Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Loot Box Contents Kinda Lame? [Not even complaining about microtransaction stuff]

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ALavaPenguin

This is separate from the concept of being a microtransaction thing. I generally dislike them, but have on rare occasion done a microtransaction here and there, but in this game I have never been less tempted to pay real money for microtransactions compared to other games. This is mostly due to what is in them. I enjoy opening them when I got while playing, but what is actually in there does not seem worth any money.

Let's assume the drop rates were increased on higher rarity things even [as of right now I mostly get garbage anyway from playing, but still early on in the game, just got it yesterday]. What you actually can get from them just isn't worth the cash

Skins in a FPS game that you barely see cause you are in first person. It does give some extra art on your gun and stuff sometimes, but that hardly seems to be worth paying for. At least in a moba you get to see your character in it's cool stuff all the time. Also... almost every skin is a pallet swap...., or at least mostly

Some Player Icons [Why would I ever pay for that?]

Some poses/highlight intros. They are ok but at most seen for a second or two per game

Some sprays [Sprays are cute, but once again I can't see a world where it makes any sense to gamble for some sprays in this game].

Some emotes that I rarely see people ever using anyway [and I probably wouldn't].

Don't get me wrong, I think all of that stuff, well some of it looks cool [of course due to personal preference] but paying actual money for it in this game just doesn't seem worth it for any of it.

I enjoy collecting the stuff, and I do want skins and all, but I just can't see any sanity in buying them for a FPS game like this, even if it maybe changes the gun model you are holding a bit [or hands/ect]

So my main point is, I feel this game has done a poor job of even giving me any temptation of microtransaction purchases. I normally at least feel tempted in some way, but everything seems so beyond small [even the skins, once again, a first person game so you don't even see it 90% of the time] that I just feel shockingly untempted to buy those. The actual loot box content just seems poor for actual money purchases. I am not even talking about the gambling nature of them or cost or whatever, that is another discussion I am not having here.

Not complaining. The fact that they all seem so not worth actual money beyond other game's microtransactions almost makes them even more acceptable [no pressure or temptation to get them]. I would actually much prefer it this way, and I am glad they allow you to get them through just playing the game.

I do enjoy unlocking them through the game, but many the level at which I am so disinterested in buying those boxes is beyond any other of these games, and I am often more tempted in MUCH worse games [which I do love this game so far!]

So what are your opinions on this everyone? I get this is a subjective thing. For many people it probably is worth it, but I was honestly shocked at just how disinterested I was with these. My words maybe in a sentance or so didn't reflect this, but I mean with all due respect to those who did purchase some. I am sorry if I offended !! It is all subjective ya know :)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm a huge sucker for skins, and the highlight intros/emotes are pretty fun too. I dunno, I like dressing up my little dudes, even if I won't see it most of the time.

Seinenfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haven't been tempted, and I think they're aware of how few people will probably actually buy boxes but it's in there for those that want to get stuff quicker. It's maybe the least offensive micro transaction in a paid game I've seen because it doesn't matter and it's not shoved in your face at all.

Also remember that this is a game you have to buy, so they don't really need to make you want to buy the boxes, they already have your money.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I think a big thing about the loot boxes isn't just what's in them, it's that thrill of opening one and seeing what's in there. When you buy a bunch you get to just open a bunch of them at once whereas while playing you gotta level up everytime to get a single one, which is what tempts people to just buy them.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like having a bunch of (even useless) junk to unlock, but it's a little absurd how little you get out of the average box considering how long it takes to level and earn one, especially after playing for awhile.

It feels designed to encourage you to buy them.

I at least wish you earned coins from just playing.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There has to be some way to let Youtubers monetize your game without actually having to play it.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would have much preferred a more traditional "pay real money for coins, pay coins for stuff" model. Let me choose the stuff I wanna buy!

I guess that's not as profitable though, because then you instantly buy the four things you want and never pay for anything else ever again. Still though, much more pleasant for the player.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The loot is no doubt the lamest part of the game. There are a few kinda neat skins but the voice lines, poses, intros, sprays and such? Big ol' fart sounds for those.

