'd be into it. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have done that to begin with.

Cost, reliability, reducing the risk of piracy.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy a Mega Drive in this format.

mofoless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you not put R.C. Pro-am and kung fu on this thing? Dragon Warrior would be pretty ideal as well...

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

::cringe:: That is so cute!

Can't resist it.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would've been into it if the game list was much larger. NES games are tiny so they could've really gone ham, but I'm assuming licensing issues got in the way.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The negativity some have amuses me. I just find it amazing that Nintendo actually took this step, and this thing is going to be huge with lapsed gamers and people who don't want to bother with emulation.

I'm going to get one just because it looks cool, the price is reasonable, I want to see Nintendo do more stuff like this, and it will be great to play with family or at small parties.

I would have liked to have seen River Motherfucking City Ransom, though.

red720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, other companies have been making this sort of thing for years...

Yeah in New Zealand in the late 80s these sort of multi consoles based on the Atari 2600 were popular (they were shit but parents though 128 games for less than the price of one what a bargain)

One of my mates had a Silver Star with 128 games and another had a Kingsway with 64 but with a cartridge slot so you could get more. I don't know if they would have worked with Atari carts and a lot of the games were named differently, for example I know 'Combat' as 'Battletank'

http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/others/kingsway.htm

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Gildermershina

This sounds cool as hell. Hopefully the controller feels right, because that's the main thing that's been missing from emulation for me.

I was thinking it would be cool if this was expandable, and they put out a handful of collections on little carts - but now that I think about it, what other games would I even want?

lonestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergotron: you aren't the only one. I played the shit out of that game when I was a kid.

Krathoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. The collection is not that great. The second list is better.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

It's nice it's so small and so cheap. The flashback Mega Drive did very well over here in the UK last Christmas I believe; I think it sold out in many places. A shame you can't plug in old cartridges if you had them though.

Krathoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Krathoon

Really, it would be best to just put together a collection the "ghetto" way.

azuresama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the key thing here is it is a tiny Nintendo.In the same way I keep acquiring tiny Japanese model kits of random foods, this appeals greatly. I'll pick up a NES pad for my WiiU though I think at the very least.

Great to see some writing from Jeff, I always enjoy reading it!

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are my 2 cents (actually 2 pences)

I have had a Blaze (I think?) Megadrive handheld, and a friend of mine has the blaze megadrive(Gensis) that has built in games, and takes carts.
    Both of those are pretty good. I think they are the kind of "system on a chip" things rather than any kind of software emulation. But as good as they are, there are some flaws. The sound recreation is well off on both, and the handheld doesn't support any kind of saving when running the built in games, or games from SD cards (even if the original cart did).

I've also had a few other plug and play things over they years too. The Commodore 64 joystick plug and play thing was particularly good.

Anyways.. my point is....

The fact that Nintendo is making (or at least selling) themselves is a really promising look for this thing. I have high hopes it won't have many of the issues that the 3rd party Megadrive etc things have.

In short, I'll probably get one ;)

kippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By kippers

Well, I never played the NES, so in theory this is perfect for me to tuck in next to the TV and experience some of the games.

I saw Ghost and Goblins and that's almost totally sold it for me alone. I *think* it was the Megadrive that I played the hell out of that game on. I'd love to relive that impossible game.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By paulunga

Yeah, that list of games isn't really all that appealing to me. And yet, your personal list is somehow way, way worse. So, good job Nintendo?

Though Rygar would be on my personal list as well.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if you break this thing open, and there is an NX inside!

cmaciej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally people can end these stupid speculations about NX system, here it is!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.