Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pancake

Object » linked to 51 games

They come in many different flavors, such as blueberry, apple, chocolate chip, and the list goes on. Pancakes are often served with syrup and butter. In Scandinavia, they may be served with sugar, jam, or 'brown cheese'.

Exciting News From Your Friends At Giant Bomb

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1301  Edited By superfriend

@Branthog said:

Also - what do they mean "the story of about Jeff being fired"? The story was always that Jeff quit. Unless that was part of some exit-strategy where it was agreed he would be able to claim he quit (which would benefit CBS, because calling it a firing would have absolutely and completely proven the truth behind the whole Kane and Lynch dirtiness).

See, this is why they needed to tell the truth. Bunch of fucking rumors floating around for years. Jeff quit, Jeff was fired because of drug abuse... bunch of shit. I want to believe the old management team responsible for his termination is no longer around (and by that I mean not single one of these asses should still have a job).

Ah well, let´s see what the future holds. I guess Giantbomb was never set up to run on its for longer than a couple of years.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1302  Edited By Branthog

@Mdk5631 said:

@Branthog: That is how the corporate world is, cancel your sub (like I did yesterday) and wish them the best.

The only thing that makes me sad is how blind everyone is to it.

A lot of people posting here have the attitude of: "No man, THIS TIME the corporate takeover will be different! Giantbomb will stay independent"

What's funny is that everyone involved seems to buy into it, too (or at least, they have to pretend to be buying into it because such acquisitions usually include negotiations to keep key talent or business figures involved for a certain amount of time after the acquisition). My friends in the radio and television industry heard all the same things and had the same excitement as the GiantBomb guys, when CBS came waltzing in to their studios. A lot of promises. A lot of excitement, because now they really had funding and a big corporation behind them. Finally, all of their hard work was paying off! Awesome!

Six to nine months later, they were all demoralized, dejected, betrayed, hating going to work every day as every promise was fucked in the ass by a douche bag regional manager or consultant or other suit. . . . and then everyone was called into an urgent meeting and fired as CBS backtracked one everything and went with "please advertisers" over "produce awesome content" route. The awesome unique talkshow as gone, replaced by a mouth-breathing right-wing douche bag. The station with really decent quality rock music (unheard of in this day and age on terrestrial radio) turned into the NickelBack station. Much of it became automated and what wasn't was sourced out to a douche bag from another part of the country who was basically a 45 year old frat-boy who did a "morning show" between Nickelback and Trapt and did racist and sexist bits that would make Howard Stern feel repulsed.

So, again, I have a lot of hope that things work out, too. But I've seen how things tend to shake out for my friends in the industry under CBS and I've seen how it shakes out in other acquisitions and mergers -- in my own industry. It's usually not all unicorns and bubblegum and things rarely truly do remain the same.

I think the smart money is on sticking around here. Especially if you like Vinny and Brad and Ryan and Jeff (I do - tremendously -- and I would give them a chance under any condition always until they prove why I should not) . . . but . . . maybe keep one foot out the door so you have somewhere else to call home if the shit hits the fan.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1303  Edited By xxizzypop

@Mdk5631 said:

@Branthog: That is how the corporate world is, cancel your sub (like I did yesterday) and wish them the best.

A lot of people posting here have the attitude of: "No man, THIS TIME the corporate takeover will be different! Giantbomb will stay independent"

One has to hope that the time and energy these folks have put in to this website and the relationship they've built with the community isn't all for nothing. With the crew staying almost identical sans the interns, their deep seated dedication to journalistic integrity and crazy stupid entertainment, and overall being fairly open and honest about virtually everything Giant Bomb related, it's just hard to believe they'd be willing to simply turn over a company to seedy corporate practices.

The corporate world doesn't always suck, it just has a tendency to, and I firmly believe that if anyone would weather the storm of a corporate merger that it would be the Giant Bomb crew. Mostly because I have to. This is where I get most of my entertainment online, so if it goes, then I may have to actually get a life, and I'm just not cool with that quite yet.

