Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Confused about Ventrilo

Avatar image for deactivated-60a8233baa5c9
    deactivated-60a8233baa5c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I recently heard about Ventrilo, I was just wondering how it works with PC games like COD and other popular games, does it only work when you get your own group of friends playing on the same server but you speak to each other on Vent? Or can you also join a server thats linked to the server that your playing on? So that everyone on that server can talk to each other through vent? I only ask becaue I have played some games where it seemed as though voice chat was non-existant, and wondering if alot of gamers are chatting through vent when playing?

I'm a PC gaming noob so I'd appreciate the help =P

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

It's a separate application apart from games. You download it, connect to a Ventrilo server and talk with people in the same server. You can do this while in a game, out of a game, whatever. It's not dependent on the game you're playing, or the server you're playing a game in. I'd say a majority of PC gamers use it or teamspeak. A lot of clans/guilds have a ventrilo or teamspeak server.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138

annoying why they cant have a decent party system like xbox live does . Steam has similar features to live but no party system :(

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpecTackle
    turbomonkey138 said:
    "annoying why they cant have a decent party system like xbox live does . Steam has similar features to live but no party system :("
    Not really annoying. Unfortunately some PC games have began adopting the party system and match making, like Left 4 Dead, and are far worse off because of it.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By xplodedd

how is ventrilo special? is it that good?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpecTackle
    xplodedd said:
    "how is ventrilo special? is it that good?"
    It has had better voice quality in the past over the likes of Team Speak but I can't say that for sure anymore as I really only use an older version of ventrilo.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xplodedd
    CynageN said:
    "xplodedd said:
    "how is ventrilo special? is it that good?"
    It has had better voice quality in the past over the likes of Team Speak but I can't say that for sure anymore as I really only use an older version of ventrilo."
    has it changed much in the last couple of years.. i haven't used it for a while
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By atejas

hamachi is more convenient, especially if your games' sources are......less than impeccable, but it doesn't have voice chat.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atejas
    Miniman said:
    "atejas said:
    "hamachi is more convenient, especially if your games' sources are......less than impeccable, but it doesn't have voice chat."
    Err, they are very different programs. Hamachi is for connecting through LAN, Ventrillo is for voice chat."
    I was under the impression you connected to servers over vent as well, much like hamachi.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does this create a barrier between the people who chat in game and the people who are chatting in vent? If they are all playing on the same server?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpecTackle
    Jman522 said:
    "So does this create a barrier between the people who chat in game and the people who are chatting in vent? If they are all playing on the same server?"
    Somewhat, but it's not really that big of a deal. Most clans use it for competitive purposes.atejas said:
    "Miniman said:
    "atejas said:
    "hamachi is more convenient, especially if your games' sources are......less than impeccable, but it doesn't have voice chat."
    Err, they are very different programs. Hamachi is for connecting through LAN, Ventrillo is for voice chat."
    I was under the impression you connected to servers over vent as well, much like hamachi."
    Hamachi is for creating a VLAN so you can play games with people across the internet in LAN mode for whatever reason. It's nothing like a VoIP program.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpecTackle
    Jman522 said:
    "So does this create a barrier between the people who chat in game and the people who are chatting in vent? If they are all playing on the same server?"
    Somewhat, but it's not really that big of a deal. Most clans use it for competitive purposes, and in that case usually everyone on your team is on vent or teamspeak during matches.

atejas said:
    "Miniman said:
    "atejas said:
    I was under the impression you connected to servers over vent as well, much like hamachi."
    Hamachi is for creating a VLAN so you can play games with people across the internet in LAN mode for whatever reason. It's nothing like a VoIP program.
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Babble

Not many PC games have voice chat except maybe Valve stuff so Ventrilo is the work around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does any of the COD's for PC have voice chat included or do people just use Vent for it?

lisalake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lisalake

I found a vent alternative called Voxli (voxli.com).  It's web-based so you don't have to setup a server, and it's free for now.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xplodedd
    Jman522 said:
    "Does any of the COD's for PC have voice chat included or do people just use Vent for it?"
    cod4 has voice chat, but no one really uses it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.