Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Will No Man's Sky support Playstation VR?

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Poll Will No Man's Sky support Playstation VR? (95 votes)

yes 58%
    no 42%

There have been recent hints that the last delay No Man Sky's might be tied to an addition of playstation VR support to the game

-they're both supposedly coming out around the sometime

-both devs and sony pr have alluded to VR support for the game

-No Man's Sky would be a perfect game for VR and could be Sony's killer app to push units

What do you guys think?

• 
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#1 fisk0  Moderator

It's feasible, I guess. The genre is a perfect fit for VR, and the game's art style is such that the graphics could probably be scaled back without it really detracting a lot from the game.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

It seems like a really good fit.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By splodge

Most definitely. I'm no code monkey, but wouldn't their algorithm driven production suit VR really well?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I doubt that Sony will even support PlayStation VR longer than a year or two. Just look at the PlayStation Move for evidence.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

Most definitely. I'm no code monkey, but wouldn't their algorithm driven production suit VR really well?

I don't think it would be any better or different than regular old video game level design. I don't know exactly how their algorithms work (it doesn't seem like anyone does, or they're at least just not telling) but I can't see it being a whole lot more efficient than just loading pre-generated content.

The issue with VR is that if you want 60fps, you've got to crank out two images at 60fps, or what basically amounts to the same processing power required for one image at 120fps. You don't need 1080p for both eyes, so that mitigates things a bit, but we're still talking about needing at least 60fps at fairly high resolution if you want to get 30fps VR, and PS4 isn't exactly regularly hitting the 60fps mark. The hardware might also mitigate some of this, but the more it does, the more it will cost.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I highly doubt it and also on a personal level hope that it does not.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'll go against the grain by saying, while No Man's Sky might support it, it won't be an official "VR" game.

How does that work, well it works just like 3D games in the past. You could play various games in 3D on a capable hdtv, but you didn't have to. Some of those 3D games were even fun; I heard Killzone 3 was rather good in 3D despite some graphical trade-offs

In my estimation, you will be able to play No Man's Sky on the headset, but it won't be the recommend or necessary to be played that way. Something about Sony not talking about it in that way -so far- tells me that Sony is not pushing this game to be any sort of figure head of VR. In fact, I'd say when VR comes out there will be a number of games where VR is possible or patched in.

No Man's Sky? Firewatch? Gone Home? Those games have just come out, they are first person and they don't require a ton of running or complex interactions. Some VR patching would be worth it to just fill-out the library quickly.

I think Sony will have two or more tiers of VR games. Some will be made top to bottom to be played in VR, but that will be the smallest group. The second larger group will be games that can be played on a HDTV, but are enhanced and work very well with VR too.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Doesn't vr have to run at like 90 fps or else people get sick? I know the game is targeting 60 fps on ps4, but I don't know if that's enough.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a, "duh" option.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. At least not the main game. Maybe they'll be a VR spin-off somewhere down the line.

If it was there from the start they would have mentioned it by now, and I imagine it's too late to just add that kind of thing to a game already well into development.

But who knows what the hell is going on with that game behind the scenes. You could tell me they plan to individually print each disc cover with a different part of the in-game universe map and I would believe it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a, "duh" option.

Like duh it will or duh it wont? I'm in the duh it won't camp.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z:

ooooh.... Yea, that was a little vague. I'm in the opposite camp in that it will.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By conmulligan

@rongalaxy said:

Doesn't vr have to run at like 90 fps or else people get sick? I know the game is targeting 60 fps on ps4, but I don't know if that's enough.

PS VR has a feature called "reprojection" which uses a combination of motion data and frame interpolation to bump 60Hz frame rates up to the display's maximum refresh rate of 120Hz. I have no idea how well it works in practice, but in theory the technology should allow for playable 60Hz VR games.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devil240Z

@ericjasonwade: To me its just seems like the game has had a very troubled development and attempting include VR support could just kill the game. Unless VR is what has caused the trouble over the last year then hopefully it comes together in the end.

Also I mostly assumed your position, I was just being catty.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

Scuttlebutt has been that No Man's Sky was delayed to 2016 because it wasn't running well on the PS4, and rumors say PS VR too. No clue how accurate that is but I'd say it seems like a good fit.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scuttlebutt has been that No Man's Sky was delayed to 2016 because it wasn't running well on the PS4, and rumors say PS VR too. No clue how accurate that is but I'd say it seems like a good fit.

Thats where I have issues with it all. It was having trouble running on PS4 in 2D and on top of that to put in VR support seems like a bad gamble.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17 FinalDasa  Moderator

@finaldasa said:

Thats where I have issues with it all. It was having trouble running on PS4 in 2D and on top of that to put in VR support seems like a bad gamble.

At a trade show, or maybe is was the PS Experience in December, Sony showed off what the headset would/might look like. It seemed to have it's own, external, box it was hooked up to. This matches some speculation/rumors that PS VR would need additional hardware to run.

Maybe it'll be like the N64 Expansion Pak.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ericjasonwade

@devil240z:

Yea, honestly I think arguments could be made either way but I really think that VR has almost everything to do with No Man's Sky seemingly troubled lead-up. The game has been delayed multiple times (what game isn't though) but the whole situation seems really peculiar. I won't be getting a headset for at least the first year anyways but my bet is that Sony is doubling down on this VR deal and I wouldn't be surprised if every game not long after VR's release is supporting it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devil240Z

@finaldasa: Still, Its going to be more taxing on the game even if there is an external box. But Ive been thinking there has to be a box with extra power for awhile if PSVR is gonna stand up to the PC VR headsets at all, though I have really no idea how that stuff even works. I even watched a video of a presentation about PSVR that was being given to Unity developers and still VR is confusing.

