Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building a new rig for school/gaming: Rate it!

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Giantsquirrel

So I'm putting together some "build lists" on Newegg.com and checking prices and specs constantly for a new gaming computer (and also for college :). Just wanted some feedback from the pros to see if I've got any incompatibilities in my future setup or just to critique it!

Here's the one I'm thinking of ordering:

CoolerMaster Cosmos S (Black Aluminum)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (x2)

EVGA GTX 295 (If I can find one)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Sound Card

Corsair 750W PSU

Corsair Dominator 6GB

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Mobo

Core i7 920

LG Black 6x BD-ROM 16x DVD-ROM

Should round out to be about $2000

I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers, my only question is whether or not the 750W PSU will handle the GTX 295 or if I'll need to step it up. Thanks everybody.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

No ATi, not rate worthy. ATi for life.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BigBoss1911

Man you got money to spend eh?Looks good.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @dcpc10 said:
    "
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    " No ATi, not rate worthy. ATi for life. "
    I was huge fan of ATi, until I found out they didn't give a shit about their consumers. "
    Same. Sorry, I'm gonna go for Nvidia on the high end. I do have an ATI card in my laptop and it works great at the low-mid range.
    dozerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dozerking

very nice, I don't thnk I'd change a thing, besides maybe the GPU.  There's a pretty hefty price tag for the performance. Still, if you have the cash to burn, do it

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I am jealous of that setup. :)

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @dozerking said:
    " very nice, I don't thnk I'd change a thing, besides maybe the GPU.  There's a pretty hefty price tag for the performance. Still, if you have the cash to burn, do it "
    I've got a Samsung T260HD that runs 1900x1200 and I want this machine to be my primary rig for 3-4 years, so I'm going for bleeding edge tech (and the Crysis benchmarks for that spec are very appealing).
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By VACkillers

is that 750 PSU going to be enough to run that graphics card with the rest of your rig? seems a bit too small to run a dual graphics card setup...

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

Go for the 850w corsair most likely.

Dunno why you are going 2 1TB drives. Go 500gig OS drive with 2 x 1 TB storages in a raid or a single 2 TB Western Digital. Everything else looks good, would go EVGA mobo over Asus however.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goodwood

you  might want to get a good headset for sound if you are going to be in a dorm.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Reuben
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    " No ATi, not rate worthy. ATi for life. "
    ATi make great cards but they really suck on the driver side of things. Every PC I've had with an ATi chip has somewhere down the line lost all of it's main features because of poorly updated drivers.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @VACkillers said:
    " is that 750 PSU going to be enough to run that graphics card with the rest of your rig? seems a bit too small to run a dual graphics card setup... "
    Specs on a BFG Tech 295 say it requires, at minimum, a 680W PSU, so I'm still a little uncertain. After moving out of the dorms next year I want to keep my electrical bills down as much as possible so I'm not sure which direction to go.
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maru

I would stay away from Creative sound cards.  I've heard their drivers are horrible, causing many crashes.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By VACkillers

yea i can definitely understand about the electric costs absolutely... but just to be safe then sorry with all the other good stuff your putting into this machine, i would go with an 800 WATT just to be safe.. and its still reasonable.... only 50 watts more but that can make all the difference in the stability of the machine as a whole...as you have to power a quad core cpu a big harddrive and quite a lot of high performance ram aswell... im sure you'll do your research anyway... check out some tech forums see what some more qualified experts suggest... im using 750 in mine right now with a GTX 260 216 core BFG, and i definitely wouldn't have gone to a lower psu as the system just about runs perfect under full load.

good luck man

Edit : nothing wrong with creative soundcards.... i've never experienced issues with them...

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @Maru said:
    " I would stay away from Creative sound cards.  I've heard their drivers are horrible, causing many crashes. "
    I thought that was Realtek...
    Avatar image for americanpegasus
    AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AmericanPegasus

It doesn't matter how many watts your PSU has, it'll only draw the amount it needs. A 1000W PSU powering a 350W will only take 350 Watts, so it doesn't really matter how much watts you get, your powerbill will be the same. What's more important is power efficency.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @AmericanPegasus said:
    " It doesn't matter how many watts your PSU has, it'll only draw the amount it needs. A 1000W PSU powering a 350W will only take 350 Watts, so it doesn't really matter how much watts you get, your powerbill will be the same. What's more important is power efficency. "
    Ok, so recommend me a suitable PSU. Please :)
    Avatar image for americanpegasus
    AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AmericanPegasus

Well assuming money isn't an issue, Corsair power supplies are such high quality they might be made by god himself so I'd keep your current one.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Player1

I realize that in the computer world, you get what you pay for....but I feel like you could get some lesser known brands and save ALOT of money. But still, you can't go wrong with quality. 

Also, for 200 dollars, you could get a WAY cooler case. :P not that that matters, but still. 
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Okay, I've gotten everything mostly sorted out, except the sound card. I might want to go with a cheaper alternative, since my PC won't be my default music player. Could anyone find me a solid sound card in the $50-$75 range?

Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.