Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Switch 2 seems delayed. Nintendo doesn't have much coming for Switch. What remasters or remakes would you like to see?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

About a month ago I posted that I was the least enthusiastic I'd been about gaming for a long time. Since then things have gotten a bit better and I've had a decent time with some games, but the first game that has really clicked with me in the way I was hoping one would when I made that post and sucked me in the way I wanted has been...Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe. It's a remake of a Wii game...and I think that's why it's working for me. It's simple, straightforward, cheerful, easy, and fun. I'm not a big Kirby fan and I dislike Star Allies, but Return to Dreamland, despite the price (I got it for $40, which still seems very high) is the kind of game that I can't help but smile while playing.

It's almost worth it for the soundtrack alone.

A lot of people had a similar experience with Metroid Prime Remastered last year, and the remake of Super Mario RPG. Nintendo has been churning out remakes and remasters throughout the life of the Switch (and I'm not even counting Wii U ports) but they've really ramped it up recently. It now seems like the big N has delayed their next console into 2025 and may have some slots in its schedule to fill. We already know that there's a Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door remake (and one of Luigi's Mansion 2) on the way but what other similar projects would you be interested in?

Personally I can think of a lot of Gamecube/Wii and even 3DS games that I'd love to see, as well as some earlier stuff (though those remakes would probably take a lot more time and money so might not be doable on a brief schedule.)

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 seem like the most obvious candidates. They are amazing games and we've already seen what a Metroid Prime remake can be. They have the engine and some of the assets, and frankly I'd guess they are already underway.

Likewise the Wii U Twilight Princess/Windwaker remakes that have been rumored for Switch forever should make their way over this year. I know I'd love to play them. Skyward Sword made sense in the context of Tears of the Kingdom, but that game's out now.

Kirby's Epic Yarn already got remade for 3DS but seeing that enhanced edition on a full sized console would be great. Remaking from 3DS to Switch is more resource intensive but Planet Robobot is considered the best Kirby game by many, so that's another option.

The original Luigi's Mansion to round out the trilogy would be great. Many consider it better than Dark Moon.

I'd love to see Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Switch. I absolutely loved playing Galaxy 1, which I'd never played before, when it came out. They should release a 2-pack with a touched up version of Galaxy and Galaxy 2, since Galaxy is no longer available (that's dumb.)

I also think that some lesser known cult classics would make for great revivals. Eternal Darkness may be a little complex in terms of rights, but it's a classic that more people should play, and a remake on Switch could really mix things up with different insanity effects using the hardware's unique gimmicks. Kirby's on my mind so making Air Ride available would be neat. Fire Emblem is big now so some of those games (especially the 3DS titles) could be remade, and the same with Shin Megami Tensei (technically not Nintendo, but I think they had some rights to it.) Similarly I think that F-Zero GX would be absolutely amazing in HD. It probably already is on emulators.

And then there are some other non-Nintendo titles like Viewtiful Joe and Zak and Wiki that would be really cool to see.

Obviously price is an issue and in cases where it's not a full remake like Super Mario RPG was I think the $60 price tag was too high, but both the Pikmin and Metroid Prime remasters were priced lower so Nintendo is open to that. Return to Dreamland Deluxe has just reminded me that to some extent they really don't make 'em like they used to in terms of straight forward accessible fun and I'd like to see more games like that available on modern systems and back in the zeitgeist. I think at least some of this stuff is likely if the delay is real.

Are there games others want to see?

Bribbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played all the way through Twilight Princess. Would love another shot

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for the love of god, WINDWAKER!

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mekon

I would love to own SM Party 3D, but they pulled the plug on sales before I even knew it had been made available. I didn't have any money to spare at the time which helps me get over it, but I really want to beat those godawful camera angles myself. eBay exists for that I suppose, but if the Switch 2 is back compat then the price won't drop as hard I'd think.

Getting back to the original point, I think it would be fun to have all the Mario Kart games per platform in one package (if it doesn't already exist), since I have a lot of nostalgia for that on the SNES.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ben_H

Wind Waker and F-Zero GX, mostly. I can't really think of any others that I'd want. I guess any of the other HD remasters they did on Wii U would make sense too since we know they already have the tools and knowhow to do those types of ports relatively easily.

An updated version of Viewtiful Joe, just in general, would rule. I replayed that game last year and it still holds up. That game still looks great but the textures, etc. are what age it. The base game itself still plays good enough that it doesn't feel old so a redo of the various graphical elements is all that it needs really.

