Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

No Man's Sky Next Generation announced

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

From the PlayStation Blog post:

• Haptic controls: From the satisfying feeling of firing your boltcaster, to the gentle nudge of a building part slotting into place in a space habitat or the firm click of the trigger in your interstellar ship – haptic controls allow players to feel immersed in an alien world as never before.
    • Fuller worlds: Next generation hardware allows No Man’s Sky’s procedural generation to create lusher, richer and more densely populated universes than ever before. Planet surfaces are even more detailed, with thousands more rocks, alien grasses, and exotic flora on screen at any time.
    • 32 player multiplayer: For the first time on console, up to 32 players can join forces to build, survive, fight and explore the galaxy together.
    • Advanced audio: Immersion has always been a pillar of No Man’s Sky. Thanks to PlayStation 5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech, players will be able to soak in the ambience of an alien planet, or feel a ship fly overhead like never before (You can find out more about PS5’s 3D Audio here.)
    • 4K* at 60FPS: On PlayStation 5 players can experience the universe in pin-sharp detail at higher framerates.
    • Ultra visuals: Explore alien vistas with improved shadows, greater draw distances, thousands more objects on screen and improved lighting and volumetric effects.
    • Vast base building: Players can now work together to build huge off-world colonies, with the ability to construct and render far more vast and complex bases on screen.
    • Warp-speed load times: Explore the universe instantly with 5-10x reduction in loading times. On PS5, you can warp from solar system to solar system in an instant.
    • Crossplay: PS5 explorers will be able to join together with other adventurers on all other platforms, including previous generations.
    • Upgrading from PS4 to PS5: Not only will previous owners of No Man’s Sky on PlayStation 4 be able to upgrade their game to PlayStation 5 at no extra cost when PS5 launches in their territory, but their progress can be carried across to their new console.
    • PlayStation VR: No Man’s Sky is fully playable in PS VR on PlayStation 5 by virtue of its backwards compatibility functionality.
    • An evolving game: Just another step on the evolution of the best-selling title, No Man’s Sky Next Generation will come preloaded with the previous four years of huge upgrades from day one. Join in the journey at our most important moment yet.

I know it's a bit weird to be excited about a next-gen update to a 4-year-old game... but I'm pretty excited. Anyone thinking about coming back to No Man's Sky?

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

• Fuller worlds: Next generation hardware allows No Man’s Sky’s procedural generation to create lusher, richer and more densely populated universes than ever before. Planet surfaces are even more detailed, with thousands more rocks, alien grasses, and exotic flora on screen at any time.

This was always my biggest disappointment in this game, and while this sounds promising, I'm guessing the reality is they just moved some sliders up more and it won't actually make a huge difference or make the dense ecosystems I was always hoping for. The game never ended up being for me but I'll always be impressed by the amount of effort Hello games put into turning the perception of this game around, and it's cool to see them still doing it for no charge.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said this during the next gen Witcher 3 upgrade was announced, but I can't wait to see how many frames I'll lose.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I played a dozen hours at launch and enjoyed it, but put it down waiting for updates.

Years later, there have been so many updates that I've been wanting to hop back in. With this upgrade I think I finally will.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I want to know is if this will go to other platforms, specifically PC.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@colourful_hippie:

Sean Murray's twitter has it listed as a free upgrade for PS5/XB/PC.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't plan on buying a PS5 for a while but I will definitely take advantage of this when I do. I've played every update of this game except for the newer Desolation update and enjoy crafting/survival games but it would be cool to see cities and colonies on some planets. I'm not sure how they would pull that off without all of them looking the same though.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By asmo917
    @vincentvendetta said:

Haptic controls: From the satisfying feeling of firing your boltcaster, to the gentle nudge of a building part slotting into place in a space habitat or the firm click of the trigger in your interstellar ship – haptic controls allow players to feel immersed in an alien world as never before.

This 100% has me interested in coming back. But NMS is one of the few games I bought on disc for the PS4. Have Sony detailed how or if this upgrade works for disc-based purchases?

Edit: found it. It's as expected, the PS5 will read the disc, you need to download something from the store, and keep the disc in to play. Pretty reasonable. https://support.playstation.com/s/article/upgrade-ps4-games?language=en_US

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, it's just a next-gen upgrade? I was hoping it was a sequel. I've never played No Man's Sky but I appreciate the ambition behind it and also how they've managed to keep chugging away despite the poor reception to make something a lot of people seem to enjoy.