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1304  Edited By eloj

First order of business: Hire Matt Kessler.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1305  Edited By xxizzypop

@Superfriend said:

@Branthog said:

Also - what do they mean "the story of about Jeff being fired"? The story was always that Jeff quit. Unless that was part of some exit-strategy where it was agreed he would be able to claim he quit (which would benefit CBS, because calling it a firing would have absolutely and completely proven the truth behind the whole Kane and Lynch dirtiness).

See, this is why they needed to tell the truth. Bunch of fucking rumors floating around for years. Jeff quit, Jeff was fired because of drug abuse... bunch of shit. I want to believe the old management team responsible for his termination is no longer around (and by that I mean not single one of these asses should still have a job).

Ah well, let´s see what the future holds. I guess Giantbomb was never set up to run on its for longer than a couple of years.

The detail about the management team is explicitly addressed in the GB/GS interview, where Jeff states that most (if not all) of the management team that was responsible for operation in '06-'07 are no longer with the company. It's actually a pretty good video over in another news story, everyone should check it out.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1306  Edited By Branthog

@xxizzypop said:

@Mdk5631 said:

One has to hope that the time and energy these folks have put in to this website and the relationship they've built with the community isn't all for nothing. With the crew staying almost identical sans the interns, their deep seated dedication to journalistic integrity and crazy stupid entertainment, and overall being fairly open and honest about virtually everything Giant Bomb related, it's just hard to believe they'd be willing to simply turn over a company to seedy corporate practices.

The corporate world doesn't always suck, it just has a tendency to, and I firmly believe that if anyone would weather the storm of a corporate merger that it would be the Giant Bomb crew. Mostly because I have to. This is where I get most of my entertainment online, so if it goes, then I may have to actually get a life, and I'm just not cool with that quite yet.

It's important to note that this isn't merely "the corporate world". This is CBS. It's about as bad an example of "corporate world" as you can get. I might be less skeptical if the acquisition was by a number of others . . . but CBS. Ugh. That might be just as bad as if they were bought by AOL as part of their content farm.

Anyway, I'll still offer my support while remaining completely skeptical and when things go to shit, I'll point to these posts and say "I told you so". And if things are still awesome in five years, I'll post a message saying how unbelievable it is that they maintained all the great stuff despite a situation that usually fosters all the wrong outcomes.

Either way, I absolutely don't have any grudge against those involved. Even if it turns out poorly. I'm a pragmatist and whatever you do -- musician, actor, artist, writer, entrepreneur -- if you get a chance to make a life-changing amount of cash, go for it. You can have all the integrity in the world, but it doesn't do you much good if you're living paycheck to paycheck. If you invent the next shitty social-networking darling project on the iPhone and are on the cover of every magazine and Facebook or Apple or someone comes along and offers you a tens of millions to give it to them or come work for them or even just to shut your site down so they can own it, but not compete with it . . . fucking do that shit. Make that money and move on.

In other words - even if things go to shit, I'll hate the decision and the outcome, but I won't hold it against the Duders that made the business decision.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1307  Edited By superfriend

@xxizzypop said:

@Superfriend said:

@Branthog said:

The detail about the management team is explicitly addressed in the GB/GS interview, where Jeff states that most (if not all) of the management team that was responsible for operation in '06-'07 are no longer with the company. It's actually a pretty good video over in another news story, everyone should check it out.

Yeah, I´ve seen the live thing they did. This all sounds okay to me, for now at least. We all know there will be some changes coming and I don´t think everything will be amazing.

As for the management team:

Most (if not all) does not satisfy me. I want to see their fucking heads on pikes.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1308  Edited By Pudge

Damn it. Damn it Damn it Damn it.

This is G4TechTV all over again. I've spent years singing the praises of Giant Bomb to everyone, watching every piece of content, enjoying every podcast, believing in the future of the Internet. I gave you my money because I thought this is what you wanted, a powerful independent voice in games journalism. I idolized you guys, I wanted to do the same thing you guys do as a profession. I gave my all to Giant Bomb, and in return you guys just fucked it all up.

