Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2014

Concept »

The fifth annual PAX East took place April 11-13, 2014 at the Boston Exhibition & Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Marino's PAX Guide v4.0

• 77 results
    peterious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Will an hour be enough time to get into the Giant Bomb panel? I wanna see the Mega64 panel which ends at 8. Also if you know what type of seats I'd be getting I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks!

Mully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@marino said:

@mully said:

Where are Giantbomber's meeting up?

I don't think there's any sort of official meet up. At least not right now.

W
    ould anyone be down for a post GB panel meetup?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@peteisfat: You probably shouldn't have a problem getting a seat, however you will not be getting a good seat. Like @natetodamax stated, a great seat means waiting 2 hours in line.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By matt
    @dalai said:

@peteisfat: You probably shouldn't have a problem getting a seat, however you will not be getting a good seat. Like @natetodamax stated, a great seat means waiting 2 hours in line.

While that's true I wouldn't consider waiting in the line a negative. I've had some great time in the line just chatting it up with like-minded duders.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By endoworks

@matt: Matt is right, the GiantBomb line is one of the best lines of the whole event.

@peteisfat: I was going to do exactly the same thing last year but I got to Mega64 right as the line filled up so I went to the GB line and waiting an hour before it started and I was in the middle of the room. I will defiantly get there 2 hours early this year.

@mully: Yes

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait for the GB Panel. i am not afraid to wait any number of hours. its 99% why im going. now i just gotta get rid of my friday badges...

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
    Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GB line is always the most insane thing I see at PAX.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Quick question, not 100% sure they're doing backpacks this year, and I believe they mentioned something about handing out swag bags this year... Am I right about that?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matt said:
    @dalai said:

While that's true I wouldn't consider waiting in the line a negative. I've had some great time in the line just chatting it up with like-minded duders.

I was introduced to Spaceteam in the line last year so yeah, the best 2-hour wait I've ever experienced.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What's the merchandise end of it like?

Do people buy booths to sell stuff or have an artist's alley kind of thing or is it mainly penny arcade related stuff?

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjbsterling: The only Penny Arcade related merch booth is the official one. The are a lot of other booths with gaming related stuff for sale.

@earlessshrimp: They do swag bags every year. It's a small plastic bag that's mainly filled with stuff you don't want.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Shuttle schedule got posted! In combination with the year-long extended hours public transit program, there is no shortage of regular busing between the convention center and the hotels. In past years I've always opted to walk and I'm definitely going to try busing more often. I'm glad to see my hotel has a shuttle again this year.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#63 Marino  Staff

What's the merchandise end of it like?

Do people buy booths to sell stuff or have an artist's alley kind of thing or is it mainly penny arcade related stuff?

Like Matt said, there's several merch-type booths scattered around, but there's no specific area for it.

On a related note, the maps are out!

I've uploaded them to the image gallery here.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus fuck, I regret living in Europe every time there's a PAX going on. Ahh, maybe next year. :(

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
    RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulunga said:

Jesus fuck, I regret living in Europe every time there's a PAX going on. Ahh, maybe next year. :(

Yeah, I really would like to get to one of them. I might plan a trip to the US at a convenient time next year.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I just visited PA for a week, too. Maybe next year. Or maybe they could use some of that CBS money to visit London.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eccentrix: @redsquirrelbrown: @paulunga: As a fellow European/Londoner I can't recommend PAX enough. I know it's not cheap but I truly believe it's worth every penny. If you're gonna go I say try PAX East first. Obviously it's cheaper and I think it's the better PAX.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone have any input on the restroom situation? by that i mean, are they usually packed like at a concert?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Marino  Staff

anyone have any input on the restroom situation? by that i mean, are they usually packed like at a concert?

It's generally not too bad. I guess it's more crowded the closer to the lobby you are.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By matt

ATMs seems to have the biggest lines and most of them run out of cash before the day is out.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Couple things will Giant Bomb be having a booth? Also is $200 cash enough you think I really do not plan to buy anything and for big purchases I do have my credit card.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By matt

@jamin724: Giant Bomb will not have a booth. You could do it with $200. I've done it before it may be cutting it a little close.

Sen0r_Awes0me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Sen0r_Awes0me

I have two suggestions to make. One of which I really should be keeping a SECRET, but you guys all seem rad and I should meet people and spread love and what not.

1. The South Station Food Court is like a 15-20 minute walk from the BCEC and they have much more reasonably-priced and diverse options than the convention food.

2. If you are driving into Boston for PAX East, there is a parking garage next to Northeastern University and an Orange Line MBTA stop called the Renaissance Garage that charges a $6 Weekend guest rate from 6:00pm-Friday until 12:00am/Midnight-Monday morning. That's where I'll be storing mine.

Not So Secret Link

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#76  Edited By asmo917

I've only been to two PAXs (East 2012, Prime 2013) but my advice would be to try new things. I think Marino's touched on this a bit, but it bears repeating in my mind. Sit down for a random card/board/video game demo you didn't have planned out. Pop into a panel you maybe weren't planning on or weren't sure about seeing. There's so much to do and so many options, trying something new will, at worst, result in you learning you don't like a game or a genre and can avoid it. Best case, you find a new favorite thing. Take advantage of the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone while there are people around to help you discover new stuff.

skytbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By skytbest

Does anyone know if any of the giant bomb guys are gonna be on the Cards Against Humanity panel? Their bar meetup is during the same time.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Marino  Staff

@skytbest said:

Does anyone know if any of the giant bomb guys are gonna be on the Cards Against Humanity panel? Their bar meetup is during the same time.

No one knows for sure.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#80  Edited By musubi

The description of the Giantbomb panel is incredible.

No Caption Provided

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So were the duders on any panels that were broadcast yesterday?

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else hanging in the pre-line-line for the panel?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.