Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

The Switch has no good games other than BoTW - A rebuttal

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HermanBloom

I keep seeing this posted in here and various other places and I am a bit confused. Maybe I am missing something but here is what I currently own (besides Zelda):

Shovel Knight - A terrific platformer

Puyo Puyo - A great puzzle game

SnipperClips - Another great puzzle game

I am Setsuna - A fun JRPG that won't rock any worlds but is good and shouldn't be ignored

1-2 Switch - yeah, allright, my Niece and Nephew love it but after 30 minutes it hasn't held my interest much.

With MK coming tomorrow.

So the Puzzle, Platformer, JRPG, Racing/MP and Open World genres are there with good or great games. And the machine has been out like 8 weeks or something.

I am no Nintendo fanboy, I have a PS4 and thoroughly enjoy it (well until the baby came along in January and since then it has gathered dust, but that is not Sony or NieR's fault) but it strikes me there are a decent options to pick up right now, that will last you ages?

Or are all these comments just actually meaning "there are no good exclusive games on the Switch besides Zelda, and MK imminently"? Which would seem a tad harsh so early in the machine's life.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thought MK was for Mortal Kombat for a split second. Got real excited/confused.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Maybe it is harsh, but I played Shovel Knight 3 years ago at this point and I am Setsuna has been out for a year or two at this point. I can't justify buying a machine when it pretty much lacks any good actual exclusives - even BotW came out on the Wii U so it's not an exclusive.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HermanBloom

Did the PS4 or xBox have many exclusives when they were launched? Genuine question. I seem to remember my PS3 and PS4 having very little on them initially.

Is this just a case of the other two being mid cycle, so therefore having a long library and the Switch not?

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Johnny_Sailor

I mean, I'd say it's on par for the course for a new console release. It usually takes 6 months to a year for the beginnings of a decent sized library of games to really start to form.

It's just easy to look at the PS4 and Xbox One, and see how many more games are available, but they've also had a years long head start.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its terribly wrong to believe that Zelda is the only good game on the console anyway, most of the games you listed are available on the PC as well. Quite a lot of people enjoyed I am Setsuna, I for one haven't touched it but I rarely heard bad things aside from the "we already had those games" arguments. And Shovel Knight as a whole is about as good as Zelda is anyway. Snipperclips also does seem to be great and one of the reasons I want a Switch.

Dunno what those people are on about. Give the console time as the "no game" situation will change thats just the normal circle with every new console being released. I'm pretty sure sales will also pick up over time.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christ i forgot SnipperClips. Have played that a fair bit with the wife.

Will add that to the list.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't think it has games other than zelda that are worth buying a system for. Ever since Nintendo stopped supporting third party i haven't had a reason to own a Nintendo console. The portability of it is intriguing though so i will keep a look out for good stuff in the future.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By csl316

Between Fast RMX, Binding of Isaac, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Blaster Master, and more... it's got almost too much because I just keep going back to Zelda. I've had it for two weeks and I already have a damn Switch backlog.

We'll see what happens with Mario Kart tomorrow!

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'll toss the remake of Dragon Trap into the ring too.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By clagnaught

I don't think the Switch necessarily has any issues at the moment and it will certainly be a success. But it still launched with not a lot of hullabaloo, besides the fact it also launched with Zelda.

The Switch needs to have new games coming in. I think back to the Wii U a little, with Mass Effect 3 (yippee) and that port of Arkham City. These are games, but not reasons why you would buy a new console. It took the Wii U like 3 years to get a good lineup of games that made you feel good about the system, but it still died early with the biggest game pushed off to sell another platform.

The games you mentioned are a plus and there are other ones I would throw in there. Playing The Binding of Isaac would be fun on a Switch. From this perspective, you can say the Switch right now is the final Vita killer. A solid platform that can run indies and smaller games on the go. Eventually it is probably going to get those random JRPGs and visual novels that helped gave the system life.

The "There are no other good games" argument will be dead before long and I'm most definitely going to buy one eventually. That said the launch is kinda weird, especially with the hope is this will unite all of Nintendo. You can't have a platform like that where people wait 6 to 12 months for one game. Mario Kart and Splatoon definitely feel like 1.5 versions of the previous games, so it goes back to the "These games are good, but still old" problem. I think we will have a better understanding of the legs this system has when Mario Odyssey finally comes out.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blackichigo

I think the "no games" arguement is a bit hyperbolic but not completely inaccurate.

