Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ori and the Blind Forest

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 11, 2015

Ori and the Blind Forest is a 2D Metroidvania game with a strong focus on platforming, story, and atmosphere. Developed by Moon Studios for the PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

This game got pupping robbed in Giant Bomb's Best Music category.

ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ricobanderas

I just got this game because it was recently on sale. Glad I did because I definitely overlooked it when it came out. I'm about halfway through and after beating the first 'big' area everything just clicked for me. Glad I've stuck with it 'cause. admittedly, I thought it felt a bit slow at first. But wow, what a beautiful looking, tight-controlling and fun little game.

The thing that stands out the most, though, is the music. Like, did no one else at Giant Bomb really play this game except Brad? I don't see Drew or Austin for that matter having played this, and then given up the music category to, Splatoon, of all things. I know music is a very subjective thing. I could also see the crew favoring more upbeat music given the situation they were in. But...wow, the melodies and motif featured in this game are incredible. How did Metal Gear Solid V even beat this in runner-ups? With licensed 80s pop songs?

I don't know, playing it now I sensed a strong injustice. This game was robbed and deserved higher recognition in 2015, if for nothing else the beautiful soundtrack.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Well, this generation the Xbox-centric games have been unfairly ignored. I agree with you on Ori, but I would go further than the music. It's a beautiful game that I found substantial. But in the same way as Sunset Overdrive or Killer Instinct is silently wonderful, Ori fell into that group. If you ask what the top five best fighters or platformers were on this generation of consoles, I'd have them both on the list. It's reasonable, the PS4 library has been incredible from day one and this year it's almost stronger than ever. The PS4 just delivers constantly.

Ori is fantastic and I wish more people would play it. The development is interesting as a personal story and the actual game is really great. :-)

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@ricobanderas: if I remember correctly Brad makes a very specific point with regards to this game about how the team they have will never recognize a game with a more "traditional" orchestral soundtrack due to their tastes. He essentially says that Ori should win but the group they have will never pick it, so it's a moot point but he personally viewed it as the winner.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Profanity is not allowed in thread titles.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@quid_pro_bono: On the other hand, if that's not the teams tastes, then it's not the team's top game in the category.

OP, you can make all of the objective cases you want but games aren't robbed in their lists because they decide them as a group to reflect their opinions. If the group decided their favorite soundtrack or story was Duke Nuken Forever then they're not wrong.

You can only argue about how much you like a particular game for categories more or less, but not that it deserved anything different in their list.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: yeah I have no opinion on this topic due to never having played Ori, but this discussion still sticks out in my mind since I think Brad did have a point about some of their blind spots. I don't actually think a game can get robbed when this is all for fun and an excuse to talk about some cool games, and in general I think artistic awards are pretty silly.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Counterpoint: Sunset Overdrive was the same year and had a way better soundtrack.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

Sunset Overdrive is a fine game but it got about as much attention as it deserved, imo; its the only xb1 exclusive I even really like.

I mean this isn't like Witcher 3 levels of underration from duders.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

If you look at GOTY as anything other than the culmination of the opinions of x number of guys, you're doing it wrong.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

No it didn't.

It got robbed in the GOTY category.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you look at GOTY as anything other than the culmination of the opinions of x number of guys, you're doing it wrong.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think it's agreed even by the guys that ever since Journey lost the Best Music category has been a total pupshow.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly this. It's easy to feel like certain games are overlooked, but then you remind yourself that it's just one group's opinion. If you look elsewhere, you'll see that Ori won the 2016 DICE award for Music Composition and was nominated elsewhere as well. It reminds me of when people got annoyed that Witcher 3 was overlooked when it won literally hundreds of GOTY awards from other outlets.

I could get up in arms about how overlooked Dishonored 2 was, but then I see it won game of the year from PC Gamer and got in the top ten for Gamespot and Polygon and remind myself that Giant Bomb isn't the only place capable of praising games.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Splatoon has a great soundtrack.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the ending of this game might have cost it some points when the end-of-year review came along. Some people just don't like it when a poignant, and arguably emotionally manipulative, early death scene is undone at the very end of the game. Warps the stakes. :-P

That having been said, I loved the soundtrack too.

ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, sure. Okay. I get what the GOTY podcasts are. It's just frustrating to see a game not get its due on my favorite game website. That, or I would've liked to see Brad go full "invisible inc." for it, but he picks his battles.

Just sayin'.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cloudymusic

It doesn't have a grimy bass-heavy soundtrack, so it never had a chance. Yes, I know Splatoon actually won.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By monetarydread

Eh... the soundtack was decent for that style of music. For it to have won there would have needed to be more people on staff who are into that genre. I think that Ori received as much recognition as it deserved.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

brad was pushing hard for it iirc. proof he's the best bomber.

e: the save system in this is also kinda ingenious.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pilgore

Orchestral music tends to get judged as "generic hollywood music" by the GB staff. Most of the "Best of Music" categories get awarded to chiptune stuff. I don't get it either. Some AMAZING orchestral grand video game soundtracks got completely ignored "cuz boring generic music I dunno."

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orchestral music doesn't play very well for the crew. They can admire it, but that style doesn't tend to win the music category.

While we're on the subject though this year's music category is going to be hell for me to pick a favorite. Both Nier and Persona have killer soundtracks with just the right amout of style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.