Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Shigeru Miyamoto Changing Roles at Nintendo [UPDATED]

• 186 results
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By selbie

@Lunar_Aura said:

Miyamoto health cover-up???

Try a little harder dude. Miyamoto has been in the business for 30+ years. Did you ever think he might just want to take it easy from now on?

Pikapichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By Pikapichu

Good for him. We'll see if he can come with anything that'll top the likes of Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By avidwriter

Oh boy here we go. So that means Nintendo doesn't have to go to him for approval for Mario etc games now?

Should be all expect a flood of shit? Honestly I don't own a wii, my dad does though. I don't care really either way.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Brendan

@GnomeonFire said:

I say it doesn't last long. The moment he comes up with an idea or innovation that won't fit into a small game he'll be back. The urge of the creative person to see something they dream about come alive, nothing can stop that.

Astute observation, I think it could last a couple of years, maybe. The guy probably has a million small ideas in the back of his head that have been constrained by his role at Nintendo for a long time so I bet he'll crank out some stuff before he wants more manpower again.

Of course we could be forgetting his personal life. Maybe he's doing this to spend more time with his family after many years of intense work life and wants a job in the industry that allows him more personal freedom. There could be myriad things.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By LoktarOgar
    "Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”

Next year, Indie Developer Shigeru Miyamoto presents...

Pikmin 3DS!
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Crushed said:

@kevtheasian said:

ok

Don't strain yourself with excitement there, chief.

i've stained myself with excitement.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By probablytuna

Looking forward to see what he can cook up.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By awadnin

I'm exciting to see his new game.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By DougCL

this sounds like good news. though i dont give a F about any of his games all that much.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#111  Edited By Trilogy

How funny/depressing would it be if he just made a low budget Mario?

Here's hoping for some new IP.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By artofwar420

@Anwar: Don't think Steve Jobs designed any games himself.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#114  Edited By Julmust

Yay, eShop games!

RaidenMitsuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By RaidenMitsuru

The man deserves a break.

SwedishPhish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By SwedishPhish

Considering most Japanese business hierarchies, this is sort of a surprising move. However, it's good to hear that he wants some of the younger folks to come out, if not help their ideas.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#118  Edited By Shaanyboi

@cuxun said:

If you play Skyward Sword you might understand his decision, that game didn't feel like his vision of Zelda.

i'd say that was for the better. I'd rather see some fresher faces tackle that franchise than have the same people handling it again and again.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By McShank

@SwedishPhish said:

Considering most Japanese business hierarchies, this is sort of a surprising move. However, it's good to hear that he wants some of the younger folks to come out, if not help their ideas.

I dont think Miyamoto has to even worry about asking to do this or even get in trouble with the company for doing this as he is basically Nintendo. Mario / Zelda are 2 of the biggest things in the company.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By deerokus

Nintendo have denied this.   

UPDATE: Nintendo has moved quickly to deny Wired.com's report that Shigeru Miyamoto is retiring from his current position.

"This is absolutely not true," a Nintendo spokeswoman told Reuters. "There seems to have been a misunderstanding. He has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation. He has no intention of stepping down. Please do not be concerned."

The denial comes as shares in Nintendo fell two per cent to 11,040 yen on Thursday, compared with a 0.7 per cent drop in the Nikkei average.

I bet he was all excited about getting to do what he wants :<
    PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121  Edited By PandaBear

This has already been denied by Nintendo (source). Great reporting again, Patrick. Unless you get a first hand account it's probably best to do your own fact checking.

"I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small" is what Miyamoto said. Not "I'm only making small games now, I won't be involved in Mario Wii U or any big projects".

Leave the sensationalism to Destructoid.

Campbell000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Campbell000

Oh man Patrick is going to be pissed when he reads that PR came out and said he's not stepping down. At least this story still holds up regardless.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#123  Edited By RichieJohn

@iAmJohn said:

@Darknezz said:

10 years later, Nintendo's newest IP is also its biggest and best, while Mario games have shown a sharp decline in quality, and a new Zelda hasn't been released since the 3DS game.

