Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2011

Concept »

The eighth annual Penny Arcade Expo took place from August 26-28, 2011 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

Marino's PAX Guide to PAX

• 73 results
    Valwryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Valwryn
    @Marino said:
    " @UnsolvedParadox: That's okay. I broke my own rule by not going to concerts this year in favor of the Giant Bomb related activities Friday and Saturday night. I'm glad the guide worked for you. 

@Valwryn: Awesome. How was it going to TGS? After so many E3's and PAX's, I hope to make it there one day. "
    TGS is a fucking madhouse! I've never seen so many people packed into one place. The craziest part of it, is each company has their own stage/speaker setup, which face towards the center of the convention floor, so when you're walking the main floor you have 6 simultaneous presentations being screamed at you in Japanese... mildly entertaining.

Really I only spent about 2 hours at TGS and spend the rest of the time seeing the area. Having just attended every second of Pax'09, sleeping for a week because of pax pox, then leaving for Japan 2 weeks later for another Video-game convention, I wasn't exactly in the mood to absorb digital media. Makes me feel sorry of the GB guys sometimes, of how many times they have to review those incremental "sneak peaks" convention after convention.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By ch3burashka

As a frequenter of PAX Prime, I can confirm the importance of these bullet points. All 3 years I've gone I came in late on Sunday; sleep deprivation kicks in like a motherfucker during those 3 days. The concerts are awesome, though I was a retard the first year and didn't go. I believe that was '08, when JoCo was there (FUUUUUU....). As for swag... it seems cool at the moment, but give it a second's thought - do you really need it? If you grab everything, you'll come home with 20 shirts, and give half of them away or throw them away within a month. As for planning for panels, do your best but I can assure you that schedule will get fucked up - you will most likely miss half of them in favor of standing in line. 

I just thought of a new bulletpoint: BRING FOOD. Cannot stress that enough. The lines for the Subway are as long as the lines for the games, and since it's a line for food as opposed to a line for games, it feels like a waste of time. Either buy a Meatball sub at 8AM (that'll keep you full all day, trust me), or bring your own food. 

Also, as a basic rule, don't be an asshole; be courteous, and don't carry 7 swag bags around with you. 

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By rentfn
    @natetodamax said:
    " I couldn't find anyone selling cookies. Were they there? "
    I saw them walk by a few times in line. I asked if they had any dairy free cookies and they felt so bad that they didn't. One guy promised to make some next year and hunt me down.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By YoungFrey

I'll add a few things.  

If you want to buy stuff, Sunday sees tons of price drops as dealers try to unload everything.   

I have no actual epidemology experience, but those beanbag piles are probably more risk then benefit.    And to clear up the general advice on avoiding disease.  Washing your hands after using the bathroom protects other people.  Washing your hands before you eat or otherwise put them in your body protects you.  So you should really do both.   

If you want to look cool and unique, remember that nearly everyone at PAX will try to do it in the same way as you.   Every Penny Arcade T-shirt will be well represented(I don't really get that, but hey whatever they want to do in cool).  Threadless is all over the place, etc ...  So try a little harder if the idea of being next to another guy wearing your coolest shirt bothers you.     

Follow the Official PAX account on Twitter if you can.  They give advice on long lines at a time when you can still get in them.   

If your dinner isn't going to be fast food, make some reservations, even multiples (but don't be a dick and go crazy).   

If you have any interest in autographs, take 2 colors of Sharpie.   

Prepare for the minor injuries and ailments.  Pack asprin, anti-diahreahals, moleskin(goes in your shoes to prevent/ameliorate blisters), and some cold pills. 

If you don't have tickets and still want to go, there are always scalpers outside the front door.  You will pay extra (I really don't know what), and there are guys who will try to pass modded old badges off as current.   

After the Giant Bomb panel, they go to a bar to hang, but they answer questions in the hall first.  That might take an hour or more, so if you go straight to the watering hole pbe prepared for a long wait. 
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By big_jon

It's sad that people have to be reminded to have a shower each day, especially when so many are fat nerds who sweat a lot.

I ask, when is the Metroid metal concert? I want to see that.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By YoungFrey

@big_jon said:

It's sad that people have to be reminded to have a shower each day, especially when so many are fat nerds who sweat a lot.

I ask, when is the Metroid metal concert? I want to see that.

Metroid Metal is Friday night opposite the Giant Bomb panel. If it helps your choice any, they always release the GB panel on video later.