My chief beef with the Switch as it stands right now, is that nearly all of its current games have come out on other platforms. Some of the did a few years. Most of them I have already played or dont have any interest in to being with. Even if I somehow did find the interest to play those games, it just makes better finacial sense to play them on systems I already have.

For me its a $400 Zelda box right now and that just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money right now for one game.

Im not saying the PS4 or Xbox didn't have the same problem at launch. I didnt buy a PS4 until it had been out for nearly two years and I had a great time with its library at that point in it's life.

Buying a Switch right now and waiting on a drip feed of fresh games im interested in, couldn't sound more unappealing.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Did the PS4 or xBox have many exclusives when they were launched? Genuine question. I seem to remember my PS3 and PS4 having very little on them initially.

Is this just a case of the other two being mid cycle, so therefore having a long library and the Switch not?

PS4:

• Blacklight: Retribution
    • Contrast
    • DC Universe Online
    • Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
    • Killzone Shadow Fall
    • Knack
    • Putty Squad
    • Resogun
    • Sound Shapes
    • Super Motherload
    • The Playroom
    • Trine 2: Complete Story
    • Warframe

Xbox One:

• Crimson Dragon
    • Dead Rising 3
    • Fighter Within
    • Forza Motorsport 5
    • Killer Instinct
    • LocoCycle
    • Powerstar Golf
    • Ryse: Son of Rome
    • Zoo Tycoon
    • Zumba Fitness: World Party

The lists seem fairly long (13 for PS4 vs 10 for XB1) but how many of them were worth playing / you'd have any interest in would likely vary. As well, some of the games listed above have since gone multiplatform like Contrast and Injustice. I know that neither console really sold me at launch and I only got my PS4 when inFamous: Second Son came out.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fast RMX and shifty are pretty great.

I had a launch ps4, fifa 14 was the best game...

Switch lineup is way better.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By odinsmana

The PS4 and XBONE didn`t have that many more exclusives at the time, but they had strong third party support. That makes it easier to justify buying them for a lot of people (especially if don`t have a up to date gaming PC). The only reason to buy the Switch is for the Nintendo games or for the ability to play a small amount of good, but old indie games on the go (which you could already do with a Vita if you have one which has a much larger library of indie games than the switch.) So with only a couple of Nintendo exclusives out (though they seem to be great) the console has few games that can sell it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've loved the switch and have always had something to play on it since launch. Zelda, Fast RMX, Snipperclips, Snake pass, Wonderboy, Graceful Explosion Machine,Blastermaster Zero, Lego, Human Resource Machine and even recently Bomberman's recent 60fps patch has made it so I've been playing a large variety of games to completion (well to the end) something I rarely no. As far as launch portable line ups get it's great and it's not a shabby home console one either, I think it being launched mid cycle means its being held to higher scrutiny but ive had plenty to play.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

PS4 is the Bloodborne machine

Switch is BotW, 1,2 Switch, Othello and Jackbox Party Pack 3 machine.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By RetroMetal

Here is my weird point of view.

Personally, if a game is multiplatform and it's on the XB1, PS4 and Switch (all of which I own, so platform isn't an issue) AND the Switch version holds up as far as performance, I'd prefer to have the Switch version. For portability, yes, but moreso for support of the Switch, because I want it to do well and have MORE titles developed for it.

I get the PS4 version of a game if performance is an issue for the title. I rarely get the XB1 version of anything unless it's just not on other platforms (that will probably swap from PS4 for performance to the Scorpio when that launches, but that isn't the case yet).

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zirilius

Maybe it is harsh, but I played Shovel Knight 3 years ago at this point and I am Setsuna has been out for a year or two at this point. I can't justify buying a machine when it pretty much lacks any good actual exclusives - even BotW came out on the Wii U so it's not an exclusive.

This is my feelings on the matter. If you hadn't played those games before than yeah the system seems alright but if you have played them then there isn't a big draw right now outside of Zelda. No system launch is perfect by any means but this just seems widely underwhelming.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Every system either has no games or tons of games. There is no in between tc!