What? Did you play Galaxy 2 and 3D Land? Have you even heard of Skyward Sword? Am I being trolled here?

I was thinking that.

Sound's like someone who doesn't play Nintendo complaining about Nintendo.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#124  Edited By WickedCobra03

Nintendo is now dead to me. :|

...Seriously though... yeah I really hope he does come up with new games and characters... even if he just lays the ground work with smaller adventures, Nintendo is really in need of some new characters... not a whole new infusion... but just freshen things up... I mean pikmin in 2002 or whatever was I guess their last original character design.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#125  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Sounds great. I'd love to see something new and more unique from the Miyamoto. He's been iterating on old franchises for a long time, and coming up with motion controlled mini game collections for a while now. Hopefully working on smaller projects means he can spend more time on new and interesting idea's. That's not to say he didn't innovate in his more iterative games, but working on smaller projects means he can take even more risks, and hopefully come up with something amazing.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Eyz

Well, good for him!

A man in the "creative industry" (games, movies, comics, etc.) should be were he's more comfortable and creative at. He should be worrying about fanboys and nerds opinions.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#127  Edited By shodan2020

That's pretty awesome. It will be good to see Miyamoto doing some more games. I don't think there has ever been a "small" Miyamoto game. They all turn out to be pretty big deals, when they are released. :)

Hamaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Hamaji

Wow this sounds quite weird. But maybe its cause he's quite old. "No offense" Just saying.

But I think it's ok.

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Suits

I'd love something new with personal involvement from Miyamoto himself

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:

Sounds great. I'd love to see something new and more unique from the Miyamoto. He's been iterating on old franchises for a long time, and coming up with motion controlled mini game collections for a while now. Hopefully working on smaller projects means he can spend more time on new and interesting idea's. That's not to say he didn't innovate in his more iterative games, but working on smaller projects means he can take even more risks, and hopefully come up with something amazing.

This and this some more. He is too good to be resting on the same old franchises. The rehashing of old franchises I feel is what is slowly killing Nintendo as an innovative gaming company.

jayforone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By jayforone

Nintendo has come out and strongly denied this report. Not sure if they're in damage control mode, but their official stance is that he is not changing roles and wants to train the young talent.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By mbr2

Pikmin 3,4,5,6,7(?)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By hermes

@JayHayabusa: I bet they are in damage control. Miyamoto is a spokesman and a known quantity for Nintendo for years now. Although I think that his real involvement in franchises has diminished with the years, which is known by the gaming community, Nintendo may think its bad business if he says he won't work in Mario Wii U...

circle_of_iron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By circle_of_iron

Maybe this means they'll be some really good downloadables from Nintendo in the future...

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbr2 said:

Pikmin 3,4,5,6,7(?)

Exactly. God damn. 
    XtremePudim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#136  Edited By XtremePudim

While I am excited at the idea of more games made by Miyamoto, I can help but get flashbacks to Ken Kutaragi's " hey we won’t fire you but put you in a completely irrelevant position so we can keep paying you cause we feel honor-bound to do so" situation, which has been, in the past, the way that Japanese companies treat honored employees that aren’t performing that well anymore, not to say that Miyamoto isn’t, but we don’t really know the internal workings of Nintendo development. Anyway I really hope that’s not what’s happening in this case, and maybe he can make some really good download games for Nintendo.

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Bats

@LegendaryChopChop: Thing is, it's not killing Nintendo. They always always have a fresh new set of minds to imprint a new generation of Mari/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon on. They may be re-hashes for us that have been gaming for a long time, but consistently Nintendo games have been better made and better executed than a lot of their competition and they always sell like crazy. Heck 28 Million for Mario Kart Wii, does that sound like a failure to you? There are people who would die for that kind of sale.

