Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Do your JoyCons work correctly? (desync issue poll)

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By WynnDuffy

Poll Do your JoyCons work correctly? (desync issue poll) (189 votes)

They both work fine 45%
    They both work fine even when I try and disrupt them 11%
    The right works fine for the left has some issues 26%
    The right works fine for the left has some issues when I try and disrupt it 14%

I've tried with the controller grip and ungripped but I haven't been able to make my left JoyCon desync. I put it behind my back, behind my legs and the signal held up fine.

We might see some JoyCons being recalled if this is hardware defect.

Edit: Remember the issue is only meant to happen when the controllers are not attached to the tablet itself.

• 
    warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can you add a "i don't have a switch" option for those of us without a switch wanting to see the results? :)

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpr: Oops...can't edit it now!

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't tried to replicate the issue but have had no issues yet.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far so good. I sit about 10-12 ft from the dock and no problems yet.

jaminiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jaminiah

I found that removing my Apple Watch solved my left Joy-Con issue!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like we've all become a little too comfortable with using the term "Joy-Con".

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They fixed the issue with a firmware update.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671 said:

I feel like we've all become a little too comfortable with using the term "Joy-Con".

What does it even mean? Is it just a portmanteau of "joystick" and "controller"? Lazy Nintendo, lazy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@hunkulese: According to Digital Foundry, they didn't.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My brother is having this issue. Tried to find a Switch today but sold out everywhere. Havent bought a Nintendo console since GC. Wasnt sure I was going to get one, but with the zelda reviews figured I should.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671 said:

What does it even mean? Is it just a portmanteau of "joystick" and "controller"? Lazy Nintendo, lazy.

did you know the plural of joy-con is joy-con?

joy-con.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The official suggestion from Nintendo for this is pretty funny, just keep it away from:

• the back of a tv
    • aquariums
    • in or under metal objects
    • large amounts of wires or cords

And keep it 3 to 4 feet away from:

• cells phones, laptops, tablets, etc
    • wireless headsets
    • wireless printers
    • microwaves
    • wireless speakers
    • cordless phones
    • usb 3.0 devices

And if that still doesn't work, just power all of those off.
    Link.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The official suggestion from Nintendo for this is pretty funny, just keep it away from:

• the back of a tv
    • aquariums
    • in or under metal objects
    • large amounts of wires or cords

And keep it 3 to 4 feet away from:

• cells phones, laptops, tablets, etc
    • wireless headsets
    • wireless printers
    • microwaves
    • wireless speakers
    • cordless phones
    • usb 3.0 devices

And if that still doesn't work, just power all of those off.

Link.

Gonna be tough to use that smartphone app if you can't even keep your phone near you while playing lol

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'm having a lot of issues with them detached, both joy-con, sometimes alternating sometimes at the same time. I can't sit about 2 meters away from the main unit without them either being unresponsive, slow to react to inputs, or losing connection altogether. I've tried moving my phone and (powered off) laptop away without much success. When sitting within one meter of the unit the controllers don't lose connection and are merely unresponsive from time to time. I want to try moving the unit further from the TV but the HDMI cable isn't that long.

I'm thinking of picking up a Pro controller but since it's wireless I was wondering if anyone knew if they've been having similar issues. I'd like to have a way to play the system on my TV every once in a while.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ry_Ry

I bought a pro controller and so I've yet to remove the joycons from the Switch

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WynnDuffy

@xchairmandrekx said:

@ajamafalous: "Keep it 3 or 4 feet away from cell phones"

That's alright, it's not like there would be ANY reason why I would want to have my cell phone near me when playing the switch, especially when playing multiplayer games.

Christ Nintendo, get your shit together.

That advice is useless from my experience, I have my Switch on top of an AV amplifier near a wi-fi connected TV and next to a PC. My phone is always next to me and despite this no problems whatsoever. I've blocked the left JoyCon completely with my leg or by putting it behind me but it doesn't lose sync or stop working at all.

I really want to know what the issue actually is.