When people say it "has no games" they really mean "doesn't have enough games that matter to ME to get me to justify me buying one." Every system goes through this, and Zelda is a much bigger launch title than most any system in the last 15 years have had even if isn't technically exclusive. But you can understand if people who aren't super into Nintendo's stuff will have reservations believing it will garner a significant amount of third party games that they can't play on other systems. Yeah Shovel Knight is great, but I already have access to it on four systems, including a portable (Vita). If the Switch becomes the console of choice in Japan (which does seem like the trajectory it's taking) then it will carve out a niche beyond Nintendo + old indies now portable.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can play all but two of those games on other platforms. Actually 1. MK8 is on Wii U.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shovel Knight - 2014 release, available on nine other platforms including two portables

Puyo Puyo Tetris - (depending on region) 2014/2017 release, available on six other platforms including two portables

Sniper Clips - switch exclusive

I am Setsuna - 2016 release, available on three other platforms including one portable

1-2 Switch - exclusive to switch

Mario Kart 8 - 2014 release, also available on the WiiU

All of this is to say that most of the other games released on the switch have been out for some time on other platforms. So, when people say that "there are no other good games on the switch" what they mean is that if look at games that are actually exclusive to the switch there is only a short puzzle game and mini game collection.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive discovered that exclusivity comes from the way you can play games rather than just owning a given game. (Feel free to jump to the next paragraph; I'm going to make a side point.) I've seen several people say "Shovel Knight has been out forever!" I played it when it first came out and nothing stuck with me beyond the ending. The new campaign that is only now coming out anywhere else has pretty consistently been called better than the original campaign, and I felt the exact same way. The story is engaging from start to finish, which I didn't think about the original. And the gameplay was much more compelling to me. You can even buy it by itself for $10, which is a steal if you have any appreciation for Shovel Knight.

Beyond that, I have consistently had something I loved playing on Switch, and while they're not exclusives, the way I can play them is. The ratio of games I've finished on PS4 and Xbox One is probably under 15%. Already on Switch I've played through two Shovel Knight campaigns, Zelda, Blaster Master (VERY underrated), Wonder Boy and Mr Shifty. The only games I haven't finished are ones that can't be, like Neo Turf and Mario Kart. But I still play those almost daily.

Many of these, I know without a doubt, I would have given up on any other console. But because I can crank out a ten minute level while going to the bathroom or pull it from its dock to do a shrine while I'm waiting for a video to encode, I find myself playing many games simultaneously while finishing almost all of them. Because I can play them whenever I have a free moment. And because of that, oddly, every game on Switch feels like an exclusive. For me, it's what I always hoped mobile gaming would become. But ultimately, I think if that appeals to you, you'll get a Switch and be glad you have it. If it doesn't, you'll avoid it and it's no sweat off your sack. So everybody wins!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Just put it this way; it's already doing better than the Wii U

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At launch, which was the original argument, there was nothing but Zelda and Snipperclips. Snipperclips is no good unless you have someone to play with. Obviously more is coming as time passes.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By colourful_hippie

@giantstalker said:

Just put it this way; it's already doing better than the Wii U

With a bar set that low, I'd hope so.

I'm enjoying my Switch a lot because I've bought in to the portable factor of it to the point of having a fat ass battery pack to extend the life to over 10 hours but the game selection is still lacking.

Most of the games out on it I would have completely ignored elsewhere. It's only because my library is sparse and my current living arrangements have me living away from my gaming PC and on the move that I can't use my PS4 all too much either that I'm desperate for new experience on my Switch.

Those who are on the fence should stay on the fence till after year when more Nintendo heavy hitters arrive. The indie dev scene still has yet to fully ramp up either

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zeushbien

I will very likely buy it when Mario Odyssey comes out, assuming it's good. But right now as some others have said, they really isn't any reason for me to buy it, seeing as I already own MK8 and Zelda on Wii U.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pompouspizza

