Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Are you sick of Multiplatform Bashing?

• 60 results
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Hamz
    Jordan23 said:
    "I'm just getting tired of all these multiplatforming games in general. These developers nowadays should start creating new IP's for the gaming market. You can only milk a game for so long before it start to get stale.
    "
    Amen to that, far too many developers have fallen into the "cash cow" frame of mind where they feel they have to pump out sequel after sequel for the same gaming series. The rumoured Halo 4 being a prime example.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By chililili

Sorry to hijack thread here, but how exactly is Bioshock dumbed down for consoles? Haven't played on it a console yet so I don't know.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By xruntime
    chililili said:
    "Sorry to hijack thread here, but how exactly is Bioshock dumbed down for consoles? Haven't played on it a console yet so I don't know."
    People say that it is dumbed down because Bioshock, the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, is very easy to beat, ammo is plentiful, and gameplay is much less complicated than its forerunner. And I can attest to that - System Shock 2 is very complex - but I don't think complexity necessarily makes a good game. I hated System Shock 2, you can see my 2 1/2 star review of it on my profile.
    Wildstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Wildstar
    Yeah, I don't like all the platform bashing. If it's a good game, it's a good game and that should translate across all platforms. Right now, I'm loving Mass Effect. I just finished Advent Rising. Both were available on other platforms.

biggest_loser
    said:
    "Who is sick of hearing people rubbishing great games just because they were released on other platforms besides PC?

Recently - at a certain other game site which shall remain nameless - I got quite sick of hearing it. To me it is just cynical. Sure people are entitled to their opinions but this is just ridiculous and unjustified.

I made a thread about COD5 and the new weapons and perks and all they did was say how bad COD4 was." 
    Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    chililili said:
    "Sorry to hijack thread here, but how exactly is Bioshock dumbed down for consoles? Haven't played on it a console yet so I don't know."
    It was dumbed down since it wasn't a very good successor to SS2. It had nowhere near the depth of SS2, and all of the roleplaying elements that made SS2 great were absent in Bioshock. You can use every single weapon and every single plasmid in the game, hack anything you want as many times as you want, the difficulty was very easy and you respawn right after you die with all your weapons and ammo, and the hacking (or plumbing) system was way too simplistic and repetetive. This shift from the roleplaying and depth stuff might have been okay if Bioshock were good on the shooting aspect, but the gunplay was very lacking for being an engaging shooter. The weapons were weak, you fight the exact same enemies over and over again (splicers), and the AI, save for a few unique routine paths, wasn't impressive at all. The worst thing of all was how 2K made the game out to be before its release. I remember seeing a preview video narrated by Ken Levine where he basically said that he was going to revolutionize the first person shooter genre and advance it in so many ways, and overhaul the "cookie cutter AI in every other game". The game wasn't bad, but it didn't deliver on all the "revolutionary " stuff at all and was a disappointment to everyone hoping for something more like SS2, but instead got a watered-down version of it. With most of the depth from SS2 gone, you are left with an average shooter (although the story and presentation of the game were very well done).
    biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By biggest_loser
    Colonel_Cool said:
    "chililili said:
    It was dumbed down since it wasn't a very good successor to SS2. It had nowhere near the depth of SS2, and all of the roleplaying elements that made SS2 great were absent in Bioshock. You can use every single weapon and every single plasmid in the game, hack anything you want as many times as you want, the difficulty was very easy and you respawn right after you die with all your weapons and ammo, and the hacking (or plumbing) system was way too simplistic and repetetive. This shift from the roleplaying and depth stuff might have been okay if Bioshock were good on the shooting aspect, but the gunplay was very lacking for being an engaging shooter. The weapons were weak, you fight the exact same enemies over and over again (splicers), and the AI, save for a few unique routine paths, wasn't impressive at all. The worst thing of all was how 2K made the game out to be before its release. I remember seeing a preview video narrated by Ken Levine where he basically said that he was going to revolutionize the first person shooter genre and advance it in so many ways, and overhaul the "cookie cutter AI in every other game". The game wasn't bad, but it didn't deliver on all the "revolutionary " stuff at all and was a disappointment to everyone hoping for something more like SS2, but instead got a watered-down version of it. With most of the depth from SS2 gone, you are left with an average shooter (although the story and presentation of the game were very well done)."

Its goddamn separate game from SS2 - you want it to have all that crap? Then go and make SS3 yourself.