No Caption Provided

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericjasonwade: Probably. I just care more about playing this game asap than I do VR. mostly cause I'm not getting it day one or even year one. Maybe year 2.5 when the price drops.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I strongly suspect it will.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i can't imagine it being able to run well enough on that VR headset

No Man's Sky PC will absolutely have Oculus/Vive support

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BrettVandelay

I don't think there is any doubt that this game will come on PS VR. The question now that we know the release date of No Man's Sky is: Will the PS VR launch alongside No Man's Sky?

Personally, that would make a very convincing case for me to get a PS VR day one. Unfortunately, it sounds like PS VR won't be launching until holiday season.

Assuming No Man's Sky will support PS VR, I think it is a huge mistake to not launch PS VR alongside the game. This would be the killer app Sony would love to have to push VR sales. Business-wise I think it would have been smart to pay Hello Games to hold-off releasing No Man's Sky until they could do it alongside the PS VR.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brayvonmartin: Todays news seems to confirm that NMS is completely side stepping VR. And hopefully will never support it.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't think so. I think they've got their hands full of completing this game 'the normal way'. Seems complex enough for a small team.

So much has to be altered to make it a good VR experience as well. A small example: when you walk up to your ship and enter it you'll see a small animation of you getting lowered in the cockpit. Doing that in VR is not a great experience.
    I'm not even sure the engine is capable of delivering a nice looking VR game, there's so much stuff flickering and aliasing and they are probably using lots of shaders that won't be viable for a good stereoscopic picture. Don't think it will happen officially; the PC modders will do their thing probably.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it at least supports TrackIR. I like flying space ships and looking around by, erm, looking around.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Has Hello Games even said one word about No Man's Sky supporting any sort of VR at all? If not, I think you may have your answer.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By yellownumber5

This topic could be extended to "Any VR". I personally really really hope it does. No Man's Sky looks to be half FPS walking around on planets, and half flying in a spaceship. The current developer consensus on VR locomotion is that FPS gets people sick, and I haven't seen any early VR title yet that embraces trying to get traditional FPS to work. Hopefully after VR hits the consumer market, developers will realize that us gamers have stronger stomachs and can move around with a thumbstick in first person. The in-ship cockpit frame of reference provides an easy means to use VR, but they are going to have to develop some frame of reference tricks in first person to keep you from getting all turned around. If suits are a big part of the game in No Man's Sky, hopefully they go with the frame of reference being your suit. One game in development already does this: Adr1ft, but the catch there is that you are free floating in space, and you look around inside your helmet in VR. It also moves really slow to prevent too much motion that gets people sick.

Loading Video...

@brayvonmartin: Todays news seems to confirm that NMS is completely side stepping VR. And hopefully will never support it.

I don't understand your wish that it does not include VR. In Games that work on both VR an non-VR, VR is an option for those who wish to enhance their game that way. If you want to keep playing on a monitor then play on a monitor. That is like complaining that a PS4 game is also a PC game, or that television programs should have never been made in color because you like black and white.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This topic could be extended to "Any VR". I personally really really hope it does. No Man's Sky looks to be half FPS walking around on planets, and half flying in a spaceship. The current developer consensus on VR locomotion is that FPS gets people sick, and I haven't seen any early VR title yet that embraces trying to get traditional FPS to work. Hopefully after VR hits the consumer market, developers will realize that us gamers have stronger stomachs and can move around with a thumbstick in first person. The in-ship cockpit frame of reference provides an easy means to use VR, but they are going to have to develop some frame of reference tricks in first person to keep you from getting all turned around. If suits are a big part of the game in No Man's Sky, hopefully they go with the frame of reference being your suit. One game in development already does this: Adr1ft, but the catch there is that you are free floating in space, and you look around inside your helmet in VR. It also moves really slow to prevent too much motion that gets people sick.

Loading Video...

I don't understand your wish that it does not include VR. In Games that work on both VR an non-VR, VR is an option for those who wish to enhance their game that way. If you want to keep playing on a monitor then play on a monitor. That is like complaining that a PS4 game is also a PC game, or that television programs should have never been made in color because you like black and white.

Still, because of the first-person play, I think it unlikely to be officially made to support VR. Maybe only in a PC mod or VorpX.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yellownumber5: Just from what I have seen of the game and how it moves and animates that VR would not work well. And it seems like HG are just barely going to pull this thing off so having to implement VR on top of that seems like too much for them to handle. The game was announced as a PS4 exclusive before PSVR was ever shown so its doubtful that they ever intended for it to be apart of the game originally.

I'm not anti VR, I'm truly excited for it. I just do not think NMS is a good fit for it at all.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yellownumber5: Just from what I have seen of the game and how it moves and animates that VR would not work well. And it seems like HG are just barely going to pull this thing off so having to implement VR on top of that seems like too much for them to handle. The game was announced as a PS4 exclusive before PSVR was ever shown so its doubtful that they ever intended for it to be apart of the game originally.

I'm not anti VR, I'm truly excited for it. I just do not think NMS is a good fit for it at all.

Unfortunately for VR enthusiasts you are probably right, at least for the time being till VR has been around for a while in real world practice.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay sean just confirmed no vr on a interview with ps I love you xoxo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.