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#138  Edited By CyleMoore

This is crazy but also great news, good for him! Hopefully he can come out with another great new IP.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#139  Edited By Commisar123

I don't have a love for the guy, but this seems like it could only be a good thing

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#140  Edited By Ronald

@Campbell000 said:

Oh man Patrick is going to be pissed when he reads that PR came out and said he's not stepping down. At least this story still holds up regardless.

I have a feeling this might be syntax and nintendo trying to spin things since their stock took a big hit from the initial Wired story. I would not be surprised if he is moving into smaller projects where he can stretch himself and allowing the guys working on the big guns far more freedom than they have had without having to run everything through him. Because let's face it, Mario and Zelda games are going to sell, no matter who is behind them. But he's not "stepping down". Also, I can't fully trust an article when half of it is about how the 3DS is a huge flop without doing any actual research into how it has sold, especially in relation with Nintendo's other handhelds.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#142  Edited By RuthLoose

Hopefully, Miyamoto will be able to oversee projects big and small.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By Tesla

It would be cool if he started making iOS games.

Even though that won't happen it would be the perfect environment for him. Every wacky idea he has he can turn into a bite size bit of fun for a couple of bucks, without the need to take that initial idea and find a way to make it work in a full priced retail release.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By JCGamer

I think that Miyamoto is kind of like Spielberg nowadays--meaning that he gets a lot of credit for projects where he has minimal input and is sort of past his prime. I love Nintendo and his old games but Nintendo is really behind in modern game development in a lot of ways. Yes, they manage to innovate on some fronts but in others they just don't seem to want to keep up with what people consider "standard features" (like on-line, DLC, demos, voice, etc...). I think that a lot of things that keeps Nintendo from trying newer things is Miyamoto (isn't he the one that refuses to allow achievements for games?). Perhaps having some younger blood with him as a mentor would help allow the company advance.

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By LassieME

As long as this guy keeps making Nintendo games I am going to buy nintendo consoles.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By CaLe

"Please do not be concerned" is a very Japanese thing to say.

CanItRunBF3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By CanItRunBF3

Thats a very appropriate comparison. Both men created many classics in the 80s and 90s, and have each created only one great release in the last ten years. Both are seemingly out of fresh ideas, and recent updates to once cherished franchises have not lived up to expectations. Both men also get their names attached to tons of projects every year, as producers or consultants. It is unclear how much actual effort or imput either provide such titles, and it is safe to assume their respective companies just put their names on every new release to generate more sales. If anyone disagrees with this, I guess they also believe that Tom Clancy is writing the characters and plots to ten Ubisoft games every year for the last decade....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#148  Edited By Hailinel

@patrickklepek said:

The odds of this being a gigantic mistranslation during the interview don't seem great, when you consider that Miyamoto is rarely interviewed without several Nintendo reps flanking him. It's certainly possible that his role shift is not something that's happening in the immediate, and that his talk with Wired simply jumped the gun in making it known. Or maybe his translator really is just that bad. I don't know.

You'd be surprised, Patrick. Sites like Kotaku have badly misquoted Japanese developers, including staff from Nintendo. (Not that that site is particularly concerned with anything considered quality.) Miyamoto's translators could have been crystal clear in their meaning and a writer could still screw it up because hey, internet clicks.

CanItRunBF3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CanItRunBF3

I mean I HOPE that Miyamoto's decline is to blame on Nintendo just using him as a marketing ploy. If they are actually leaning on him for ideas nowadays and all he can come up with is Mario 64 in SPace or Mario 64 in SPace: Now with Yoshi, then that makes me sad. I HOPE his E3 garbage performance for Wii Music was a photo op, and he didn't actually make that game hiself. Maybe its all true and hes just washed up, who knows.

CanItRunBF3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By CanItRunBF3

Whats wrong with Kotaku? Did you just say that because Patrick works for a competing site, and you think he might be friends with you if you trash it? Kotaku is a pretty good site, and there's nothing wrong with its quality. At least they never charged my CC when they linked me to youtube videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.