I trust you when you say that everything will be the same, because I know you honestly believe that. Just like The Screen Savers was EXACTLY the same as Attack of the Show. Just like how TechCrunch is still a great blog to go to. Just like how Tweetdeck is still the best program to use for Twitter on Windows. Just like how FriendFeed and Gowalla and Digg, and all those other great social media ventures are still around after their mergers/changes.

The Internet just got a little colder

RIP Giant Bomb

mhd420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1309  Edited By mhd420

If this move means that all the self-entitled manchildren in the comments finally leave this is going to be the best thing in years.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of digesting this news. I like the independent vibe of this site and was willing to pay to support that. I don't like Gamespot's involvement here but will give it a chance. My biggest problem is John Davison running the show. I like the guy but let's face it, when he enters the picture anywhere he goes the company gets sold or goes under. Troll me if you want but this is hard to see as a positive move for a site founded on credibility.

Avatar image for kingcrimson4life
    KingCrimson4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#1312  Edited By wintermute

@Brighty: I'm not suggesting anyone is selling out or that people will be different. But it will be a different situation. I most enjoyed the behind the scenes type videos and mailbag videos where it was everyone together from all the sites, in the same room, just having crazy discussions. And the way they would casually have Rorie do a Quicklook or Ryan on Behind The Screened Door, you know, that's what I liked most. That will be gone because they will be in different buildings in different parts of the city now.

Yes, I'm being a little over-dramatic over what is, after all, just a bunch of websites to me. It's stupid because none of these guys are my friends, they don't know me at all, but over the years it had sort of started to feel that way, at least to me. Mostly because they had all been so open and sharing about everything (more so than some corporate place like IGN) that it felt like I had a personal connection, when of course I didn't.

So, yes, as people have said, it's the harsh reality of business and it's clear that Whiskey as it was couldn't quite make it. But it's too bad, because they really achieved making this place different and special. Maybe they could have introduced higher subscription tiers or put more stuff behind the paywall. I don't know, I'm not a businessman. All I know is that it was fun while it lasted and I wish it had succeeded. It may be pathetic, but it's true.

SoledadBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1313  Edited By SoledadBrother

Even if GB continues to put out the same content there still would be no Coonce, Rorie, Will, or Norm. The Starcraft TNT, Lantern Runs, last minute Team Fortress TNT's when the GB crew is out etc. Just not the same

Grognard66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1314  Edited By Grognard66

The problem with selling to a huge corporation is that while the current management at Gamespot seems to "get it", they can easily be replaced tomorrow by another group of fools like the one's that fired Jeff last time. If nothing else, I guess the Giant Bomb crew can just start another website if that happens.

pipedreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1315  Edited By pipedreams

RIP Whiskey Media and BLLSL?

pipedreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1316  Edited By pipedreams

@SoledadBrother: Agreed. :(

valiom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1318  Edited By valiom

Is this the Paragon or Renegade choice?

schematic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1319  Edited By schematic

Not sure how I feel about this :/ I don't like gamespot :(

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1320  Edited By sungahymn

I have faith, but if things go south I won't be afraid to say "I told you so."

Bartima3us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1321  Edited By Bartima3us

@pipedreams said:

@SoledadBrother: Agreed. :(

Double agreed

dropkick56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1322  Edited By dropkick56

I GET IT THIS IS JUST A REALLY ELABORATE EARLY APRIL FOOLS......

RIGHT? ............. RIGHT? ......... RIGHT? .......... RIGHT? ........ RIGHT?

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1323  Edited By Brighty

@Grimluck343 said:

@Ariketh said:

@Brighty said:

@DiGiTaL_SiN said:

I really think everyone needs to watch this. Seriously. This will alleviate almost 90% of peoples' kneejerk reactions and doubts about this whole thing. It's absurd the level that this has been taken amongst certain people in the GB community. Jeff and co. are good guys, they're still good guys, and even though it's easy to paint a faceless corporate organization as the "enemy', it simply isn't the case here and it isn't true. The people that were responsible for the whole debacle that started GB don't even work for Gamespot anymore. Stop freaking out, they're good guys, they wouldn't be doing this if they felt like they would be compromising their integrity or what they stood for. It's really sad how quickly some of you guys would turn on longstanding members of the GB crew without a second thought just at the mention of "GameSpot", it's so incredibly disrespectful.

