Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Good deal at $400?

Patmcc19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks like they've dropped the price. Anybody thinking about getting one that this point? I'm mighty tempted. But I'm still don;t know if the games are there. Seems like its going to be a round that price for awhile.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted to get one to lose myself in Elite Dangerous, but I don't think it's worth it for that. Cool as it may be.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Yeah that seems like a pretty good price. The tracking is more limited than the Vive but the Oculus Touch controllers are pretty solid. Superhot VR is really good, I Expect You to Die is really good. Most of the SteamVR stuff is compatible with Touch.

As a Dev I can say that the Oculus Rift CV1 is very comfortable to slip on and off, built-in headphones and mic are surprisingly good quality. Bright areas in the display get blown out more than on the Vive or PSVR but it is generally a very nice headset just make sure you have enough USB 3 ports available on your PC, you may also need a bigger power supply if you have something around 500 watts, depending on the graphics card.

I am biased since I work at Radial Games but I think the Kaiju-scale mode in Fantastic Contraption, where everything is at model ship scale is a great way to play that game with Touch controllers. Room-scale is still mostly great on Oculus, we spawn you a bit further back to encourage you to walk forward but you can obscure the controllers fairly easily.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vr still hasn't made a case for me to buy one yet. It just seems like an expensive toy with a bunch of tech demos. Star trek and resident evil seem interesting(although resident evil vr is exclusive to ps4 which seems like ths dumbest thing ever). 400 still seems like too much to mess around with demos

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What games are there to play ? Like none at this point. I'd wait a few more years and hope this VR thing isn't just a fad before making a steep investment

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're still wondering, then probably not. VR is still in its early adopter stage, so waiting will only make it cheaper and have more cool stuff available later if it lasts.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if you have lasted this long without getting one I say keep waiting. I have a Vive, and I do love it - but waiting until the headsets are a bit better, and there are more games, is a good idea if your not already sold on VR.

That there is nothing to play is a bit of a half truth, and it's something I don't blame non-vr gamers for thinking. The thing is that VR games usually show very poorly on a monitor, and games that are fun to play often look like trash. However, there is a TON of junk on steam for VR. For every good game it seems there are 100 bad ones, and good ones get buried under the trash.

For the moment, the high points are too few and far between if you like to spread your time around in a lot of games. BUT those high points are reeaaally high - like coolest experience with a game ever high.

Anyway, VR can be amazing, and you will enjoy it - but maybe not right now?

tomaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$400 seems ok for the tech and experience. I would prefer Vive for that, but this still beats PSVR and the mobile ones. Sadly outside US those numbers are much higher again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To be honest I wouldn't buy one at that price, even if it is a decent deal, especially when comparing to the roughly $800 it costs over here in Denmark according to a quick search.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yes, I think it's the right time to get one if you've been waiting (and you have more than a passing interest in virtual reality.) There's a ton of stuff on the Oculus store and steam. A good bit of it is shovelware, but there's a good amount of cool games/software worth playing/using. I don't use mine everyday anymore, but a few times a week I love to jump into vr and screw around. Remember to consider what kind of space you'll be using it in. Oculus now has individual sensors you can buy, so you can do roomscale. I don't know how much they are right now, but I bought a third one for 80 bucks. It was worth the investment in my opinion.

Another thing to consider, is the price of the software. 400 bucks sounds great, but make sure to add a few hundred more onto that if you wanna use it (Much like a console in that respect). Vr is definitely an enthusiast buy still. Of course, if you're thinking about getting one, and have the pc for it, I'm sure the monetary aspects have already been considered on your part. I know I may be in the minority, but I love my Rift and I'm very glad to own it. I don't use it everyday (as I mentioned above), but it's super freaking cool to own and use from time to time. To anyone who disagrees on getting one right now, I fully respect that opinion as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi: Huh, a bit surprised at the difference between what Oculus sells it for and what various online shops sells it for here. That is quite a difference.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've learned over the years to be pretty skeptical of deep sales on hardware; that they possibly mean a new iteration of said hardware might be on the way. I'm still salty over buying an original design Xbox 360 on deep discount and then the Elite replaced it the following month at the same non-discounted price of the original design and added more storage and a non-red-ring inducing design.

You might want to wait a bit to see if Oculus announces something new (rumors are that there is a wireless budget headset in the works for 2018), or not.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OurSin_360

Are there any legit budget vr sets for pc? Something that could run like elite dangerous or something? Thinking about modding my gear vr but even if it works i would have to take up usage of my phone.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By HiCZoK

I have 2500k at 4.5ghz and 1060 6gb.. is it enough for rift? Should I even get the rift?! I had dk1 and dk2 and loved them but they were super clunky, sweaty and screen door was bad.

But at 450 euro... man... How long is the deal going to last ?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

If anyone out there is still eyeing the Oculus deal with the touch controllers, Best Buy is currently sweetening the deal a bit more by including EVE: Valkyrie on top.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.