So, yeah, the loot is pretty ignorable. Which is surprising to me because I've spent a decent chunk on DOTA hats.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm quite happy with how it works even if I don't think I'll ever put money into it.

If it means that I don't need to pay for maps/content update, that's perfect.

I understand the frustration of not getting skins enough, but I like that they're so rare that seeing one on the battlefield is not that frequent. The skins lose value if everyone can get them easily.

As someone who will not put money into it, I like the idea that I'll only ever have one or two rare skins. It makes it exciting to actually get them.

Though I'll agree there's too much meaningless stuff to unlock. Sprays and voice-line are boring. Also, if you pay for random stuff it can certainly be frustrating, but I think the currency system works well at mitigating that problem.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You actually do see you character quite often (at the long ass start ups, at the end, in highlight screens, in the death cams), so I think the costumes are okay. Also some of them just look so fucking cool.

Some of the voice lines and emotes are also okay, as are the highlight intros. The sprays and especially the player icons are completely useless though.

Overall I think that stuff is okay and I’ve been tempted to buy 10 boxes myself multiple times, but have held off buying so far.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I think the sprays are 100% useless bloat, people only use them in the start while waiting for the count down. Otherwise they just make it so you get less of what you want from boxes.

Other than that, I love them.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loot boxes have a similar value when compared to boxes of Cracker Jacks. The prize inside is worthless, if kind of neat, but not the point. Loot boxes are just something fun and inconsequential to the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The skins are the only thing I care about. There's so much other stuff that it feels special when I get a cool skin. It's all technically "useless".

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep most of the time, skins are fine but it's a fairly shallow/nonexistent progression system

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VoshiNova

I've spent $40 on Loot Boxes so far and I'm a bad person. BUT the shit I've got from them iiiiiiisssssssss pretty dope.

Oh and here's this thing too.

Loading Video...

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vessel28

All I seem to get is white white blue white boxes, and have only got a few colour skins so far. I think there's way too many sprays considering you also get them from achievements. Maybe it needs more colour variants and some more skins. That and currency guaranteed at levelling up or something. Right now it just feels like I'm collecting useless junk.

Avatar image for williamflattener
    williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voshinova: You've exposed a huge contradiction in my psyche.

1. I consider it absurd to watch unboxing videos and videos where people buy those gashapon things and open them.
    2. I would watch people unbox virtual loot all day long.
    Avatar image for williamflattener
    williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By williamflattener

A lot of people here seem to agree that skins are the most, or the only, motivating loot item. That rings true for me, and I actually dislike most of the alternate skins. Like, what were they thinking with Torbjörn's kitschy pirate thing? Yuck. But it's still my primary driver to progress in the game--with all the little things like victory poses and portrait borders adding up and pushing me forward. (Not to mention it's, y'know, fun to play.)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:

I would have much preferred a more traditional "pay real money for coins, pay coins for stuff" model. Let me choose the stuff I wanna buy!

I guess that's not as profitable though, because then you instantly buy the four things you want and never pay for anything else ever again. Still though, much more pleasant for the player.

Stole the words right out of my mouth.

I would gladly give Blizzard more money if I could get the exact items I want, but they can fuck off with all that gambling shit. The fact I've open 20+ boxes now and have yet to get a single goddamn skin or voice pack for any of my favorite characters doesn't make me wanna give them more money. If anything, it's soured my experience to the point where I don't even give a shit about opening them anymore.

gtoor14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont mind the content from the boxes i just wish there were other ways to get them, like gold medals, POTG, epic votes...etc

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The content of them is fine, I like that it is all strictly cosmetic stuff that can't impact gameplay.

My issue is just how slow they roll out. I really wish they had daily or weekly missions that rewarded 1 or 2 boxes, or some other ways to get them (because I am not gonna pay). 1 every level is kinda meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came here to complain about Loot Crate...