Thanks for sharing this. It does help me relax quite a bit. It's good to finally be able to watch a video about this. Since I live in China (moved here back in 2010), JustinTV doesn't work for me, so when I first saw everything, I was completely confused by it. This is the first time I've been able to hear anyone from GB actually talk about it - not including what Dave wrote, which is not really what I was looking for.

We'll all be able to see in the long run what happens. Everyone should just sit tight and see the reality of it all before saying goodbye to GiantBomb.

Outside of the Jeff incident, GameSpot has a long and storied history of being a shit show (and not in the good way that GB is normally a shit show). There's a reason I hadn't been to that site in five years prior today.

Also:

"I didn't get fired over the Kane and Lynch review!"

"Then why did you get fired?"

"Because I gave Kane and Lynch a bad review. And now I'm back!"

I think that there's a very realistic chance that this ends horribly.

Everyone who was apart of that deal is no longer with the company, there are completely different people running the company now. Did you even watch the video all the way through, or do you just want something to be up in arms about? Like Jeff said, his journalistic integrity conflicting with ad revenue wasn't a problem (and he had worked at GameSpot since it was founded in like '96) until the company changed hands.

You could argue that "oh geez what if it changes hands into someone malicious or to people who don't understand what journalists do for a living", and while the company could (and probably will) eventually change hands, that isn't a prelude to another GameSpot controversial incident. Look at it from a business perspective - if this kind of debacle happens again where Jeff's journalistic integrity isn't allowed to flourish and they have to leave the company again, can you even fathom how much that would literally be PR suicide for the GameSpot company and would solidify only the most horrible reputation for it? No businessman, no matter how cartoonishly evil you guys seem to think they are, would ever do that. They know how much it hurt the company last time and they know that they can't lean on Jeff and get him to back down. They are going to do everything in their power to keep Jeff (and by extension, GiantBomb) happy, and that generally means letting them continue to do whatever the fuck they want.

I know you like the drama but let it go. Have some common sense.

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1324  Edited By andymp

Where do the subscriptions go now? Straight to CBS? And why was Tested able to stay independent but not Giant Bomb? There's something not quite right about this arrangement given that Giant Bomb is surely in the better position to stand on its own two feet. And like I said yesterday, at some stage CBS will consolidate their gaming websites because they'll figure that they don't need two of them. And they'll swallow up everything Giant Bomb in to a "wonderful, big new... Gamespot".

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1325  Edited By RoyCampbell

Oh great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool to see Ryan Macdonald and Kevin Van Ord on a bombcast or quicklook.It was a trip seeing Jeff on the spot yesterday as great as Giantbomb is to me Gamespot from 1996-2006 was the best they had the best editors,Like Greg Kasavin,Jason Ocampo ect.. .I remember looking forward to on the spot every Thursday when Rich hosted it those where great times anyways congrats on the deal guys this will be very interesting GB is the best these days though no doubt.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1327  Edited By Willy105

@AndyMP said:

given that Giant Bomb is surely in the better position to stand on its own two feet.

No it's not, unless you want more Meebo bars and pop up ads.

colinjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1328  Edited By colinjw

@sungahymn: So if things go well you will say you "kept the faith" and if they go badly you will say "told you so". What?! did you even think about that?

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1329  Edited By Brighty

@Willy105 said:

@AndyMP said:

given that Giant Bomb is surely in the better position to stand on its own two feet.

No it's not, unless you want more Meebo bars and pop up ads.

2/10 see me after class

Supah_Ted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1330  Edited By Supah_Ted

pease do not add any numpties. you guys are perfect as is.

EDIT: also, i cannot see shit on gamespot about giantbomb??? what is the deal?

MrAmazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1331  Edited By MrAmazing

I think this is great news! I trust that the GB guys are not idiots and they know what they are doing.

And I vote "yes" for video podcasts. They should do it like at least once a month or something...

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1332  Edited By sungahymn

@Ariketh said:

It's too bad JustinTV doesn't work in China.

I know, right? The GameSpot videos work, so you can watch that On the Spot show that talks about this transition if you haven't already.

Hishighness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1333  Edited By Hishighness

I just cancelled my subscription. And yes, I do understand that Whiskey Media doesn't have Giant Bomb anymore so it won't effect Giant Bomb at all but I just had to do it anyway.

I have to say though, good job. You guys had me totally fooled. I guess a lot of it is my fault though, I thought I was supporting a relatively small company with people who knew what the evils of the big corporate world were, I didn't really dig deeper than that.

Mistakes are supposed to be how we learn and grow. What I've learned from this is a horrible yet necessary lesson. That corruption and greed will always win in the end. Because they never give up, and they can bring down the best of us.

The more I see of this world the less I want to be a part of it, when you see a champion you've cheered for and believed in sell out to the enemy it guts you inside. I know it's just a website to some, but to me Jeff, Ryan, Vinnie and Brad were the little guys that emerged from the ashes of corporate Hell and showed them they could do just fine on their own.

And now this.

Flame me all you care to, because I won't be here to read any of it.

RIP Things to believe in.

Hyperplasia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1334  Edited By Hyperplasia

I've had my finger on the 'subscribe' button here multiple times over the past couple of years...crap like this makes me glad I never hit subscribe.

Congrads, suits.

Darthozzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1335  Edited By Darthozzan

Comment number 1337 yeahhhh :D

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1336  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

The comments are pretty funny, because a lot of people seem to be blaiming the Giant Bomb guys for this move.

For those folks, it is simply this. They either do this, or they do not exist. Whiskey Media was being sold no matter what, it was about trying to find a place that Giant Bomb and Comic Vine can continue to exist in the form that they do today. Jeff talked about there being several suitors for the site, but they went with CBSi in the end. At the moment, the team is very vehement about things remaining the same, and I have no reason to believe anything else.

I just wish that they could get everyone together for one last show, but seeing how fast the deals got finalized, I understand the impossibility behind it all.

Bratcher_Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1337  Edited By Bratcher_Lev

I bet this is what it feels like to have your child go away to college. You're proud of them that they're moving up in the world, meeting people and doing what they have to do to thrive, but at the same time you realize deep down that the tight-knit family that drank and evaluated energy drinks for fun now will never quite be the same.

As far as Tested goes, I am a huge fan of the Mythbusters crew and I know that the partnership will do nothing but grow the Tested name. But at the same time, they seem to be much too serious and professional for the likes of PengWill and Drunken Will. And I'll be honest-- I am a duder through and through, but if I were honest with myself I would say that Drunken Will has been the highlight of the whiskey media experience.

So Giant Bomb and CV goes to GS and CBS, Tested goes to the Mythbusters people-- that leaves Anime Vice and Screened. Anime Vice is some kind of robot it seems, no one personality is attached to it so it can go away and not hurt anyone's paycheck. Then there's Screened. Alex already destabilized it by moving back to NYC. Nothing against him, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Matt Rorie really steps up and takes the lead as sole Screened personality. And this is saying something. The very first screened videos showed a soft, moderately scared Rorie that was not unlike the puppies he's so fond of. As we all know, this is no longer the Rorie we know, and all it seemed to take was a bit of time and a couple cold ones. I hope against hope that Rorie pulls through this in a way that works to his benefit.

I'm excited for everyone and hope it all works out.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1338  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@Brighty:When you're done editing the tone and direction of your posts you might want to actually read one of the many comments you keep mass-replying to. You know, you could share your excitement about your new corporate masters without constantly trolling people whose opinion you neither read nor are able to understand. Someone already told you that you don't need to "comeback" if you still have nothing to say. But wait ... you're reading none of this, so in a way you're right: it IS a waste of my time to pay further attention to that. I'm out.

