Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

New Patent Might Shine Light on Future Nintendo Handheld Platform

• 111 results
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

If there's one thing that would turn me on this thing it's lack of tactile controls, sticks are good but more buttons please!

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The weird thing I find with all the Nintendo NX speculation is that people extol the virtues of the focus seeming to be a handheld/console hybrid. I mean... that's basically what the Wii U is (albeit not a fully-portable handheld) and the market did not want that. Add in the cost (in terms of both technology and unit cost) into a handheld device that has to function independently of a console base-station, and you have a recipe for another lackluster system that will do nothing to woo mainstream consumers nor third-party developers.

Springfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#106  Edited By Springfart
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@whitegreyblack The WiiU isn't really that, though. Off TV play isn't the same as a handheld. If the NX is truly a portable handheld/console hybrid I don't think it would be retreading old ground.

If this is truly what Nintendo is going to make their flagship system or the direction they want to go then I can't see Nintendo continuing to function as a hardware developer in the long term.

This will simply alienate 3rd party developers even further which any console will need to survive in between first party releades. Nobody will want to waste funds on developing for something so obscure when two more viable platforms are on the market. Innovation is great in increments that make sense.

I saw posts that were pretty much this verbatim in 2006. You could be right, I just thought that part was amusing.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide said:

@whitegreyblack The WiiU isn't really that, though. Off TV play isn't the same as a handheld. If the NX is truly a portable handheld/console hybrid I don't think it would be retreading old ground.

I'm not sure the venn diagram of console players and handheld players who want the same things will work for Nintendo the way some are envisioning.

I question the idea that people who want consoles want the games to also be scaled for a handheld, or that handheld players want console games shoehorned onto a handheld device (didn't work out all that well for PSP/Vita sales when that was the marketing pitch). There is a group that wants both of those things, but I don't know if it's a huge number.

I also question the idea that any third party will develop for something when the use case may change so drastically or require tweaks between the on-screen or on-device play. Of course, even when they had the Gamecube which was able to keep up or even occasionally outperform the PS2 and Xbox hardware, they played 3rd fiddle...

Sorry to sound negative; this is all just speculation since nothing will be known about this thing for at least 6 months (are people figuring on E3 2016 for a major announcement?). Nintendo always finds a way to be interesting even if it does not all go their way.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By hippie_genocide

@whitegreyblack: I think it's a way for Nintendo to leverage the successful side of their business to prop up the not so successful side of their business. It could be a collosal failure...I really don't know. Like, why hang the albatross of bad console sales around the neck of your handheld division that actually does well? Between the VR arms race and the public reaction to whatever the NX is, 2016 is shaping up to be an interesting year in videogames if nothing else.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bet the patent is for a Nintendo-like solution to the mobile market, and may not even be NX related.

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual on-screen "touch" buttons suck ass.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It looks like a less functional version of the Wii U gamepad with a smaller oval-shaped screen and fewer buttons.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Do they have the patent for the little character in these mockups? They need to make a game about that dude!

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmm.

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dietomaha: Dubious if only because it's too much like the patent drawings. I would expect the actual design to differ more from the early design in the patent filing.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I really hope that's not the final product. That screen is waaaaayy too tiny.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Hmm.

No Caption Provided

If those are touchscreen buttons I AM OUT

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#119  Edited By JJOR64

@bollard said:
    @dietomaha said:

Hmm.

No Caption Provided

If those are touchscreen buttons I AM OUT

This has been proven to be fake. LINK

EDIT: The image on the controller is from an Unreal 4 tech demo. Could be fake, could be real. Only time will tell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.