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I've gotten about 21 loot boxes and 8 of them contained a spray solely for Reaper. The fuck am I gonna do with the 7 I can't use? I can't resell them for in-game coins towards the mariachi outfit?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That didn't stop me from buying 50. Guess we just totally disagree on the sort of things that are and aren't worth trying to get

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think the fact that they're selling blind-box skins in a game that already costs $40 or $60 is absurd and I'm honestly surprised that people seem so okay with it. If you could just pick the skin you wanted I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I like the skins but I feel like the rates at which you get the "cool" stuff have been drastically lowered from the Beta or I'm just on a real shit streak. Having only played until level 6-7 in the Beta I had unlocked a ton of really awesome stuff. Now in the full retail game I'm nearly level 20 and have barely unlocked any skins at all and the ones I did get are simple color swaps.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The drop rate on skins is rough. I'm level 24 and have only gotten 3 skins, all blue. I'm never going to spend extra money on crates, though, because no matter how frustrating it may be to get shit drops (I've had like 10 dupe sprays out of the hundreds that exist) the price on the crates is ludicrous. Feels pretty shitty, tbh.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Devil240Z

Skins are cool and the rest are filler. Whatever I want hats yo. I would totally rock a pompous tophat on top of Dva's mech.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good lord, seeing how many skins he gets in the first 5 crates makes my blood boil.

I've spent $40 on Loot Boxes so far and I'm a bad person. BUT the shit I've got from them iiiiiiisssssssss pretty dope.

Oh and here's this thing too.

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently on my 9th (NINTH!) triple grey 1 blue loot box in a row and I'm really getting tired of getting all this utter garbage, the 9th even had 2 dupes. I don't think I've gotten a single emote in a loot box yet either. All these sprays, voice lines and player icons are getting very old.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I like victory poses as well as skins.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@hassun: I have opened ten boxes and that was my first nine as well. Three grey, one blue. Then I finally got a purple. And what did I get? The one purple skin for Reinhardt where the armor doesn't change at all save for the color. I'm not as hyped when I get loot boxes anymore. The game is awesome though, so there is that.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My second loot box had a duplicate spray. Fuck loot boxes.

polaracorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wish that more coins dropped so I can buy what I actually want.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hassun

@jaqen_hghar: Watching Jeff doing his depraved unboxing act on UPF and from my own experience, it seems like the average is 1 good thing per 10 boxes. So I guess I'm really looking forward to the next one.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I got legendaries in my first 3 loot boxes. I've not even bought any. After watching many 100 box openings it is incredibly random. In one video I saw less duplicates unboxing 100 than unboxing 50 from another stream. They should make it less random and steer you away from duplicates and boxes full of sprays.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Halo 5 was getting so much shit for its card system, but pretty much anything I've opened in that game resulted in "hmm, cool, this will come in handy."

Watching Jeff open those 50 boxes is one of the main reasons I'm skipping Overwatch. It all seemed useless.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The next box after complaining here had two legendaries and a purple in it, lol. The average is still about 1 cool thing per 10 levels.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the victory poses and highlight intros are alright. A few of the skins are cool, though most are lazy recolours and shouldn't event count as separate skins (you get recolours for each skin for free in say, Heroes of the Storm, another Blizzard game). All of the sprays and voice lines and emotes are shit you will basically never see or care about in-game. This game has really bad random drops, and it's laughable that anyone looks forward to loot box openings given the the wheat to chaff ratio.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am level 9 and so far I have gotten 1 skin (one of the recolors) and three voice lines. The rest have been sprays (one of them a dupe) and profile pictures. The loot distribution in this game is really bad.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@csl316 said:

Watching Jeff open those 50 boxes is one of the main reasons I'm skipping Overwatch. It all seemed useless.

Well everything from loot boxes is cosmetic, so I guess technically they are useless. I just play Overwatch because it's fun.

Avatar image for japanesebuffalo
    JapaneseBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That feeling when you see you got a legendary or epic loot and it's a duplicate is just the worst. It has happened a TON too! Like why are there so many dupes when each character has over 50 commons. And let's not forget they'll be adding even more characters. This system is totally unacceptable in its current form if they don't start lowering the chance of dupes or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.