Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Let's talk about ways this game could organize better

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I remember this being a hot topic around the time of Destiny's launch, and the similar interface has got me thinking about a lot of things Hello Games obviously overlooked when it came to planning the UI and general user experience of No Man's Sky.

(I'd also like to note before the meat of this post that I've been playing since I woke up at 6:30AM CST with a few short breaks to read forum posts and make lunch...it is now 4:00PM CST. I'm loving the game but these things have been frustrating me a bit.)

The foremost thing on my mind right now is not having a database for the different elements you come across in the world. They shouldn't have stopped at flora and fauna scanning, the planet databases should have a log of the different elements found on their surfaces as well. Furthermore, if there are so many waypoints in the game I believe the locations of both the flora/fauna, and these hypothetical material logs, should be included alongside their physical traits. Especially in the case of the flora since there is no registered detail about them at all, making it hard to go back and take a look at that really weird potato tree again if you want. Not only that, but those waypoints should actually be waypoints. They aren't lying when they say these planets are planet sized, but currently marked locations don't stay up on your screen (or at least pop when you hit the scanner) long enough or at all and it can make it a bit difficult to figure out where you're going or remember if you've been to that area of the planet before.

As it stands, I really want to craft an upgrade for my multi-tool that essentially turns the pistol function into a shotgun because the gunplay is pretty rough in this game and I think the spread would be great, but I can NOT remember which of the eight planets I've been to was the one that had Copper on it, or where that Copper was on that planet, so I'm just wandering the galaxy aimlessly looking for Copper. This game doesn't give me the impression that it wants you to feel lost in the immensity of space but in awe of it. Currently I'm beginning to feel more lost than in awe because I want this one specific thing and can't find it (I'm also not following either of the pre-set paths in the game so I don't have any more clear objectives for myself than to get this shotgun so I stop dying when rapid beasts sneak up on me from behind).

Additionally, though I understand this may be an impossible task, it'd be nice to have some kind of crude map for these planets, or at least a map of their individual solar systems.

Another thing I think they should try to reconfigure is the crafting system. The default limit of inventory slots is already a little absurd, and the fact that in order to craft an item you MUST have an empty slot available to put it in makes this awkward dance, particularly with Warp Cells, where you're moving back and forth from one block to the other three different times if you're starting your build from the basic Suspension Fluid. I don't mind if it remains a three step process since the material path for that item seems to compliment itself pretty well but don't make me throw something away and do the slot dance just to build it.

The last item on my list for now is the discarding of items; again, if we have such a small inventory, I really wish that you could just drop pouches on the ground and come back for them later, or have some kind of international storage vault to leave excess materials in in case you need them later. Almost all the rare/uncommon materials are somewhat useless to me now but I'm sure I'll need them later - as it is right now I feel sort of dumb mining all kinds of things that sound cool only to have to dump them all fifteen minutes later because I'm out of space and have no current needs for them. Mostly it's coming across caves and wanting ALL the relic cubes I can get, so I end up dumping EVERYTHING just to stockpile them. Sure, I have nearly 1,000,000 units in my wallet already so maybe it's a way to balance the game not letting you stack items of that great a value, but I've started feeling like I take one step forward, two steps back with regards to everything BUT my wallet, haha.

I think this would also smooth out an odd logic issue where you can transfer items from your suit to the ship at any time while you're out in the world, but if you're "too far away" from the ship you can't bring anything back over to your suit. What's the difference? If you want to ask some preparation of the player, give us a vault that we can only access via the galaxy store outlets and let the suit and ship trade freely.

That's all from me, anyone else notice anything or perhaps found work arounds for some of these issues?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Devil240Z

I really wish you could easily plot courses to places you have been to before. The galaxy map is beautiful to look at but full fucked to use.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

1. Some sort of map overhead view like you occasionally get when tagging a waypoint, at least when you are in your ship. As you said, the icons don't stay on the screen near long enough.

