Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

AC Adapter - 120v Only?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The system was announced as region free, but the AC Adapter on Amazon.com just has:

• Plug in the AC adapter and power your Nintendo Switch system from any 120-volt outlet. The AC adapter also allows you to recharge the battery, even while you play.

Does this mean that the region free system only comes with a charger for one region?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I think the implication is that the games are region free, not the system as such. You can play games from all regions on consoles from any region. But power plugs will certainly be different region to region, like with any piece of electronics.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As weird as it may seem, I think Nintendo is rushing. I think they are ready -but rushing- for North America and Japan. Yet, it appears they are weeks if not months behind for Europe, not only for hardware but even for software that is EU compliant with languages.

It might just be my opinion, but think Switch seems poorly thought through at a high level. It not quite and handheld, it not quite a home console; so concession for each use case seems at odds with each other. They needed to scrap this project in my opinion.

They should have made a handheld that could be plugged into a TV. It needed stronger portable DNA: twice the battery power, more on board faster storage, and it needed to ditch the motions controls and RFID that had to be shrunk down into the Joycons. And they needed to 'dry run' the online service on Wii U for 18 months, so that Switch could have been using a Generation-2 version of what they planned.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its USB-C so im sure its easy to find a universal adapter.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By frytup

I really doubt that's accurate. I'd be pretty surprised to see a major piece of consumer electronics ship with a power supply that can't handle multiple input voltages in 2017.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: I think that is also USB-C so get another one if you dont want to remove the dock's ac adapter.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rethla

With 230V you will charge twice as fast.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: I know that Nintendo is still putting out 3DS chargers that don't handle both

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

Is there ever a time they provide a charger that works in any voltage outlet?

I assumed that stuff is always region oriented.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: every other thing I've bought recently can be plugged in wherever. Even my dishwasher!

Sure I need a $1 plug adapter for it, but I don't need a fully separate thing.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frytup

@mikemcn said:

Is there ever a time they provide a charger that works in any voltage outlet?

I assumed that stuff is always region oriented.

If you look at the markings on AC adapters, most these days will show something like "100-240v~" for input. This means they work over a range of voltages. You just need to buy a cheap little adapter that converts the regional plug standard the unit shipped with to the standard of the country you're traveling to and you're good to go.

Maybe Nintendo is actually silly enough to ship Switch AC adapters with limited voltage? I dunno. But I doubt it. What did the Wii U ship with? That's probably a clue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.