Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building a PC after many years, need help/suggestions

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By totsboy

Hello!

I'm moving to a new country next month, so I decided it would be a good time to get a new PC (I've been using laptops for a while).

My idea is to spend something around 1k Pounds. If it's a bit more, no problem. I have no plans to buy a VR headset immediately but I would like to have a PC that can handle it if I decide to do it in the near future.

After some research, this is what I got.

And I will also need recommendations for Keyboard and mouse, since I'm moving I don't have anything. Nothing too fancy.

PC Part Picker Config

**CPU** Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor | £189.59 @ Aria PC

**Motherboard** | [MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | £80.73 @ Amazon UK

**Memory** | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory | £98.95 @ CCL Computers

**Storage** | Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | £45.88 @ Amazon UK

**Storage** | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | £45.57 @ Amazon UK

**Video Card** | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card | £229.92 @ Ebuyer

**Case** | NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case | £54.95 @ Amazon UK

**Power Supply** | Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply | £68.82 @ Alza

**Monitor** | BenQ GL2460HM 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor | £128.33 @ Amazon UK

| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

| **Total** | **£942.74**

| Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2017-01-03 13:20 GMT+0000 |

Is this Power Supply Enough?

Is the 1060 good enough for playing most games in 1080p 60?

Also, is Amazon Uk the best place to buy? I need a store that can ship to Cyprus.

Thanks!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I want to say PC Part Picker works like Tom's Hardware and will tell you if parts are incompatible or you don't have enough power from the power supply. So I'd think you'd be OK.

If I were personally putting a machine together I would want at least a 1070. I'm not convinced that the 1060 is worth the cost savings when starting from scratch. That also said it wasn't until last year that I upgraded from a 470 to a 770, so it isn't like you won't have a good time with the 1060.

Amazon in general has been good to work with for returns (in the USA anyhow). RAM and PSUs have been known to arrive DOA before.

Best of luck!!!

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1 Yeah I've been thinking about the 1070, but it's a considerable price jump (could get an ssd for that amount). But I'll keep an eye out, maybe there's a sale that makes it worth it.

Thanks for the feedback =)

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always recommend gold certified power supplies.

High performance parts like there clean power.

Other then that maybe a bigger primary SSD. 120 gigs is pushing it for modern OSes.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001 Did not know that was a thing! Thanks for the tip, will look into the gold certified ones!

About the ssd, as someone who's been usign a 120gb ssd ALONE on my laptop for a year, I thought it would be enough for windows 10. But depending on the price could be worth it.

@mellotronrules I saw that yesterday! I'm buying the PC in february, maybe it's too soon to expect a price cut by then?

Also, saw this Asus VivoPC X yesterday, is it worthy?
    First problem I see is that it might be hard to upgrade in the future, but the price seems good.

No Caption Provided

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd definitely go for the 1070 if you can squeeze a little more cash into your budget. It's the sweet spot for price and quality, and worth the extra dollars over the 1060. I would also suggest going to a 600w Power Supply (gold) for a bit of headroom and future proofing, since for all we know VR headsets could get more demanding in future iterations. PC part picker and Tom's hardware both seem to underestimate power supply consumption on their DIY pages, too. Finally, and possibly most important of these: more SSD is always better. It's a big quality of life improvement, and consider that you're getting a pretty bad ass PC, you're gonna wanna play games that really push it. Those games are typically huge in size, and running them on an SSD makes the experience oh so sweeter. For example, in my experience games like Total War Warhammer have huge differences in load times between HDD and SSD (we're talking over a minute on HDD versus <20 seconds on SSD) I really can't recommend it enough.

All that being said, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind taking a slightly bigger hit (within reason) price wise for quality of life improvements. If you think you can live without a huge SSD and minor future proofing and slightly less graphics, by all means save yourself the cash.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the laptop I have now was my first PC with an ssd, I don't think I can go back to not having it

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a 1060 would be perfect for 1080p60.

It would be nice to get a 1070 but with the monitor you are getting a 1060 would be fine.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd go with a bigger SSD off the bat. A few years back, I migrated from a Crucial SSD to a Samsung and it was a bitch to get it bootable. Once you try a game off an SSD, you may not want to go back to platter based drives, and a 120 gb SSD is going to hold one, maybe two big games nowadays after your Windows install. Doom was a 60 GB download...

I hate Intel stock coolers with a passion. The plastic peg system they use sucks - look at it wrong and a peg will pop out. The Coolermaster Evo 212 is cheap and screws onto a mounting bracket.

Unless you already have a copy, you'll also need to include a Windows license.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

How is no one asking you what you are going to do in Cyprus? Why move there? Job? Lady/Man? Undercover agent for a secret establishment you're not at liberty to discuss?

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, a 550 w PSU is more than enough, the 1060 is the most power consuming part of your computer, but even that takes like 20-25% of your total capacity.

If everything runs at 100%, you'd still have more than 250 w to spare I think, this is enough to not destroy your computer even when theres a blackout.