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1339  Edited By kist

At first I was skeptical but I believe you all want the same as us (the fans) do, and can't wait to see what happens from here onwards. Congratz to all you guys

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1340  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Are you fucking kidding me?

You guys are going to be quitting Gamespot a second time around. 
    Seriously: what has changed in 4 years time that would make it 
    better to go back?  How the hell will you have VanOrd review Game X
    with Gerstmann review Game X on two separate websites without 
    overlap & why would any company with any business sense keep it 
    that  way? 

Are the language filters coming?  Will I be prevented from saying 
    fuckity fuck fuck & shutdown for a few days on the GS forums?

I hope the next altercation that causes the boys to leave is 
    Gerstmann & VanOrd duking it out once & for all.

Joking aside, this is some seriously shitty news!  One day I'll
    gome to GB & it'll redirect me to GS & it'll all be this big
    homogenized piece of shit.  No more GB podcasts. AAGGH!!

Mdk5631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1341  Edited By Mdk5631

@DrDarkStryfe: @DrDarkStryfe said:

The comments are pretty funny, because a lot of people seem to be blaiming the Giant Bomb guys for this move.

For those folks, it is simply this. They either do this, or they do not exist. Whiskey Media was being sold no matter what, it was about trying to find a place that Giant Bomb and Comic Vine can continue to exist in the form that they do today. Jeff talked about there being several suitors for the site, but they went with CBSi in the end. At the moment, the team is very vehement about things remaining the same, and I have no reason to believe anything else.

I just wish that they could get everyone together for one last show, but seeing how fast the deals got finalized, I understand the impossibility behind it all.

Giantbomb sale to CBS was the primary event, Whiskey Media just sold off the scraps after Giantbomb was off to their CBS overlords

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There's no way Giant Bomb was profitable at any point during their existence until now. They're not selling out at all. They're keeping the site alive. They've run the site for 5 years with nearly no advertising and practically their sole source of revenue coming from subscriptions starting up 2 years ago. They had around 20,000 subscribers, that's million bucks, then take into account all the equipment, employees, and content Whiskey Media had and there's nothing left. Some people are such selfish jerks. Giant Bomb can't be losing money forever just to please you.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1343  Edited By Brighty

@Baal_Sagoth said:

@Brighty:When you're done editing the tone and direction of your posts you might want to actually read one of the many comments you keep mass-replying to. You know, you could share your excitement about your new corporate masters without constantly trolling people whose opinion you neither read nor are able to understand. Someone already told you that you don't need to "comeback" if you still have nothing to say. But wait ... you're reading none of this, so in a way you're right: it IS a waste of my time to pay further attention to that. I'm out.

Did you really just say "corporate masters" unironically here? Dude, holy shit, your mind is so cartoonishly out of touch with reality and how the world actually works that I almost feel guilty calling you out to begin with. Then again, this sounds about par for the people that are up in arms about this deal anyway.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1344  Edited By SmilingPig

If it prevents their paycheques from bouncing, good for them.

Beside, Jeff habits are expansives.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1345  Edited By Brighty

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

There's no way Giant Bomb was profitable at any point during their existence until now. They're not selling out at all. They're keeping the site alive. They've run the site for 5 years with nearly no advertising and practically their sole source of revenue coming from subscriptions starting up 2 years ago. They had around 20,000 subscribers, that's million bucks, then take into account all the equipment, employees, and content Whiskey Media had and there's nothing left. Some people are such selfish jerks. Giant Bomb can't be losing money forever just to please you.

Exactly. The sense of entitlement some people have in this community is borderline infuriating. I can't believe how quickly they make up all these wild fantasies in their heads and fucking turn on the guys that have selflessly brought us endless hours of entertainment and enjoyment. For as much as some of these users prided themselves on their sense of community, their hypocrisy really shows through here. It really rustles my jimmies because my heart goes out to the GB crew and I know they have to be reading over the comments section and seeing this shit.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1346  Edited By Grimluck343

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

This is kind of accurate. The reality of the situation is that they've been playing with house money this entire time through the millions they raised in venture capital and angel funding. As a pure business deal, all of this makes sense.

