Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outlast

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 04, 2013

Deep within the abandoned halls of Mount Massive Asylum, amateur journalist Miles Upshur sets out to find a good story, and instead finds an evil presence.

How long is it?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By donutfever

In another thread about this, I saw somebody say they took only 2 hours to beat it. Have any of you guys finished it? How long did it take you?

I'm just half an hour in, and only had one real enemy encounter, so I'd be disappointing if it's that close to being over.

EDIT: Just finished it, took me 7 hours.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I heard about five.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It took me 5-6, but I've seen people say everything from 2 (I have no idea how... maybe a glitch put them right at the endgame? 2 seems impossible to me unless you're speedrunning, and nobody's speedrunning their first time through) to 10 (makes sense if you play like Patrick did in the QL).

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Longer than Gone Home. Buy it.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took me about 4 hours going by Steam. The camera in game had only about 2 hours on it though so maybe some people are basing it on that.

Though the game isn't overly long, especially with how very little damage most enemies do to you along with your regenerating health. I pretty much ignored hiding entirely in favour of just sprinting around everywhere any time an enemy is present, sometimes even just sprinting right at them to nudge past. Stealth just isn't worth the time when you can sprint between all the objectives in no time at all and shrug off the odd hit along the way sadly.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I really hope that becomes the new metric for quantifying the elusive 'value proposition.'

'How many Gone Homes is it?'

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecfb31b61925
    deactivated-5ecfb31b61925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

It took me about 6. I'm surprised about the 2 hour estimate, though like Gravier said, the camera only recorded just over 2 for me as well, though I definitely did not have it out the entire game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat it and steam says 4 hours, so that can, if I recall correctly, be anywhere from 4 hours to 4 hours and 59 minutes.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@nekroskop said:

I really hope that becomes the new metric for quantifying the elusive 'value proposition.'

I got through Outlast in 2 1/2 Gone Homes (or five hours)

DRSOne80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4-6 hours is probably the average.
    It's EXCELLENT though, so it's really about being time well spent. I really enjoyed the story as it unfolded, and outside of its exploitable flaws in combat, it was pretty immersive if you keep up with the notes/journals.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone who answered this thread: you have considerably sizable balls, homies.

Let this thread be the podium of sizable-balled men to speak up and be recognized. They deserve it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Steam says 3 hours played and I don't really know if I'm close to the end or not. I'm guessing yes since I feel I've been trucking through most of it.

@project343 said:

@nekroskop said:

I got through Outlast in 2 1/2 Gone Homes (or five hours)

As for Gone Home, it says 7 hours played and I played through that twice because I knew my wife would love the story but not so much playing it herself. We just threw it up on the projector late one night and it was magical seeing it through her eyes and hearing her reactions to the slow reveals.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

5 hours of clocked progress, or 5 hours of overall playtime? So far the camera's recording time is reading somewhere around 2 1/2 hours, and my Steam time is 4-ish (because I had to redo some sections once or twice). But unless I'm getting close to the end, I think I may just call it quits. I feel like the tension is really undercut by all the fetch quest BS the game keeps throwing in my way. In my game, I've just reclaimed my camera after dropping it, and running around with a big crack in the screen. It feels like I'm getting close to the end, but then again it has felt like that for past 45 minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.