Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building My First PC. Need Opinions

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theOSUman365

I want to get into pc gaming, but I currently am using a 4 year old laptop. So I've been talking on other boards and getting a bunch of help, but I need new opinions because I've basically been talking to the same 5 people. So here's my specs, and there will also be some questions at the end. Tell me what you think and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you also answer my questions? Pwetty Pwease?

CPU
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Maru

1.Yes you can run it on your 1080p lcd TV, but I belive you may have to buy a DVI to HDMI adpater for it, unless your TV has a DVI port.

2. Well this depends how long will current generation will stay,  I would say your video card is good for another year or two

3. I have no clue regarding wireless stuff :)

Your set up looks good except the case.... I would recommand this one its only $30 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137 and has much better air flow or Antec 900 (bad cable management though). 

You might also want to look into this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131296

Do you really need that Norton Virus program ?  You can just download Avast, Spybot Search and Destroy, Asquared Free, and Adware on your PC for free.

Oh and you may want to pick up an aftermarket CPU heatsink also.

Good luck.

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Video_Tycoon

For #3, you can pretty much just head to a local future shop or staples and ask the people there, for a mouse, it probably doesnt matter, but they should have some info about the good and bad headsets and keyboards.    (why would you need a wireless keyboard anyway??)

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By bjorno

looks good, try and get an aftermarket heatsink too. Thems motherfuckers is cheap as fuck and cool your chip like an eskimo with sunglasses.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By agent_lost

oh you might want to look at a Video Card that support HDCP protection protocol, so that your TV will not freak out went you plug in your new rig, the card that you selected is a good one. It will also double as Blu-Ray player if you install a Blu-Ray drive in your PC.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StressedOutCat

Everything looks to be pretty good..
    the one thing I would defiantly change is the symantec norton security... trust me do not get it. when you use norton on your computer you stop being the user.. norton just takes over and your the spectater.. they are less bloated more efficient software security applications out there... I suggest you take look at the nod32

next suggestion I would make.. if you can afford it.. try to get 8gb ddr2 800mhz of ram instead of 4gb.. specialy if you going to use vista 64bit.. it improves the experiance allot

as for your questions :

1. yes the vidcard you picked is HDCP compatible it should work well with a 1080p hdtv... all you need is a hdmi cable... think the card already comes with a dvi to hdmi adapter [ std setting work well for video and games... but you may wanna increase the dpi setting in vista so the text/icons become more readable ]
    2. depending on what games you planning to play what settings you like playing.. ( with the current vidcard selected ) 2 maybe 3 years... you probably squeez some more years out of it if you upgrade the vidcard when it starts to show its age.
    3. its possible to go wireless on everything ( including the headset ) but its not recommended... mostly because the extra cost and reliability ..
    last tip I can give you might wanna concider... add a soundcard to the list..
    I know the motherboard comes with a soundcard built in... but so far even the cheapest soundcard has better performance in sound than anything that comes with on the montherboard... even some usb/firewire one are better than built in ones.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By xruntime

Ok, first off, that Norton internet security thing is worthless. If you really need a firewall, you can get a good one for free.

Your processor is excellent - it's a top of the line part. I'd venture as far as to say you might not have to replace it for 5 years.

The Wireless adapter looks good, but you might want to invest in a Wireless-N one because that's apparently the future.

If you don't need 640 GB of space, I'd get a 10,000 RPM drive. It'll cost the same with some concessions in the size.

64 Bit OS will allow you to take advantage of all 4 GB of that RAM. Great.

Now, the graphics card is a weak one, considering that you've went with top of the line parts for everything else.

I recommend you skimp on the processor a little so that you can get a 9800 GX2, GTX 260, or HD 4870.

1) Definitely.
    2) Longer, if you get a better graphics card.
    3) To be honest, this doesn't really matter unless you're a serious gamer. As in competitive serious. Shouldn't cost you more than 30 bucks for all of them.

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theOSUman365

Thanks alot guys (or girls, I don't know) you have been a bunch of help.

My budget is $1000 at the MOST so stuff like a HD 4870 or 8gb of ram is a little too much.

So I guess my last question is, for $1000, is this a pretty sweet rig...thing? Or can I do better? (all this stuff costs like $1001 fyi)

Again, THANKS!!!

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By TomA

First of all, i wouldn't invest buy a computer based on advice you got off of a forum.So go to a place that custom builds PC's in real life(shocking I know) and talk to them,get a quote from them showing all the different parts and such,and i would recommend getting them to test and install it for you,just in case,and buy the FULL warranty.But as far as specs go,don't trust people on the internet,chances are they don't know nearly as much as someone who does it for a living does.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Demilich

As said already, all the protection software can be downloaded for free. And your biggest asset is common sense.