@Brighty said:

Everyone who was apart of that deal is no longer with the company, there are completely different people running the company now. Did you even watch the video all the way through, or do you just want something to be up in arms about? Like Jeff said, his journalistic integrity conflicting with ad revenue wasn't a problem (and he had worked at GameSpot since it was founded in like '96) until the company changed hands.

You could argue that "oh geez what if it changes hands into someone malicious or to people who don't understand what journalists do for a living", and while the company could (and probably will) eventually change hands, that isn't a prelude to another GameSpot controversial incident. Look at it from a business perspective - if this kind of debacle happens again where Jeff's journalistic integrity isn't allowed to flourish and they have to leave the company again, can you even fathom how much that would literally be PR suicide for the GameSpot company and would solidify only the most horrible reputation for it? No businessman, no matter how cartoonishly evil you guys seem to think they are, would ever do that. They know how much it hurt the company last time and they know that they can't lean on Jeff and get him to back down. They are going to do everything in their power to keep Jeff (and by extension, GiantBomb) happy, and that generally means letting them continue to do whatever the fuck they want.

I know you like the drama but let it go. Have some common sense.

I posted this elsewhere, I'll just copy and paste it here.

Bingo. You can paint as rosy a picture as you want but the fact of the matter is that the same corporation that fired Jeff for costing them ad revenue is the same corporation that they're going back to work for now. The novelty of Giant Bomb was that they answered to no one, there was no one at the top trying to influence things. I'm sure at the start everything will be all rainbows and puppy dogs, but what happens two years from now when CBSi looks to start making budget cuts? Do they fire staff? Do they question why they have two websites covering the exact same thing? In the past, none of this mattered because Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media were in control of these decisions. Now the decision goes to the corporate overlord who doesn't care how funny Brad or Vinny are, they're looking at numbers in a spreadsheet and want to cut payroll, therefore they get the ax.

If the duders are happy, then I'm happy for them. I'm sure they all got nice pay raises and as was mentioned above they definitely earned it. But I think it's a little naive to say "nothing's changing! Everything's staying the same, except only better." These guys got burned working for the man before, it's the whole reason this site exists to begin with. It's within the realm of possibility to say that it could happen again.

Fake edit: I sound like a goddamn Occupy Wall Street hippy.

Real edit: typos and such.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1347  Edited By avantegardener

Hmmmm.

Mdk5631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1348  Edited By Mdk5631

@Brighty said:

@Baal_Sagoth said:

Did you really just say "corporate masters" unironically here? Dude, holy shit, your mind is so cartoonishly out of touch with reality and how the world actually works that I almost feel guilty calling you out to begin with. Then again, this sounds about par for the people that are up in arms about this deal anyway.

If you are unaware of what CBS's market cap is (or what a market cap is), if you think that there is a differences between democrat and republican, if you are not afraid of the corporate masters...

then most likely you are the one who is out of touch with reality.

The middle class has been destroyed in this country and no one has noticed because 4 big companies (Disney, CBS, FOXNews, and Viacom) control what is seen on TV, in print and on the internet.

To Brighty: How much you make a week and how much do you have in a investment account?

You think its like that by coincidence?

Bionix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1349  Edited By Bionix

I have to say i feel pretty let down by these guys. I have not visited Gamespot in such a long time since Jeff was fired actually. That site was never that great but after the INCIDENT i just felt it was garbage. I been following this crew because of what they do and how different they are.

I hope they stay the same but come on guys for you saying nothing will change. No large corporation hands a company they take over a blank check and says do whatever the hell you want to. There are always rules and changes that have to be made. I really hope this site doesn't turn into the same crap at gamespot.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1350  Edited By illegalnull

Oh the irony! I trust that the bombers will keep it real. And pancakes! (with real maple syrup)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.