Personally, I'd recommend 2 showers for a lot of people. If you are at a convention all day, you will smell like hell long before the end.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#57  Edited By Hailinel

@YoungFrey said:

Personally, I'd recommend 2 showers for a lot of people. If you are at a convention all day, you will smell like hell long before the end.

This is why I'm thankful that PAX Prime is in Seattle. I can go home, sleep, shower, and head right back.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#58  Edited By StarvingGamer

Just makes me sadder that I won't be able to go to PAX this year :'(

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#59  Edited By Marino  Staff

If you're going to PAX Prime this week, these guidelines and tips still apply!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Man this is a GREAT guide! Makes me ALL the more jealous... Have a great time duders!

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By jkuc316

Is there a livestream for PAX Prime?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By Lukeweizer

I would also suggest NOT losing your badge. In '08, the part of my badge where I clip it to the lanyard broke and I lost the badge. I went to the help desk but they wouldn't help me. Said they were 'out of badges'. I was fucking choked. So I went back to my hotel room only to find out that my friend bitched them out till they magically found a spare badge that 'just showed'. Hang on to your badges for dear life.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Marino  Staff

@jkuc316 said:

Is there a livestream for PAX Prime?

Not that I'm aware of. I know the GB guys don't live stream the panel. I heard Ryan say once that it would be disrespectful to the people there. In 2009, they showed stuff to the live crowd that was not included in the archive footage.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Lukeweizer said:

I would also suggest NOT losing your badge. In '08, the part of my badge where I clip it to the lanyard broke and I lost the badge. I went to the help desk but they wouldn't help me. Said they were 'out of badges'. I was fucking choked. So I went back to my hotel room only to find out that my friend bitched them out till they magically found a spare badge that 'just showed'. Hang on to your badges for dear life.

Yeah. Losing your badge would be bad. I used to be real paranoid about it during E3, but at least there your name is on the badge and they have a record of you if you lose it. At PAX, it's all anonymous for the most part.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Lukeweizer said:

Make sure you bring your confirmation email with you (and anything similar that came in your packet).  My badge didn't come in the mail and I was told I could just bring the registration info to them to get mine.  So if you lose yours, that is probably your best bet. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By natetodamax

Even if you don't plan on buying anything, bringing a backpack is definitely essential because the amount of free stuff you can easily get is crazy. I remember at PAX East 2011 my brother would disappear around a corner and show up 10 seconds later with two more shirts.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Samaritan

So as someone who's never been to PAX before but is going this year, looking at the provided floor map, many of the theaters are missing from it. How easy are those theaters to find in a pinch?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Progn0sticator said:

So as someone who's never been to PAX before but is going this year, looking at the provided floor map, many of the theaters are missing from it. How easy are those theaters to find in a pinch?

The other maps are on the apps you can download. I haven't found them where I can upload them here. http://pax2011.crowdcompass.com/apps

But either way, there are many "World Maps" posted around the convention center. And, when you arrive, you will be given a swag bag that has a program in it. There is a map in there too.

The Enforcers will help direct you if you get lost though. Just look for the blue shirts.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By YoungFrey

Being in a convention center and hotel meeting space, some places might look obvious on a map but be difficult to path too.  I know last year, they had what was nearly a hidden floor being accessible only from the back stairs in one hall (I think, even if there was another route that still proves my point because I couldn't find it either).   

So, what Marino said, ask Enforcers. 
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Marino  Staff

@YoungFrey said:

Being in a convention center and hotel meeting space, some places might look obvious on a map but be difficult to path too. I know last year, they had what was nearly a hidden floor being accessible only from the back stairs in one hall (I think, even if there was another route that still proves my point because I couldn't find it either). So, what Marino said, ask Enforcers.

You can get there from an escalator in the Expo Hall (which was not there in previous years) or you can get there from outside across the street from the main entrance. That area is the Pike Street Annex and will be where Halo Fest (among other things) are located this year.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Samaritan

Is it a good idea to bring anything else from my pre-registration packet with me to the show besides just the badge?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @Progn0sticator You most likely won't need it, but it c
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Marino  Staff

What I meant to say is that it couldn't hurt.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Samaritan

Thanks again, this guide will be invaluable!

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#75  Edited By SMTDante89

One new tip that may need to be added is to watch out for Scalpers. @Official_PAX tweeted this about three hours ago.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.