Personally, I can't see myself enjoying a 100% procedural game working if it's based around exploration. A roguelike, yes, because that's based around challenge and risk/reward. But exploration... it would seem somehow empty to make any discoveries if it's all random. Games like BOTW and Outer Wilds show how to do exploration right - and it's about having minutely crafted, intricately planned worlds with interesting characters to talk to and stories to uncover. It's all about peppering the universe with little secrets that hint at beautiful things just out of reach. Now Outer Wilds 2... that's a game that would make me upgrade to next-gen.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not played it in a while, and didn't play it for long. Is it still random drone enemies on (seemingly) every planet, as the aimless exploration stuff appealed to me - I just like flying around in space - but the drone attacks at every location I tried took the shine of each visit.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny to think about how utterly groundbreaking that first trailer was when they left the planet and landed on another. People cheered and clapped at that. Now that same idea is just... boring. It's overdone. I respect what they've done with the game since release but I jumped in about a month ago and the game is just... lacking something for me. It's very nearly there, though, for me. Also there's the issue of the game looking amazing to me at release, but, now, even with all the graphical upgrades and me having a beefy GPU, this game is starting to look dated. Even the trailer's graphics look dated to me. Needs a big graphics overhaul now. For people who haven't played it I think it's a great game, though.

@tdous said:

Not played it in a while, and didn't play it for long. Is it still random drone enemies on (seemingly) every planet, as the aimless exploration stuff appealed to me - I just like flying around in space - but the drone attacks at every location I tried took the shine of each visit.

No! They recently changed that. There are now planets with zero sentinel patrols. Now sure the ratio but I ran into a couple of those planets when I jumped in for a day to mess around with the update. Not sure how long it's been since you played, but there's also instant teleportation between any station/base/(and freighter I think). And the anomaly is now a massive hub area where you can see dozens of players running around.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Now if only they could make the KB/M support a little better.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hell fucking yes to all this. I kept coming back to that game after the updates and being wowed at the commitment they had in really fleshing out their promise. I've kind of just been waiting for the perfect time to really sink my teeth into it though and actually giving it a proper chance again post launch. An upgraded version for new consoles seems like the perfect way to do that.

Anayway; cool to see them going for more and more with this thing. Proving being a disappointment at launch doesn't have to be the end of the world, or the end of a game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda off topic but, I wonder if the ps5 haptic feedback would work on the pc? That may be worth upgrading my 360 controller lol.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Humanity

Lord knows I tried to like No Mans Sky but it honestly felt like the game was trying to make itself the least fun it could at every point, even after all the massive updates. Cool that they continue to hammer on it, and I know there are folks that clicked with it, but for me personally it was always the least fun type of busywork.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@humanity said:

Lord knows I tried to like No Mans Sky but it honestly felt like the game was trying to make itself the least fun it could at every point, even after all the massive updates. Cool that they continue to hammering on it, and I know there are folks that clicked with it, but for me personally it was always the least fun type of busywork.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The new trailer looks gorgeous, but honestly the game already looked fantastic, and "not looking good enough" was never the reason I struggled to find it engaging. It was endlessly having to manage limited inventory slots and life support systems, spending far too long staring at bad rock textures in order to mine enough fuel to keep your spaceship in the air, and the general open-world clunkiness. I know that after X amount of hours you upgrade your equipment to lessen that management aspect and let you focus more on exploration, but it's still there in some form.

Also there's consistently been misleading "procedurally generated" creatures in trailers for No Man's Sky which, while hypothetically possible, have never accurately reflected the kind of monsters you're ultimately going to end up seeing when you travel around the universe. Think less Monster Hunter and more Spore.

No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@humanity said:

Lord knows I tried to like No Man's Sky but it honestly felt like the game was trying to make itself the least fun it could at every point, even after all the massive updates. Cool that they continue to hammer on it, and I know there are folks that clicked with it, but for me personally it was always the least fun type of busywork.

I like where it has gone, but the game is a slogg to play. I can appreciate their way of doing things but ist just no the direction I would have gone.

- I would have wanted stellar system to work like system with star(s) in the middle and planets orbiting. Its a small thing but I that just seem more realistic. The ships just would have needed computers and you choose your destination...if you want to free-fly go ahead.

- Start somewhere safe and then move out to less populated planets. Some planets pristen and some polluted by industry or war.

- Fifty of sixty sentinet alien types. Some aleist speak a lingua franca, or bridge language so that if you know Gek, Vy'keen, Korvax, or Traveler you can speak with them in that. But you get special insight if you learn each of the sixty languages. Some languages require making translators that fit to your suit.

- Planets should have poles and equator is they hold semi circular orbits. They should have more weather if their surface temp varies or and even season if they slowly wobble.

- Some planets have low gravity and some have high -spine breaking- gravity.

- Functional rivers and oceans, that if the plants has tides, will rise and fall Water flows from high to low. Rain and snow melt makes water move....or ocean of methane, or carbon dioxide ice....you know ACTUAL PLANT SYSTEMS AT WORK!!!

- One of the inventions early on are robots probes that GATHER RESOURCES! The player can gather some of their own, but 90% of it in the mid-game should be totally automated

- Stars should be realistic from white dwarfs to Super Red Giants, following the Morgan-Keenan spectral values. There should be burned out dead cinder stars, nuron stars, and black holes too.

- 90% of planets should have no buildings, no trade ships, no stellar port facilities, no crash sites, no boxes and/or loose gear. 10% of planets should be inhabited having varying degrees of buildings, trade ships, stellar port facilities, crash sites, no boxes and loose gear. On you reach a tech level to INVITE space stations, trade facilities run by allies and all the rest you can lure if you want more contacts and more facilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.