2. The ability to pick an icon and "auto-fly" to that point. It's obnoxious to fly towards a point, have the point get lost under you because your ship gets too close, and then land to find you're actually still 3:00 minutes on foot away.

3. Some sort of "auto-sort" for the inventory.

4. Just make inventories a block, not these squiffy weird shapes. If I have 12 slots, it should be 3 lines of 4 blocks, not some oddball Tetris piece.

5. Custom waypoints. If I find a cache of resources I need and want to come back to, I often can't find it again later.

6. In terms of combat, the movement could be vastly improved. The way the game controls, enemies can almost always turn faster than you can and the game has a strange accelerating pull to how you turn. You move super-slow initially and then seem to move almost uncontrollably fast the closer you get to the edge of the screen. Makes it really hard to aim at anything accurately.

I said this in another thread, but it feels like Hello Games focused so much on the bigness of the game that they forgot a lot of quality of life stuff that would make the game more playable.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By monkeyking1969

@lawgamer said:

2. The ability to pick an icon and "auto-fly" to that point. It's obnoxious to fly towards a point, have the point get lost under you because your ship gets too close, and then land to find you're actually still 3:00 minutes on foot away.

I was thinking if they allow you to quickly press "land" twice you would just auto-hover. That way you can spin in place to look for a spot where YOU want to land oriented the direction you want to face.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

4. Just make inventories a block, not these squiffy weird shapes. If I have 12 slots, it should be 3 lines of 4 blocks, not some oddball Tetris piece.

Well, to be fair they do that on purpose to take into account that your ship is odd. If it was block you could just set everything up nice and tidy and get all the perks set up in rows. The method they have makes some ships/designs better...or easier to make powerful. I think the more asymmetrical your ship the more asymmetrical the arrangement...but there is a method to the madness of the arrangement in any case.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I talk too much in this thread...but I had a thought.

I think there should be a way to make an module that takes ALL of the refill gauges for other stuff on your suit. To make this module teh player, collects 250 Copper, 250 Zinc, 250 Carbon, 250 Iron, 250 Plutonium, and 250 Herdinium, and 250 Platinum (seven of the basic elements). Once made, their in only ONE GUAGE on your suit, and you feed in 250 plutonium every seven in-game days. You cannot re-fill it until it is empty, so there is a small risk if caught out, but it stops the nagging so it worth it.

Of course to collect that much of the elements would take room to build/collect, so only folks that have gained slots could do it. Yet, all those element are easy to find or buy. So, with some investment in resources, time, and energy you turn off all the alarms so you can EXPLORE. Hard to make, costly to make, but worth it. Just an idea.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I mostly just want a way to turn off flight assist so I have more control when flying on a planet.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePanzini

With procedural generation you'll often see things repeat No Man's Sky doesn't help itself by always putting Platinum in the blue plant, Zinc in the yellow one Thorium in the red with Plutonium in the red crystal and so on, it makes every planet feel more samey than it needs to be.

1. Scrap the need for fuel in the take off thrusters its annoying.

2. Put elements in random items which you have to scan to find, but use consistant logic platinum would always being a rock undergroud in a cave.

3. There no gas giants because they have no gamey purpose which is stupid, why can't you say use iron to build a condenser to extract from a planets atmosphere you could use a ship scanner to find out what the planets atmosphere is made of.

4. There needs to be more things to do in space a Rebel Galaxy bounty / trade system would be a perfect fit.

5. The solar systems should have more variety red giants, brown dwarfs etc and they should determine what elements would likely be in said system. A planet shouldn't be ice cold with the moon being red hot.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pin a recipe and then be able to scan for the ingredients in space and on planet surfaces.

Also; not crash. I've been putting it down because the game crashing so frequently and tried it after the patch; 10 minutes in and crash (PS4). I'll try it again when the next patch hits... :/

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pinned items need to show up while shopping. I can never remember the amount of the items I need and dropping out of the shop to open my backpack and then go back to the shop gets tedious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.