Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

What should I get for safety?

Hurricrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I just picked up a Switch and remember hearing about a number of problems with the screen scratching and something bending back around launch. Is there something out there that can protect against those problems beyond a screen protector?

UltramanJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I’ve only purchased a glass screen protector. I don’t think you need anything else.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NTM

I think my brother wants to get a screen protector but, to be honest, he hasn't yet and I bought it in July and there has been no problem with the screen scratching. My brother likes to play with the system undocked when I'm playing another system, and that's been quite a bit recently. While I wouldn't say you shouldn't take care of the system the best you could, I'm not sure you need a screen protector. Just don't be careless. If you're really worried about it, just look here and perhaps you'll find something. As for the bending issue, I just read about that. There were reports of people's systems bending which I don't think you can fix yourself or with some accessory you can buy. If it happens, it happens and it's up to Nintendo to make better, more resilient hardware. That said, I am doubting your system will do that. However, if it does, Nintendo of America said "If you’re having issues where the Nintendo Switch appears bent or warped, please contact us so we can get that taken care of for you. You can contact us at Nintendo Support, where we can get a repair started for you!"

Hurricrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sounds like I might get a carrying case and that's it then. Thanks for the input.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would (and did) pony up for a reasonably durable screen protector as well as a carrying case. I went with the TAKECASE Nintendo Switch Case. I've owned TAKECASE's 3DS case for a couple of years now and have only positive things to say about the quality of their products. They're extremely durable, have plenty of space to store USB wall charger adapters and cables, plenty of games, and the system itself. The one knock you might have is that the case, because of its bent towards being hyper-durable, is a bit large. You won't be carrying this along in your pocket, but then again, you wouldn't be doing that with a Switch anyway.

PS -- Be sure you know the difference between the Switch's Sleep Mode and turning it off via its Power Options (which you access by holding down the power button). Storing a Switch inside a case while the console is in Sleep Mode can potentially damage the unit. The Switch tablet can "awaken" from Sleep Mode very easily, and in a confined space the fans can make the console get very hot.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I bought this case and it is a pretty well designed one that doesn't cost a lot. I have yet to dock my Switch, and that's where most of the bending and scratching complaints came from (although over time I'm not sure how widespread those issues are)

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a tempered glass adhesive screen protector, and put regular tape on the two vertical support rails on the interior of the docking station. That's it!

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much what other people are saying: get a tempered glass screen protector so you don't have to worry about scratching the screen in the dock or anywhere else and a carrying case for when you want to take it places.

jakoo_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By xanadu

As far as the whole docking/un-docking screen scratching goes...just take like 3 extra seconds of your life and slowly/calmly use the dock. I have no screen protector and it has no scratches. But I'm also the kind of person that doesn't use a phone case or screen protector. I just don't drop my shit. Easier said than done I suppose...

The only thing I would recommend for the switch is a carying device if you're going outside with it. It's definitely not like a 3ds where you can throw it in a backpack all day with non worries.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Nick

I made a dock-cosy out of a microfiber cloth and have been docking/undocking on average 2 or 3 times a day for the last 7 months. no scratches, no bends, no screen protectors (i hate them).

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I bought a Hori carry case which is pretty rugged for when I'm out, and made a cover for the dock using a microfibre cloth to prevent scratches and keep the screen clean when it's in the dock. Other than that near daily use and its been fine since launch day.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope this doesn't sound too crazy... I put a furniture pad, like you'd use on the bottom of a chair to prevent scratching your floor, on the inside of my dock.

It's thin, soft, and doesn't make it any more challenging to dock and undock the system. It provides just enough thickness that the screen never touches the plastic, and you can't even see that anything's there unless you really look. It's centred inside the dock. My Switch travels in and out of the dock plenty, and I'm scratch free so far...

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

kill3r7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seconded. Get a case of your choosing, most of the highly rated ones on Amazon are pretty good. Personally I prefer a slim profile one, so it can fit in my work bag, but otherwise there is not much of a difference between them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.