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Cathadan

@jacksukeru said:

I'm having a lot of issues with them detached, both joy-con, sometimes alternating sometimes at the same time. I can't sit about 2 meters away from the main unit without them either being unresponsive, slow to react to inputs, or losing connection altogether. I've tried moving my phone and (powered off) laptop away without much success. When sitting within one meter of the unit the controllers don't lose connection and are merely unresponsive from time to time. I want to try moving the unit further from the TV but the HDMI cable isn't that long.

Same issues here. (where's the poll option for both of them not working?) Moving the switch base station around to different places seems to make a slight difference in how bad the response time is, but it still made shovel knight completely unplayable in TV mode. If I absentmindedly cross my leg in front of the controller, the ~200ms input lag will increase to multiple seconds of lag, and a joycon will occasionally just give up and turn itself off.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Several teardowns of the Switch and JoyCon-controllers have been uploaded online. It seems that the disconnect issue is hardware related. The antennae on the JoyCon are small and unfortunately located right next to the metal rail which disrupts the signal. I'd fully expect a slightly redesigned JoyCon to be on the market by the end of the year.

Loading Video...

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: That guy's takedown is not good. That's not a ribbon cable, it's a flex. And the cable run for the antenna doesn't matter since the cable is coaxial, it is designed to reject signal intrusion (i.e. not be an antenna).

The entire antenna is that pack of circuit board on the end of the cable and the size shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-this-tiny-1-cm-2-4-GHz-Wifi-antenna-work-at-all

The key for antennas of this sort is placement. A PS4 or Xbox controller has a front surface which is furthest from your body and uncovered when the controller is held normally (i.e. that area between the bumper buttons). The problem here is with no "lobes" to grip on the bottom of the controller you put your hand around the top of the controller and cover the antenna.

Really Nintendo should have programmed separate "vertical" (i.e. one hand per controller) and "horizontal" (i.e. two hands on one controller) modes and designed antenna locations which would be unblocked in each case and used the proper one.

With the existing design I'm not sure what can be done since large hands (American, European?) will cover up a lot of the controller.

fleshribbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just getting my Switch delivered today. So, the word that the launch day firmware update resolved the Joycon disconnect issue is bogus?

afkbradshaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the left desync a lot and have to purposefully point it at the dock to avoid the problem. On a perhaps related issue, bizarrely my panasonic TV remote turns off both the TV AND the SWITCH ???!!

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play sitting 1-2 feet from my Switch. The only thing between the controller and the Switch is my body, and I've been having syncing issues every 3-4 minutes. It's driving me insane.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WynnDuffy

@fleshribbon said:

Just getting my Switch delivered today. So, the word that the launch day firmware update resolved the Joycon disconnect issue is bogus?

The firmware didn't do anything for the JoyCons, however, I have still yet to have any problems with either of mine.

To me this really points to a manufacturing defect and some people have received duds.

@afkbradshaw said:

I have the left desync a lot and have to purposefully point it at the dock to avoid the problem. On a perhaps related issue, bizarrely my panasonic TV remote turns off both the TV AND the SWITCH ???!!

There's an option for that in the Switch settings, most TVs let you disable that functionality too

afkbradshaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CreepingDeath0

Havent experienced a single issue with mine yet and between my girlfriend and myself the Switch has pretty much been in constant use since release.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Franstone

I've been having issues with the left joy-con like I've read about. Sitting about 7 feet away, unobstructed, post firmware update. : (

berrrnard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By berrrnard

I haven't had any issues yet, but I've mostly been using the Pro Controller.

I've also got my Switch about a metre away from where I sit, so I guess that would help a lot.

Avatar image for bombadjarjarfan
    bombadjarjarfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both left and right joycon have sync problems ONLY when attached to the switch. I detach them and play about 12 feet from my tv with no issues at all. But I can't play in handheld mode for 30 seconds without both joycon desyncing. Sometimes to the point that it prompts me to press L and R to connect, usually just not responding for 5 seconds or so and then kicking back in. Detached, I can use the grip without issue, and in each hand, under my leg, behind the back, all with zero problems. I do not get this at all, Nintendo!

creazd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having terrible, constant desyncing with my joycons but was able to fix mine. I broke it down and soldered a wire (a makeshift antenna) inside. It is now able to receive much stronger bluetooth signals and I've had no desyncing since. It's somewhat sad that a 2 cent wire could have fixed all of these issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.