Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

The Sombra ARG

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucitary

Overwatch's next hero appears to be just on the horizon as some big discoveries are being made over on the Overwatch Discord server. Sombra, the supposed 23rd hero of Overwatch has been hinted at in the past couple of trailers with hidden codes, and single frame flashes of images, but it just got kicked into high gear with the discovery of this horrifying monstrosity.

A code hidden in the goddamn sky!
    A code hidden in the goddamn sky!

Basically if you look up into a specific portion of the sky on Dorado in a certain place, at a certain time, there will be slight artifacting that becomes clearer when you drop out the contrast. This has created all sorts of speculation and testing from the community which someone nicely summarized in this info graphic.

No Caption Provided

Very interesting developments that I hope mean that the next hero will be right around the corner, the summer games event ends Aug 22nd so I'm assuming the new hero announcement will be released some time soon after that. Although it may also be possible that unlocking Sombra requires the completion of the ARG, which is a scary prospect considering how complicated it has already been up to this point. Either way This is definitely making me more interested in Overwatch again.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I love this kind of stuff, and while I'm nowhere near capable of trying to figure it out on my own I love seeing a large community try an do so. Here's a video I watched a few weeks ago that spelled out what they'd figured out so far. There's been more updates on the mystery since then, but I think it's a good starting point nonetheless.

Loading Video...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

This kind of ARG just kinda indicates which developers have far too much time on their hands (Blizzard, Valve, Bungie, etc.).

Also I guess I don't anticipate the new Overwatch character reveals that much? I was more excited for each new "Meet The..." video for TF2 because they were really entertaining.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love ARGs. The stuff that happened with Binding of Isaac a year ago was amazing.

Excited to continue to follow this.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't watch the video, but hasn't Blizzard explicitly said they won't be adding stealth heroes?

I love this kind of stuff, and while I'm nowhere near capable of trying to figure it out on my own I love seeing a large community try an do so. Here's a video I watched a few weeks ago that spelled out what they'd figured out so far. There's been more updates on the mystery since then, but I think it's a good starting point nonetheless.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Haven't watch the video, but hasn't Blizzard explicitly said they won't be adding stealth heroes?

@themanwithnoplan said:

I think Sombra will be more of a recon hero than a stealth from all indications.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This kind of ARG just kinda indicates which developers have far too much time on their hands (Blizzard, Valve, Bungie, etc.).

Also I guess I don't anticipate the new Overwatch character reveals that much? I was more excited for each new "Meet The..." video for TF2 because they were really entertaining.

I think it's pretty fun and cool when developers do stuff like this.

That being said, I completely agree that I think the "Meet The..." Videos in TF2 were all very fun to watch. It REALLY makes me hope that Blizzard makes more for Overwatch, because I would dig the absolute shit out that.

TheShrubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Samantha Kalman working at Blizzard now?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool, especially the code on Dorado, but I guess I'm not into it all that much because I don't really see what the outcome will be of solving it. Sombra probably already has a fixed release date that will go ahead regardless if the ARG is solved or not. Overwatch is way too big for them to do something like Edmund did for BoI and The Keeper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.