Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Okay, so what percentage of people bought this thing / will buy / won't buy?

• 71 results
    uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Okay, so what percentage of people bought this thing / will buy / won't buy? (664 votes)

I bought a Switch / Will definitely buy in next couple months when I have the money, etc. 35%
    I didn't buy a Switch but was considering it (skimpy launch lineup, hardware issues). Will probably buy it eventually 31%
    I was never in danger of buying a Switch and probably won't (or at least until there is a killer catalog of games) 33%

Everyone loves a good poll, right? I was wondering what percentage of people (on the forums anyway) bought a Switch because it always seems like everyone has the new shiny. Of course those people are talking about it because they have a new thing they are excited about and everyone without it has nothing to say. Where do you fall?

• 
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidman: you're among company here. most gb users want exactly that, sadly.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will get one when it's worth it.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kidman: you're among company here. most gb users want exactly that, sadly.

It feels weird to say all that, honestly. N64 is my fav console and Mario 64 is the best game I've ever played, but Nintendo's current hardware does not really give them any additional tools needed to create games. Zelda could have come out on PS4 or Xbox, no problem, and it would have been just as good if not better, but I ain't no video game analyst or anything, I just don't like buying hardware that I will play 3 games on.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ripelivejam

@kidman: to me the appeal is a unified nintendo game library and (ostensibly) console gaming on the go. oh and fucking goddamn monster hunter, goddammit. i'm about the biggest nintendo whore there is, so i'm sure my words should be taken with a grain of salt. :D

edit: and yeah ymmv on the thin library. i've picked up three games so far which should be plenty for awhile (had original shovel knight for 3ds but double dipped to getall the content on a much nicer, bigger screen). i'm good until binding of isaac (maybe) and then mario kart 8 in april.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidman: to me the appeal is a unified nintendo game library and (ostensibly) console gaming on the go. oh and fucking goddamn monster hunter, goddammit. i'm about the biggest nintendo whore there is, so i'm sure my words should be taken with a grain of salt. :D

edit: and yeah ymmv on the thin library. i've picked up three games so far which should be plenty for awhile (had original shovel knight for 3ds but double dipped to getall the content on a much nicer, bigger screen). i'm good until binding of isaac (maybe) and then mario kart 8 in april.

I envy you then, I really do. To me Nintendo is a Mario company/console. I'm not into Zelda (BoTW seems alright), Pokemon, Smash or Pikmin so you'll understand that I don't really have not cared for their hardware for quite some time - if there was a WWF No Mercy - style game for the switch, exclusively, I'll probably be in the store already though.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure why bitching about 3rd party support is even a thing at this point. Nintendo hasn't had good third party support since the SNES, and to a lesser extent the Gamecube. You buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games, with the knowledge that you will need either another console or a PC to play third party titles.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not sure why bitching about 3rd party support is even a thing at this point. Nintendo hasn't had good third party support since the SNES, and to a lesser extent the Gamecube. You buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games, with the knowledge that you will need either another console or a PC to play third party titles.

Well speaking as a Switch owner, I hope I get to play 3rd party titles on it -it's a pretty neat piece of hardware.

I do also have a PC, so I feel like I have my bases mostly covered.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By WynnDuffy
    @yothatlimp said:
    @hippie_genocide said:

Well speaking as a Switch owner, I hope I get to play 3rd party titles on it -it's a pretty neat piece of hardware.

I do also have a PC, so I feel like I have my bases mostly covered.

I think as long as it sells better than the Wii U and Vita it's certainly gonna have plenty of indie support, well that's already the case now with the likes of Thumper, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight and a lot more coming. The Shovel Knight dev said that it's incredibly easy to port to the Switch, taking only one week for him to port.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm not in the best situation to buy a Switch, but also there's no point. I have a Wii U and that system can run Zelda fine. (People rushing to buy a Switch just to play Zelda really puzzles me. Maybe it's just a lot of people didn't have a Wii U, but I figured the people excited for this game already bought a Wii U when Nintendo said this was going to be a 2015 game)

I will probably buy a Switch at some point, but there needs to be more. I may jump in closer to Super Mario Odyssey or when there are 3 to 5 big Nintendo games (sort of like I did when I eventually bought my Wii U)

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'll wait for Nintendo to start selling refurbished units at a nice discount. Same as I did with the Wii U. Save some money this way while also letting the system's library fill up a little before I dig into it.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one a few days after launch in Japan since they are not Region locked. I love it so far, except for the bad battery life. Great for work since it doesn't have a "Camera", and I cant bring cameras into work :D. Also, since I am in Japan I can get certain games faster then waiting in the states.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna try and wait a year but I need that Zelda. I'll probably get a switch once this onslaught of games settles down

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WynnDuffy

@mcshank said:

Also, since I am in Japan I can get certain games faster then waiting in the states.

Well I mean, anyone can now that Nintendo aren't hardware locking people out of the Japanese eShop.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the 'probably in the future' camp. Right now I have zero need for one. Zelda arriving finally justified my Wii-U purchase, so I would un-justify it if I got a Switch now.

I'm really curious what the 2018 Switch Fire Emblem game is going to be, so I'll probably take another look around then.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll have plenty to play right now (and not too much time either), but I'll buy a Switch somewhere this year. Zelda just looks too good and I like the portable mode of the console.

I'll probably sell my Vita first, though. :)

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By zaccheus

Really wanted to play the new Zelda + I don't own a Wii U = bought one. It seems really nice.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'm in the middle camp. I will most likely buy one eventually, but it's pricey (especially so once you start factoring in games and a Pro Controller) and I don't really have a great deal of reason to buy it right now. I have a Wii U to play Zelda, and while Snipperclips and Has-Been Heroes both look fun they aren't going to draw me away from all the other games coming out right now.

We'll get down the line a bit to when Splatoon 2 is here, and then perhaps we'll talk again. I'm a tad sad that I'll miss the Test Fire this month, but I don't really need it this time (last time it was quite handy as we didn't know quite how that game would pan out; now I already know I love it).

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm really on the fence about it. I know I probably shouldn't, but Zelda sounds preeeeeettttty good.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely buying it since there are a bunch of games this year that I consider a must-play and the other consoles either:

• don't have those games (BotW, Mario Odyssey) or
    • have too many negatives for me to pick them up instead (sigh, modern gaming)

But I most likely won't be able to get it anytime soon considering I'm looking for a job at the moment and don't have money to burn. Hopefully I'll have it sorted out by Christmas so I can snag that juicy Mario Odyssey bundle I'm wishing for!

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not likely.

I bought a Wii U during the last generation, to get to play games that are not on PC (namely, Nintendo games). In that sense, it was a success; but it also make me realize that it was ONLY good for those, and they are a handful that are worth the full price (Nintendo being Nintendo, it is rare or impossible to find discounted games for their platform, regardless of the time since release). Not worthy to have to spend over U$S 400 (console plus accessories) to play a few games.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
    TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a pretty neat system, but the launch line up hurts it. It's basically everything I wanted the Vita + Vita TV to be. All it needs is a library, and it'll work nicely in its niche.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not getting one. I'm arriving to the point where I actively dislike Nintendo.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'll keep an eye on the Virtual Console. If there are any GameCube games for sale that are worth replaying, I'll jump in. Haven't played a Zelda since Wind Waker.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.