I have to say though that if you're willing to spend more, get a 600 w PSU and a 1070 gtx instead since a 1060 is not enough to run games like DOOM on max even on a 1080p setting.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By an_ancient

@zevvion: who cares? what are his RAM timings tho?

Joking aside. It's the same advice I seem to keep giving is why go for 2x8GB? I think you'll sooner swap out your GPU and maybe get more RAM later. Your motherboard supports 64GB, so I'd start with 1x16GB just so you aren't left with 2x8GB DIMM which you'll just throw away or have to find something to do with. The downside of course is that you're whole PC is unusable if that 16GB is bad.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

How is no one asking you what you are going to do in Cyprus? Why move there? Job? Lady/Man? Undercover agent for a secret establishment you're not at liberty to discuss?

hahaha let's just say my godfather made an offer I couldn't refuse.

But seriously, the company I work for is opening an office in Cyprus and offered me a position there. Apparently income taxes are very low in cyprus. It's also a very nice place, with incredibly delicious food, and not that different from the city I live now (south of Brazil).

I am a game developer, the company I work for makes casual mobile games (solitaire, yahtzee...). I'm also make my own games, but that's only on my free time.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hmoney001
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

@totsboy said:
    @zevvion said:

But seriously, the company I work for is opening an office in Cyprus and offered me a position there. Apparently income taxes are very low in cyprus. It's also a very nice place, with incredibly delicious food, and not that different from the city I live now (south of Brazil).

I am a game developer, the company I work for makes casual mobile games (solitaire, yahtzee...). I'm also make my own games, but that's only on my free time.

Paul Barnett is going to Cyprus to expand the World of Tanks, it sounds like a party over there!

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:
    @totsboy said:
    @zevvion said:

Paul Barnett is going to Cyprus to expand the World of Tanks, it sounds like a party over there!

Yeah, wargaming has a huge building there, and they are hiring/relocating a lot of people! But they are in Nicosia, the capital, I'm going to Limassol, more of a tourist destination town, way nicer though ;)

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Quantris

@an_ancient said:

@zevvion: who cares? what are his RAM timings tho?

Joking aside. It's the same advice I seem to keep giving is why go for 2x8GB? I think you'll sooner swap out your GPU and maybe get more RAM later. Your motherboard supports 64GB, so I'd start with 1x16GB just so you aren't left with 2x8GB DIMM which you'll just throw away or have to find something to do with. The downside of course is that you're whole PC is unusable if that 16GB is bad.

2 sticks is good to have to get dual channels going. It is true that 2x8 would end up redundant if the plan is to eventually fill up to 64GB...but assuming OP wants to go all the way to 64GB, it would also be annoying to match to a single existing 16GB module. Whereas if he's fine with 32GB ceiling then nothing is lost by going 2x8 now.
    EDIT: I guess technically the ceiling is 48GB (8+16+8+16)

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait for Ryzen in a month or two then make a choice between that and Kaby Lake, don't buy Skylake at this point.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By totsboy

@korwin: I never had an AMD, so I never consider them, is there much of a difference?

Some people mentioned 2x8 ram, I never really thought about the max. I think by the time I need 64 I will probably do a big upgrade on the computer, 32 or 48 max should be fine =)

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@totsboy: A 1060 is perfectly fine for a 1080p monitor. I'm very satisfied with mine.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PSU is one of the only components that's likely to make it into the next build, and maybe even the build after that, so I wouldn't hesitate too much about spending more money on it. 128GB is plenty for Windows 10 (I keep my Win10 install on a 60GB partition so I can scrap it and reinstall ASAP if the OS falls apart, as they always seem to do, and that partition is half full right now), but you'll only fit one or two recent AAA games on the SSD before you need to resort to the HDD for space, and that's bad news if you have a go-to game like Overwatch or something that you're always playing (mine's KI, which weighs in at nearly 50GB). If you get talked into getting a non-stock cooler (and it sounds like the stock coolers are pretty unpleasant, so I don't blame you if you do) then you're halfway to getting a K CPU, so consider that, and don't tell yourself that the K chip will be cheaper to upgrade to later when you're reluctant to upgrade CPU+board+RAM.

Definitely wait for Kaby Lake unless you can't spare the time. It looks like pricing isn't going to differ from Skylake at all, you might be surprised by how little the Skylake prices shift (the 6600K might even go up in price eventually), and you'll get a little extra performance and some features around the edges that might or might not improve your experience. The lower-end H and B motherboards in particular look like they might close the gap somewhat between themselves and the Z boards.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: Sorry about my ignorance, but what's the difference between a K chip and a regular one? And what does it have to do with the stock cooler? I thought it was just a bit faster.

Seems like kaby lake will already be available when I plan to buy the PC, so this is a good idea! Thanks!

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totsboy: The K chips have unlocked clock multipliers, which means you can overclock them. (Or at least, you can overclock them without doing questionable things with the base clock that you probably don't want to mess with.) The main reason you might want to consider overclocking is to stave off obsolescence 3 or 4 years from now.

The K chips also have faster factory clock speeds generally, i.e. they're more powerful out of the box too.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hmoney001

If you want to overclock you will need to get a Z170-Z270 level motherboard for the K series procs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.