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By theOSUman365
    TomA said:
    "First of all, i wouldn't invest buy a computer based on advice you got off of a forum.So go to a place that custom builds PC's in real life(shocking I know) and talk to them,get a quote from them showing all the different parts and such,and i would recommend getting them to test and install it for you,just in case,and buy the FULL warranty.But as far as specs go,don't trust people on the internet,chances are they don't know nearly as much as someone who does it for a living does."
    I know what you mean because it's already crossed my mind. However, going to a real world place is easier said than done. I asked a friend who I knew had built a pc or two, but the last one he built was in '04 and now he's a mac guy. Would you know of anyone I could talk to, or maybe a site I could send an e-mail?

Until then, I'll continue to take message board posts with a grain of salt. Thanks (thats not a sarcastic thanks)
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Demilich

Actually aside from maybe a few compatibility mistakes, this is as good a place as any to get some information. But your best friend is research. Ask on other forums, compare prices, check reviews and don't rush into anything. At the very least what you can take away from this thread is that buying anti-spyware/virus software is a waste of time and money.

Anglin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Anglin

If it were me I would get a Q6600. More games are recognizing multi core processors 2+. The build looks good though. As far as building a pc goes, its simple. Just look around on the web and you will find guides and videos to help.
    1. Yes
    2. 2 Years atleast, even then all you should need is another video card.
    3. The best cordless mouse i have used is the Logitech G7. Keyboards I can't really tell a difference in. And as for headsets I don't use them so I can't say.

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theOSUman365
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

You young whippersnappers and your terabyte whizbang computer machines!  I'm running an 8 MB computer with EGA graphics.  If it works for me, it's good enough for you, dagnabit!

Uh, seriously, though, that's a solid build.  As someone already mentioned, you might want to upgrade the case, but I don't really see any problems with what you've got.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By mikevanpwn

If you can, buy the case at a store in your area 'cause it would save you 20 bucks for not having to ship that.

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theOSUman365

mikevanpwn said:

"If you can, buy the case at a store in your area 'cause it would save you 20 bucks for not having to ship that."

Do places like Best Buy sell cases?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xruntime
    TomA said:
    "First of all, i wouldn't invest buy a computer based on advice you got off of a forum.So go to a place that custom builds PC's in real life(shocking I know) and talk to them,get a quote from them showing all the different parts and such,and i would recommend getting them to test and install it for you,just in case,and buy the FULL warranty.But as far as specs go,don't trust people on the internet,chances are they don't know nearly as much as someone who does it for a living does."
    That's true, but custom PC builders are under a different circumstance - their advice may not be good because they're in the business of profit-making.

I think, however, a good number of PC users on this forum have built machines and are knowledgeable about PC parts.

OSUman - It's definitely pretty good for a 1k rig. But I must emphasize again that you really should tone down the processor and upgrade that graphics card - the way your system is now, the graphics card might last two years, and the rest of the system will last around 4-5 years. If you want better longevity you gotta improve that GPU....
    theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By theOSUman365
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xruntime

CPU - Looks great.

GPU - For roughly the *same* price you can get a 9800 GX2 which is much better in performance. However, Best Buy's prices are significantly higher than NewEgg's.

Price - You saved 20 bucks on the CPU, and the GPU is about 60 dollars more. So you're tacking on 40 bucks to the price...

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By theOSUman365
    shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shimbibby

thats really funny, I actually just finished pricing up my pc to hook up to my 32'' aquos, its really similar to yours except i was thinking of going quad core.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
    this is the case i have on my current pc and love it...and its quite beautiful

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136178

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104060

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131275

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106606

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253

I already have a 500w power supply
    is it worth the extra $$ for the 4850 I have instead of a 9800gt?

but yea, the stuff you have is pretty damn good except that antivirus stuff ...i guess its a toss up between the E8500 and the Q6600

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sushbag

First of all get a more powerful power supply, myself and several of my friends have the 620W Corsair supply and it is really good. Dont waste money trying to go el cheapo on one, realizing later you need more power.

I'd also recommend getting an Intel motherboard or something that supports crossfire.

And get a second Visiontek hd4850, to use with said mobo. I just bought two of them, which was no hassle since I already had the Intel mobo to begin with. If you buy a non-crossfire mobo now and want to setup dual cards later, yea. Especially since you're getting the 4850, you're gunna want another one later :D

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By theOSUman365

When I start building will I have EVERYTHING I need to start builing? Will I have all the cables, screws, and cords I need, or will I need to get those separately?

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bjorno

those come with the case and motherboard.

theOSUman365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theOSUman365

thanks bjorno

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.