It would be great if I could play the games that I own! I'm having to send my Switch in for the second time and I've only had it back for five days.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genericbrotagonist: And Fast RMX and Spectre of Torment. May not be for everyone but a lot of people love them.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When i was still not planning on buying a switch, I had balked at the lineup being 90% re-releases, and talked my fair amount of shit about it. Now that I have one, games like Isaac that i put no more than 30 minutes into on steam have consumed all of my free time. The portability really is a huge factor, even if its just on my lap as i watch TV. Fast RMX was great, but mario kart stole the show on that one. Shovel knight is another game i couldn't get into on a conventional platform, and the 3ds, as much as i love it, has far too small a screen for me to be immersed by. I have put so many more hours into puyo puyo tetris than i had ever dreamed, and even wonder boy has me enraptured. Basically the Switch is way more of something new than it sounds like on paper, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still wait for E3 and the messaging Nintendo puts out - if they make it reasonable to believe they focus all first party development on the Switch only, I will buy one in autumn. On the other side if they try to go back and forth in focus between 3DS and Switch the way they did it with the Wii U I will wait longer for the library to grow to a reasonable level before buying it.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo should really spend some of their resources on a steady stream of Wii U re-releases. Doesn't do the few million fans that owned a Wii U much good, but more the many more millions who are interested in the Switch, it gives them something to do while waiting for real new games.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate your rebuttal, but the lion's share of the Switch's content being old releases (old indie steam game releases, even) really does nothing for me. The only Switch game I cared about was Zelda... and I have it for the WiiU. If I cared about Mario Kart, I'd already have that for the WiiU as well.

I suppose the portability factor is the main draw here, as you can play all sorts of Steam indie games and WiiU games on the Switch wherever you are. The problem for me though is that my commute is really short and I have no interest in playing games when I'm out and about. I don't go to parks to stare at a screen. I don't go to a mall to sit on a bench and stare at a screen. Games have a time and a place, and that's not when I'm out in the field. I have absolutely zero need for a portable gaming device in my life. Besides, I tend to play a game once and then move on. As such, I'd rather that experience be on a big television screen or my computer monitor and not on a tiny, easily scratched screen between my hands. *shrug*

Rambling aside, I can see where you're coming from... but I think the people arguing about the Switch's dearth of new content have a fair point too. When two of your major launch titles are yet another port of Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac, I think you have a fairly self-evident problem.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can a brother get a better running port of Xenoblade Chronicles X?

meant2live218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

On the topic of "good games" being available for the Switch, I'll toss in my two cents:

I just picked up a Switch today. With it, I bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, because I skipped 8 on the Wii U. I already have Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, so I wasn't going to pick that one up twice.

The remaining "big" games that caught my attention (but I haven't picked up): ARMS, Snipperclips, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Disgaea 5. They're all interesting to me, and I'd pick them up if I had more cash lying around.

The "smaller" games that caught my attention: Mighty Gunvolt Burst (bought), De Mambo (bought), Death Squared, Thumper, and Tumbleseed.

Currently there are only a few "big" games on the Switch right now to warrant attention, but just looking at the lineup of upcoming releases, it looks like the Switch is going to become home to a number of indies, both big and small, as well as the one and only place to play Nintendo's heavy hitters, the first-party games. As a consumer who has just picked up a Switch for myself, I feel like yes, there is a sparseness to the Switch's available library compared to the wealth of titles on Steam, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some really great games on it. I'm excited to play the games I just bought on my flight tomorrow, and hope to be able to play Mario Kart and De Mambo with my relatives sometime soon. Sure, it doesn't have PUBG or Yakuza 0 or Hitman, or my personal time-eaters of Street Fighter V or Guild Wars 2, but it has its own fun selection of games that ranges from racing to puzzles to platforming to adventure to strategy to rhythm to fighting to shmup to RPG. Most of the major genres are represented in some way by at least one or two solid titles. For now, that's enough for me, and I'm just looking forward to expanding my collection over the coming few months.

P.S. My brother immediately had to try tasting the MK8 cartridge. There was some immediate regret shown on his face.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MK really got me messed up is there a Mortal Kombat game on Switch i kept thinking totally had to google "MK on switch" :D and then i got a Ethernet Switch :D. But yeah what's wrong with saying MARIO KART ! ( MK should be for Mortal Kombat and Only Mortal Kombat )

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*The switch has no good games I couldn't play somewhere else. Including BotW, which I'm playing on Wii U. I'm sure they'll get there but it might take a while. I'll maybe pick one up when they put out a new pokemon game if it's not based on a 25 year old design doc, again, for the twelveth time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.