Sandwich_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Rainbow re-release and translation!! or Arms 2

Sandwich_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh or Chibi Robo Battle Royale. 100 robos drop into a house and all have to clean it

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

For the love of christ we don't need more remakes and remasters, ever.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By judaspete

It won't happen, but Geist from the Gamecube could use a remake. Great premise, an FPS where you play as a ghost that possesses people, animals, and inanimate objects; but the controls were floaty, frame rate inconsistent, and the AI was bad. A remake that fixes those issues would be awesome.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With releases like Mario vs Donkey Kong, Super Mario RPG and Luigi's Mansion 2, I get the impression that Nintendo has been scraping at the bottom of the barrel for release for a while already. Not saying that these are bad games but Mario RPG could have been on the SNES Virtual Console if they have the license for it, and Luigi's Mansion 2 seems like it would be good value if it were bundled with the original game, but not sure about this title on itself. Nintendo of course has a massive library of great games, but they also seem to have a weird set of rules that nobody outside of Nintendo understands when it comes to re-releases and ports.

Wind Waker & Twilight Princess seem like obvious picks, but you would think they would have happened by now. I suspect that Nintendo thinks that it can't release them now since they just released them on the previous platform. Of course they did port Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3 from the Wii U but they could technically argue that these are new games because they have new content in them. If the Wii 2 delay is true then I think that they will reconsider these games. I know this is crazy talk but maybe it could be one bundle, both games for $60...

Metroid Prime 2 seems like another no-brainer but again you kinda feel that it should have happened by now. They may feel that if they release MP 2, they have to release MP 3 and there they get into trouble with porting the motion controls.

I could play Donkey Kong Country Returns again, but it would feel a little light by itself. Maybe bundle it with Tropical Freeze and they have an excuse to sell that game again.

Maybe some sort of a Fire Emblem bundle (maybe the GameCube or 3DS titles) would be a good one. But I don't know how well those games sold aside of being fan favorites.

I guess there's always Doshin the Giant, as I understand it would be the first time it'd be available in North America(?) so that would be a good reason to do it!

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dino Crisis 2! Sorry, force of habit.

My real answer is F-Zero GX. That's probably the only first-party game I really loved on the Gamecube. I've had a bizarre hankering for that Lord of the Rings rpg that was an obvious ripoff of Final Fantasy X, but no one should work on anything related to that one.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

How do you delay something that hasn't been announced? I have been expecting new Switch in 2025. If you're saying all of the "experts" who were saying it was coming in 2024 are now saying 2025, then I guess I would say, "No surprise."

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: EA made some good Lord of the Rings games back in the day. Now that WB owns the license to the whole franchise, seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to negotiate some remastered collections.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would love to see the remaster of F-Zero X and F-Zero GX, these two futuristic racing games have fun gameplay, awesome soundtracks, great looking race tracks, characters & vehicle designs.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wollywoo

I can't think of much I want at this point. Nintendo has already brought back most of its heavy hitters in one form or another. A Symphony of the Night remaster - or really, just a straight up port, since the pixel art seems to have aged well - seems like a no-brainer, and I don't know why it hasn't happened. Oh, and Final Fantasy Tactics seems due.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've never played Wind Waker, so it'd be nice to see that HD version they already did for the Wii U getting ported over.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bigsocrates  Online

In the partner showcase they announced Epic Mickey, the original Star Wars Battlefront games (which skipped Game Cube), Pocket Card Jockey (already announced I think) and Monster Hunter Stories 1.

Kind of a weird collection, though it was third party only so it's not like they were going to announce Metroid Prime 2.

Overall the partner showcase was better than I expected with a fair amount of interesting games, though nothing that would count as a big release. If Nintendo has one or two aces up its sleeve for later in the year this might turn out to be a decent final year for the Switch.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Boomblox, in some new capacity. All the Dragon Quest DS/3DS ports. All the Final Fantasy Tactics games. Much as I didn't like it, that Tales of the Abyss port deserves to be played by more people. And like Zeep said, Strange Journey.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chamurai

Kirby's Epic Yarn needs to be released again on a console.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigsocrates  Online

@sparky_buzzsaw: I actually like Boomblox quite a bit, but I don't know that the Switch's motion controls work well for it, and it would not work in handheld mode obviously. Maybe if Switch 2 has better motion controls it would make sense for it to go there?

The RPGs, of course, all make total sense.

@chamurai: They did that 3DS release so I kind of doubt we'll see Epic Yarn again soon, even though as someone who just spent a few months kind of not loving video games only to get sucked back in by a Kirby game (pun intended) it would be a day 1 purchase for me. As would Yoshi's Wooly World, which I think won't be released for the same reason. At least that one I got on 3DS. Never picked up Epic Yarn and now it's Epic expensive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.