There is a patch to turn off the chamber? Why not use the quick save/quick load function if you don't want to respawn.

The weapons had been under the ocean for 20 years! What do you expect?! You want the AI to be impressive? They retreated, ran to health machines. Why would they have tactics? They were just ordinary people.

The action is a lot better than in SS2 and its more fun since its not overly difficult to play. The environments are far more interesting too.

Like you say 2K made it out to be something else: hello? What developer doesn't do that? They are selling the game.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By xruntime

The chambers exist in SS2, except you just respawn with half health. I'm not sure what the big difference is...

As biggest_loser said, it's a totally different game. You shouldn't really expect it to be SS3.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By ThomasP
    biggest_loser said:
    "Yeah that sort of rubbish. I want to bring an end to this system war."
    lol

Good luck.

Myself, I enjoy all systems. I only own a Wii and PC but all systems out at the moment have a lot to offer any gamer.
    Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    biggest_loser said:

Its goddamn separate game from SS2 - you want it to have all that crap? Then go and make SS3 yourself.

There is a patch to turn off the chamber? Why not use the quick save/quick load function if you don't want to respawn.

The weapons had been under the ocean for 20 years! What do you expect?! You want the AI to be impressive? They retreated, ran to health machines. Why would they have tactics? They were just ordinary people.

The action is a lot better than in SS2 and its more fun since its not overly difficult to play. The environments are far more interesting too.

Like you say 2K made it out to be something else: hello? What developer doesn't do that? They are selling the game.
    "
    If I am not mistaken, many of the weapons had been smuggled into Rapture by Fontaine and his guys, so not all of them had been sitting there for 20 years. And just cause they're vintage weapons doesn't mean they have to be wimpy. A Thompson submachinegun or a shotgun are still powerful weapons, even if they are based on 80 year old designs. If the weapons design overall had made them feel more powerful then it would have been a good thing and wouldn't have ruined the atmosphere at all.

Also, just because the Splicers are ordinary people doesn't mean they shouldn't be smart. (And to be fair, these people aren't just ordinary, they were handpicked to live in Rapture because of their qualities in different fields of work). Bioshock was different from SS2 because of more of a focus on combat, but unfortunately the combat aspect wasn't very special because of average AI (and the devs said they were going to set a new bar for game AI).

SS2 was a difficult game, but it was more slower paced and required more forethought to play it right. It's the thinking and the challenge that I loved about the game, and it really shouldn't be considered a traditional shooter. If the devs wanted to change the complexity of the game in exchange for more action, that is perfectly fine, but it has to be a damn fine shooter to make up for it, which unfortunately wasn't the case.
    biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By biggest_loser
    Colonel_Cool said:
    "biggest_loser said:

"
    If I am not mistaken, many of the weapons had been smuggled into Rapture by Fontaine and his guys, so not all of them had been sitting there for 20 years. And just cause they're vintage weapons doesn't mean they have to be wimpy. A Thompson submachinegun or a shotgun are still powerful weapons, even if they are based on 80 year old designs. If the weapons design overall had made them feel more powerful then it would have been a good thing and wouldn't have ruined the atmosphere at all.

Also, just because the Splicers are ordinary people doesn't mean they shouldn't be smart. (And to be fair, these people aren't just ordinary, they were handpicked to live in Rapture because of their qualities in different fields of work). Bioshock was different from SS2 because of more of a focus on combat, but unfortunately the combat aspect wasn't very special because of average AI (and the devs said they were going to set a new bar for game AI).

SS2 was a difficult game, but it was more slower paced and required more forethought to play it right. It's the thinking and the challenge that I loved about the game, and it really shouldn't be considered a traditional shooter. If the devs wanted to change the complexity of the game in exchange for more action, that is perfectly fine, but it has to be a damn fine shooter to make up for it, which unfortunately wasn't the case.
    "
    lol: you are kidding yourself. Just because someone is smart doesn't mean they are going to have tactical training! I go to University but I'm not a Commando....yet.

There was nothing wrong with the weapons at all. They weren't as powerful as they could have been made to put an emphasis on the powers!

Well I think it was a damn fine shooter! And nothing you are going to say is going to change my mind. You just keep making up these weird arguments about it not being SS2 - well sorry but its a whole new game, with a completely different approach. If you want SS3 well play the second game. Blow the dust off it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.