Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nobuo Uematsu

Person » credited in 58 games

One of the most revered and prolific composers in gaming, Uematsu helped define the emotional tone of the Final Fantasy series.

A Deep Purple Fan?

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By danielkempster

I'm a long-time fan of Nobuo Uematsu's compositional work. I'm also a big fan of Deep Purple. Recently, I've noticed a couple of points that seem to link the Japanese composer to the British hard rock band.  

Piece of Evidence the First - Uematsu was the music composer for Blue Dragon, Mistwalker's first JRPG on the 360. That game's boss battle theme features former Deep Purple singer Ian Gillan as vocal contributor:

Piece of Evidence the Second - Final Fantasy VIII's soundtrack features a piece titled 'Maybe I'm A Lion': 

Deep Purple's 1972 album Machine Head features a track titled 'Maybe I'm A Leo': 

There aren't any obvious musical similarities, beyond the fact that Uematsu's composition is obviously influenced by the school of music that Deep Purple belong to (even if it is MIDI, I can still make out what are supposed to be electric guitars and rock organs). But even so, the names of those two tracks...

I know a lot of Uematsu's work is rooted in hard rock and heavy metal, from The Black Mages to Lost Odyssey's World Map music, and I'm sure that Deep Purple have at least played a bit part in that. I'm just curious to know if there's a deeper connection there or not. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this. I'm sure all of this could be explained away as coincidence, but I'm curious to know if anybody could confirm this for sure. Is Uematsu a die-hard Deep Purple fan?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.