Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Open World

Concept »

Non-linear level design where the player is able to freely traverse the game world and choose where and when to visit certain areas in the game.

What's the most beautiful open world game to you?

• 131 results
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Having just finished Far Cry 3 I gotta go with that one. Running up the tallest hill and being able to see every single inch of the world and then taking a running leap and wingsuiting off that hill was an incredible experience.

daycru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sleeping Dogs. Blazing through rain slicked streets at night, so many pretty lights reflecting.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@bargainben said:

@zevvion said:

@frostyryan said:

How am I the only one who listed Shadow of the Colossus? What the hell?

I haven't played it. Didn't seem like a lot of fun to me at the time. I do appreciate the art, but the world itself doesn't seem that great to me? I haven't played it though, so assumptions.

Its not an open world. Its very pretty and its a series of boss fights done in a specific order and basically nothing else.\

Xenoblade and Skyrim immediately came to mind for me. Im tempted to mention Shadows of Mordor as well but that's mostly technical, but it did have some impressive looking stuff.

Really? I think Mordor is extremely bland and uninteresting looking. When people say 'it does everything Assassin's Creed does but better' I disagree for a variety of reasons. The world being the most obvious one. Assassin's Creed IV was stunning, beautiful and vast. Mordor is not.

As I said a big part of the appeal is just the technical level of detail and long field of view however a handful of high up spots are nice to look at. The quick look ended on one of them. AC has the artistry of millions of craftsmen throughout history to support their aesthetic so naturally its going to have more interesting things to look at.

Avatar image for purplemoustache
    PurpleMoustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104  Edited By PurpleMoustache
    No Caption Provided

Proteus.

Love the color scheme, and the low-poly, paper cutout feel of it all. Plus it's a new world every time you play it.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Dragon's Dogma has a fantastic open world in part to it's visuals and the mechanics that force you to literally walk it's routes. There was something utterly mesmerizing about traversing the world by foot for the first few hours of that game. If the game encourage exploration rather then a quest system I would have been fine with no fast travel system at all.

At times the world felt like it had more immersion then Skyrim where eventually you just pinball between cities. In Dragon's Dogma even when you quickly get to the max fast travel item markers in your inventory they're still items in the world and each use of fast travel dwindles your supply of a disposable item. That system lent weight to the world and combined with visuals whose only weakness was dreadful ground texture repetition.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@bargainben: Well, yeah. But the fact they have more people doesn't mean it's less impressive looking. I do get what you are saying though.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to installing various mods for Skyrim. If it weren't for glaring pop ins and distant mountains flickering, distant landscapes without any details along with waterfalls that remain static, then I'd pick that game. Too bad I can't fix it like so many other people have.

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
    RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead and AC4 are up there for me.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I eventually did grab a PC able to play modern games, the first game I bought was Sleeping Dogs. It may be my favorite for that reason, or because it just looks so god damn good. I mean, that rain.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Just Cause 2s mountains and rivers are the most beautiful open world environments I can think of immediately. Skyrim's nights on top of a snow-covered mountain was also quite something. I thought Assassin's Creed 2's Venice was very pretty. If we're counting it, Wind Waker has the greatest style.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Far Cry is probably the easy winner here for it's time though i'm not sure everyone would qualify it as open world though it did basically invent the format for fps.

I'd vote Just cause 2 otherwise.

Skyrim was quite amazing in parts as well considering how hamstrung it was graphically when released, the post processing really did some work.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By ProfessorEss

Totally forgot to mention one of my absolute fave open worlds... Don't Starve!

Sick, sick, sick art, sound and music.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Dunno. Can't really pick one.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I actually really like the world in Watch Dogs. Something about the size and spacing of everything looks like a more believable city than anything other city I've played in.

Assassin's Creed 4 is fun to sail around in too. Also, at the time, World of Warcraft was the most amazing open world.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By development

Proteus. Nah, just fuckin' with you.

Far Cry 3 or Red Dead. The Mexico section of Red Dead, although a totally unneeded section of the game, is real purty. Oh, also the desert areas of Just Cause 2. I like deserts.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I think Dragon's Dogma has a fantastic open world in part to it's visuals and the mechanics that force you to literally walk it's routes. There was something utterly mesmerizing about traversing the world by foot for the first few hours of that game. If the game encourage exploration rather then a quest system I would have been fine with no fast travel system at all.

At times the world felt like it had more immersion then Skyrim where eventually you just pinball between cities. In Dragon's Dogma even when you quickly get to the max fast travel item markers in your inventory they're still items in the world and each use of fast travel dwindles your supply of a disposable item. That system lent weight to the world and combined with visuals whose only weakness was dreadful ground texture repetition.

Yes! so much this.

You're not wrong. Also don't know why the site does that, I've seen it happen to other users although it never happens to me. What browser are you using?

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of people saying Wind Waker, I have to agree. The feeling of sailing on the open seas is really something else.

Also, maybe an unconventional opinion, but I find a lot of beauty in the world of Minecraft.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@sunbrozak: just made me wanna play Red Dead again

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Red Dead is one of the few games I have ever played that lived up to the hype, such a fucking amazing game.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Re-seeing Red Dead; it's kind of crazy how good that game still looks. I wish they'd do a PC version so bad.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By shozo
    No Caption Provided

No love for Second Son? The neon lighting, the particle/smoke effects it was a joy to watch. Gameplay certainly lacked diversity but the rapid traversal systems encouraged me to explore every corner of the map and give it a bit of flair with the spray paint mini game.

thdemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By thdemn

They have all already been said, but Red Dead Redemption, Wind Waker, and Sleeping Dogs.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

EVE online. I can get tired of trees, rocks, clouds, etc. after an extended period of time but there's something about space which never got old while I played the game

It's haunting, and pretty much perfect for what the game is

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By slyspider

Muramasa Rebirth. Not sure if it counts as a full open world like the other games listed, but I spent hours exploring it

Pretty....
    Pretty....

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hailinel: I'll jump on the Xenoblade train as well. The gorgeous environments on the two immobile titans more than overcame the Wii's technical limitations.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The semi-open world of Outcast will always have a special place in my heart. Not that beautiful technically, but wonderfully stylized and executed to feel like an alien world.

I'd guess World of Warcraft takes the first spot, even if it has lost some of it's charm after having played it for around nine years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee7f60143c81
    deactivated-5ee7f60143c81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim, I spend many a day playing that game.

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DrSbaitso

Gotta be Dark Souls, the art direction is just stunning throughout the entirety of that game. Each environment has its own personality yet they fit together so well.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started playing Watch Dogs on PC, with those graphics mods. It looks pretty damn good.

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
    Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Arkade_Kalamity

Red Dead, the first Deus Ex on PC, & Fallout 3.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.